1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[Development Thread]WW1 Mod: Blood and Iron

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Creation & Customization' started by snafusmith, Jan 13, 2008.

1. snafusmith

snafusmith Unit Maker

The tech tree, units, improvements, buildings, civs, resources, promotions, etc. Pretty much everything (except 1 or 2 unit graphics) is done. It just needs some scenarios. It's like a board game with all the pieces and rules but no board. ;)

2. kiwitt

kiwitt Road to War Modder

I wouldn't mind having a look at it. May even try to create a scenario for it.

It would make a good pre-game for my own mod.

3. RPG

RPG King

I'm interested in seeing all the work you put into it.

4. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Deity

I was also quite interested in this mod...

5. PPQ_Purple

PPQ_Purple Techpriest Engineer

Publish what you have. There are a lot of people here who would love to get their hands on it.

6. Voyhkah

Voyhkah Political Activist

Some of those WWI tanks might find a reskinned and slightly modified home in my mod, as Landships.

7. Barbarian King

Barbarian King Prince

If it is that finished and only really needs a scenario, you should definitely upload it. I would be interested in making a scenario for this.

8. Skitters

Skitters Prince

My eyes lit up when I saw this thread had been active again.

I'd definitely download

9. snafusmith

snafusmith Unit Maker

Ok, I'll see if I can't post what I've got this weekend. No promises, but I'll try.

10. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Deity

With all these people interested in it you should rather find some time to finish the mod ;)

11. PPQ_Purple

PPQ_Purple Techpriest Engineer

Yea, really man. I mean, you have people here who are complete addicts for this thread and like absolute WW1 fans. And there are more than enough people would would be more than willing to help out if you just give instructions.

12. kiwitt

Thanks mate.

And I understand RL takes precedence. I'll see what I can do on the scenario front.

I may use the Road to War map as well and simply place new ... errr ... older units on it.

13. snafusmith

snafusmith Unit Maker

Thanks all for the kind words. Blood and Iron has been in the works for over 3 years now, I had no idea it'd been so long! I honestly think it's just about finished. There are a few more minor things to take care of (some graphics and there's always work to be done in the civilopedia), but mostly it's the scenarios - something I don't think I'll ever get to. When I post it, I'll be sure to keep some threads open at the top of the thread to post links to all the scenarios I hope will be made.

14. Manifold

Manifold ModderProtectionAdvocate

That seems to me a very good reason to return to civ4. cant wait to see your masterpiece

15. snafusmith

snafusmith Unit Maker

Ok all, the big day is here - let's see what you can do with it!

Blood and Iron

16. mamba

mamba Deity

Great, I thought this would be MIA forever :D

17. kiwitt

Currently finishing off my SP1 for my mod. But will definitely be working on a scenario for this.

NOTE: I will probably do the same as mine with Divisions, Corps, Armies and Fronts, etc.

18. Barbarian King

Barbarian King Prince

Here is a basic scenario for this mod. This mod still needs some work, as tech costs need to be balanced and you need a new gamefont, but overall it's pretty good.

19. Skitters

Skitters Prince

Was giving this a go last night - playing as Britain. Think the science levels need to be tweaked somewhat as each research project was being churned out in a turn.

By the time you've traded with allies the whole tech tree is researched before the end of 1914

Britain also starts with way too big an army, and too small a navy (should be a load of Dreadnoughts and even a couple of Super Dreadnoughts). With the bulk of the fleet starting in the North of the British Isles (Scapa Flo)

All that said I enjoyed it, and after some initial successes I found my advance into Imperial Germany quickly got ground down.

I think the thing this perhaps highlights is that it is difficult to push the nations along the historical path.

As such I'm thinking I'd like to try to build a map that concentrates solely on the Western Front. Perhaps 2 versions - one for the Schlieffen Plan, and the second from December 1914 when it had moved into trench warfare, both with just Britain, France, Belgium and Germany in play.

If events could then be added to represent;
    British Colonial troops (random event, that adds a single infantry unit at a time)
    1915/16 British troop numbers boosted significantly by 'volunteer' army
    German troops from the Eastern Front in 1917
    A small smattering of US troops in 1917
    A large number of US troops in 1918

20. Barbarian King

Barbarian King Prince

Those are some good suggestions that I'll definitely take into consideration if I improve my scenario. The tech tree thing is due to the fact that Snafusmith (who made this mod) apparently hadn't yet gotten around to balancing tech costs (they're all at 75 beakers iirc) and I simply made a WB scenario and not a mod-mod. Your idea for a scenario sounds good, so you should definitely make it if you have the time.