[Development Thread]WW1 Mod: Blood and Iron

I would, if there was any real possibility to "dig holes" into the terrain. This would require changing the heightmaps, and that again cannot be done by a feature overlay (afaik, if you find a solution, let me know). I know it's not a real trench, but i tried to get as close as possible by making it look like they made a parapet out of the earth.

EDIT: Hmm, now that you brought that up, i had an idea: It might be possible to fake the effect of "holes" in the ground by using a material with inverted z-test function ... I have to test this, but it might actually work :) Can't promise anything though

Yes, you cannot dig into the ground in this game from what I hear. What you have created looks fine to me. Its alot better than a bunch of forts in a line, right?

I think the RoM(or was it the WWII 1939 team) team have created something like trenches(Infantry can build forts/trenches/bunkers/bunker systems, like a worker builds a fort). This way it allows the map to be(mostly) bare, with the exceptions of some roads/railroads, mines, and maybe wells for oil.

You could think of it as separate early 'bastions' (perhaps something star-shape fortress alike) becoming connected over time with full-scale trenches like you're creating now.

Well, star-shaped forts were really outdated at the time of world war one ;)
They were already outdated in the 19th century, due to the increased power of artillery shells, which have an easy target in the large walls of such a fort. Forts of ww1 were all built deeply into the ground with the greatest part hidden and protected under large amounts of earth and concrete. Only some defensive pillboxes for artillery and machine guns and observers were visible from the outside. However, even after the invention of steel reinforced concrete, a fortress could only withstand the huge calibres for so long (see Fort Douaumont)

I think the RoM(or was it the WWII 1939 team) team have created something like trenches(Infantry can build forts/trenches/bunkers/bunker systems, like a worker builds a fort).

Thanks for the hint :)
I took a look at how they did it in WWII 1939 (couldn't find any trench stuff in RoM) and it seems they just use a single "fort-like" improvement:

Looks pretty nice, but "real" trench systems are still better ;)

About my previous idea for making holes:
It is not that simple. It might work with a combination of stencil buffer + z-buffer and exploiting the fact that the trenches are the ultimate background (nothing will be drawn behind them) and using intermediate geometry writing to the stencil buffer to prevent the trench faces from overwriting closer faces. It would require some shader coding, even though that shader would be very simple (doesn't even need a fragment shader), which might be annoying for people with older hardware. So, i guess this could be an option for a later time, but right now it's not really worth the effort.

Now for some good news: besides the trenches, i also started work on a "Nomansland" terrain type. I made a python script for blender to create a shell cratered landscape, which could replace the original fertile soil after prolonged bombardment. Enjoy :)

I want to improve my barbed wire on the trenches, more like these: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:German_stormtroops_training_Sedan_May_1917_3.jpg

After some finishing touches on the textures and making a second variation, i guess i can then upload the first version. Btw. do you know if it's possible to replace files in the civfanatics database with newer versions for that purpose?

@Lukrassos,

Those craters look great - they'd be a great addition. Dale's combat mod includes battle effects, you should check it out. I'm hoping we can add in your craters as the main look a tile gets after units duke it out.

I started work on some trench models today - I'd already made some barbed wire and pillboxes before, now it's just a matter of making the trench itself.

-Smitty

Sorry, i don't want to be nitpicking, but why do you want to make new trenches all over again? If you're not happy with the models i made, it's no problem, they're not completely finished anyway. But why reinvent the wheel?

What i did realize though when playing WWII 1939 is that on a large scale scenario map like theirs there is hardly enough room for trenches to show their full beauty - the area of northern france is perhaps 6 to 8 tiles wide ...
This doesn't mean the system is worthless, especially since from what you wrote earlier on i get that the main scenario will be slightly smaller than that. Also, imo it could be quite interesting to have smaller areas of europe or the mediterranean covered in individual scenarios, like "western front", "gallipoli", "eastern front", "mountain war"/"isonzo", etc.

Sorry, i don't want to be nitpicking, but why do you want to make new trenches all over again? If you're not happy with the models i made, it's no problem, they're not completely finished anyway. But why reinvent the wheel?

I like making models, so that's why I'm making my own; it's nothing to do with what you've made.

@All-
I've been working on the gamefont files to get the new religion icons working. I finished them up tonight but for some reason they don't work. Anyone know how to get them fixed? If I posted them here, would anyone be willing to try and get them to work in game?

Thanks,
-Smitty

Send me those files :)

I like making models, so that's why I'm making my own; it's nothing to do with what you've made.

Alright, good luck then ;)
Just make sure you get the dimensions right and don't leave any gaps at the tile ends. You can take my models for reference. If you have any questions, feel free to pm me :)

Here is my trench system so far. I will put this on hold until i can see what you come up with:

http://www.filefront.com/15059077/trench.zip

And here is the nomansland terrain:

http://www.filefront.com/15059137/nomansland.zip

Would it be possible to get my hands on the full mod package (as far as it is now)? Did you upload it somewhere already? I downloaded all the stuff i could find from the database, but i don't really want to start hacking it all together when i could simply get a working package ;)

EDIT: Made some screenshots of the recent changes:

EDIT2:
Made a new "destroyed forest" type feature for use as another battle effect:

And here are the actual files:

http://www.filefront.com/15072081/deadforest.zip

Note that none of the stuff i made is really implemented in terms of gameplay yet, all the screens are made in the world editor.

cool, those terrain graphics look great! That'll add a lot of atmosphere to the game!
Could it be implemented that tiles with trenches cannot be worked... and that bombarded tiles and or destroyed forests give more unhealthiness in nearby cities? I think that would be a very appropriate effect...

Could it be implemented that tiles with trenches cannot be worked... and that bombarded tiles and or destroyed forests give more unhealthiness in nearby cities? I think that would be a very appropriate effect...

Sure, at least the nomansland terrain & forest should have this effect. But thats more a matter of gameplay and testing the effects than difficulty of implementation.

@snafusmith: Any news on the mod? How are your trenches coming along?

In the meantime, i started working on leaderheads :)

Started this from scratch, i.e. its a completely custom model & rig (why? i like making models too ;) ) This allows me to make some really unique animations also, unlike most other leaderhead additions, which basically seem to use a different texture on a slightly modified model - which is perfectly ok, but i like the challenge :D

Ok, so I know you guys are probably wondering what's going on... here's the deal: I've been very busy lately with work, real life (12-14 hour days, 6 days a week), and traveling. Blood and Iron is essentially ready for release. It's stable when playing and all of the major items are in place. I've started to make some scenarios (Europe 1914 and a Timeline-191 America 1914). In doing so, I've found I don't much like making scenarios. I have no problem tweaking them, but placing cities on a map, along with everything else just bores me to death. That said:

*I need someone to make some scenarios for Blood and Iron!*

If one or more of you are up to the challenge, please PM me and we'll work out the details of getting you the most recent build to work off of.

-Smitty

I'd rather not be making the Scenarios myself, but I saw a Benelux map on this forum a while back. Someone may wish to make a Western Front Scenario with it.

I would really love to make a map/scenario for this mod. Do you prefer a specific sector?

I guess a whole Europe map should be up northeast, because there is no need of Spain/Northafrica but on the other hand it should contain the Mesopotamia-sector.

I would really love to make a map/scenario for this mod. Do you prefer a specific sector?

I guess a whole Europe map should be up northeast, because there is no need of Spain/Northafrica but on the other hand it should contain the Mesopotamia-sector.

It could be orientated so that the top of the screen faces North-East as opposed to North.

Thanks for translation.
Here is my idea for a map with top of the screen faces North-East and
with enlarged Western front and Italian campaign at the expense of Scandinavia.

Attachments

• nno.JPG
    nno.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 136
You may want to go slightly further north, to include slightly more of Finland. At the start of the war they were a vassal of Russia but gained independence in 1918 and then had a Civil War between the German-backed whites and the Russian-backed Reds.

Happy New Year!

What mapsize it should have? What should be the plot-distance between Paris and Verdun (=Ypres-Aachen)?
Is Finland such important for this mod, that it needs processor capacity? A civilwar needs two more factions? I would prefer some Irish guerilla.

Happy New Year!

What mapsize it should have? What should be the plot-distance between Paris and Verdun (=Ypres-Aachen)?
Is Finland such important for this mod, that it needs processor capacity? A civilwar needs two more factions? I would prefer some Irish guerilla.

Finland's independence and Civil War had a sizeable impact on the Second World War and the Cold War. I'd say if the map stops one tile above the Karelian Ithmus that'll be fine.

Thanks for translation.
Here is my idea for a map with top of the screen faces North-East and
with enlarged Western front and Italian campaign at the expense of Scandinavia.

Great map, like the angle, but yes, it needs to be expanded.

Top Bottom