DG3 Info Gathering - Rules (edit scenario)

Shall we use vanilla Civ3 or allow customization in DG3?

• Straight Civ3

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Consider Tinkering

Votes: 15 68.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaitan

der Besucher
This is an informational poll for Demogame III (DG3). We will allow the info polls to remain up for several days so we have a basis for discussion of what particulars to use in DG3.

This particular poll is for Rules Customization. Should we use straight Civ3 or tinker? Tinkering would include things like lethal bombardment, etc.

Some tinkering. I don't want another pangaea. We need to learn how to use a navy. :D

Vanilla Civ3.

Not only do some people not have PtW, but those who do are also divided into two groups: 1.21f users and 1.14f users.

Remember what happened when Falcon accidently played the game with the 1.29f save? :) (Poor Stuck_as_a_Mac couldn't play).

Yes. PTW is still not perfect, but I think it does offer some improvements/enhancements that should be seriously considered before arbitrarily dismissing it as not viable for our demogame.

I seem to recall in an earlier poll, that almost 3/4 of those polled stated that they have PTW. I would suggest that we consider polling this issue once again, but include the following options:

1. Civ3 - 1.29f
2. PTW - 1.14f
3. PTW - 1.21f

Furthermore, if there are inconsistencies between platforms (ie. Windows vs Mac), then we may wish to include those options as well.

Based on this poll, we may better find a version of Civ that takes advantage of the most features and improvement available, while including as many of our participants as possible as well (ie. it might well prove to be that PTW 1.14f is the best option available as it currently is available to all of Europe as well as America).

Originally posted by FortyJ
Yes. PTW is still not perfect, but I think it does offer some improvements/enhancements that should be seriously considered before arbitrarily dismissing it as not viable for our demogame.

I seem to recall in an earlier poll, that almost 3/4 of those polled stated that they have PTW. I would suggest that we consider polling this issue once again, but include the following options:

1. Civ3 - 1.29f
2. PTW - 1.14f
3. PTW - 1.21f

Furthermore, if there are inconsistencies between platforms (ie. Windows vs Mac), then we may wish to include those options as well.

Based on this poll, we may better find a version of Civ that takes advantage of the most features and improvement available, while including as many of our participants as possible as well (ie. it might well prove to be that PTW 1.14f is the best option available as it currently is available to all of Europe as well as America).
I would recommend removing 1.21f from the list of options altogether, unless you are willing to accept the possibility of a US only demogame.

My intention was not to use the poll to determine which version we should play, but rather which version everyone's currently playing (or capable of playing).

Besides, hopefully, Firaxis will release the European 1.21f patch soon (for the sake of the MSDG at least... <- shameless plug for more participants... ;)) and then we'll all be able to enjoy the benefits of PTW.

lets try out some of the good mod that are on the site. That could be a cool thing.

Suggestions for mods:

Fantasy Empires by Balrog
Double your pleasure by Kal-el
Test Of Time by thurkan

other mods are also good but we need a big mod wich have lots of gameplay...

Originally posted by FortyJ
My intention was not to use the poll to determine which version we should play, but rather which version everyone's currently playing (or capable of playing).

Besides, hopefully, Firaxis will release the European 1.21f patch soon (for the sake of the MSDG at least... <- shameless plug for more participants... ;)) and then we'll all be able to enjoy the benefits of PTW.
So what exactly would be the purpose of this poll, if it's not to decide which version we should play? ;)

Unfortunately I don't believe that it's the friendly and comparatively contactable Firaxis that we're waiting on to release a euro-patch, but the faceless and remote Infogrames instead. So I'm not holding out much hope of seeing such a thing any time soon :(

the point is if we should use a scenario or not...

BTW: We should use 1.29 as this we would be fair for everyone...
(Im saying this as a ptw user...)

Quite right John. This poll is not about what version we should play but if we should use the editor to change anything. This would be things like making artillery deadly, adjusting the traits of a civ, removing mobilization ability to counter the mobilization expoit bug, etc.

or just use a mod made by some modder...

We should consider Tinkering with it. I voluntere to make the Modified Rule set :).

I think naval ships should have better bombardment and movement in the later ages. I also think planes should be able to sink ships. Better bombardment for artillary and aircraft.

I can help out CG too. We're both in the Tournament afterall...

I would be against tinkering if it were to make the game even easier for us. I mean, look at the cakewalk we have now. Some folks were worried about victory in the late Middle Ages, but we pretty much laid the groundwork for our current rout. Tipping the odds even more in our favor would take away more of the suspense, especially if we are considering downgrading to Monarch.

I say play it straight up, unless we are going to put ourselves at a disadvantage with the modifications.

Let's tinker with it. I think people who don't have PTW should get it (cmon its only like 20 bucks) and we could play one of the great PTW scenarios out there such as Double Your Pleasure.

Another idea is to run a PBEM DG with different teams similar to the one going on at Apolyton. We could also run a regular and a PBEM DG like at Apolyton. The only problem I see with this is getting private forums. However, the mods at CDG would probably get us a few forums there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom