1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

DG4 Ruleset: Modify Or From Scratch?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Demo Game III: Citizens' started by Donovan Zoi, Oct 27, 2003.

1. Donovan Zoi

Donovan Zoi The Return

I couldn't have said it better, Boots. And it would seem that an overwhelming majority of the citizenry are aware of this as well, based on the results of this poll.

So, please, no more complaints about the time between games, as it adds nothing to what we are trying to accomplish here. And, donsig, please continue to post your dissent throughout this entire process if you wish; the rework will continue unfettered, thanks to a strong mandate by the people.

Now, here's the good news. Until I hear from Ravensfire, I plan on reworking the DG2 Three Books from the top down, starting with the Constitution. This, donsig, is where you will be able to suggest modifying the DG2 Constitution by replacing it with the DG3 Constitution, which is admittedly a stronger(yet slightly flawed) document. Hopefully even you can see that it is easier to poll every facet individually now that we have this procedure in place.

Now that most of this preliminary nonsense is out of the way, we are about to get to the good stuff. I am going to post links to two new discussions shortly.

2. Donovan Zoi

Donovan Zoi The Return

3. donsig

donsig Low level intermediary

Rest assured I will continue to post my dissent. Where do I go to propose we swap the DG2 constitution for the DG3 constitution?

As for reworking the DG2 rules set, I would like to remind everyone - especially you DZ - that we should really look at the number of levels. The original proposal was to have a constitution (general and vague, difficult to change), a set of laws (more specific, easier to change) and a set of procedures (very specific, set by current leaders, therefore very easy to change). This concept was changed by Shaitan. The procedures level was turned into another lower for of laws. shaitan's idea was that the Code of Standards would serve as a proving ground of sorts for new laws. The idea was that a new law would first be a standard and if it worked well the standard would be moved up to a law. In the meantime the idea that there was actually some things that should be left up the leaders was lost. So the main point here is, do we need all three levels? If you all insist on this silly exercise of TAKING A WHOLE MONTH TO WRITE RULES instead of playing DG4, would it not be easier to just have a constitution and a code of laws?

4. Donovan Zoi

Donovan Zoi The Return

Actually, donsig, check the post above yours to the recently opened Constitution thread. In it you will see that I am in support of using most of the superior DG3 Constitution intact. If I am not mistaken, you have already posted in that thread and said we shouldn't be discussing the Constitution yet(a fact which I tend to agree with, but we since will not be polling anything there for awhile I didn't think it would hurt to start a dialogue).

You have to understand that when I proposed the modification of DG2, I didn't want the resulting poll to reflect every possible permutation(modify the DG2 CoL with the DG3 Constitution etc) so I decided it would be best to start a process and deconstruct it from there.

As for my "silly" notion(you can blame it all on me as I am the one who set the kickoff date) of a more indepth ruleset, all I can say is we need something more. And since the holiday season is upon us, I figured it would be a good time to hunker down and tie up alot of loose ends --- all of them if possible. ;) From my standpoint, there is more to this stretched out deadline than just writing laws. It also means ensuring that our new website interface is running smoothly with a solid support staff so that we can work to get the proper information out to a justifiably needy public. It brings the marquee value of "DG4 in '04," which I plan to use as a marketing tool to build interest in the coming weeks.

So let's kick back, enjoy the holidays, write some laws and brace ourselves for a very memorable DG4. We have two months to get it right, and I plan on using it to the fullest. :)

5. Donovan Zoi

Donovan Zoi The Return

As for your query into whether we need three books or not, I suppose that is debateable, but I would still insist that almost everything that is covered in the DG2 ruleset makes it to the new one(except for a few obsolete passages). So I would rather have three sections than a fatter CoL.