Did Oracle cheat again to win the cup ?

Is this the top story in the New Zealand press right now?

Well no one from the USA~1 has stood up to defend their team, I wonder why.

Because it isn't worth the effort to discuss the whining of sore losers?

Some in San Francisco are saying Oracle modified the forward section of the catamaran hulls, making them rounder to speed the boat’s progression up onto the hydrofoils that lifted the massive yachts above the waves. (Note: In this post-race interview, Coutts said it was a combination of sailing wider angles upwind, trading greater distance for higher speed, some changes to the wing, and removing the center spine from the bow. He called “complete baloney” reports that Oracle installed a computer-controlled system for adjusting the foils. “We were quite happy to have Team New Zealand believe that,” he said.)

Shore crews were observed working on the boat all night after each race, and Spithill and his teammates watched video replays to hone their all-important starting tactics. Teams of design engineers tweaked the boat throughout the campaign, as speeds increased for both yachts through a combination of practice and changes in the hardware.

While Ellison spared no expense in designing and building Oracle’s high-speed catamarans, he was caught by surprise when the Kiwis exploited loopholes in the rules to get their boat up and foiling on right-angle curves they built into the boats’ centerboards. The cats proved extremely difficult to sail at speed, since the rules prohibited control surfaces on the rudder foils to adjust the vertical attitude of the boat. Instead, crewmen used subtle changes in the trunk that enclosed the centerboards to control how the boat rode on the foils, transforming what were supposed to be water-bound catamarans into far faster, and more dangerous hydrofoils. British sailor Andrew “Bart” Simpson was killed when the Swedish Team Artemis cat he was riding on broke up and capsized in May.

Because the AC72's are awesome!

I agree.

I've been watching the America's Cup since the 80s. I can certainly understand how some were bored to tears by the regattas in the past. There was a lot of nuance involved in finding the races interesting.

But these sailboats are radically different. Even those who have never shown any interest in sailboat racing have become captivated by the AC72s.

Link to video.

Top Bottom