1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Diplomacy AI Development

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by Recursive, Feb 14, 2020.

1. DizzKneeLand33

DizzKneeLand33 Fall from Heaven 2 still rocks

Can someone point me to the file right before the brokered war and no AI asking friends for war started? Without AI asking for war (of their friends) the game just loses a lot. I don't mind waiting until the other stuff is worked out.

February was a great patch for this. The current one makes no sense at all. (In addition to AI selling cities)

2. Uncle_Joe

Uncle_Joe Prince

Well so it looks like my first game was a fluke (with no wars declared on me). In my current game (on King+), I'm getting the chain-spamming of DoWs. One of my neighbors will DoW (largely legit reasons like territorial dispute, forced conversions etc) and then with a handful of turns, practically the rest of the world will DoW me for no real reason (they are Friendly/Neutral) and they really don't do anything (other than lose trade deals etc). In many cases, they are also losing trade routes to others because I actively hunt down cargo ships, unlike the AI.

And every time I've been invited to join a war earlier (before the chain-spamming of wars on me), it's always for ridiculously low offers or they even want a lot from me.

3. AndreyK

AndreyK Warlord

I have tried 3 games in a new version and wars seem OK. AI have war since Classical between each other, I have been declared multiple times, many times they propose joint wars. Seems that it also depends on which AI are in game, last game I have many Authority neighbors (Large map, epic, in Classical found 6 - Zulu, Persia, Aztecs,Indonesia, France and America). Still in Classical but already there is war Zulu and Aztecs, Persia and America - had 2 proposed wars from Aztecs and Persia to Zulu that I declined.

4. Recursive

Recursive Moderator Moderator

I'm relieved that coop wars are still functional. :)

@Gazebo and everyone, I unfortunately need to take a break from modding for my own wellbeing, life has gotten really overwhelming recently and I'm juggling work and other responsibilities.

Hope y'all are well and staying safe during the pandemic.

5. Zanteogo

Zanteogo King

Best of luck Recursive. Thank you for everything.

6. JamesNinelives

JamesNinelives Emperor

Take care, friend! <3

7. XSamatan

XSamatan Chieftain

Is it possible to turn off AI selling cities? Or at least make it so expensive that only gifting a city is accepted.

Depending on the diplomatic map (embassies/DOF) AI will trade core cities to it's direct competition - it seems to me they value them not very much.

Regards
    XSamatan

8. Recursive

Recursive Moderator Moderator

Post an issue on Github re: city valuation in trade, Gazebo is handling Deal AI.

I can add an option, yes. I'll do that today real quick, an option to disable a trade item is easy.

Edit: It is done.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
    JamesNinelives and usadefcon1 like this.
  9. XSamatan

XSamatan Chieftain

Thanks!

JamesNinelives likes this.
  10. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

The AI is still too passive in the early game, so let me drill in a bit on what I'm looking for.

My issue is not that the AI is or is not declaring war "in general". My issue is that the AI is not taking advantage of my exploitive play.

For example, in most games, unless I'm next to a known warmonger, I often don't build a single military unit until chivalry, except for the couple of units I need for barb management. I also rarely build walls until this timeperiod either. I do this feeling extremely confident I won't be attacked. No AI should be okay with that, they should jump on me for that incredibly greedy play.

So what I would like to see if some minimum threshold of expected army strength. Probably an easy cut off is "1 unit of 'modern strength' per city".... max 7 (aka 7 or more units is at least a bare bones military, even with more cities). This is a bottom tier number, if I am not maintaining this bare bones military, the AI should get an massive aggressiveness bump....aka "frothing at the mouth".

11. andersw

andersw Emperor

Are you using standard settings?
    I've tested with turning off bribed wars and defensive pacts and then it seems almost nothing will cause an AI to attack on their own.

12. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

Standard Settings. Generally by medieval era around chivalry I'll start to see the first wars. Not always, but often.

13. JamesNinelives

JamesNinelives Emperor

Really? That's very different from my experiences. I regularly get attacked when my military force is below average in the Classical Era.

Spoiler :
    20201105173245_1.jpg

Spoiler :
    20201105181929_1.jpg

I tend to have a stronger relative military force in the Ancient Era so I can't really speak to that.

14. AndreyK

AndreyK Warlord

I have seen many wars in Ancient and Classical

15. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

It looks like you have Carthage and zulus as your neighbors, both of which I consider early game aggressors, and they would be the exceptions I noted in my post. Same as Japan or Aztec.

16. Gazebo

Gazebo Lord of the Community Patch Supporter

The AI was aberrantly deleting some units early on due to fears of GPT loss- I've addressed for next version.

G

17. JamesNinelives

JamesNinelives Emperor

Sorry, you did note that. Perhaps our experiences aren't so different. Starting next to an agressive civ just doesn't seem that uncommon to me.

I kind of like that more passive civs like Korea don't invade me when we're early neighbours. What would they gain from it? They're still establishing their own territory, so I figure they are better off focusing on developing it instead of warring. Particularly if we have mutual trade routes or are trading luxuries etc.

18. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

Again note I am in agreement with you....in most circumstances. If I have a baseline army, than I would absolutely expect Korea to stay passive, that's not what I'm asking. But I am able to go all the way to chivalry with 2 military units total....and most of the time they aren't even upgraded (so they may be warriors). That's the problem to me, Korea should see that and go (I can flatten this person with ease), and then attempt to do so.

19. JamesNinelives

JamesNinelives Emperor

OK, but how does that benefit Korea?

20. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

Gaining extra cities for almost no trouble is a pretty sweet deal. Or heck just pillage everything for raw monies....I couldn't do a thing to stop them.

Nightmare Dusk and InkAxis like this.