diplomatic problems

turfcat

Prince
Does anyone know if there's a way to reduce the unrealistic alliances that come about without having to set up permanent allainces.
Such as muslem nations allying with Christian nations during a medieval scenario.

Or prevent some unrealistice events like Ireland declaring war on Brazil during a WWII scenario.

Will the flavors editor handle this?:confused:

Making a civilizations Favorite Gov't be the same as another Civ's actual government selection will increase how much they like that civ by a small amount (very small), although this won't keep them from war, but will make it a bit less likely (although very small).

Flavors only affect what tech's a civ will research and buildings they will build; they won't make a civ like another more or less.

Tom

That's what I thought.
This is one of the unfortunate problems with civ3. I was hoping that someone had a method around it.
Sometimes you can get some ridiculous alliances and war declarations.
When I build a mod I like some flexibility while still keeping some historical accuracy.

Another problem I find sometimes is when two nations make peace and two turns later are allying with each other.(Not very likely)

That's what I thought.
This is one of the unfortunate problems with civ3. I was hoping that someone had a method around it.
Sometimes you can get some ridiculous alliances and war declarations.
When I build a mod I like some flexibility while still keeping some historical accuracy.

Another problem I find sometimes is when two nations make peace and two turns later are allying with each other.(Not very likely)
Well if it is a pre-gunpowder or early gunpowder scenario it actually is somewhat accurate. Many European powers would go to war sign a peace treaty and end up allies because of marriages of royal families. But I know what you mean it often seems ridiculous.

I wouldn't say that; it happens in real life. For instance, Russia was part of the peacekeeping force (allied with the US and other western countries) in the Baltics only a few years (one turn?) after the Soviet Union fell. There are other examples.

My favourite AI stupid diplomacy is when a Civ that is allied with you signs a trade embago against you.

Tom, I thought flavours affected civ relationships in a small way. That is, they make them like other Civs with the same flavour slightly more on first contact. Like the difference between cautious and polite attitude, but after that initial contact flavours no longer affects anything.

Cheers

Nick

My favourite AI stupid diplomacy is when a Civ that is allied with you signs a trade embago against you

Yes, that's another good example of what I mean.My favourite AI stupid diplomacy is when a Civ that is allied with you signs a trade embago against you.
The diplomacy concept in civ3 is good but as the game progresses civs constantly declare war, form alliances and form trade embargoes. Often against countries it's never even met or had bad relations with.
I'm not saying this never happens in real life, but definitely not to this degree.
civs should be more reluctant to declare war or accept allliances against countries that have done no harm to them.

Sometimes when I play a game I like to play a more neutral civ, relying more on culture, trade and production to succeed instead of always war.

This problem is one that is, unfortunately, something we can never overcome. Its simply apart of the game engine. The AI views gold, tech, etc as more important as relations with a civ that it is neutral towards, or has never met.

Sometimes it appears that the AI will ally in a war against a neutral third party with a country that it has poor relations with, in order to boost that relationship.

My favourite AI stupid diplomacy is when a Civ that is allied with you signs a trade embago against you.

Tom, I thought flavours affected civ relationships in a small way. That is, they make them like other Civs with the same flavour slightly more on first contact. Like the difference between cautious and polite attitude, but after that initial contact flavours no longer affects anything.

Cheers

Nick

I think that was favorite governments setting that did that. I remember reading in an older thread how someone did a test to show flavors did not effect the attitude towards other civs. Where that thread may be though, is beyond me :)

Tom

Top Bottom