Distance From Capital Doesn't Matter Anymore?

cosmo.civ5

Chieftain
I've read through much of the user manual for Civ5. Corruption doesn't seem to be part of the game anymore. And neither is city loyalty. As for the game itself, I haven't played enough to make any conclusions.

So some questions:

1. Distance from capital doesn't matter anymore? If I build colonies at the far corners of the map, they would be just as efficient as the cities at my mainland?

2. Capturing an enemy city... if I annex it, it will be just as efficient as any city that I own? No penalties for the fact that it's populated by people from a nation I'm at war with? I don't recall reading about rebellions and resistances on the user manual.

there's no penalty except that it's harder to link up, as far as I can tell. If it's on a coast, just build a harbor.

As far as annexing cities, once you build a courthouse in it, it's like it was your own. They're very forgiving citizens.

1. Yes

2. Yes, but the unhappiness penalty can really hurt you for a while til you get the courthouse built. This can take several turns & bring your empire to a halt if you annex a lot of cities really quickly.

2. Yes, but the unhappiness penalty can really hurt you for a while til you get the courthouse built. This can take several turns & bring your empire to a halt if you annex a lot of cities really quickly.

But the unhappiness penalty for annexation and for not having a courthouse isn't any different from any other city you already have, right? Does a city you just annexed from an enemy at war behave any differently from the rest of your cities?

Nope, but it now means you're able to form an empire like the historical British Empire on which the sun never sets.

But the unhappiness penalty for annexation and for not having a courthouse isn't any different from any other city you already have, right? Does a city you just annexed from an enemy at war behave any differently from the rest of your cities?

Annexed city without courthouse= double unhappiness compared to 'regular city'

Annexed city without courthouse= double unhappiness compared to 'regular city'

More than double. Each city you have is 2 unhappiness, and each point of population you have is 1 unhappiness. Instead of those numbers, an annexed city without courthouse is worth 5 unhappiness, and each population point is 1.33333 unhappiness, rounded down.

So now you know. And knowing is half the battle.

More than double. Each city you have is 2 unhappiness, and each point of population you have is 1 unhappiness. Instead of those numbers, an annexed city without courthouse is worth 5 unhappiness, and each population point is 1.33333 unhappiness, rounded down.

Thanks. May I ask where you found such detailed info? I don't remember seeing it on the manual or any of the tutorials.

I can't say how depressed I am that Courthouses are now *pointless* unless you're a warmonger. What a terrible, terrible waste of what was once a *fantastic* building. Couldn't they at *least* have given it an additional effect? Say reducing the total maintenance cost of buildings in that city? Or maybe boosting one of the yields in the city (maybe gold, science or culture?) As it stands now, the Courthouse is one of the most useless buildings *ever*-which is a far cry from its RL importance & its importance in previous iterations of Civ. Along with the lack of Airports in the game, I have to say this is one of the *worst* decisions they made for the game!

Aussie.

Top Bottom