Ditch the winfixer ad

warpstorm

Yumbo? Yumbo!
It is stealing the browser and can only be stopped from the task manager.

How does that ad look? Cna you take a screenshot next time you see it?

Trying to close it any way other than thru Task Manager results in the second screen. However you close it, it takes the browser with it.
edit: for some reason, Firefox doesn't always block popups on the main page. I still get the message bar at the top, but often the popups are still there. :hmm:

Attachments

• winfixer.JPG
    winfixer.JPG
    19.9 KB · Views: 151
  • winfixer2.JPG
    winfixer2.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 148
Not in the usual sense, but it is a browser hijacker thing. A good reason to remove it IMO. Has someone tried installing it? When those things show a deprecable behaviour, it's likely that the application comes bundled with spyware or crap like that.

I just got that. Is it an ad supported by Telefrag, or some random thing?

tR1cKy said:
Not in the usual sense, but it is a browser hijacker thing. A good reason to remove it IMO. Has someone tried installing it? When those things show a deprecable behaviour, it's likely that the application comes bundled with spyware or crap like that.
Oh, so it was a CFC ad? I thought it was a Microsoft "Oh your computer is vulnerable, we're Microsoft so go get this thing".

It's not spyware as far as I can tell.

Tomoyo said:
Oh, so it was a CFC ad? I thought it was a Microsoft "Oh your computer is vulnerable, we're Microsoft so go get this thing".

It's not spyware as far as I can tell.
It's not by M$.

I did a quick google search on this thing and it seems that it is spyware. Many people, both on geekstogo.com and lockergnome.com report the typical scumware problems with it: advertising windows opening up on their own and home page redirected to dubious search engines (it should be search-h.com, but i'm not sure).

IMO, it's at least suspicious.

TF,

I recently started to get ads for winfixer.com when browsing the forums. These ads open up multiple popups, and spawn additional popups when closed. Please tell me you don't allow ads like this on CFC. Please?

Thanks!
-- Ravensfire

Apparently every time I browse to a new thread on CFC, a Javascript pop up opens, asking me to install WinFixer to clean up my computer. Which I most certainly do not want, and I doubt is an internal error. This is seriously undermining my enjoyment of this website...

Edit: Yes, it is for certain not occuring on any other website, and it pops up every time I click on a link in CFC

thsi place has had a horrible spyware problem since it passed 30,000 members.

I've never had something like this occur before on this website, totally new, very off-putting.

As I was just about to report on my own thread on the subject (which got closed ;)), apparently restarting Netscape has kept it away for now.

I'm getting it as well. Really annoying. But, not limited to CFC though. :confused:

EDIT: This is a Duplicate thread. See here.

It's being a pain to me. I get it closed and it comes back up. I restarted my computer (my computer skills at best), which thankfully got rid of it for now. I only have gotten it at CFC.

Edit: typo and update. I switched browsers for the time being. I hope that works.

I am running Win98, IE6 on a PII 500MHz machine.

I have also installed some anti spyware software (freeware) that works very well. I have installed the Google Toolbar (Google), Spybot Search and Destroy (Safer Networking (?)), Adaware Personal Edition (Lavasoft) and SpywareBlaster (Javacoolsoftware). All four are free downloads.

I do not have this problem that you describe.

this ad really sucks. it takes over the broswer and then you can't get back here. i have wait around 5 minutes before it doesn't happe and i can come back here. i've been on the past half hour and only got it a few minutes ago (also last night). please do somehthing about this!!

Top Bottom