DMOC's DEITY Game #4 - Suryavarman II

Accidental Victory should be a condition of it's own; I've won that way several times, usually be accidental domination, or culture. :lol:

Goodjob. :goodjob:

I look forward to your major war updates. I don't think I've read any since Snaaty's Don Deity.

wow you spent 30hours on that game?! Thats impressive, but i suppose deity as a level requires alot more thinking and planning than the other difficulities. Gratz on the win, it may be accidental but remember a win is a win! :)

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, I was getting all psyched about the big end fight and then you pull a diplomacy vic out of the hat. Grmbllllll. Still incredible well played and well described. Great game DMOC, thx.

Gets the popcorn out for that. SHOWTIME!!!! :D

Bonus Round: Late-Game Modern Era Warfare - Part 1

I was planning to continue the save from 1858 AD, the turn before I won a diplomatic victory. Unfortunately, I had started a test run of another game using the BUG/BAT mod for experimental purposes, and I forgot that having a new game would wipe out old auto-saves. So I apologize -- all these screenshots will say "Suryavarman II Has Won a Diplomatic Victory!" I assume, however, that the AI is programmed to continue pursuing a victory condition even after someone has won, as Ragnar was able to launch a spaceship in this round. In that regard, since no one was able to achieve a victory condition, I believe I still would have won this game had I continued from a proper 1858 AD save.

So I continued with the saved game I have here, in 1860 AD. It also, unfortunately, means I have full view of the demographic graphs, but I already had a good idea of the general situation. For instance, with power, it was Ragnar first, then me, then irrelevancy everywhere else.

On turn 301 / 1862 AD, Catherine and Gilgamesh make peace in their war. It was definitely a great idea to bribe them to war, since neither lost cities and both suffered setbacks in their spaceship production. Unfortunately, Ragnar enters WHEOOHRN mode, and he is "Pleased" towards all three of the possible targets. It should be Gilgamesh, because Ragnar borders him the most via land, but to be safe, on the following turn, I beg 1 gold from Ragnar. He accepts! This gives me a much-needed 10 turn period to build up units, especially since I still had only 70% of his power despite my constant military production.

At this point, turns were taking a long time to complete. I discovered this really handy tool in the city screen, where there's a set of arrows ( <- -> ) by the city name that I can press to quickly cycle through city screens. I was cycling through all of my 37 cities starting from turn 300 until turn 330 or so. When Ragnar was 1 turn away from finishing Stealth, I held off finishing my Bombers in production by holding them 1 turn left to completion. The following turn, I obtained Stealth via the Internet and switched production to my bombers. But for some reason, I didn't get stealth bombers -- I just got ordinary bombers. Huh, that's weird. It wasn't too much of an issue, since I had more than enough gold to upgrade bombers to stealth bombers.

Another advantage of checking through each city was that it gave me ample opportunity to pre-queue any unit 1 turn to completion. While Vassalage was saving me huge costs on military production, I was still paying gold for each unit produced, so each turn that a military unit wasn't present was 1-3 gold saved.

As expected, Ragnar went ahead and declared war on Gilgamesh (on turn 313 / 1886 AD). Notice that our peace treaty had just ended, so I was quite happy with his decision. I did have over 300 military units by our border to fight Ragnar in case he had attacked me.

Ragnar's decision would prove to be a grave mistake. First, it meant that a Friendly Catherine was safe to peacefully vassalize.

I immediately directed her to research only Future Techs, so she would never get Fusion for the SS Engine.

Meanwhile, my spies pursued their second sabotaging of Ragnar's spaceship. He still hasn't been able to launch. I've added the victory conditions screen on turn 314 / 1888 AD.

Here's the second, and bigger, reason why Ragnar made a terrible mistake. Yet again, I am using the Internet's power to let me run 0% research. As a consequence, I have lots of cash sitting around to manipulate a leader who has researched every technology in the game.

Where are Ragnar's forces?

Congratulations, Ragnar. :goodjob: Now his land-based army is trapped in a city surrounded by Gilgamesh's culture. And Gilgamesh at furious will not sign an open borders agreement. I believe only Gandhi is the exception to that rule.

On turn 318 / 1896 AD, I finally felt confident enough to declare war on Ragnar and his vassals. Here was the power graph.

I made significant preparations for the first turn of the war. I had amassed an army composed of about 400 military units (not counting those I kept for homeland security) that were composed of approximately 120 modern armor, 50 mechanized infantry, 30 mobile SAMs, 30 stealth bombers, 20 jet fighters, 20 mobile artillery, 50-ish marines/paratroopers/gunships/spies all together, and a whole host of naval units (transports, carriers, missile cruisers, and stealth destroyers). And I still had plenty of units queued up in cities, especially jet fighters and stealth bombers, so that they could be produced in one turn.

I believe I set a record for myself on the amount of cities captured in a single turn.

[To be continued in next post]

[Continued from previous post]

Roskilde was a fairly easy city to capture. It was accessible by 2-move units from Angkor Wat, which meant my mobile artillery could first bombard defenses and then attack to soften up the defenders. Due to a somewhat lucky roll on one mobile artillery, I lose no units capturing this city. (No air attacks were necessary.) My modern armor did the attacking, and my mechanized infantry occupied the city to defend versus counterattacks.

Next, I took advantage of my navy to attack more coastal cities. I picked Bactra to attack, because it was the furthest away from my empire and I wanted to ensure I had sufficient air power to bombard the forces defending it. I lost 4 jet fighters due to a combination of enemy SAMs and jet fighters, and 4 modern armor doing amphibious attacks, but I was still able to capture the city.

I proceeded from north to south. Sigtuna, followed by Jelling, fell. I performed a similar attack. My jet fighters bombarded the city, then my stealth bombers did a similar bombardment. Then, I attacked with my modern armor and any other units I could spare.

It's worth noting that I did not load any troops into cities (or airlift them) for defensive purposes until all the attacks had concluded. That way, I have the maximum allotment of military units to divide among the cities in the optimal way.

Bactra received most of the defenses, given that it was within striking range of Ragnar's northern cities of Tenochtitlan and Odense. I also airlifted the best defensive unit -- the mechanized infantry -- into my captured cities and promoted them along the City Garrison line. Finally, I made an effort to divide up my mobile SAMs equally among the cities, and promoted them to be better at intercepting airplanes, so that the stacks would get additional air protection. Here's what Bactra got:

Meanwhile, my southern attack force was experiencing equal success. Izmir's pitiful defenses were no match for my modern armor, and I experienced no casualties capturing the city. Not even one airplane was shot down! I imagine it's because Ragnar has his air force located near Gilgamesh.

Towards the end of the turn (remember, this is still the first turn of the war!), I rush-bought ships to defend versus possible naval attacks from Cyrus. I had already killed off five of Ragnar's nearby transports, so I was mostly worried about Cyrus. I also picked off a few exposed Viking modern armor via gunships. They're really nice for this purpose.

And here was the bleak situation Ragnar was facing after the first turn.

Eight cities captured on the first turn of the war! :goodjob: And I could have overextended it to perhaps eleven cities, given how weak Mehmed's former cities were.

On Ragnar's turn, he attacked a few of my defending units. I lost some, he lost some, but the most important thing was that all of my captured cities remained intact. But Ragnar had boosted the defenses of Gift From Sury, so I wasn't able to capture the city as planned. I took it on turn 320 / 1900 AD, with the help of mobile artillery and modern armor reinforcements. This was the same turn that the Khmer were tops in power for the first time in this game.

I wasn't done. My proceeded through the heart of the Viking Empire. All this time, I was producing about 10 units per turn in my high-production empire, and I took advantage of airports to airlfit units of all sorts into my cities. Not all of my cities had airports, so if there was a modern armor built in a city (without an airport) far from the battle, I moved the modern armor into a nearby city with an airport that was not planning to finish a unit the next turn, so I could use the airlifting. Oh, and I was putting in my new airplanes into captured cities since I was running out of possible locations to hold my stealth bombers.

I wasn't always guaranteed of having enough mobile artillery to reduce city defenses, so I took advantage of my spies.

I divided my forces to attack the northern and southern portions of Vikingland. In cities that were captured early, I could move units out of those cities with less worry of losing my spoils.

More conquests:

The situation after 7 turns of warfare.

The capture of Nidaros meant that if I hadn't triggered the UN election, Ragnar would not have been able to win via space anyway. He launched on turn 318.

On turn 326 / 1905 AD, I get a Great Engineer and start my final golden age. I also capture two Viking cities and raze a third.

On turn 326 / 1906 AD, I capture two more Viking cities.

On turn 327 / 1907 AD, I sign peace with Cyrus.

Throughout the war, Ragnar and Cyrus had kept pillaging my seafood and land improvements (via ships and spies) so every turn, I performed land-based military moves first, then I moved my navy in position to sink enemy ships, then I checked domestic production (every city!), then I performed worker moves, in that order.

On turn 329 / 1909 AD, Willem breaks free from Ragnar. I capture Utrecht and he capitulates immediately. I also take another Viking city.

All this time, Ragnar's giant stack was sitting stupidly in Kish, unable to move. I decided to destroy it, knowing that if I did this, Ragnar would finally capitulate. I brought this moderately-sized stack:

Unfortunately, my mistakes became apparent since I had too many gunships and mobile SAMs, and not enough modern armor. I was unable to take the city, but I did destroy about half of the stack with just my modern armor alone. Lesson learned: gunships are great, but modern armor are better. I built too few gunships early, which made me try to compensate that by producing them in greater quantities later. Furthermore, the mobile SAMs were really useless here, because of the gunships defending! I also forgot that I could airlift planes into vassal's cities, so I think I could have had more air power than I did.

It didn't matter, of course, since Ragnar capitulated.

[Continued in the next post]

At that point, I brought the game to a close. I was about 10% short of meeting the domination victory requirements, but why bother continuing? ;) I had 61 cities, insane power, and no one else was close to a victory requirement -- no one else launched a ship or had 3 legendary cities. I just had to wait for borders to pop, or I could have vassalized Montezuma. Either way, the result was inevitable. So after 41:19 of gameplay, I ended the game on turn 331/1911 AD. Here are some screenshots from the previous turn.

So that's it. I hope you all enjoyed this game, even if it took me a while to finish.

I still want to play at least one more deity game in the near future. I was thinking about playing on a large map, with epic speed, and playing as Shaka. This map made me want to experience more modern era warfare, so I was hoping that with a larger map, epic speed, and Shaka, I would be able to engage in more of that kind of war. Perhaps I can do a "Shaka survives in WWII" kind of game, where the opponents are hand-selected to be America, Japan, England, France, Germany, Spain, etc. I think it will be fun. :goodjob: And playing as Shaka would be great since he has arguably the best unique building in the game, and I haven't won a deity game with him yet, I think.

Nice write up, DMOC, but none of your screenies are posted.

They're all up. Are they missing or is my photobucket bandwidth exceeded? When I click the spoilers I can see them all.

They're up. I was just getting the "Red X of Doom" before. :)

Shaka, Large, Epic, Great Plains map; that should be a little hairy.

If you start epic large Shaka I may have to shadow.

EDIT - I see them fine.

:cry: Why good old players have to shun and spit on my games (the first hosted game was a large map with shaka) when the settings are practically the same...?

Now, I put standard and people wants bigger maps. The hell...

@DMOC

Lookie at that ultimate SoD, you really behaves like the warmonger deity AI Sury. ;)
I'm not even sure such a stack would fit my screen... :blush:

Ah, the AI never stops to be an idiot, especially knowing peace deals brought by human player is a mere ceasefire, so nothing was really stopping him to DoW again...if the AI was intelligent.

I'm pretty sure I saw another game of yours using the same trick...I vaguely remember Charlie's SoD stuck in Lincoln's culture...was it your game?

Indeed, that was superbly accomplished. I wonder if one day I'll have the guts to DoW stronger than I. Last time I did it with my infantries, usually weakling Pacal II destroyed it waves after waves of cavalries boosted by railroads (boosted by 4 :move:).

Sorry Tachywaxon, I didn't realize you had already put up a Shaka game. I'll check that one out, as well as one of your four or so games within the next few days. (I FINALLY got BUFFY to work.) I'm going to be away from home until around August soon so any game that I play to completion will take months. But during September, October, etc. I may be able to finish one game.

Sorry Tachywaxon, I didn't realize you had already put up a Shaka game. I'll check that one out, as well as one of your four or so games within the next few days. (I FINALLY got BUFFY to work.) I'm going to be away from home until around August soon so any game that I play to completion will take months. But during September, October, etc. I may be able to finish one game.

That going to be awesome!

But first, no need to excuse yourself, you can't know what happened before Maso Toku as I didn't bother to compile what games I hosted.

Remember, the speed is normal, not epic...but the neighbours are sweet. That wuz awesome in a military prospect. I made my best conquest/dom date...something in the early 1700s.

Yay, will see some before you fly away to better lands.

Anyways, that message was adressed more to Grashopa who supposedly looked the game...dun dun dun. Am I enough douche?

I only have 2 days left here, with one exclusively for packing, and my family wants to go to some events together. So apologies again, but I'll definitely make one of your games my first priority when I return. :)

Thanks for the consideration of letting me know. I'll be patient. :)

POPCORN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That trick with getting Ragnars army stuck was brilliant. And the 8 cities thing in the first turn, GRAND! Impressive play and thx for the aftermath DOMC. Cheers :)

Top Bottom