1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

DMOC's Immortal Game #3: Julius Caesar

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by DMOC, Jun 18, 2009.

1. DMOC

DMOC Mathematician

The only AI who's offering any threat for my win is Napoleon. I'll save him for last.

We'll see what happens. I'll probably just vassalize him.

2. IPEX-731BA5DD06

IPEX-731BA5DD06 Deity

Interesting that you chose to go Surry, for and and not Mansu 1st, taking a risk that Tokie liked him more then you.

Personally I'd have just eliminated him all together, 2 cities, won't be any help, more a hindrance.

What you really need now is Flight, Railroad, and industrialization. 3 Gorges dam will be a great boon for your empire as well.

3. DMOC

DMOC Mathematician

He actually has 3 cities. I couldn't be bothered to make the ships. :) Also I targeted him first since Mansa was still good for tech trading and Sury's culture was more troublesome.

You'll be happy to know that as of now, I have Railroad and am 3 turns from Industrialism.

4. Killroyan

Killroyan Deity

I love the fact that even with all the military you have been building you are only number 8 in that department. :)

5. Pohjalainen

Pohjalainen Chieftain

Thanks DMOC for this great game!

I was just wondering why haven't you moved your capital closer to the center of your empire?

6. DMOC

DMOC Mathematician

I thought I built the palace in Madrid, but I ended up building the FORBIDDEN palace instead by mistake!

:mad: :mad:

Big mistake.

7. CHEESE!

CHEESE! On a long nostalgia trip

So when is the next round?

8. civver_764

civver_764 Deity

Remember to post a save too.

9. DMOC

DMOC Mathematician

Don't worry you'll get a save.

I predict that the next round will be done this weekend.

It seems like I'll fail to achieve my goal of trying to win this game before I turn 17 though. :(

10. CHEESE!

Will the quality of your posts slide instantly at 17?

11. DMOC

DMOC Mathematician

We will find out. :)

12. DMOC

DMOC Mathematician

Sorry guys, no update for now. I did play the next round (or more accurately, re-played it, since I didn't do thigns optimally last round, and in this replay I'm actually at war with Toku now) but was forced off the computer.

13. Yamps

Yamps Deity

reload and replay? buuu! :p ;)

14. DMOC

DMOC Mathematician

Yeah, when I attacked Mansa, I did it because I had a "storyline" in mind and it just seemed appropriate to do so. But even though I won the war in the end I realized that it really wasn't the most optimal thing to do. If I had viewed this game without trying to make it into a story, I would have chosen Toku because of how behind he was in tech.

15. CHEESE!

So when is the coolio update?

16. DMOC

DMOC Mathematician

Round 7: Tokugawa's Nasty Surprise - 1510 AD to 1600 AD [19 Turns]

Finally, the long over-due round. Most of this session was played a month ago, when I actually knew what free time meant. :D But anyway, here it is.

I decided to attack Tokugawa rather than Mansa because of several factors.

1. Tokugawa's backwards as hell
    2. Tokugawa has few allies :crazyeye:
    3. Mansa Musa already has infantry!
    4. Mansa Musa hasn't hit WFYABTA yet
    5. Tokugawa's culture

Basically, what I did was split my stack into 3 groups. One (small) group captured Seville, the former Spanish city that Tokugawa captured in one of the earlier rounds. The two other groups were much more prodigious. One of them was about to capture Nagoya.

At the same time, Tokugawa sent in a rather large stack of about 20 units, consisting of an amalgam of cuirassiers and samurai. Fortunately, the stack didn't contain any siege weapons. To weaken the stack Tokugawa captured in my territory, I refrained from attacking the Japanese city south of Nagoya and moved that southern stack to counter the one Tokugawa sent. Long story short, after a few cannons, it was all mop-up for the infantry.

Oh, and we captured Nagoya, of course. :crazyeye:

I was surprised at the fact that the city wasn't culturally swamped. Oh well, that's good news anyway.

I was to receive a nasty surprise next turn.

No no that wasn't the nasty surprise.

Yeah, Tokugawa recaptured Nagoya. I guess leaving 2 infantry units in the city isn't enough. Such a shame, and I already moved the majority of that northern stack towards Kyoto. I debated on what to do, but decided that Nagoya wasn't worth the trouble to recapture until later. Sure, it was feasible, but I didn't want to do it.

All this fighting earned me another great general. I sent him to build a military academy in Madrid. Cordoba (the Heroic Epic city) already had one. Has anyone been counting how many GG's I've gotten?

Meanwhile, that itinerant southern stack which destroyed the units Tokugawa sent into my territory had another city up their attack list.

While this was happening, my larger stack assaulted Kyoto. Yeah, you can see the kind of tough, technologically advanced resistance I'm facing. I hope the Toku AI can recognize my innuendos and improve his teching for the next game that we meet.

On that same turn, my (somewhat) damaged troops that I had mustered up were at the gates of Nagoya once more.

There was no need to capture the city.

This was a no-brainer vassalization. Tokugawa still had 8 core cities left (9 really because I immediately gifted him the city of Tokyo since it was swamped by his culture) and will probably end up being the best vassal I'll get this game. Also, I needed to hurry up and attack my next target (more info on that later).

I forced Tokugawa to sign open borders and switch to Free Market, but this didn't help my economy at all. :confused:

Thus, the Rome vs. Japan war has ended in 1600 AD, with Rome grabbing its third vassal.

---------------

Now, let's move on. I'm certainly not done fighting yet, as I have a long way to go for a domination/conquest victory. To my mind, Mehmed II is the obvious next target, so I've mapped out his land.

He's the most likely target for several reasons. (1) My other potential targets, such as Gilgamesh and Mansa Musa, are more technologically advanced. Mansa Musa is still willing to trade techs ... if I have something to offer him. (2) Mehmed II hates me already so declaring war on him won't be that damaging in terms of technology trading. (3) Pacal II is gearing up for a cultural victory.

As you can see from the map, in order to attack Pacal, I'll have to go through Mehmed II's territory. Since he refuses to sign open borders, I'll just vassal him along the way to Pacal's land.

Technology:

Power:

Demographics (#1 in land area):

Top 5 cities & wonders:

And I FINALLY got a save up. :goodjob:

Attached Files:

17. huerfanista

huerfanista Emperor

Give Toku RP, rifling, and get him to tech something useful (biology?). There's not much chance that HE will trade them to anyone. :lol: I guess you're heading for industrialism by teching electricity, but my prefernce would be to go comustion/ flight/fascism for fighters/paratroops and an oil navy. You'll need combustion for tanks anyway.

18. DMOC

DMOC Mathematician

I don't have much experience with modern era wars so I thought I would just beeline to Industrialism and take Combustion along the way from soneome.

For the modern era, I usually use tanks by themselves. Should I bother with flight?

19. Virtual Alex

Virtual Alex King

This has been a wonderful and informative read. The micro tips you threw down in the beginning where great and very useful. Keep up the good work, I am looking forward to how this plays out.

Would it be to your advantage to gift almost all of your techs to Toku and make him a legitimate power? Since he is so crazy with doing nothing but building units, do the research for him, and let him produce tons of modern units.

20. huerfanista

huerfanista Emperor

I always used to just head for industrialism after I got infantry online, but once I discovered the power of fighters/bombers/paratroops I always beeline flight (then fascism, elec, radio) before heading for industrialism. It speeds up war tremendously (paratroops have amazing flexibility and unparalleled movement), makes naval invasions much easier (collateral damage to defenders, usually you can produce amphibious infantry at that point in the game from settled GGs, and avoids having to land your troops first before attacking) and cuts down on casualties (you don't need to suicide cannon/artillery before attacking, fighters do it for you and rarely die, so you're always attacking wounded defenders).