DMOC's Immortal Game #3: Julius Caesar

This has been a wonderful and informative read. The micro tips you threw down in the beginning where great and very useful. Keep up the good work, I am looking forward to how this plays out.

Would it be to your advantage to gift almost all of your techs to Toku and make him a legitimate power? Since he is so crazy with doing nothing but building units, do the research for him, and let him produce tons of modern units.

I might do that. My experience with vassals is that they don't do well in wars, but Tokugawa's still got nice cities, and he borders Mehmed II.

I always used to just head for industrialism after I got infantry online, but once I discovered the power of fighters/bombers/paratroops I always beeline flight (then fascism, elec, radio) before heading for industrialism. It speeds up war tremendously (paratroops have amazing flexibility and unparalleled movement), makes naval invasions much easier (collateral damage to defenders, usually you can produce amphibious infantry at that point in the game from settled GGs, and avoids having to land your troops first before attacking) and cuts down on casualties (you don't need to suicide cannon/artillery before attacking, fighters do it for you and rarely die, so you're always attacking wounded defenders).

I'll experiment with paratroopers this game, primarily because it's on epic speed and that victory is practically guaranteed at this point (assuming Napoleon doesn't go berserk or something).

I might do that. My experience with vassals is that they don't do well in wars, but Tokugawa's still got nice cities, and he borders Mehmed II.

Well, some are better than others. IMXP, Toku is a pretty enthusiastic ally in war.

I'll experiment with paratroopers this game, primarily because it's on epic speed and that victory is practically guaranteed at this point (assuming Napoleon doesn't go berserk or something).

Really, fighters are the key. Fascism is just such cheap tech (and valuable in its own right for Rushmore) that I always head there as soon as I get flight. P-troops are just so much fun! :lol:

Played the next round. This game has been great for me because it's been incredibly fun and that I get to use a lot of modern era troops that I hardly ever use. For instance, I just learned today about what airports and paratroopers can do in BtS, and I've won on deity before . :crazyeye: :goodjob:

I'll post it today (if possible) or tomorrow.

That should be interesting to read.... so few people play high levels in Modern age :( IMHO it is where you can showoff more : more toys, more options for attack vectors and a completely clueless AI :D

Round 8: Introduction to Fighters, Paratroopers, and Tanks! 1600 AD to 1718 AD [30 Turns]

Continuing from last round. :goodjob:

I said before that I was planning on vassalizing Mehmed II since he was blocking my way towards Pacal II. So that's exactly what I did.

Wow, Pacal II is really trying to get a cultural victory. Does this guy go for cultural every game or what?

The first tech of this round that I researched was Electricity.

"We will make electricity so cheap that only the rich will burn candles."

-Thomas Edison

Elecricity greatly augmented my :science:-per-turn rate (increased by almost 100).

The next technology was set to be Combustion in order to unlock the crucial Police State civic. Unfortunately, the adroitness of the Malinese empire in teching allowed them to take the free Great General. :thumbsdown:

Finally! Some wars occurred, and it looks like good old Montezuma was the perpetrator. (Also you can see that Hannibal renounced the protection of Napoleon - but this was short lived, as he re-vassalized peacefully a few turns later.)

I soon realized that all the technology trades I conducted earlier in the game began to take their toll.

Mansa Musa is now considering that we are too advanced. Well how can that be if he's several techs ahead of me?

Anyway, let's not worry about him. The Roman empire is going to surpass everyone in every demographic factor in the near future so WFYABTA shouldn't be an issue.

My tech path was: Electricity -> Combustion -> Flight -> Fascism -> Industrialism -> Archery (yes .... archery ... ;) ) -> Plastics (not yet complete). Techs that I picked up in trades included Communism, Biology, Rocketry, and Artillery.

Here's the redundant 50-turn news feed.

Like wealth really matters when I can get over 1,000 :gold: in a turn by using 0% :science: slider. :rolleyes:

It looks like the RNG is being quite mercurial (a.k.a. fickle). On the one hand, I got the -25% inflation event...

...and soon a road gets destroyed by some fire but I pay 27 :gold: to preserve the road. :goodjob:

My vassal Tokugawa turned out to be pretty useful this game, as you can see in the following screenshot. I had long since ordered him to research Biology since the other leaders who had Biology kept refusing to trade the technology with me. After decades, the archaic Japanese empire finally figured out that the strongest of species are the ones most responsive to change. I next ordered him to research Medicine.

Now let's focus on the war between Rome and Turkey. I brought my 75-unit stack (an amalgam of cannons, cavalries, infantries, and great generals) over to the nearest Ottoman city and declared war immediately.

[To be continued in next post]

[Continued from previous post]

I got a Great Scientist and decided to burn him on a golden age, which was the only reasonable option in my opinion.

Time for the first Ottoman city to fall.

The war between the Roman and the Ottoman empires commenced in the summer of 1665. Roman historians are clearly aware as to why the Roman empire, which was considerd to be the most powerful civilization worldwide at that time period, wanted war. It was the lust for land, money, and power that the Roman dictator, Julius Caesar, coveted. He was never satisfied - he always needed more of something.

The war between the Romans and the Ottomans turned out to be a slaughter. The callous and uncouth Roman battalions used their sheer military might and technological advantage to tear through the first Ottoman city, Antalya, and several others before the Ottoman monarch, Mehmed II, agreed to capitulate. Historians cannot blame Mehmed II for relinquishing his power to Julius Caesar, because the most advanced military formations that the Ottomans could muster were riflemen, while the Romans could field infantries, with the latter being able to inflict almost 43 percent more damage with their weapons than the former could with theirs. Furthermore, the Roman infantries were were no greenhorns - they had plenty of experience in the war against Japan, while the Ottoman riflemen were neophytes; most of them had never seen a battle in their lives. To make matters worse for Mehmed II, the Romans had mastered the military technique of suiciding cannons into the Ottoman fortifications, which had the double effect of weakening troops and being deleterious to their morale. All in all, disaster for the Ottomans was inevitable. The legendary oracle named DMOC, who presided in the lavish city of Rome, was therefore correct in his prediction that "the Romans cannot be stopped in any way unless they have achieved a victory."

While I was in the golden age, I figurd that it was circumspect to do a civics change.

Overview of the war (turn 7):

For those that are interested, here's the financial advisor.

I generated yet another Great General, who built a military academy immediately. I now have 227 more XP left until the next one. :(

Pacal II produced 2 wonders in 1704 AD - The Cristo Redentor and The United Nations. Pacal II beat me in the elections and won the Secretary General seat. :thumbsdown:

As I mentioned before, this game is becoming a great learning experience for me since I rarely play games through the modern era, let alone be embroiled in a war. I've won on deity several times, but up until today, I had no idea how airports and paratroopers (and even fighters) really worked. It was nice to finally have a chance to use these units.

As you can see in the below screenshot, I split my stack in half in order to capture two Ottoman cities to the west. Now I'm converging them all to attack the northern city (the one that starts with a "G" :crazyeye:).

I prepared to continue attacking, but it looks like Mehmed II wanted to cave in already.

I accepted (the war lasted 13 turns). :goodjob: As you can see, Mehmed II had 2 great technologies that I wanted.

I soon finished industrialism, and it looks like I barely have one source of aluminum.

Of course there were other wars going on. Montezuma captured a city from Ramesses II, and Napoleon captured a city from Sitting Bull. (By the way, my exploring frigate spotted another French stack of doom.)

Anyway, I ended the round on turn 369, 1718 AD. Here's my terrifying 82-unit stack-of-doom, now with artillery. This doesn't include the 4 fighters I have in another city (isn't it annoying how whenever one clicks on "Select All Units" it only selectes the planes?).

I've also been planning on an intercontinental invasion in the near future so I have a moderate stack of transports. Cumae has been producing them this whole round.

State of the World - 1718 AD

Right now, I'm debating on which path is easiest - attacking Pacal II and Sitting Bull and then turning around for Gilgamesh and Mansa Musa, or warring vs. Gilgamesh first, then Mansa, then Pacal II and Sitting Bull. Pacal II isn't as close to cultural as I feared before so I should have time. Overall, I'm leaning towards a war with Pacal II next, since he has great wonders (especially the Cristo Redentor). Gilgamesh also has his fair share of wonders, including a corporation (Creative Constructions). Zara Yaqob, by the way, founded Mining Inc.

Any comments? This game has been really fun to play. Did anyone shadow?

Truly epic game, i've never played a game with so many cities! Might give a huge map a try soon.

In the picture with your SOD, what is the icon with the planes? I've played a a lot of modern warfare but have never utilised paratroopers much and I haven't seen this button? They would be excellent units if you can load them into a plan and have them deploy, as their own range is quit limited.

Great game, can't wait to see some more warring. I'd hit Pacal and Bull, then come back around for the others. You could definitely use those wonders and if he capitulates you don't have to worry about the cultural pressure on the cities you take.

Thanks for following this game. :) The icon with the planes is for paratroopers, and when I click on it, I'm allowed to select a tile where the paratroopers "land." In other words, they can parachute over tiles and land, say, 3 tiles away even if in enemy territory. I'm not sure what their range is, though.

I've continued and I did attack Sitting Bull next (easy vassal, I ended up gifting back the only city I captured form him) followed by Pacal II. Pacal II put up the most resistance of all my enemies (well, maybe except Tokugawa) because of his highly advanced troops.

One question I have - if I'm about to complete the Three Gorges Dam, should I be building hydro plants in other cities? (On the same continent.)

if I'm about to complete the Three Gorges Dam, should I be building hydro plants in other cities?

Definitely not! You shouldn't be building any power-plants on the continent, except for that need power asap. Esp of it causes pollution, such as coal. Otherwise hydro plants would be a waste of hammers.

I could of sworn that hydro plants added a +2 to unhealthiness.

A factory will cause +2 :yuck: from Oil and Coal, but hydro plants are neutral. Which what you'd expect considering their late tech and river ride requirement. Fortunately Civ4 does not consider the ecological impacts caused my dams :D

Nice stuff DMOC. You might finish this game! That would be quite a treat ;)

Anyways I keep hearing people say they force their vassals to tech this and that, but I never get that option. Eventhough I use 3.19... What am I missing?

(isn't it annoying how whenever one clicks on "Select All Units" it only selectes the planes?).

YES. I have actually been planning on doing a "You know what's bull****?" video (cinemassacre style) about the stack management mechanics. This is the worst example. Others include times when alt or shift gets "stuck" (have to tap it to get it "loose"), or when you carefully select 10 units, only to have the last one to be part of some random group of 5 which screws up the whole thing. Or that there's a way to select all wounded units, but no way to select all full-health units "#¤%"#&:mad:

Phew, I feel a bit better after that rant.

Paradrop range is 5, btw, and they can be intercepted by Fighters or SAMs (which severely limits their usefulness).

I too only recently found out that if a city has an Airport you can airlift an unlimited number of units to it. I don't think the Civilopedia has this feature documented, though I might be wrong. At the very least some of the Flight-enabled mechanics are very badly documented, even if the information is there somewhere.

Anyways I keep hearing people say they force their vassals to tech this and that, but I never get that option. Eventhough I use 3.19... What am I missing?

You do this in the diplo menu from the "Lets talk about something else..." tjsp. There should be an option "We would like you to research...".

You do this in the diplo menu from the "Lets talk about something else..." tjsp. There should be an option "We would like you to research...".

Many thanks. A clear case of not looking good on my part ;)

Oh and yes the stack management is horrible indeed. It's really odd the way it works now.

Thanks Silu for the info on paratroopers. I got one paratrooper intercepted by Pacal but other than that they were pretty nice. I liked having defenders in a city who could isntantly drop by the next city and not venture 3 turns in enemy territory.

I ask my vassals that have plenty of land to tech stuff for me, but I try to refrain from giving them Rocketry since they would start on Apollo.

Top Bottom