1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Do people finally like Civ5 now?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by SuperSmash5, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Guardian_PL

Guardian_PL Emperor

I'm not sure, but what I do know is that I won't ever buy a Firaxis Civ game again without a long probationary period. It's like with HoMM series, after the 3rd I thought that there won't be as glorious day as HoMMIV release but boy was I wrong!

Now when I see Ubisoft logo or HoMM6 trailers I only shrug. No chance I'm buying that crap. Of course, parents will buy them for their 10 year old kids, so I'm not preaching doom here, only stating my opinion.

2. bokaj

bokaj Chieftain

I love this game.

3. Soneji

Soneji Prince and Great Steward

It's crap.

Fed up with crap starts.

It's all the game wants to give.

4. aguds

aguds Warlord

After I came over my initial "omg new Civ"-feeling last year, I never really fell in love with this.

The main things I really miss are the vassal and alliance options from the previous Civ. A declaration of Friendship is, as the leaders themselves say; "A makeshift alliance".. I want a proper alliance!
    And puppet cities are more of a hassle than an asset, so why can't I just annex the government instead?!

But then again, Civ4 only really shined after two expansions.. so maybe in another year or five Civ5 is worthy?

5. Jim Bro

Jim Bro Emperor of Quebec

the game is still very bugged and the AI is still very average (the other civs are bad at invading other pieces of land among other things..)

the diplomacy has improved a lot, however.

i like the game a lot (i'm now only playing multi-player games with people I know) but i think it's overrated. it should have been released this year. blizzard, for instance, only releases games when they are ready. i hope firaxis learned from their mistake.

6. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

Post #2 sums up my feelings pretty well.

This half baked loaf of bread got crammed in the microwave for a few minutes to try to make it more palatable. :yuck:

Still didn't work. Better to ditch the loaf of bread and start again from scratch.

7. JBConquests

JBConquests Prince

I've lost interest in the game. The AI needs to get smarter and multiplayer needs work.

8. B_B_

B_B_ Chieftain

I just bought it last week, and I have to say I was very excited to play it.

However, I have to conclude that the game is nearly unplayable due to an extremely akward UI and long load times times between turns, as well as a host of other little things in art direction and game design that pile up into a major thing.

I really regret buying a digital copy on steam or I would be returning it. It is a shame, but until a Rhyes and Fall comes out it will not be on my hard drive.

9. spider1

spider1 Prince

Incorrect. I've played all the Civ games, and I'm currently playing V, not IV. While V does have issues, I'd still rather play it than IV.

You can argue what you like/dislike about IV and V all day long, but what it comes down to is an individual opinion, not someone saying their opinion is a fact, which it most certainly isn't. It's a game for god's sakes. How can you say a game is either good or bad without realizing it's an opinion?

10. woooooooor

woooooooor Chieftain

Why do people who have no point to make always say that "dude what you're saying is an opinion" at a person who fully understands that?

Anyway, Civ5 is going to need A LOT of work before it becomes playable. Maybe they'll stop with the DLC and make a real expansion at some point.

11. blitzkrieg1980

blitzkrieg1980 Octobrist

He DID say "most" players. spider1 may represent one of the "few" that does play Civ5. I am also one of these people.

12. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

Actually It would be a great business model if they explicitly said so... ie To those who want, get Civ V EARLY... pay a premium, but you get it ~1 year before everyone else.

13. LeHam

LeHam Prince

Get it during a Steam Sale, if it happens. It's a fair game, but not worth a 40-50 dollar price tag.

14. Hawaiian

Hawaiian Sage

Or rather, when a deal expires there should be a simple "attempt to renegotiate deal?" option that immediately opens the leader deal menu and puts the deal as it was on the table again. you can change the deal or just press the deal button to attempt to continue it as is again.

15. Glassmage

Glassmage The Desert Flame

i like civ5 more than civ4 and you people can suck it! Moderator Action: @last part: Please don't troll around.

16. spider1

spider1 Prince

It IS an opinion on whether or not Civ V is playable or not. This isn't something that there are any absloutes on. You say that Civ5 is going to need a lot of work before it becomes playable. I say that Civ5 is not only playable right now, it beats the hell out of playing any other version of Civilization.

Who's right, you or me? Guess what, I don't think we'll agree on on who's right, so that makes it an OPINION.

17. blitzkrieg1980

blitzkrieg1980 Octobrist

I tried going back to Civ4 last night. While I enjoyed the game... I find myself drawn back towards Civ5. Perhaps there's some subliminal messages hidden in the ambient sounds :lol: like in WoW.

18. logintime

logintime Warlord

Many other people on here have said what I think, so I'll just say that I long ago lost interest. It never felt worthwhile to me and the patches did little to fix that. I don't think I've played a single round since April or so, and this is actually the first time I've dropped by the forums in months. A lot of the quieting you are seeing on the forums might just be people like myself who gave up and drifted off.

Of course, that's okay. I get there are people here who like Civ5 and that's fine. I'm still playing Civ4 regularly and will imagine myself continuing to do so unless either Civ6 gets released or a Rhys and Fall style mod comes out.

19. diegovelasco45

diegovelasco45 Casual civ4 emperor lvl

I havent played civ 5 at all... what I am worried about is the simplicity of the game. Civ4 games always felt epic and with so much color and flavor... civ5 sounds like slow chess game.

20. Capt Ajax

Capt Ajax Warlord

I never hated the game but it is more playable now. I do not regret buying it.