Do you have a Handheld/PDA?

I've got a lovely Palm 3e that cost me absolutely nothing (winning on gameshows = :goodjob: )

Okay, it's not the best model on the market with just a 2 meg memory and monochrome screen, but you've got to love the semi-see-through case.

Palm m505 also. Unfortunately, my anal retentive company has just introduced a new Win 2000 - based network, to allow them to do all IT support remotely. They have decided not to support Palm 5 (but will support palm 3).

By "support", I mean "allow you to install drivers for".

That means its mainly for play only at the moment....

Still, not as bad as the poor bugger who bought a £20,000 scanner, that they have also ceased to "support". 'Cept at least that was bought on a company budget, unlike my PDA...

By the way, anyone know how to write your own applications for palm????

Originally posted by GenghisK
Wow, I think you need a specific programming language to make progs for palm OS.
Btw, the series 5 are incredibly expensive compared to series 3. What's the difference? Built in OCR software?

I think that the difference is that they have a colour screen, and an expansion slot - you can plug in memory cards to put extra data on, and buy other cards with things like games, roadmaps etc on them.

Wow, I think you need a specific programming language to make progs for palm OS.
Actually, you can write programs for Palm OS in a number of languages, including C, C++, Java, and Visual Basic. Of course, you need the appropriate development libraries, like the Palm OS SDK, and then a compiler to compile the program into a PRC (Palm Resource file). You may also need to write a conduit to allow the program to hotsync its data with a PC. This can also be done in many languages, but requires yet another SDK, etc.

Check out the Palm OS Developers Page for more info.

Originally posted by Padma

Actually, you can write programs for Palm OS in a number of languages, including C, C++, Java, and Visual Basic. Of course, you need the appropriate development libraries, like the Palm OS SDK, and then a compiler to compile the program into a PRC (Palm Resource file). You may also need to write a conduit to allow the program to hotsync its data with a PC. This can also be done in many languages, but requires yet another SDK, etc.

Check out the Palm OS Developers Page for more info.

Thanks! I have VB6, so I might go play....

Good luck then! I've heard that it's a pain in the back programming such things, since the programs must be optimized, and be small sized...
Good point, GenghisK. I've been programming for so long (since before you were born!:D ) that I forget that not everybody realizes these things.

(Boy, that makes me feel old.:cry: And you're far from the youngest on these forums.)

Top Bottom