Do you remember when you first got civ 3?

In 2004, I bought civ3 gold+Conquests together on a whim, as I had gift cards to game stop, and I wanted a new game. Just looking for a new strategy game to play over the break; was not expecting to still be playing it 5+ years later. It's not that far from the truth to say that picking up civ3 that day completely destroyed the obsession I previously had for RTS's.:lol:

I remember getting civ 3 complete off amazon back in '04 or '05 because all my friends had it, and I felt left out because of that. So my dad got it for me. and I played it a bit and then left it alone for a few years. Recently I just discovered it again, and then I discovered this! Now I'm hooked and can't get enough. (Getting Civ 4 for Christmas!)

In 2001 I was a mature-aged student doing an Honours degree, addicted to SMAC/X and attempting to incorporate that and the development of Civ3 in a Cultural Studies dissertation. At that time I was unable to discern between my gaming life and real life ...
Anyhoo, a few degrees and a few iterations of Civ later, I still play Civ3 because none of the others matches the pleasure I get from it. I agree with some of you who allocate some gaming time to RTSs, and I'll probably get hooked on Starcraft2 in February, as I did with SC1, DoW and CoH.
I do remember that first game of Civ3 on my iMac, so much comparing with SMAC, but the exploration and interface were so much better. Then, a few years later, playing on a PC and finding that the game was much smoother, and all the mods and expansions worked. Sweet; still is.

StarCraft II's coming on February? Yayness! Wait... they said that last year... and the year before that...

My dad got it as a free gift from a friend. I was bored, but then eventually I played it again and had a blast. Then when I was on a trip in Canada, I saw Conquests and bought it right then and there.

Hello everyone! I play only Civ4 now and have posted only on the Civ4 forums since joining cfc, so as far as I can tell this is my first ever post on a Civ3 thread :)

I got my first Civ game, Civ3, exactly 4 years ago on christmas 2005. When I really got into playing it after the tutorial I was shocked by its similarities with one adolescent pastime of mine: before I got Civ3 I played single-player pseudo-Civ games using whatever I could find around the house and a bit of creativity, resourcefulness and imagination:

• dozens of red, blue, yellow, green uno stacko = cultural borders, buildings/cities
  • dozens of red, blue, yellow, green LEGO duplo = buildings/cities
  • hundreds of tiny 1cm tall plastic toy soldiers and small paper boats/planes = units
  • used AA batteries = nukes!
  • laser pointers = SDI(of course:D)

That's it! I would just lay all of them on the floor and have fun, so much fun that I could play it all day and a single game would last a few days-weeks and still not get bored! It even had technological eras which would last 1-2 days where "egypt," "germany," "japan," and "rome" started out with just the palace and a few units, then some cities of lego duplo blocks, then finally metropolises of lego and uno stacko "skyscrapers" which would represent how much popuation, commerce and industry it had(although back then I was thinking of them more like cities from simcity 3000, like residential, commercial and industrial zone buildings) and after every "turn" each "civ" had a set number of units, nukes, and what you would call "city improvements," all of which would be dependent on how many total yellow uno stacko skyscrapers = industry/"shields" they had, which in turn would be dependent on how many green skyscrapers = "citizens" they had, which again would depend on how many blue skyscrapers = "commerce" they had(merchants brought in food from outside the city). Uno stacko skyscrapers can only be built beside lego duplo buildings which would represent city government and utilities... I can't remember much more; it's not exactly Civ3 but it had many identical concepts... you can imagine how delighted I was when I got Civ3!

Hello everyone! I play only Civ4 now and have posted only on the Civ4 forums since joining cfc, so as far as I can tell this is my first ever post on a Civ3 thread :)
Welcome to the real civ forums! :p
I got my first Civ game, Civ3, exactly 4 years ago on christmas 2005. When I really got into playing it after the tutorial I was shocked by its similarities with one adolescent pastime of mine: before I got Civ3 I played single-player pseudo-Civ games using whatever I could find around the house and a bit of creativity, resourcefulness and imagination:

• dozens of red, blue, yellow, green uno stacko = cultural borders, buildings/cities
  • dozens of red, blue, yellow, green LEGO duplo = buildings/cities
  • hundreds of tiny 1cm tall plastic toy soldiers and small paper boats/planes = units
  • used AA batteries = nukes!
  • laser pointers = SDI(of course:D)

That's it! I would just lay all of them on the floor and have fun, so much fun that I could play it all day and a single game would last a few days-weeks and still not get bored! It even had technological eras which would last 1-2 days where "egypt," "germany," "japan," and "rome" started out with just the palace and a few units, then some cities of lego duplo blocks, then finally metropolises of lego and uno stacko "skyscrapers" which would represent how much popuation, commerce and industry it had(although back then I was thinking of them more like cities from simcity 3000, like residential, commercial and industrial zone buildings) and after every "turn" each "civ" had a set number of units, nukes, and what you would call "city improvements," all of which would be dependent on how many total yellow uno stacko skyscrapers = industry/"shields" they had, which in turn would be dependent on how many green skyscrapers = "citizens" they had, which again would depend on how many blue skyscrapers = "commerce" they had(merchants brought in food from outside the city). Uno stacko skyscrapers can only be built beside lego duplo buildings which would represent city government and utilities... I can't remember much more; it's not exactly Civ3 but it had many identical concepts... you can imagine how delighted I was when I got Civ3!
Hemmm... your name suggests you're a girl, so...
MARRY ME!
Hey, joke!
Seriously now... how could you have made up a civ 3 real-life game with a stack of lego, AA batteries, toy soldiers an paper planes? I'm pretty sure Firaxis will be hiring you to head their new Civ-kids department.

Welcome to the real civ forums! :p
:lol:

Seriously now... how could you have made up a civ 3 real-life game with a stack of lego, AA batteries, toy soldiers an paper planes? I'm pretty sure Firaxis will be hiring you to head their new Civ-kids department.

I just got bored with playing simcity 3000 and wanted something bigger :king: Unfortunately our computer couldn't handle any more back then so at first I started with only the uno stacko representing everything, then added all the others later on when I felt like it. It's been a loooong time now so I can't remember the tiniest details anymore.
btw I'm assuming the new "Civ-kid's department" of Firaxis is also a joke?:lol:

I don't recall where it had come from, but it had stayed unplayed in one of my drawers, when a friend of mine who had been playing it before spotted it and recommended it. I think this was in 2003 or 2004.

I bought Game of the Year Edition at Wal-Mart for $20 or $30, not really sure. I registered here soon after. GOTY came with some custom maps, but that was about it. I was hooked immediately, my first game being an Aztec domination win on a map that I've never forgotten. I remember most details about that game, actually.

Coincidently, when I finally got around to buying CIV this year, I also bought Game of the Year edition.

My dad bought it for my uncle, but agreed we could play it just a little. He bought us a copy when he realized that I had read the entire manual (I was bored).

Civ3 was actually the first Computer game I bought at full price right when it was published... I had been playing Civ1 from 1992-95 using a "backup copy" I got from a friend. (This is so many years ago now, I hope I can confess this here in public without getting myself into jail. ;) )

Anyway Civ1 was fascinating and I was hooked right away. Two buddies and me spent endless winter evenings gathering in front of the PC and hoping to get the keyboard for a couple of turns... (At that time not everyone could afford a PC...) Already at that time we were dreaming of a version that would allow each one of us to manage one nation. (Kind of like the hotseat feature in Civ3...)

In '93 I finally had enough money to buy my first PC with incredible 4MB RAM and a 66MHz 486 -- the fastest machine in the dormitory! Installed were DOS 6.0 (don't remember, where I got it from... probably another "backup copy" from one of my friends...), a Fortran compiler, the LaTeX typesetting program, Chessbase and of course Civ1. (This probably delayed my diploma by a semester or so...)

In '96 I decided I needed to concentrate on my PhD and erased Civ1 from the harddrive. (That was probably one of the saddest moments in my life :lol: ) Then in 2000 I accidentally found a Civ2 CD for sale in a "bargain-bin" in a super-market for 5 DM (approx. 3$ at that time). I bought it right away and was hooked for good this time.

Finally in Feb. 2002 I visited my little brother-in-law and he showed my his computer games, including a brandnew Civ3 that had just appeared on the European market. The first reaction was: shock...! I tried to attack a Russian town with a catapult, but nothing happened?! And then a warrior came out of that town and captured my catapult!! :eek:
But after the initial learning phase was over, I began to like it. My brother-in-law and me played the entire weekend (much to the dismay of my wife and my parents-in-law :crazyeye: ), and first thing after I was back home was to go to the next computer market and buy it. (For the full price of 49.90 Euro. Besides the Conquest add-on a year later the only computer game I ever bought at full price. But it was worth it.)

As I said, when C3C came out in 2003, I also bought it right-away, and hoped that my dream of playing against real human opponents would finally come true. (I extra bought a second PC and setup a little LAN at home.) What a disappointment, when I noticed that the game crashed, whenever I tried to enter the Multiplayer-Modus! I sent an email to the Fireaxis/Infogrames support hotline, but never got a reply up to this day! Quite a disappointment after having spent almost 100 Euro on Civ3 & C3C, so I promised myself to never buy a game again. (It was years later that I accidentally found the reason for the crash: I had deactivated the sound-card in the Windows Device Manager, as I never used sound anyway. When I activated it again, the MP-Modus was working fine...)

So this is the story of how I got Civ3... For completeness here is also the "end" of the story: in 2005 my brother-in-law lent me his copy of Civ4, and I played it for a couple of weeks. Then I uninstalled it and went back to Civ3... It just didn't feel like Civilization anymore.

And finally in April 2009 I found a special "Civilization Chronicles" box on Ebay, which contains Civ1 - Civ4 (English versions). As I always wanted to make a "sentimental journey" and play a good old Civ1 game again, and as I always have problems playing Mods and Scenarios (including the old GOTM games, which require a special Mod) in my German version of C3C, I decided to buy it.

Lanzelot

I recall trying to attack a city with a catapult when I first played civ III too!

Lanzelot #34 - great story, thanks! I particularly empathised with uninstalling Civ4, how did all those smart folks at Firaxis get so hooked on the eye candy and forget about the game (a little like going to see 'Avatar')?

Yes I didn't like it, because I was used to Civ2. lol :D
Didn't get the border/culture part, then went back to Civ2.

Only years later after trying Civ4, I went back to Civ3. \m/

Top Bottom