IBT:
russians and vikes make peace
riot? grmbl
baile: duct->market
durlas: temple->harbor
trondheim completes bach
russians switch to magellan

1260 AD (2):
bomb and conquer london, get leader. will use him for FP. i usually raze this cities, but bringing settler would take forever.
switch baile to warrior and rush
load knight in army (transport maxed with 2 now)
down science, fire 1 scientist

IBT:
we pay russia 1gpt+lg for furs now
FA->invention@60
baile: warrior->FP
chill: market->uni
doire: harbor->duct
germans start shakes :hmm: switch i think

1265 AD (3):
rush FP in baile
found Maigh Nuad (S of london)->temple

IBT:
baile atha an ri: FP->worker
caiseal: pike->granary
germans start newton
leipzig completes shakes :aargh:

1270 AD (4):
prebuild is good for 9 now, we can't trade up to ToG until then
we can get nav, wait until shields are there
capture nottingham

IBT:
renegotiate ivory deal, vikings pay ivory, 3gpt&3g for sheeps now
england gives us all cities for peace, taking warwick will take us about 11 turns. decide to stay at war, to retake flipping cities.

1285 AD (7):
kill archer
science to 50

IBT:
baile atha an ri: worker->duct

IBT:
ard mhacha: market->lib

IBT:
get vik boot
pirates follow out army loaded caravel

1300 AD (10):
something has changed, don't get inv (next turn with lone scientist)
kill archer

notes:
i hope sending the army S to take warwick arrives there
stack in place to take canterbury naxt turn, will take pressure off hastings
think island has space for two more cities (plus the english ones)
i'd say take magellan if we can, even adams 3 cpt could be useful (eco could have been better invested, nobody has it yet. :wallbash: )
worker in england meant to join, but waiting for starvation

@el filet: Please read the first post and the rule about keeping cities with more foreign than native pop.

1) We may never end a turn with a city where we do not have the population majority. If we capture a city, we must join enough native Workers/Settlers to reach the majority (we're experts in immigration after all ) .
If we fail here, that city must be given to another Civ.

We have to decide about replaying or continuing here. I would say either replay (prefered) or drop the rule.

sorry for that, maybe i should print out the rules for the games i'm in.

will replay tonight. do you want me to choose invention again? i'd choose eco in case i don't get a leader again, which seems likely. this rule will delay getting nottingham, can hopefully bombard it to size 2 and send in a worker. same number of citizen isn't a mojority, so i understand one worker isn't enough for size 1 city? this rule in mind, i'll probably decide for peace for cities instead of eliminating the english.

the reason to make peace is warwick. we need to send some units and some workers/settler over half the map to take it. but if we need to trim down city size anyway, flip risk isn't that bad so we can afford to keep the cities for a while. guess i won't make peace.

Hi, I'm back, more or less. I'm up after el_, right? I think I can play.

Shame about Shakespeare's.

Renata

We can still go for Magellan's or Smith's if we acquire the appropriate tech. I guess economics hasn't been learned yet, and even once it is learned, it'll be hideously expensive as a monopoly, so I'd think Magellan's would be the better bet.

Whichever of Moscow or Yekaterinburg is still building a wonder is the only town that could conceivably beat us. Would be worth it to investigate, I think. We're a turn ahead of Berlin, IIRC.

Renata

1250 AD (0):
switch caseal to settler
let science@60, i prefer self research to buying tech

IBT:
french destroyed
england unloads archer
caiseal: settler->pike

1255 AD (1):
kill archer

IBT:
baile: duct->market
durlas: temple->harbor
trondheim completes bach
russians switch to magellan

1260 AD (2):
upgrade galley
furs from russia now straight for sheeps

IBT:
FA->eco
cill cainnigh: market->uni
doire: harbor->duct
germans switch to shakes

1265 AD (3):
no leader this time :(

IBT:
caiseal: pike->granary
germans start newton and finish shakes

1275 AD (5):
up science, we have >100g
better late then never...leader

IBT:
baile an ri: worker->FP
:confused: iron exhausted and reappears

1280 AD (6):
rush FP

IBT:
england lands archer N
viks ship around in our waters
an ri: FP->worker
hastings: warrior->temple

IBT:
invader killed

IBT:
get boot

1295 AD (9):
capture london
join settler&worker to get majority

IBT:
an ri: worker->worker
pirates around

1300 AD (10):
promote MI
viks railing

notes:
slowing growth needed in caiseal for granary
EDIT: sent workers toward warwick, this may be useless since warwick probably will be autorazed
chose eco for trading value, would buy nav in time for magellan

Who's up? 6thGenTexan, right?

Renata

Whoops, thought it was the other way around. I can play tomorrow.

Renata

To sum up: We got Magellan's. We lost about four ships to those dang privateers. We have an economics monopoly awaiting being put to use. Vikings have started Suffrage; no other wonders are in production. We're dead broke, but pulling in enough cash that I found it worthwhile to purchase two more luxes. We lost Hastings to a flip, then took it back. We're a Republic, but suffering a bit from war weariness. England is down to one "mainland" town. I did not raze Warwick, but brought the units back. No leaders. We have an empty army still in Caiseal.

1300 AD (preturn): Not sure why there's a task force en route to Warwick -- we can't capture it at size 1 with unexpanded borders. Nor is there a settler aboard to resettle. I'm going to bring the caravels back to help with the rest of England.

Navigation is pricy -- quoted price from all three civs is 54gpt and our meagre treasury of 98g. Check sliders; we can't research fast enough to make Smith's an option, so Magellan's it is. In that case, it seems best to turn research off for two turns to cut down on the amount we'll have to pay in gpt. Econ would've been delayed anyway due to having to pull back the slider to make the purchase.

IT: Pirates sink two of our ships. Ard Mhacha market-caravel. Washington (Viking) completes Newton's. Three Viking frigates and a galleon move north past the Caiseal strait.

1305 AD (1): Slow down growth in Caiseal to get granary first. Switch Hastings to worker to compensate for our lack of transportation of the ones already built. Nottingham reduced to one archer on defense.

IT: Russia declares war on Germany. Resistance ends in London. Doire aqueduct-market. Caiseal granary-aqueduct.

1310 AD (2): Nottingham bombed again, no loss of pop. London switched to settler. Pay Catherine 34gpt and 356g for Navigation. Switch pentagon to Magellan's. Research back to Econ; best we can do is 9 turns. Not sure it's worth it frankly, but we'll see.

Arrghh. Just noticed an expired lux deal. Germany has no gpt, but we can get wines, TM and a tiny bit of gold for our sheep. Better than a swift kick in the pants, I guess.

IT: Get kicked out of viking territory. Build Magellan's. Baile Atha worker-worker. Hasting flips. Grr. Only lose a reg warrior as garrison. Gailleamn market-caravel.

1315 AD (3): Still no progress at Nottingham. Initiate revolution.

IT: Nada.

1320 AD (4): Set a bunch of tax collectors to keep us out of debt.

IT: We're a Republic. Vikings start Suffrage. Ouch. Privateer sinks another caravel by Caiseal.

1325 AD (5): Research back on, Econ in 5. Finally get a hit on Nottingham's population; down to 4.

IT: A few riots. War weariness, no doubt. Another galley trying to make it down our west coast gets nailed by a privateer.

1330 AD (6): Nottingham down to 2 pop. Capture and add a worker, start harbor. A caravel returning from Warwick survives hit from 3/4 privateer.

1335 AD (7): Nada.

1340 AD (8) Recapture Hastings (size 1), add worker. All these towns are just starving right back down again due to unhappiness, but it's the thought that counts, right?

1345 AD (9) Nada.

IT: England asks for peace -- we can get everything they have whenever we want it. Not that they have much. Econ learned, research to invention. Beal university-treb. Hastings riots. Caiseal aqueduct-marketplace.

1350 AD (10) We have a monopoly on economics. Exactly what we should do with it I don't know. The techs we're missing from the middle ages are mostly in a row, and I hate to waste the monopoly on getting the cheapest one. Dunno what we should do about that. With research off, 10% lux, we're making about 135 gpt, but we have only 5g in the treasury.

Capture Canterbury (size 1) and add worker; it'll starve, too. That just leaves Coventry on this continent. Coventry is size 5, and based on other towns, probably holds 2-3 spears and an archer. I had no luck leader-fishing. England is too gassed. I took Canterbury with the armies and a vet unit. Next player might get another five or six shots at it if he waits for the last couple of elite units to heal and catch up.

I haven't gone around disbanding out-of-date military police yet; next player might want to do that. We are paying a bit of support.

Forestry: only two tiles were chopped; the one immediately SW of Luimneach (now forested again) and the one by Ard Mhacha that the two native workers are currently reforesting.

We're up to an estimated 16,100 culture at game's end -- I have no idea if we can make it or not.

Renata

We're up to an estimated 16,100 culture at game's end -- I have no idea if we can make it or not.
Estimated from our current cpt, or including those items we can get for sure? At least Wall Street and Apollo give 2cpt.
We may build a Bank in the capital, and start a prebuild again - can always end as MilAc, but ToE is always a possibility; or even Smith's? In that case, no Bank...
Don't think we have a chance for USuf, btw.

Renata said:
Not sure why there's a task force en route to Warwick
wanted to get rid of flips and reduce tech cost by eliminating the english. caravel with workers was following (expected grow until task force arrives). i guess that was the sunken ship, expected that when replaying, but considered that spoiler info (altought i could have expected some privateers).

we still have monopoly on eco, if no wonders are in production except for the vik ones (no cascade), we may have a chance to get smith.

Warwick hadn't even grown or expanded by the end of my turns, so -- meh. Somebody can send a ship down to capture it later if desired. Those two caravels actually were the only ones of ours to survive my turns. :lol: One of them had a run-in with a privateer and survived. I used one of the workers to join to a mainland English town and the other is on its way to Coventry. We wouldn't have had enough workers to join if I hadn't brought them back, as it turns out, because the two you had set up on the south coast of our main island got stranded in the first interturn when the galley on its way there got sunk. So all's well, I guess.

With regards to culture: the estimate I gave is current buildings only; it does include the effects of future doublings. I find it too difficult to estimate build dates for future culture; if anyone else wants to take a stab at it, feel free.

With regards to Smith's -- UniSuff (Vikings only) is indeed the only wonder currently in production. There are quite a few cities out there that can beat us to Smith's with our having such a small lead, though, including quite a few Viking cities now that they've started to rail. We'd have to get quite lucky -- and/or not trade Econ.

Renata

Rule Question.

3) We are civilized. Would be easy to circumvent the population majority policy by simply razing everything, but we will abstain from razing, unless absolutely necessary.

Is booting the English capital off the continent a valid reason to raze the town? The Pirates are really annoying.

Seriously, no. England is hardly the reason for our possible defeat, or even the slightest threat. Exactly for situations like this (razing for convinience, not to get rid of Trondheim @19999cp) the rule applies.
You should be able to rush a few Workers in native cities nearby, me thinks.
Btw, what is the English capital?

Top Bottom