DocT6: Celtic Retreat

The English capital is Coventry; it's the last town on that landmass. It was size 5 at the end of my turns. I'd suggest picking off all but the last unit (you can tell how many archers are in the town in C3C by noting how many defensive shots are taken, so it's a bit easier to judge which is the last unit, unless there are no archers at all), then bombarding every turn while occupying as many grassland tiles as possible. The pop will come down eventually. And remember that capturing the town will also take off a pop point.

If worst comes to worst and you mis-estimate something, you can always give the town to Rome if you want.

@ Doc -- England only has one other town after Coventry: Warwick, which occupies a couple of tundra tiles down in Viking-land. I don't think we want it, to be honest.

@ 6thGenTex -- The Pirates are Viking, not English, and yes, they're pretty awful. At least we have something closer to their move rate now with Magellan's.

Renata

I lost my first notes and I do not think anything important happened before 1370AD.

1370AD attempt to starve Coventrybefreo trbs arrive but too many sea tiles.

IBT lose a caravel to pirates. 2 units approach Durlas. Vikings may be attacking.

1375AD London worker-->library Two MDI appriaching English continent divert north. Kill two spears in Coventry.

IBT Vikingsd attack and we lose the spear and Pike in Durlas. English gally sinks a pirate ship then lands an archer by Caiseal.

1380AD Kill archer. Drop Conventry to 4 pop. Extra troops head north on Engisl Cintinent to go somewhere else. Lose a MDI attacking the crusader at Durlas.

IBT Kill Crusader at Durlas on defense.

1385AD Invention-->Gunpowerder Beal Feirste caravel-->MDI Kill a Berserk outside of Durlas.

IBT Too many Viking ships around to move people safely.

1390AD. Have to give up Economics to Germany for Alliance, Invention, Music Theory, WP and 21g. Sheep, Economics, 5GPT and 3g to Russia for Gunpowerder and WM. They both know Chemestry. Build Russina Embassy for 67g. Moscow is at 8spt, all the buildings and the Pyramids. Guess what we don't have. Take the Furs and Chemistry from Russia for 110GPT and 16g. Start min of Physics. We will probably buy into Metallurgy and MT.

1390AD Move people around.

IBT Cav lands next to Doire.

1395AD-9 Destroy the harbor and library in Conventry. Three knights moved to Baile Atha Luainon the way SE.

IBT Pike in Doire puts ou a fight taking 3hp before dying losing 8g. Dundas falls with 5g. Three units arrive nest to London.

1400AD-10 Coventry down to 3 pop. Take it now and add two workers. Take Englands WM and 3g. Land 3 knights next to Doire. Gailic dies without hurting the rifle next to London.

We have sold our soul to Russia and Germany for the next 17 turns. I was trying to keep up in the game with a culture win in mind.

The Game

IHT: start by positioning to attack Farsund. Upgrade Chariot to knight.
IBT: Kill MDI and cav, lose 2 elite knights. (2-2)
Turn 1: Kill cav, and rifle. (4-2) Kill cav and capture doire. (5-2). 2 knight army retreats from from rfile in Farsund. Upgrade horse to knight.
IBT: Lost Ard Maharca and a 1 hp MDI. (5-3). Romans demand theology and get it.
Turn 2: Massive riots, even scroll through doesn't really work. Build embassy in Rome. Rome gets PP, we get an Ally, 5 gold and WM. After debating for a minute, we need lots of help. Sign russia up for 17 gpt, 108 gold. Kill a cav with an MDI (6-3) Disband our workers trapped on ard Maharca island.
IBT: Lose a caravel and kiled a frigate. Lost a knight to a cav in Caisel. (7-5)
Turn 3: Lost a knight, killed a cav (8-6). Positioning troops, Doire will fall.
IBT: Kill a frigate. Lose doire and 2 gold. (9-6).
Turn 4: Now we have a larger uphill fight, they have infantry.
Turn 5: WW really sucks now. Reup spices.
IBT: get slapped around near slovenger, where I sent a force. Lose 2 units. (9-8)
Turn 6: Kill a cav. (10-8). Kill an infantry at Farsund. Rush some cathedrals and stuff. (11-8).
IBT: Lose an MDI to a cav. (11-9).
Turn 7: Kill a guerilla.
Turn 8: Vikings land 2 cavs on our homeland and we are going to lose a town soon. Kill an infantry but our knight army is redlined. (12-8)
Need team input here. I have no freaking clue what to do. We are outnumbered, outgunned and outmanuevered.

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads9/DocT6_1440AD.SAV

:help:
from the sound of the report, it appears we have to pay for peace, even if it kills our rep. building knights afterwards and prepare a war to get salt.

Yes we can get peace. Should I play the next 2 turns or let the next player take the dive?

Celts, 1440AD

:help:
Long delay, sorry. Wasn’t sure if it’s worth it to struggle on, so I laid our fate into the hands of the RNG God.

Ok, this looks so ugly, I decide to gamble. Load the 2 MDI at Ceasal into the empty Army, slay an Infantry in Farsund, and attack twice with the badly hurt Knight Army – and succeed :lol:.
Also, I allow myself to bend the rules here – we won’t have the pop majority for this one turn, need to build a Settler in Ceasal first.

I know, insane risk. But admittedly, I’d called it a loss if I’d failed.

Re-assess the game. We do not have a single Harbor on the English landmass, wtf???
Ok, we’re dead meat if we do not make peace. Since Vikings will capture our Sheep city, our reputation is toast in any case, so I weasel out. :(
We still have to pay our 179gp and 1gpt to Ragnar.
Sell our Horses (we have another source on the English island) for 14gpt to Catherine.
Hire a couple of Scientists, but leave Sci at 0% for another turn, I simply need cash to rush a Harbor.

Turn 1: 1445AD
Lots of WltKDs. Farsund didn’t starve, so I wait before merging the Settler.
IBT: Trondheim completes the Universal Suffrage. :mad:

Turn 2: 1450AD
Rush Harbor in Canterbury, turn on research. Physics still needs a whopping 17 turns. Our economy is in a horrible shape; only 16gpt unit support, but 168gpt to other Civs…

Turn 3: 1455AD
Finally we have the pop majority in Farsund. Send the Clowns in England to work. Settlers, mostly; there’s room for some more cities.

Turn 6: 1470AD
Sell Education to England and Rome for small change; every bit helps.

Turn 14: 1510AD
Sell Sheep to Ragnar for 18gpt; this shouldn’t help him that much, but it helps us (and I think he would demand them sooner or later anyway). Caesar has cash (he signed a MA against Vikings…good bye); Music Theory and WM get us 415gp.
IBT: Yes, sure; Ragnaf wants his share -41gp and TM. Cave, of course.
We learn Physics, start on ToG.

Turn 15: 1515AD
Found two more cities on the former English island. Catherine is smart – our Furs for 110gpt has expired in the interturn, but of course she doesn’t offer to renegotiate it ;). Get Furs for Sheep and 13gpt instead, and we have something like an economy. Renew the Wines for Sheep deal with Germany as well; with our trashed Reputation, we cannot use them for tech deals anyway.

Turn 16: 1520AD
IBT: And now for the good news:

The not-so-good part is that Vikings start ToE instead…

Turn 17: 1525AD
Stop here; round date.
There’s a Settler in position on the Ceasal island; the one in progress can either go to the Horses or the Jungle outside any city range.

We have quite some research capacity, and since we cannot buy any techs for per-turn items, IMHO we’re better off researching ourselves.

Germany and Russia are at least up Nationalism. Didn’t spot any RRs for them, but that doesn’t have to mean anything.
The MAs we had against Scandinavia were largely pointless, btw; Russia and Germany did fight themselves during that time.
Oh, and Rome is in Feudalism – which happens to be the best Gov for them :lol:. Ever seen this?

We’re at 4777cp (2nd) and 42cpt, with Trondheim at 5752cp.
The one Tech we desperately need is Electricity; once we can irrigate, our lands aren’t too shabby. Seems like Sanitation is unknown still, may be worth a shot later.
London deserves Infra, a Court mainly. Makes insane Tourism gpt from the Oracle. Newly founded cities should build mostly Workers to merge into our slowly growing core cities.
Now, the question is only: Can we catch up and fight the Vikings before Ragnar launches?

The thing that worries me about this game more than anything else is the 20K requirement. We're still not projected to break 20K before 2050 AD. The industrial age pickings are very slim, culture-wise, and we don't have the wherewithal to get to the modern age with sufficient speed for those wonders to make a difference, even if we could somehow simultaneously take out the Vikings to prevent them building them.

I tried to do a projection a couple of weeks ago, but there are so many factors it's almost a hopeless task. Still, my instinct is that 20K will not be possible for us before 2050AD. Given that, I'm not sure how or if we should proceed.

Can anyone shed some more light on this issue?

Renata

The only 2cpt thing from IA is the Wall Street; we won't grab a single Great Wonder (US is already built, ToE close to be completed, Hoover :lol:). That means, we can get a total of 6cpt in the whole era (not counting the SPHQ; this would need a Palace jump, and thus cost us cpt). We have 245 turns to go; Sistine will double in 1730, University in 1880. Oh, and the HE in 2040 ;).
I think we can only continue on our path, and get rid of Trondheim ASAP (but "ASAP" means with Ari/Inf the earliest :blush: ). Then, we can reassess the victory condition. If it is doable, 20k. If not, we'll discuss about it again.

lurker's comment:
Have you guys seen the Excel Spreadsheet for figuring out 20K date?

I was using CivAssist -- same idea. It takes doublings into account, too. It's been a while since I took a peek, though -- I'll have to see what effect Smith's has.

If Doc's willing to play on in the event that 20K becomes mathematically impossible, that's cool with me, especially if he's willing to go easy on the pace. Trying to attack the Vikings should be fun. :) Obligatory silver lining: at least with nothing much of cultural value to build in the Industrial Age, the capital might be able to contribute a few units, right? *cough* :D

Who else is still around?

Renata

I am still here. I will be gone this weekend, but I am otherwise still here. Electricity will be THE key tech as it makes all the desert we have very useful.

here too

relaxed pace is fine with me. yesterday two pc's in our household started resisting our rule, will need a while to convince them of our superior culture.

got it

Top Bottom