Does anyone ever skip religion completely?

Untrue. When I made the jump from Warlord, my strat def didn't work out. Thanks for your EDITED: intelligent coment, tho.

You're right, it's not true that "any strategy" would work. I should have said: I think you would find that many different strategies would work just as well, at Noble. But not all of them.

I don't think there's anything elitist about that. It's just a fact: there are a lot more different things that all work pretty well, at lower difficulty levels. Just as you found that there were strategies that worked at Warlord, but didn't work at Noble, as you increase the difficulty each additional step, there will be many strategies that no longer work.

^^ I retract my prior statement of elitism as I see your point. <will edit previous post>. However, I do not like the idea of reducing workable strategies. Is it that only one or two strats will work on Emperor or Diety? I hope not. I think that originality should be rewarded the higher in difficulty you go... just my op tho.

DaviddesJ said:
You might find, at Noble, that you'll have a lot of success with any strategy.

Except in Europa Europa playing the Poles or the Swedes, LOL.

I think it's true, at Deity anyway, there are only very narrow strategies that are viable, and this is a weakness, and maybe a reason that more people don't play at that level. At Emperor, there is still a pretty good variety, but certainly less than at Noble or even Monarch. E.g., your "unorthodox" hybrid strategy is probably unorthodox because it doesn't really work at higher levels, and, people are writing strategy guides from the point of view of what works at relatively high levels.

The random distribution of resources and terrain features, and the variety of leader traits, do help to make one game different from another, but, at higher levels, I find myself wishing that there were even more variety of that type, to help keep every game from falling into basically the same pattern.

^^^That's what I'm saying. This is why I think I'm gonna stay at Noble-Prince levels even tho I win often (75%). I don't win before the late 1800's ever, tho, and each game is significantly different. It's still a challenge, however one that I overcome more often than not.

I find founded as many religions as possible helps with cultural and domination victories. If you don't choose a state religion, you get culture from all religions, as others have pointed out.

WilliamOfOrange said:
I find founded as many religions as possible helps with cultural and domination victories. If you don't choose a state religion, you get culture from all religions, as others have pointed out.
Oh... really? That's crazy. I thought you still got culture from the other religions even if you had a state one. Hmmm.. more and more strategies forming in my head...

Wlauzon said:
IMO, it is nearly pointless to try and take a civ on another continent until you get flight, then you can start airlifting units in like crazy.

I rarely research any of the flight techs. I like to try making continental invasions within turns after the discovery of astronomy.

Many times I just aim for pacifism, and just rebut the religions as non-sense.

That way, the other civ's can't say that i've "Fallen under the sway of a heathen religion"

EricCarr1990 said:
Many times I just aim for pacifism, and just rebut the religions as non-sense.

That way, the other civ's can't say that i've "Fallen under the sway of a heathen religion"

Pacifism only works if you have a state religion, and only for the city's which have that (state)religion

Top Bottom