Does this seem right to you?

The Last Conformist said:
Why not just go naked?

Hmm, Nicole Kidman permanently naked - that's the first decent excuse to ignore the reality of global warming that anyone has ever given me :D

stormbind said:
Oops, I linked to the last instead of first page. Fixed.

Eternal winter for the UK (and North Europe) is an unlikely, but possible outcome. Check out the 2065 temperature rise in Africa - and I thought it was hot already!

The left wing environmental believe in the end-of-the-world is just as annoying as the conservative Christian believe in the end-of-the-world.

Both are religious believes, that lack proof. Just like some great scientists are able to believe in God, without evidence, left-wing environmental scientists believe in an envioronmental disaster, without evidence. Both types are willing to defend their position, and will drag any type of false evidence into it.

The amount of environmental doom theories that have been debunked is endless.
The BBC is quite notorious, even outside Britain, for having pre-occupied leftwing opinions. The idea of capitalism as the great enemy of environment is one of those left-wing religious believes.
Of course, some times too much enterprising freedom can have bad effects, but we have laws for that.

The constant lying of environmental activists have made me suspicious!

Keirador said:
I have no doubt humans would survive. We're more tenacious than cockroaches. Global warming, nuclear war, famine, disease, humans will exist throughout it all. How pleasant that existence will be is entirely up to us.
No, millions of people have been killed by smog/pollution. Millions of people of died in nuclear war. Millions of people have died of famine. People do not survive these things!

In the past, these problems have always been localised. Devastating, but limited to one region.

The mess we are creating affects the whole world. To judge the possible outcome, repeat the known effects of stupidity on a global scale.

bigfatron said:
Hmm, Nicole Kidman permanently naked - that's the first decent excuse to ignore the reality of global warming that anyone has ever given me :D
Even when she is old, wrinkling and flabby?

The Last Conformist said:
Well, modern Homo sapiens turned up about 100k years ago. The global average temperature has fluctuated by about 8 degrees in the last 18k years according to Erik's graph.
They didn't say Homo Sapiens. They said Humanity.

Since when did Homo Sapiens ever behave Humanely? They might be referring to the dawn of civilisation, or the dawn of modern civilisation, or the dawn of recorded history... who knows.

Stapel said:
People are stupid!

If they find an opinion that permits them to do whatever they want, then they believe only that opinion.

Stapel said:
The BBC is quite notorious, even outside Britain, for having pre-occupied leftwing opinions. The idea of capitalism as the great enemy of environment is one of those left-wing religious believes.
The BBC attacks everyone! People only notice when it's an attack on something they believe in.

People are stupid!

If they find an opinion that doesn't permit them to do whatever they want, then they don't believe that opinion.

stormbind said:
No, millions of people have been killed by smog/pollution.
Millions? That seems a smidge high, you got data to back that up right?

stormbind said:
Millions of people of died in nuclear war.
Now that's just plain wrong.

stormbind said:
They didn't say Homo Sapiens. They said Humanity.

Since when did Homo Sapiens ever behave Humanely? They might be referring to the dawn of civilisation, or the dawn of modern civilisation, or the dawn of recorded history... who knows.
Well, I didn't say Homo sapiens, as such, either - that would put us a further several dozen millennia back.

They might have meant this or they might have meant that. I supplied a piece of information relevant to one of the more sensible things they might have meant, which, to boot, is relevant to the general question what degree of climate variability humans might expected to be able handle.

Stapel said:
The left wing environmental believe in the end-of-the-world is just as annoying as the conservative Christian believe in the end-of-the-world.

Both are religious believes, that lack proof. Just like some great scientists are able to believe in God, without evidence, left-wing environmental scientists believe in an envioronmental disaster, without evidence. Both types are willing to defend their position, and will drag any type of false evidence into it.

Of course, some times too much enterprising freedom can have bad effects, but we have laws for that.

The constant lying of environmental activists have made me suspicious!

I hate to break it to you, but the concensus amongst scientists in this area is absolutely amssive - only a very small minority of scientists, mostly US-based, have any doubt about this.

there are disagreements about the rapidity of change, the detail of interaction, etc; there are aspects of measurement (satellite v stratospheric, etc) to be explained, and debates to rage about all sorts of detailed aspects, but the basic supposition of man-made climate change is accepted by the great majority of those qualified to opine.

Let's be honest here - we're just like some kid diagnosed with a potentially fatal illness - we're not medically qualified so we have to trust to judgement.

Nine doctors say "we're not quite sure exactly how that lump got started and whether it'll kill you, but we're pretty sure that smoking had something to do with it. There is a pretty good chance it will do you serious damage. We advise getting it cut out - it'll hurt but there is a pretty good chance you'll recover in good shape. Oh, and you have to give up the ciggies after. "

One doctor says "Hey, wait a minute, maybe this lump is just natural, maybe it is benign, no proof cigarettes were the cause - that's pain and general anaesthesia without being sure it is really necessary - don't do it, son." As an aside, you know this guy just happens to be the doctor funded by the Tobacco Growers Council.

So, do you get the operation done or not? Not hard to work out, is it?

:thumbsup: way to go bigfatron!

"small US-based minority" is the sort of thing that gets you flamed for US-bashing. Phooey to that.

Perfection said:
Millions? That seems a smidge high, you got data to back that up right?
In London, upto 900 people died per day from exposure to smog. This was an ongoing pollution problem that lasted many years (although death rates fluctuated) - I don't know the total number of deaths attributed to smog in London but it's a huge number, and I'm sure other cities have also been affected.

Perfection said:
Now that's just plain wrong.
About 250,000 died with the initial explosions in Japan, but a multiple of that would have died from other things as a direct result - such as cancers caused by radiation poisoning etc.

stormbind said:
Keirador said:
I have no doubt humans would survive. We're more tenacious than cockroaches. Global warming, nuclear war, famine, disease, humans will exist throughout it all. How pleasant that existence will be is entirely up to us.
No, millions of people have been killed by smog/pollution. Millions of people of died in nuclear war. Millions of people have died of famine. People do not survive these things!

In the past, these problems have always been localised. Devastating, but limited to one region.

The mess we are creating affects the whole world. To judge the possible outcome, repeat the known effects of stupidity on a global scale.
Millions. Out of billions. I didn't say we'd ALL survive, I just meant the species. Even if the earth heats up on the high end, or even past the highest cap, on current projections, there would still be habitable regions in the north. Biodiversity would plummet, the climate would change, but humans can survive in the hottest deserts and the coldest tundras. Even if the surface becomes inhospitable (which won't happen any time soon), I have no doubt the species will live on underground using hydroponic farming, solar energy, and an interconnected series of tunnels like the Vietcong.

However, my point wasn't that we shouldn't worry about the environment. I'm a gung-ho steward of the earth (I dislike the term "environmentalist", because the majority of politcally active environmentalists are either naive, ignorant, or flat-out stupid) and I really regret what we're doing to the world. I don't think our very existance is threatened, though. Our way of life is. A future in which we neglect the environment is not a very fun future at all.

bigfatron said:
I hate to break it to you, but the concensus amongst scientists in this area is absolutely amssive - only a very small minority of scientists, mostly US-based, have any doubt about this.

I used to believe this too, although I could never find proof of it.

I assume you have some linky that will say that the overwhelming majority of all scientists support this theory, yes? Methinks I could come up with a comparable amount of links saying the opposite, but whatev.

Keirador said:
Millions. Out of billions. I didn't say we'd ALL survive, I just meant the species. Even if the earth heats up on the high end, or even past the highest cap, on current projections, there would still be habitable regions in the north.
Yeah, everyone will move to Sibera/Canada/Greenland... but what about the pollutants in our air, the widespread flooding, and so forth.

I don't think it's a great plan you have there.

I don't think that regulatory measures placed on corporations or governments will do anything to solve this problem. The hope is for new technologies, so it is pretty much useless to act as if this entire thing is the fault of corporations in the United States. The only kind of sanction that might help is to provide some sort of incentive to research and apply alternative energy research. However, I have no substantial knowledge on the issue so what I am saying is just conjecture based off of my initial impressions from the few things that I have read.

Top Bottom