Don Deity: Warlords 2.08, huge random continents map, epic speed

Btw, are you sure you want the better AI on Deity. Man, you're tough (or crazy) ;)

The thing with a story/game combo is, that I think LOOSING it in the end (after a long and hard fight) makes it actually more interesting:lol:... ...maybe this explains things a little:D

I just have checked on the update notes and think that the AI in the actual warlords pach should be the same then in the BtS version because of compatibility (since both should run, thanks Izipo & Sweetacshon for your infos).

This are the things I found in the full patch list concerning the AI (with the most important marked):

AI
- AI no longer chooses state religion civics if it has no religion
- City governor no longer overly starves a city when there is not enough food
- Fixed a couple more issues with the city governor
- AI no longer dumps their entire nuclear arsenal on the barbarians
- Fixed bug where AI would sometimes accept trades for your worthless maps
- AI builds bunkers more urgently
- AI city placement improvement
- Improved AI use of 'emphasize' buttons
- Pop-rush and draft AI improvement
- Worker AI improvement
- Improved civics AI
- Tweaked AI building priorities
- Fixed AI accidental war declaration (running into submarine)

Oh, and something else, the next update should be ready tomorrow night

The thing with a story/game combo is, that I think LOOSING it in the end (after a long and hard fight) makes it actually more interesting:lol:... ...maybe this explains things a little:D

- AI city placement improvement
- Improved AI use of 'emphasize' buttons
- Pop-rush and draft AI improvement
- Worker AI improvement
- Improved civics AI
- Tweaked AI building priorities

Sounds like improved AI to me. Hardship can only make a story better. Best of luck :)

A bar… …somewhere strange… …somewhere VERY strange…

“Common Don Deity… …cheer up a little… …things aren’t THAT bad.”

“But I don’t want to cheer up… …I just want to sit here and drown myself in beer and self-pity…”

“I think the ONLY thing you REALLY need is a little bit more of a positive attitude towards your little civilisation.”

“But that is exactly the problem… …my LITTLE civilisation… …even you refer to it as “little”.

“Well… …yes… …but little doesn’t mean dead you know? So things could have gone much worse so far… …by the way, how was your techtrading going along? Did you get all the deals fixed that I proposed you?”

“Yes, everything went fine. We even traded for some more technologies.”

“You must be careful when techtrading Don Deity. Don’t trade for cheap techs when you don’t need them absolutely. Better self research them because the other nations only will do a certain amount of techtrades with you… …then they simply stop. Only thing you can do then to make them trade with you a little longer is to raise their mood towards you up to friendly, then they will do some more techtrades… …how is your tech-situation compared to the others by the way?”

18.JPG

“Well, it can be described quite easy… …NOT good… …We are VERY backwards and we are still lacking some basic technologies like agriculture, priesthood…”

“Don’t worry too much about that… …and DON’T trade for them… …since you will have finished literature pretty soon, just research them by yourself after that is done. I even have an idea how you can raise your funds quite easy:

Save literature until at least two of the other nations have researched currency (which should happen pretty soon on deity…) and sell literature for money.”

“Why not take some technologies for it also?”

“Like I said before, you better save the few remaining techtrades for something more useful. And after Literature, you should head directly for Civil Service. This enables you to run the Bureaucracy civic and will do wonders for your funding and research thanks to your strong capital… …oh and by the way, there is another way of saving money:

Produce settlers now and have them wait on the final locations… …only settle down, when one of your rivals arrives near with a settler of his own. This will help to keep your expansion costs a little bit better under control until you have been able to trade in some money.”

…

Some beers later…

“…when I only think of my army.”

“It’s good then that you have invented some structures… …just because I’m curious, could you explain to me once again the voting system?”

“Ok… …Every soldier has 17 votes. With these votes, he can more or less do whatever he wants to. Those who had thrown a one or a two and therefore hadn’t been along during the last mission get a minus of some votes. John, who invented the system, gets an additional vote. Billy, who joined the troop just recently, only has…”

“Stop laughing… …ok, ok, I get it, you’re fooling me again… …I said stop laughing!!!”

…

Some more beers later:

19.JPG

“…and we are the white line down there at the bottom…”

“This isn’t looking good at all… …basically everybody could invade you without too much problems, don’t you think?”

“Well… …maybe… …(sight) ok, they could… …but they are starting to like us, look:

20.JPG

Only Ash is still cautious, but with him I still preferred do keep borders closed… …Bren and Alex are still annoyed with him and I don’t think somebody like Ash will start an invasion on us, when he has two other neighbours openly disliking him… …and I still don’t want to take the risk of a negative modifier with Alex or Bren by dealing with Ash…”

“Sounds logic… …and one more thing before I leave. You really should scout some more near the horses at your eastern border and immediately fortify a settler there… …securing theses horses might be crucial to your future plans (IF you happen to survive the next decades), don’t you think?

Oh, and by the way, it was a good move to have a library build in London that early and setting two scientists to work immediately. This helps speeding your research, you will need the library for building the Great Library anyways and the scientists will help you attracting some Great Scientists, which again will help you by constructing an academy and lightbulbing philosophy.”

“Why do I need an academy and philosophy?”

“An academy greatly increases the science output of your capital and philosophy enables you to run Pacifism, which will attract even more Great Peoples… …and you can’t have enough of those…”

I’m happy for any feedback, suggestions, tips and hints concerning this game...

IMPORTANT NOTE:

If you want to play along or ahead feel free to pick any save you like. Only thing you REALLY should do is to use spoiler tags for anything AHEAD of the actual story.

mrchadt will provide the saves for this game from now on (my DB-space is gone…), thanks in advance.

See you Soon

Snaaty

Hello!

Decided to come back earlier and perhaps it will force me to finish with Civ4 earlier. There is no joy anymore and since there is no Poland in BtS, it's a bit a waste of money. But ...

... started this game too. Preaty impossible with these settings and no idea how to get through. I haven't followed your game Snaaty since I was on a vacation and unfortunately played further to 220 BC. Most important thing - I modified game a little - some mods are good for AI's, some for me and some are neutral. This is your game so I will wait till you do your turns (on the last screen there is no info what age is now). I hope that deities (AI's) won't do.

And :goodjob: for submitting this game.

Hi Giaur,

welcome back. It´s great news for me that you will give this game a shot, because it won´t be easy (maybe impossible) on this settings anyways and I always have enjoyed your gamplay and council. So two players should do better then one...

I also got myself BtS recently, but haven´t found time to play so far. But I still quite like playing CIV IV, maybe because I never had too much time and usually only play about half an hour here and there. More of a problem for me is, to actually finish a game because usually I stop around midgame and never go on (I seem to like most the first part of the game)... ...that´s one of the reasons why I started this thread, because this will force me to FINALLY finish my first warlords domination attempt (domination takes an awful lot of time, that´s why I usually go for space race):lol:

The infos you requested:

The last save I posted was from 835 BC. I recently played two turnsets more (565 BC & 265 BC) but haven´t finished the writeups. I hope to have the 565 BC ready on Wednesday and the 265 BC on Friday. So I would love to peek into your 220 BC save, because we reached about the same stage of the game. Simply use a spoiler tag for save and infos if you post it before Friday:goodjob:

Since lots of barbarians kept coming from the west, Don Deity ordered the fogbusting activities to be concentrated there. Two out of his three axmen divisions were ordered there and fortified on some hills, overlooking a fairly big region of tundra and ice now, but the English maps of this part of the world were still quite incomplete… …and Don Deity didn’t feel a really pushing need so far to send somebody there…

21.JPG

…

Hill fortifications near Chinook, third axmen division:

“This Brennus is sort of a weird guy, having all those archers attack the hill city of Chinook…”

“Hm, perhaps he doesn’t need them any more? He seems to have quite a lot of them… …for every group of archers killed, he sends in two new ones…”

“Well… …yea… …but the barbarians really seem to have dug in up there at the hill… …they are now sort of experts in defending against Celtic archers I think…”

“Maybe, but since Brennus is still the top dog concerning the power graph, he will eventually reduce their numbers, even if this involves tons of his troops dying running uphill towards Chinook.”

…

In the outskirts of Chinook, some Celtic regiments:

“…but I don’t want to advance on Chinook…”

“If our majesty orders to advance on Chinook, you will do as you are told.”

“But we will all die, like all the others before…”

“I know…”

“But I don’t want to die with those English picnicking on the nearby hill and watching…”

“Yeah, I also wonder what they are doing there… …but they appear to have LOTS of fun… …yesterday, when our regiments 21 to 23 were slain, they even where throwing down empty beer bottles at our commando tent… …but now move, we have to weaken the last defender of Chinook down to something like 0.5 strength before our regiment 24 is finally slain completely, and we can end the attacks for today…”

…

In the English hill fortifications again:

“They stopped advancing…”

“Why the hell did they stop advancing, now that the city of Chinook is more or less undefended???”

“I have no idea, it seems that the axmen they have brought with them only defends their commando ten… …should we throw down some more empty beer bottles?”

“Yea, have the men do that… …ah, and by the way, in case they really keep their position, order our men to advance on Chinook…”

…

In the year 790 BC, the glorious English army, containing of only one division of axmen, conquered the city of Chinook… …without much fighting by the way… …and the victorious axmen moved into the former barbarian fortifications (still throwing down empty beer bottles at the Celt commando tent… …its hard to break a habit…), finding almost 100 gold pieces there…

After the English soldiers eventually got bored throwing down empty beer bottles at the abandoned Celt commando tent about 30 years later, they decided to do some more scouting up north, and towards the city of Hastings. This revealed three things:

The Celtic city of Durnovaria, on a nearby hill to Chinook, a much better impression on Bren’s huge and stretched borderline and, even better, one more place where the English could squeeze in a city of their own (not a very good place, but we need some more cities, remember?).

22.JPG

…

So an English settler was moved in place and fortified, since the founding of this city had to be delayed, due to money issues, as had been mentioned before (it seemed that the settlers got bored doing nothing after some decades, because they started painting a white circle around their location)... …Only if Bren or somebody else should approach with a settler of their own, the English would finally settle down there, to block their path.

Since the full English work force of 8 workers was online now, the lands all over the English empire got worked bit by bit. Near Hastings, the first source of iron was brought online within this process, but since there were two more inside the English territory, Don Deity very likely won’t run out of iron…

…

Don Deity’s only two early cottages near Nottingham had meanwhile grown and now gave 4 gold each, but although lots of English workers are roaming the lands these days, Don Deity didn’t consider it important enough to build more cottages. Maybe this was thanks to the very successful selling of literature to his neighbours… …of which Don Deity really felt proud… …this trade combined with the 100 gold pieces from capturing Chinook may have saved the English economy… …and had allowed the English to run a deficit of 26 gold pieces per turn since some time now, because the overall income had been slightly more then 500 gold pieces. :D…

…

Another milestone in English history occurred to be in 685 BC, when the first Great Scientist, Euclid, appeared in London and helped in founding a science academy (but immediately thereafter he disappeared mysteriously...) AND the Great Library was finished the same year… …although Don Deity received news, that this was also the year the English were beaten in founding Taoism (which was found in a distant land), he considered this only a minor setback…

…

It was also around this time, that all neighbours seemed to have discovered or traded the technologies of calendar and monarchy, and were heavily improving their lands with these brand new technologies. So a period of eager resource trading started on our continent, in which Don Deity participated of course:

Silver was traded for wine with Alex as very first fist trade. Not much later came fish for silk with Ash.

This would allow London to grow to size 8, what greatly would increase the English production power, since most goods were still produced in the English capital around this time. Some more luxurious resources could have been traded in from Ash, but before that, the English would have to build more gold mines, to have something to trade with.

Since Bren and Alex both seemed to have gold on their own, or were having their own private little trade network and the English silver was already sold out, the English would be reduced to only one more trade with Ash now, since all other resources seem to be well spread over the continent and therefore couldn’t be traded… …what basically meant that foreign trade would be reduced to technologies for the English from now on for quite some time (except the last resource trade with Ash of course, as soon as more English gold mines would have been finished).

But this was only another reason why the English would have to continue with their highly specialized research to get some precious trading technologies quite early… …and so they focussed all their research towards Civil Service after Literature (after a little detour for agriculture…), and accidentally discovered Codes of Law in 580 BC on their way towards Civil Service. This was quite good, because Codes of Law could be traded for Monarchy and 90 gold pieces with Bren and could now be sold to Alex to raise some more funds. Unhappily, Ash seemed also to push for Civil Service… …and off course was stronger in research and therefore got Codes of Law before the English. So no trades with Ash were possible.

…

Around the same time, after some more scouting had been done eastwards from Canterbury, direction horses, another settler had been sent out and had been ordered to fortify there (these settlers seemed to prefer blue, because after 30 years of waiting, a blue circle magically appeared around them… …perhaps they were inspired by the natural blue circle (at a totally crappy position btw) nearby). Although quite heavy on tundra, with iron and sheep nearby this even was a more or less decent location for a city. One of the English axmen regiments was fortified in a tundra hill a little up north from the settlers, to provide some protection from barbarians (and after another 30 years of waiting, the settlers spontaneously decided to also paint a blue arrow pointing towards the axes…).

23.JPG

Like supposed by Don Deity’s friend earlier, this city would finally provide full protection for the horses, once it was build (because of the 3 tiles distance rule Ash wouldn’t be able then to build any other city in this region). Additionally, this scouting mission also helped to fully reveal the first two cities from Ash… …and one of them was BIG…

…

So with five cities built, one barbarian city taken, two settlers fortified and one more location for a city completely blocked, it really seemed that Don Deity was hitting exactly the minimum amount of cities, that his friend had deemed necessary for this world, and, even better, without running broke…

IMPORTANT NOTE:

If you want to play along or ahead feel free to pick any save you like. Only thing you REALLY should do is to use spoiler tags for anything AHEAD of the actual story.

mrchadt will provide the saves for this game from now on (my DB-space is gone…), thanks in advance.

@ mrchadt: Please post 565 BC save, thanks

Spoiler :

Most important (deadly) change ...

Kingdom overview ...

Diplo state ...

Never played with barbs on deity before so it was new experience. Early copper was a nice gift. Path Mining->Bronze->Mysticism->Pottery->Writing->Alphabet. Maybe some lost tech on way to Alpha. First workboat, I do not know why, simply (but before that avoided growth to get it faster) ... No early wars. 4 cities were found, too few, but there was not enough space. 5th city was eaten by both Bren&Asoka's culture. Soon after grabbed by Alex, who declared war on me. I had gold enough to run at 100% of research, so payed him some gold and Drama for peace. Literature->Drama->Construction (perhaps)->Horseback(half)->Code(half, forgot that you do not have to have code to lightbulb Philo)->Philo(lighbulbed). Few techtradings due to WFYABTA. Brennus was very annoying in this matter. Feudalism for Philo from Asoka and soon after he was unbeatable. Payed Drama,Philo to Brennus to bribe him against Asoka. I was keeping to my standard deity rules (tech path) and it was quite enough, but ...

... retired in 35AD. Asoka was unbeatable with 16 cities (my four). First declared war on Brennus, but his nearest city (fortress with duns, longbows with guerilla1) decided this war. Never saw on deity before any city to have 5 defeding units (3 longbows, 2 crossbows) and 7-8 more including gallics, axes, cats and horses. After 5 cat suicidal actions started contemplating ;)

220 BChttp://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/70897/Snaaty_BC-0220.CivWarlordsSave
35 ADhttp://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/70897/Snaaty_AD-0035.CivWarlordsSave
edit ...
550 BC

@ Giaur:

Thanks for giving it a shot Giaur... ...bad luck that Bren had so many troops

@ all:

Some general observations concerning this game now that two different versions are there:

1. I also found out that the deity´s are defending their borderland cities quite heavy, maybe it´s the map size that makes the difference
2. Bren also is the major military power in my version so far & Ghandi also evolved into the top dog concerning size and score
3. I managed to spread more (9 cities are possible) but Giaur´s cities are WAY bigger (4 cities)

I meanwhile updated to BtS and warlords got autopatched, so the next turnset & save (which I already had played) will be the last one that runs with warlords 2.08. From then one you will need warlords 2.13 for the saves...

Let´s see how long Don Deity can hold up the human flag with the patched version:crazyeye:

I just love Whyshouldwegothere land. What are the barbarians born there named? Whyshouldwegotherians?

It's a great reading, very funny. But I dare not try to play along... I barely play monarch difficulty...

Since good news usually come in large numbers (or do only bad news usually work that way???), not much after Don Deity had built an academy and the Great Library in London, more good news poured in:

Hinduism, the only religion spread so far on our continent, has spread to Canterbury in the year 550 BC, so the English were happily invited to join Alex and Ash in the Hinduism club. There even was a big banquet, where Don Deity received his golden member card… Don Deity really deemed it a very good omen, not only because he really was proud of his shiny member card, but also because of the fact that still no other religion was starting to spread on our apparently quite small continent.

…

After the people in London now seemed to have some experience gathered in building monumental buildings, it wasn’t long and they had also finished the National Epic in 535 BC. Although a quite ugly monument, it still would help, to attract even more Great People. Don Deity basically didn’t like them, but well, they seemed to be quite useful for the English nation.

In parallel, Hastings had finished equipping the last settler they were ordered to produce. Since the last unoccupied spot within the English empire in-between Hastings and London was quite strong in production and Don Deity had gathered up to now more the 1.000 gold pieces thanks to tech-trading (in fact, he could now really be considered as the main tech dealer on this continent… …Mansa himself would be proud of him…), the city of Coventry was founded right when the settler arrived on the final spot. Another reason for this was that it would be one of very few cities with high production in the English empire and Don Deity wanted to grow it immediately.

24.JPG

As you can also see, the western border hasn’t changed much since some centuries… …Whyshouldwegother-Land was still without any permanent settlements. Not even Bren or the barbarians themselves wanted to live permanently there… …that’s why the citizens of York and Hastings nowadays refer to the small tribes coming from there (or better, running out of Whyshouldwegother-Land) from time to time as Whyshouldwestaythereians…

Then, in 520 BC, the second Great Scientist, named Socrates, arrived in London. He was immediately ordered by Don Deity to find out something about a strange concept named Philosophy but he came back after two days only and babbled something about “Meditation”. It took Don Deity scientists about 15 years to find out what he meant, and finally, in 505 BC, Socrates started to work on Philosophy… …and came again back after two days:

“Umh… …like I said before, Don Deity… …there isn’t much to say about Philosophy… …you basically sit around a chat about this and that and that’s it…”

“So we are doing Philosophy right now?”

“Not exactly… …we need to shift our thoughts to a more essential and more scientific sphere of being and we need a scientific theory we could base our palaver upon…”

“You have a funny way of talking… …so you mean something like “why we are here and what are we supposed to do here?”… this kind of talk?”

“Yes, exactly, so why ARE we here?”

“Well, I know why I’m here and I don’t care why you are here…”

“But it doesn’t work that way, we must start a long discussion now about that and we also should invite some other people to discuss with…”

…

Some minutes later:

“Where do you want me to put Socrates statue, Don Deity?”

“I don’t want him either, just throw him in the harbour basin tonight like you have done with this Euclid idiot before.”

…

After philosophy was finally discovered by Socrates (who seemed to have mysteriously disappeared directly thereafter), the people all over England praised his good work and prepared for a revolution to pacifism. And Don Deity really liked the concept of pacifism… …combined with a tiny little bit of burn, pillage, plunder here and there, the vision of all the nations living peacefully together really was something to long for… …so Don Deity decided to bring pacifism to the known world… Only thing delaying the revolution of the English was the stupid fact, that London, which seemingly has turned into a very attractive city for Great Persons (very likely they would stay away from London, if they would know, where they were supposed to end up) still had no religion. And pacifism apparently seemed to work best when combined with a religion. So Canterbury, the only English city that had adopted the Hinduism so far was ordered to build a monastery immediately, to educate some missionaries who then should teach Hinduism in London.

Not much later some more money had to be spent on a new housing project, which resulted in the city of Warwick. After having forced the settlers to camp on the final spot for more then 250 years, Don Deity supposed that they were quite happy, when Ash arrived in 430 BC with a settler of his own and they were finally allowed to build a permanent settlement…

25.JPG

As you can also see in this picture, the horses near Canterbury had finally been connected to the English empire and Warwick… …well, Warwick was mainly there (Don Deity didn’t deem it important enough to spare any workers for Warwick)

…

The English research was really gathering speed around that time and in 430 BC, the new technology of Compass was added to the English tech-list. This quite obviously seemed a detour towards Civil Service, but Don Deity reminded himself, that after having built a harbour in London and York, the trade benefit those nice harbours would supply surely would make up for the turns lost in a reasonable amount of time. And, furthermore, another very good reason for this little detour was the fact that none of their neighbours had researched compass so far and Don Deity estimated the trade value of this technology therefore quite high. Not much after those two harbours had been finished, most of the bigger English cities were set to build barracks, to be able to spread the concept of pacifism to their neighbours a little MORE efficient…

…

Only some years later, it turned out, that Compass really was good for some decent trades, because Don Deity managed to trade it for Currency and 160 gold pieces with Alex. The only downside of this trade was that the Greek insisted that the English invested at least on turn of research in Currency, before letting go of this technology. But after this minor setback, Compass was successfully traded for Calendar and 90 gold pieces with Bren and last but not least, sold for 560 gold pieces to Ash. Something very positive that evolved out of the many tech-trades and tech-sales the English were doing these days, was the fact that most of their trading partners, which basically meant ALL their neighbours, really started to like the English. Backed by the fact, that the English also were in the Hinduism club since some time now, it wasn’t long, before their Hinduism buddies Ash and Alex adopted a quite friendly mood. Don Deity supposed, that they even would be friendlier, would they knew about his secret little plans to bring pacifism to ALL of them soon :)…

…

Since Ash already had researched Civil Service around the time the English could start with it, Don Deity decided to take another detour and researched Metal Casting, so he would have enough trading technologies to buy it from Ash (Philosophy and Metal Casting), only to find out, that stupid Ash had chosen the same research path AGAIN and had discovered Metal Casting the same year then the English… …so the English had to invest another 3 turns of research of their own into Civil Service, before Ash was willing to trade them Civil Service for Philosophy alone.

With the discovery of Civil Service, the first big revolution swept through the English nation, and they changed their civics from Barbarism and Paganism to Bureaucracy and Pacifism. In parallel, Canterbury had been working and chopping on a monastery, and in 295 BC, the first missionaries arrived in London, converting the whole city within a little less then 6 minute to Hinduism… And, not long after Pacifism was finally coming to full effect, the next Great Scientists, Enrico Fermi, happily joined the others in the harbour basin of London (after having explained the secrets of paper to Don Deity, off course…). Although this lightbulbing gained the English only 8 turns of research, Don Deity still deemed it worth, because pretty soon, every turn would count…

Horseback Riding was discovered not much later, and Don Deity was considering hard, if he should order his English to build stables all over England, so they would be able to send out horseback missionaries to better spread the word of pacifism all over the land… …but then, he decided to ask his friend about this and skipped the decision for the time being.

Some more tech-trades were done, Construction and 360 gold pieces were sold to Alex for Philosophy, and Civil Service together with Metal Casting were sold for Feudalism and 210 gold pieces to Bren. As you can see, Don Deity had started now to always ad up some gold for all his trades, because the peaceful spreading of pacifism could require some money here and there rather sooner then later. All cities that had finished their barracks would soon start working either on stables for horse missionaries, or directly on pedestrian missionaries.

26.JPG

When looking at his growing nation now, Don Deity was finally feeling more confident… …there was no danger of being invaded any more, his neighbours were all his friends (except the Whyshouldwestaythereians, but they seemed to be so desperate to leave Whyshouldwegothere Land, that they would attack most likely anybody and anything that opposed their way) and even better, the first missionaries would be equipped pretty soon. His English really seemed to have made it though the ancient age. Only thing he had to really remind himself was, to tell the settlers still camping in-between Hastings and Nottingham to stop painting those stupid white circles all over the place…

Ash and Alex considered him even as friend (which, when you consider this from a more neutral point of view, could be considered a little bit hasty…) and therefore they were willing to do some more friendship tech-deals. Only Bren was only pleased with him, maybe because he wasn’t allowed into Hinduism club so far…

…

In parallel, the English had cancelled some resource deals and had started to trade resources for money. Altogether about 25 gold pieces per turn were coming in that way and the money situation had stabilized even more. Don Deity had another short look at his little empire and smiled… …soon the hiding would be over, since his preparations on sending out some "peaceful missionaries" were running at full speed now.

IMPORTANT NOTE:

@ mrchadt: Please post 265 BC save, thanks

See you Soon

Snaaty

1) I saw myself Brennus planted city (about 5N to deer-silver city) in 1750BC in my 2nd attempt. This time AI's were limited to not-improved farms. My strategy this time was optimized for making settlers faster, but the third settler was 3 turns too late.

2) This was a nice move Snaaty blocking mentioned city, by planting city far from home (NW city, do not know the name), but I bet that in my game AI would simply took alternative position (5N to deer-silver), I saw this before ;)

Anyway bad luck in fact. You had bad luck with Persians long ago ;p

Good news are:
1) The save you left could be opened in 2.08
2) I saw myself Polish mod with animated unit, animated leaderhead and it's own flag. I do not want to do too much mess like next open game with Polish civ, but I hope Firaxis agree to put Poles in some patch I guess.

And Snaaty ...

Do not do so many transactions with AI's. Your capital count 9 citizen and happiness cup counts 14. It gives AI's advantage.

btw. if Poles are in, I wonder which unit is to be replaced: knight are curraisier (or whatever). The second one was submited to Napoleonian wars. And there was no Poland at that time ...

@ Giaur:

I always try to settle as aggressive as possible towards the AI´s on deity, because the aren´t likely to settle behind your cities now with the improved AI city placement (at least as long as there are other places available)

Sorry, this was the last 2.08 save, because I already had played the turnsets, the new ones will require the latest patch (but you can get it here on the forums without BtS also)

I will check on the resource deals first thing when I start the next turnset

Polish mod/patch sounds cool btw.

A bar… …somewhere strange… …somewhere VERY strange…

“Hey Don Deity, you are really looking good today. Some good news concerning your civilisation project?”

“Yes, lots of good news, we have caught up in technology for example. Look, now we are even equal with Ash and Alex (we have paper on both of them) and have a solid tech-lead on Bren.

27.JPG

“And look, England is a very rich nation now, we have gathered more then 1300 gold pieces by technology and resource trading.”

“This really sounds very good, but there is something you really should consider now. If you go on trading that much with your neighbours, you will only help them to advance faster then you might want. You should really stop trading everything and only trade now for things you really need.

Oh, and something else. I have met Don Giaur yesterday and he told me that he also had a closer look at your civilisation. He mentioned to me that you really should check on your actual resouce trades, because you don´t need them all, your people would be happy enough without most of them. Just like the tech-trades, the many resource trades you are doing only helps the other nations, if you don´t really need them”

“Hm… …I have to think about that… …after the next beer… …you are invited, also want another one?”

“Of course, by the way, you should really do something about the harbour in London… …after observing your world a little I have to say that it doesn’t seem save an more for any bigger ships to enter there. There seem to be lots of obstacles and riffs down there in the harbour basin that can damage their hulls…”

“Umh… …I wouldn’t actually call them obstacles”

“DO YOU KNOW anything about it… …or is this even YOUR work again!!! I thought I have been very clear about NOT killing, NOT encouraging to do suicide and NOT molesting your people.”

“Well, they aren’t exactly my people…”

“What, or better WHO, is down there?”

“Do you remember the so called “Great People” you mentioned to me some while ago? Oh, and did you also come across hordes of them while you were doing your own civilisation project?

“Yes, off course, they are VERY famous and important people… …and it’s always good to have them around… …wait a minute, you don’t want to tell me, that you…”

“Umh… …sort of… …OK, yes, I have… …hm, perhaps I can have some fishermen throw some boulders down on them to break off the sharp edges…”

“This is disgusting… …I don’t want to hear any of this.”

…

Some more beers later:

“…and I still think we are way too week,”

“You are, but you are slowly growing in power, even without building any troops you see, because any military buildings (like barracks and stables) and the overall size of your civilisation also contributes to that value.”

“But the others are about 5 times stronger then we are.”

“That doesn’t matter. To have a realistic comparison, you can more or less half their power rating.”

“That doesn’t make me feel much more comfortable… …then we are still 2.5 times weaker then them…”

“Well, but that’s better than 5 times, isn’t it?”

“OK, if you say so…”

“And once you really start to produce some troops, it will change quite fast.”

“I have some questions concerning this matter. In what troops should I specialise. And how many of them do I need. And what do I need to pre-build so I can upgrade them later. And what do I have to research…”

“Quite a lot of questions indeed, but good ones. Let me answer them one by one:

What troops to use for first warfare, how many and what to pre-build:

There are three different combinations of troops that are very efficient and close together in the tech-tree:

Cavalry (pre-build is harchers) and trebuchets: 20 cavalry and 6 trebuchets
Grenadiers (pre-build are all melees) and cannons (pre-build are trebuchet or catapult): 15 grenadiers, 10 cannons and a pike man here and there
Riflemen and more riflemen (no pre-build, you can draft them: basically lots of them… …really lots… …nothing else… …some more… …draft, draft, draft)

The best research path to build these troops really fast:

For cavalry (doesn’t work in BtS) and trebuchets, simply research Nationalism after you have researched (lightbulbed) paper. Beeline (lightbulb) towards Liberalism and finish Liberalism after you have finished Nationalism. Pick Military Tradition as freebee, but make sure you have all prerequisites (Music) before finishing Liberalism. Remember to delay Machinery, until you have bulbed Liberalism, because this would confuse your Great Scientist. After that, trade up to Engineering and whip the trebuchets, while you research Gunpowder. Remember to save money and to go for a Great Merchant to raise some funds for upgrading.

For grenadiers (doesn’t work in BtS) and cannons, simply beeline towards Liberalism, until you have finished the Liberalism lightbulb. Trade for Machinery and Guilds and then switch towards Gunpowder and pick Chemistry as freebee. Research Steel thereafter. This will take about 10 turns longer then the cavalry path, but cannons are WAY superior. Remember to save money and to go for a Great Merchant to raise some funds for upgrading.

For Riflemen, simply beeline towards Liberalism, but trade for Machinery BEFORE you lightbulb on Liberalism. So your Great Scientist will lightbulb on Printing Press, which you research then, and the next Great Scientist will lightbulb Liberalism. Pick Replaceable Parts (needs Banking) as freebee and research Rifling (needs Gunpowder). Try to trade for Nationalism. This will again take about 5 turns longer then the cannon path (it will take even longer, if you can’t trade for Nationalism), but you have an endless army thanks to drafting (don’t forget to build the Globe Theatre and to switch to Nationhood). You need more Great Scientists on that path, but you don’t need a Great Merchant because you don’t upgrade.

My tip would be to go for cavalry, because I have done this quite successfully in my little civilisation project, (the part with the cavalry warfare can be found here) and because it is your last chance to try this strategy.”

“Why is this my last chance with this strategy?”

“The gods have changed the laws of the universe and it is simply no longer possible, once you have upgraded to BtS.”

“OK then, I will do this.”

“And once again I have some last tips for you before I leave:

You should grow your capital up to your happy cap now, and then you should revolt to Caste System, because this will allow you to run more scientists. More scientists generate Great Scientists faster and you will be able to lightbulb and therefore research faster towards Liberalism. Only finish research on archery, because you will need this to build horse archers, then go directly for Nationalism. You must be really fast there, because you cant dare to delay Liberalism… …remember there are altogether 11 nations living on your world, and you have only 3 neighbours on your continent, so there could be another quite big continent out there… …and more nations closer together quite normally results in more tech-trading and therefore an overall faster tech pace. If you really want to have a decent chance to compete in the race for Liberalism, you must get there BEFORE 300 AD to be sure… …oh, and don’t forget, you need a Great Merchant after you have reached Liberalism to raise the funds to upgrade your troops.”

IMPORTANT NOTE:

See you Soon

Snaaty

Hi Snaaty!
Thank you for your welcome!
I am finally back from my holidays and caught up with your story. That was a nice job, snatching Chinook right from under Brens nose. :lol:
I am looking forward to your "peaceful spreading of Pacifism". Keep up the good work!

And so Don Deity decided to stick to his friend’s advice again and set his little empire to prepare for all the prerequisites he would need to build (or better upgrade) some horse archers to cavalry. After thinking about it for a bit, he even started to like this plan more and more, because he thought that riding units would fit perfectly in his concept of spreading pacifism to the other nations. Maybe it would be even faster, if he would use riding units for that task… …the only thing that was missing right now before the English could start to produce their first horse missionaries was Archery, so Archery was set to be researched first.

Since Archery had been quickly researched, the English then had set research to Nationalism with only a short break to finish Education, after the Great Scientist Nicolas Copernicus has distributed a mayor part to it (his statue got buried in the woods behind London… …Don Deity didn’t want to take the risk in blocking the harbour any more…). In the year 55 BC, only one turn of research was left to finish Education, and Nationalism was also down to 6 turns. Things were really looking good concerning the English research power. Maybe this had something to do with London running 9 scientists (including those of the Great Library)…

28.JPG

Thanks to this massive scientist power, London produced 120 Great Person Points per turn and the next Great Person was only 7 turns away. And with a likelihood of 90something % of being a Great Scientists, Don Deity was quite sure of really getting one more of these in the end. Again the advice of Don Deity’s friend had proven to be quite good, because all this became only possible after the second important revolution in the English empire, which took place in the year 220 BC and ended the time of slavery (but Don Deity didn’t worry too much about this, because he knew that this was only temporary… …his golden whip would soon be taken out of the closet again…) and a Caste System was established in England. The best term to describe the English economy at that point would be "Food Economy" (=FE), because only thanks to the massive amount of food they were producing, they were able to run that many specialists in London and to grow the other cities that quick. And they still only had the two early game cottages near Nottingham they had needed earlier on to finance their first expansion...

But back to the scientists in London...

...which, on the practical side, mainly meant that about 75% of London’s overall population was put into white suits and were assigned to the business of running around and pretending to do something of BIG importance. But apparently it worked… …they managed somehow to attract lots of Great Scientists which happily joined them in the business of running around and being important (unless of course they had their final meeting with Don Deity) and even more surprising, it had also a quite positive effect of the English research in total. Don Deity shortly considered to increase the absurdity of this situation by a new law, which would oblige all scientists to were pink robes, but then he decided against it… …you NEVER know what side effects it can have, when too many people (female AND male, by the way) are running around in pink dresses at the same time…

…

Beside this, not much else has happened all around England and all English cities were still busy with growing and building barracks, stables and horse archers (except of Warwick, which basically still was completely busy with beeing there). Their efforts were backed up by the English workers, which mainly were busy in chopping down the remaining forests all over England to increase productivity and doing some basic terrain improvements to bring in more food here and there.

England 55 BC:

29.JPG

IMPORTANT NOTE:

@ mrchadt: Please post 55 BC save, thanks

YOU WILL NEED THE WARLORDS 2.13 PATCH TO OPEN THIS SAVE

See you Soon

Snaaty

Top Bottom