Dont buy Civ5 : Dont be the sheep

Status
Not open for further replies.
So rather than addressing the real problems that you see, you instead focus all your efforts into... a computer game. And you obviously don't care enough to do any actual actions (The so-called protest) without validation. I submit that Evrett just wants attention.

Evrett, no one is forcing you to buy Civ 5. There's not some law out there that you must buy a copy. Remember that consumers speak the loudest when they act with their wallets. If you don't like what's going on in Civ 5, then don't buy it. Simple as that.

Alternatively if you're really that bent out of shape about how the game industry is now then get your own studio or publisher going. Don't say it's not possible, most development studios got their start as independent startups with little to no actual publisher upfront investment. It's called put together a business plan, get some talent to work on a prototype and some good game design docs, and try to secure loans or third party investment if you can't affort to launch a business with your own money.

That's the great thing about market economies, you see. You're free go off on your own path as an entrepreneur. Now get to it, be a revolutionary and change the world of business.

No war ? Did ya miss the financial crisis ? Cause that was a about marketing and about building big social systems in order to make profit. Have you paid much attention to mental health issues? Children are the fastest growing customer for big pharma ? What is that about ? Also Marketing. How about the Iraq war ? Marketing Marketing Marketing. Its in the game industry too if you read the articles I posted. Industry has stopped being about making a good product and become about roping in large population indefinably. Toyota tried that.."brand loyalty" its called..where did it get them ? Red Bull gives you wings right ? And heart valve replacements..and I can go on. We need to draw a line here.

Yes its juts a game. But its more than that. Its a behavior/attitude we dont want in our game, in our industry, in our schools, in our banks, in our politics ect ect. One big effort is made up of all sorts of really small efforts. This is part of mine.

All it takes for the bad people to win is for people like you and me to beleive in your "hopelessness" and give up without trying. Thats what they want - chew the grass and stare at your feet like a good little sheep. Nothing going on here (buzz buzz buzz)

This is true, these are all major problems in our world. Problems that need to be fixed by the consumer.

What you're saying is that this emphasis on marketing is causing the consumer to purchase poor products instead of quality ones which may or may not be made by large corporations or independent smaller manufacturers/developers? And that this is done throught the techniques of over-advertising, and subtle manipulations?

If this is what you're arguing, then I agree with you on this point.

Please ensure to read further than this point.

Don't be swayed by all this marketing mumbo-jumbo. You still have control over your own actions. Reduce dependence on what the TV and celebrities say. This is where the true problem lies.

Breaking the cycle of following this fad, or this movement, or whatever, simply because its what everyone is talking about is what we need. You can't end this culture of following by simply diverting their focus to something else (such as noone buying from large corporations) because people will simply find a way to exploit that as well.

The way to avoid this kind of culture isn't by 'giving it to the man', it's by ensuring that you yourself make an educated decision about where you spend your hard earned money.

If everyone can make their own decision, regardless of marketing, then the problem is solved.

By buying Civ5 I won't be lending my support to this mindset (although perhaps indirectly I will), I will simply be acquiring rights to legally play a game which I believe will be enjoyable.

So making Steam a requirement to play Civ5 is on par with the financial crisis, healthcare crisis, and war in the middle east?

So making Steam a requirement to play Civ5 is on par with the financial crisis, healthcare crisis, and war in the middle east?

Not that I'm defending Evrett point or really agree with his posts in any way, but hes actually comparing the causes of those crises to the marketing/attitudes of major corporations.

Come to think of it, I guess I'm only starting a fight with you :D

Not that I'm defending Evrett point or really agree with his posts in any way, but hes actually comparing the causes of those crises to the marketing/attitudes of major corporations.

Come to think of it, I guess I'm only starting a fight with you :D
Debating the causes of those particular issues is outside the scope of this forum, but suffice to say that a "marketing mindset" as evrett talks about is not the root of any of those issues, unless you define that mindset as general greed (which would make the term so vague as to be meaningless).

[citation needed]

About 20 people were laid-off from Firaxis, the creators of Civilization V, parent company 2K confirmed to Kotaku today.

Tipsters told us that Firaxis laid off 20 to 30 people yesterday including folks from the quality assurance team, the user interface art team, animators, programmers and designers.
Source

Right, so you're claiming to know whats going on at Firaxis and aren't just projecting your feelings regarding 2K onto them.

40 - love. ;)

You know, there are a *lot* of things Big Business does that I object to-Use of Sweat Shops; Raping of the Environment; Disguising Bad Debts as Investment Vehicles; Ignoring Health, Safety & Environment Concerns Just to Boost Their Profits-what I *certainly* don't object to is a company protecting its Intellectual Property (& the profits generated from it) by enforcing-through entirely legal means-some kind of Registration system. Of course, Steam not only provides a means to ensure more licit distribution of the game, it also provides a Lobby for MP games & a 1-stop shop for patches & mods. By using a pre-existing online resource, this has freed up resources for use on other parts of the game, which is surely a laudable goal. Now *maybe* Steam wasn't the best option for all of these online features-if so, none of its opponents have given any real proof that this is the case (ranting about how *evil* Steam is doesn't count!) Also, if Steam required you to be Online *at all times* to use the game-or if you could *only* buy the game online via Steam-then I'd be lining up with you to scream my protests. Yet none of the above appears true-so to compare Steam to some of the worst excesses of the Corporate Sector simply diminishes your anti-steam argument yet further. It certainly isn't going to convince the more rational members of this forum not to even buy the game!

Aussie.

Right, so you're claiming to know whats going on at Firaxis and aren't just projecting your feelings regarding 2K onto them.

I can say for a fact that no one likes getting laid off from a job... unless it's a disgruntled worker, which is not the norm; so in that regards, yes it would be a valid and correct claim.

But furthermore, my whole post was this:

tom2050 said:
If anyone should be mad at anyone, it should be directed towards 2K, and not Firaxis... Firaxis probably wishes they never got involved with the likes of 2K, but who knows.. they may have been assimilated into the 2K collective by now.

You cut the portion off leaving out (...But who knows), and modified my full post to fit whatever agenda you had in mind.

Take 2 fired the Firaxis employees according to reports, not Firaxis firing themselves. You are twisting my words purposely to try to strengthen your own ideas against My defense of Firaxis.

No war ? Did ya miss the financial crisis ? Cause that was a about marketing and about building big social systems in order to make profit. Have you paid much attention to mental health issues? Children are the fastest growing customer for big pharma ? What is that about ? Also Marketing. How about the Iraq war ? Marketing Marketing Marketing. Its in the game industry too if you read the articles I posted. Industry has stopped being about making a good product and become about roping in large population indefinably. Toyota tried that.."brand loyalty" its called..where did it get them ? Red Bull gives you wings right ? And heart valve replacements..and I can go on. We need to draw a line here.

Yes its juts a game. But its more than that. Its a behavior/attitude we dont want in our game, in our industry, in our schools, in our banks, in our politics ect ect. One big effort is made up of all sorts of really small efforts. This is part of mine.

All it takes for the bad people to win is for people like you and me to beleive in your "hopelessness" and give up without trying. Thats what they want - chew the grass and stare at your feet like a good little sheep. Nothing going on here (buzz buzz buzz)

Why draw a line here? Here is about the worst place to draw a line if you feel this is such an important social issue. Instead of drawing the line at big pharma, something that impacts the vast majority of Americans, you draw the line at a product that like 0.5% of Americans will even know about or consider buying. That makes about as much sense as me starting a nationwide crusade because a local vending machine charges 1.5 bucks for a small bag of chips.

I can say for a fact that no one likes getting laid off from a job... unless it's a disgruntled worker, which is not the norm; so in that regards, yes it would be a valid and correct claim.

So you're saying nobody ever gets fired unless their company gets bought up by a bigger company? Or maybe you're saying that companies never care about making profit unless they are owned by another company?

You have provided absolutely nothing to back up your claim that Firaxis regrets ever getting involved with 2K. People getting fired means nothing there, because we don't know what the alternative would have been. For all we know, if 2K hadn't acquired them, the alternative might have been Firaxis going belly up.

Tom, the source clearly says:

Tipsters told us that Firaxis laid off 20 to 30 people yesterday including folks from the quality assurance team, the user interface art team, animators, programmers and designers.

& this:
"I can confirm that Firaxis has realigned its development resources in order to streamline its development process, reduce costs and maximize the overall performance the studio,"

You see, what you don't seem to understand is that Firaxis is a Software Development Company-with its own autonomous staff & executive, wheras 2K is the Distribution & Marketing Arm-again with its own Staff & Executive. Although they're partly "joined at the hip", they're both entirely able to make autonomous decisions.
The likelihood is that the 20 Firaxis Staff were laid off due to reaching the final stages of Civ5 development &/or the collapse of another project that Firaxis was working on.
Also, as Firaxis is only a relatively small & specialized company, its highly unlikely that they would have the resources to distribute & market the game independently. So even if they broke away from 2K, its almost certain that they'd end up in the arms of another, bigger company.

Aussie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom