"Don't Cry for me Argentina!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry for missing various order deadlines, I had a really really busy week.

Can confirm, I was there. :p

Sorry for missing various order deadlines, I had a really really busy week.

No worries in Blackened Skies (short: BS). We assumed that, if you had sent orders, they would have consisted of nationalizing all granaries and engaging in import-substitution industrialization. The United States is now a 4th-world country. "What's a 4th-world country?" You don't want to know.

"I knew we should have kept her in a Catholic school."
"Shut up, James."

Not my dad's name, but fun fact I actually was supposed to go to Catholic School. Then Asopberger's happened, and I was moved to public school since parents thought I'd get better help there. And I never had any interest going back when I was more "adjusted", despite their wishes

So.... you may have a point :p

EDIT: NinjaCow64: James isclearly the name of your mum after the beam

Kekekekekekekek

Singing this in Choir, have become slightly obsessed with it.
Spoiler :

so, I found a really cool alt hist that is very unorthodox in terms of what it is trying to accomplish. This is a timeline which focuses exclusively on video games, and the development of them. I present Cronus Invictus

Now, this focuses on console games in particular (the PoD has to do with Nintendo and Sony teaming up together with the SNES (specifically the SNES CD add on, not unlike the Sega CD), which almost happened irl but fell apart after Sony demanded too much concessions that weren't brought up until too late. ITL, Nintendo figures out Sony is asking too much in advance and negotiate them down before the point of no return), so some of you may not care since I know not everyone here grew up as a console gamer like me. But seriously, if you like Nintendo or Sega, this is a timeline which basicilly both companies end up a lot stronger, to the dismay of any Sony or Microsoft fans I guess :p

The timeline was written in 2009, and is unfortunately never finished, literally ending /just/ as the N64 (under a different name: the Ultra NES) and Saturn released with their launch titles. Because of this, some things are given more priority in terms of perspective than others (Fire emblem was never big in the west until Awakening, which means it was never mentioned once. Considering the first game came out two years after the PoD, it's entirely possible the series was butterflied? Then again the guy mentioned games that were specifically butterflied away)

Some things that happen, spoilierized in case you want to go spoiler free

Spoiler :
Nintendo gets out marketed in Europe, making Sega /really/ dominant there. Likewise, sega was never able to really break through Nintendo's dominance in Japan proper, and Nintendo dominated in the home market. This is actually otl, but the effects of both are more exaggerated itl than otl. It gets to the point where Sega's western branches actually become the pants wearers down the line, although Sega of Japan is still nominally the head.

Relatedly, although the TL never officially gets that far, the creator heavily implied the decision to use the Japanese canon for Sonic internationally once the series goes 3D gets reversed to using the western canon. This basicilly means modern sonic as we know it is butterflied away in terms of characterization, to be replaced with what otl we would know as the comic sonic canon. The old Japanese canon would likewise prolly continue to exist in non game media like manga, but Sonic will definitely be less... memeish in the west

Between Super Mario World (Mario 4 in Japan like otl) and Super Mario 64 (under a different name due to the N64 having a different one as well), two 2.5D games a la DKC get released as a showcase of the SNES CD. Due to a Rare being bought by Sega itl, DKC is actually butterflied away. A time travel plot in Super Mario CD 2 (aka Mario 6 conceptually) reintroduces DK into the main Mario canon, but he never gets a spin off series line he does irl, meaning he is a far less important character (not to mention K Rool and Diddy Kong don't exist at all. Not stated, but he likely also doesn't have the tie either, since that was a rare addition)

Kid Icarus gets a sequel on the SNES CD, meaning his series never stops development for 20 years like it did itl.

Star Fox is even more ground breaking in terms of graphics than it was otl due to the CD add on, and therefore becomes a larger component in the Nintendo pantheon. It's planned sequel was never canned like otl, and likely whatever equivalent of Star Fox 64 itl would have continued the plot rather than simply being a remake of the first game in that department, if that timeline ever got that far

Obviously with no Playstation to court Square away, Final Fantasy stays on Nintendo, and they work even closer than they do itl. FF7 is released on SNES CD like it was originally intended, two years early. It's still a smash hit, although it goes by the name Final Fantasy CD outside of Japan due to the numbers being all wrong.

This later turns Super Mario RPG into a full fledged Mario and Final Fantasy crossover, rather than Square simply making a Final Fabtasy inspired Mario RPG. Whether or not Geno still exists in this game is never mentioned, but if he does, the copyright issues surrounding him that weren't resolved until Smash 4 otl will likely not exist and he could appear in more Mario games :D

Also,moire speculation on my part, but with Nintendo still keeping its close relationship with Square, I'd guess it'd try to buy Square instead of it merging with Enix if it still ends up in financial woe itl. Buy out or not, a lack of merge with Enix will probably avert the decline of the series itl, or at least cut the excesses from it(seriously look at Final Fantasy today)

Following the trend of Zelda II: Adventure of Link otl, the Legend of Zelda itl is eventually known simply as Zelda, with A Link to the Past being known as Zelda III: The shadow of the past (which, while I miss the pun, and Calling it Zelda III just feels wrong, probably is better name overall). The Legend of Zelda seems to be demphasized in his writing compared to other Nintendo series, implying that it's not as important in the Nintendo pantheon as it is otl.

Probably the most interesting part of his timeline in terms of games themselves, however, is that Nintendo is able to get Warcraft as a SNES CD exclusive port, which becomes at least as popular as the PC if not more. This means RTS is never seen as the domain of just PC, but as a legitimate console genre. This has a few implications:

Firstly Blizzard isn't even called Blizzard itl, instead opting to stick with their orgional name, Systems and Silicons.

Starcraft appears to have been butterflied away, as nothing was mentioned of its development which started in 1995. After all, Starcraft was allegedly the result of Blizzard attempting a 40K rts that GW pulled out of, and seeing their close relation with Nintendo itl, there's no need to look for licenses like that in the first place.

Although not initially so, Sega eventually courts Westwood to make command and conquer a Sega exclusive. Red Alertis also firmly in the main canon, and does not become a side series. Although it never reached this point, I assume a buy out, if it even happens, comes from Sega rather than EA.

Civilization gets a shout out. Still successful lime otl, still largely confined to Windows line otl, although tge first game did get a port to SNES like otl

This timeline doesn't just effect games, it effects the consoles themselves too!

Due to Sga of America advice, the Game Gear is able to actually compete with the Game Boy. Nintendo doesn't get its historical near monopoly on handheld games. In fact, Sega kind of forces the opposite, although the author was hinting the Game Boy Color (infuriatingly called the Colour Game Boy itl) is changing that. The actual implications past that, however, are not explored due to a general lack of focus on handhelds.

NEC (the guys who made the Turbograx 16) and especially Atari, due to better business decisions, manage to stay viable third party console makers. Atari in specific makes a huge comeback by not rushing the Jaguar and creating a more realistically specked Cougar in between, and as a result reassert themselves as a third party in the console wars. This attracts the attention of Microsoft, who appeared to wanted to enter the gaming market via Atari, although that plotline was infuriatingly introduced in literally the last update.

Seriously, read it if you like vidyas. I thourghouly enjoyed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom