[DOTO] Dawn Of The OverLords

ok then, ill set all naval as well to ranged cap 3.
ammo and suply lines are quite cool. as usual the problem is the ai, how do i train him to do such tricks...
i like your logistics approach, its interesting.
promotions i guess are easy enough to do.
Cool, that'll make the big boy toys relevant
IIRC, AI can also use the "Rally point" feature. Supply trains can just be a variation of trade caravans, which the AI uses as well.
Lol, yeah, when Dac and I were discussing the Logistics tech, we were tossing all sorts of ideas around for it to be fun, especially in later Eras.

what parameters do you think there should be ? stack size gives extra "ammo"?
throw your ideas in, im open .
IMO, I don't think size of a stack should give you "extra", as all this does is encourage both the player and the AI to build monster stacks just for the gain. Kind of defeats the purpose of what your trying to accomplish. If anything, I'm leaning more towards a pool of X=premise. Your premise says 3R active/2R inactive. But you could implement how many active/inactive based on # of collateral units that are in the stack. Oh, and while I'm on this tangent, lol, GG's could be really fun here besides just giving promos to a stack. I.E. bonus to active/inactive.. Not to mention an option to tweak a GG into a Great Admiral, ala Civ 5. The code for GG's are pretty clean IIRC, and slight tweaking of their abilities isn't to intensive.. Well, hopefully. It is coding after all.
TTT, wow that was so long ago.... i feel old...
i always had dreamt to do an engaging combat system for civ4 , only in the past 2 years that was made possible due to my mentor f1rpo.
so i began with ranged attack. always the ai is the problem.
but for this stage, i think game play should be more interesting with the rules i applied just now.
Lol, old the lad says.. Yeah, worked on a few mods with others way back in the day.
You might want to pick T Birds or <Nexus> brains for dynamic stuff. It's been way to long since I've done any major modding.
Anyways, just some thoughts. LMK if you want to toss some more ideas back and forth. Or just post a crazy idea or two if you want.

interesting, ill look into that caravans and ai usage.

. Your premise says 3R active/2R inactive. But you could implement
you mean like a stack can have only x ranged in it that can fire?

here is something i woke up with, speaking of crazy.
ever since i started with doto, i wanted dependent civic.
meaning goeverment rule and their specific civics. tree like.
some mods implemented this is some way.
so im now tryng to create a the civic screen in a grid like:

despotismMonarchyDemocracy.....
legalblabla2bla
boobooboo
labormoomoomoo

how does that sound?

ou mean like a stack can have only x ranged in it that can fire?
My bad, should have been more clear. 3R/2R= is your base premise of (R)ounds active/inactive. Logistics/Supplies can augment active rounds, or reduce inactive rounds. Stack ( collateral units) size can "hurt" the player/AI if the quantity of units is in excess of X ( I. E. if your passing your ammo around to a lot of collateral units, you are inactive longer). Now with using Logistics promo's, and supply caravans, you can reduce the amount of inactive rounds your collateral has to wait before firing again. A GG could be used as well to assist in adding or reducing rounds depending on how you wanted to work that flavor into your premise.
You could do something similar with naval units.. Who says transports only have to carry troops :mischief:. Hell, toss in a supply caravan and call it medical supplies/first aid ( once appropriate tech is gained) and heal a stack by a certain percentage.

As for your new screen. Well, lol, there's nothing wrong with experimenting.

Lol, old the lad says.. Yeah, worked on a few mods with others way back in the day.
You might want to pick T Birds or <Nexus> brains for dynamic stuff. It's been way to long since I've done any major modding.
Anyways, just some thoughts. LMK if you want to toss some more ideas back and forth. Or just post a crazy idea or two if you want.
Lol. I saw my name only by accident :lol:
But what's the question? :think:
interesting, ill look into that caravans and ai usage.
... and another useful accident.
In my mod there are also caravans but the AI don't seem to use them at all, so I'd be happy to see some solution.
here is something i woke up with, speaking of crazy.
ever since i started with doto, i wanted dependent civic.
meaning goeverment rule and their specific civics. tree like.
some mods implemented this is some way.
so im now tryng to create a the civic screen in a grid like:

despotismMonarchyDemocracy.....
legalblabla2bla
boobooboo
labormoomoomoo

how does that sound?
Sounds like it's from my mod :lol:
Maybe you could take a look at it.
Hmm... Some I had a spread sheet collecting which civics allow which ones.
I'll dig it up if you want.

hey guys,

i see where your headed.
ok cool, ill try to devise something with the ideas at hand.
thanks.

for now,
i gave some of the naval unit classes ranged ability.
i will stop there cause i want to upload the new version in less than a weeks time.

---
civic,
i have thought of a nice system i hope.
nexus, i think i had a look at your mod at some point. i know the sources you used had this as well.
for the new civic system, first i gotta build a new civics screen.
i shall work on it for the next version.

---
the new doto 112 version is ready on my git repo.
gonna do some more tests and release.

thanks,

Last edited:
well, i started to have fun.

i pivoted the government civics,
Added a break line for each civic option category.
under it, ill place 1-3 dependent civics on that type of government.
some civics can be in more than one government dependent for a nice variety.

this is just initial prototype.
after im done ill have to either write or create a civic dependency code.
Also, the plan is to have it as a game option :)

civics2.PNG

Attachments

• Civics.PNG
    Civics.PNG
    405.9 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
after im done ill have to either write or create a civic dependency code.
You know that in the AND2 dll there is a restricted civics xml tag. I don't know if you would like to use parts of that code or start from scratch.
Anyway, I'm curious what you end up with :)

what do you think about the heading of the civic table above?
Honestly, I'm not sure I understand it. It's strange and new but it's probably just a little time to get used to it.
So if I understand properly what I see:
  1. Not all civic categories are present at the moment, right?
  2. The empty boxes (above Slavery and under Manorialism) represent civics not available in present situation, right?
  3. And I guess you will add info about the individual civics, right?
I cannot say yet that I like it but it is certainly promising :)

strange indeed.

it is a early concept of a government table.
first row, the governments.
the next sections are basically the res of the civics. some of those will have more than 1 civic.
6 civic options.
all civics in a column shall be dependent of the government civic that was chosen.
each row of civics will offer 1-3 choices for that civic type under that government (repeated civics can appear on the row under other governments with other choice combos).
empty boxes i just didnt fill yet.
the info i hid for now until i finish, since ill have to adjust it as well to the new layout.

think about it like an excel table with rows and columns.

working on it, its not difficult fortunately.
ill upload pics as i go.

thanks for the interest,
id love for more input :)

making progress:
Capture5.PNG

more stable concept:

Gov civic will have 2 civics under it as dependent .
in the above example,
Rule 1 and Rule 2 are dependent on despotism .
can choose either 1 or 2.
that is actually a civic with 16 civics in it.

gonna add another one like it (it will be the terra and ideas combined).
so the end result will be :
1 give civic and 2 civics under it to be chosen each from 1/2 options.

the rest if the civics:
legal, labor, eco, religion, military will be the same as in the pic.
(might do some more combos though)

I fill this method of civics can be more structured rather then a random combo choices of civics.
the goal is to make it more theme like, meaning , if you gonna choose police state, having free speech for free market is silly.
giving the civic names, actual theming,

your thoughts are welcomed :)

edit: making progress
Capture6.PNG

Last edited:
ok so i think ill try to cross breed 2 types of existing civics that has code for -> civic dependency by Asaf and forbidden civic by ROM-AND.

CIVIC PARENT/TREE:

1. a civic will have children civics defined to it.
2. once the parent is picked, the better children civic will be automatically chosen -> both ai and Human
- in case of children's are selected and the parent is switched, an auto switch of children is required - both for human and both for AI ( human can switch it after without the anarchy)
3. switching between children is without anarchy (as said above).
4. no civic parent can have children in the same civic option (obvious)
5. ai logic:
parent civic value will be calculated with the total value of its children's best civic dependency.
civic value will not be calculated directly to a child civic unless the parent is selected.
i think that will make the ai code easier.
that will solve the ai decision of which defendant civic to choose from and parent choosing value (similar idea in Asaf's).

thats it for now.

Done with the Civic system code:

AI code -> done
Human interface rules and code -> done

todo:
-update the new civic type (Society - Rule in the pic).
-balance some of the governments.
-code improvements
-add forbidden civic code - optional if ill have strength for it.

then some tests and release.

Top Bottom