Double your pleasure PBEM

When I was a younger and more sinful man I had the mistaken idea that the thing to do was to date twins....both, at once...with the obvious young man's goal.

:mischief:

I could tell you stories but we'll skip that.

I've just gotten into CIV PBEM, with however an extensive past in SMAC PBEM, and have only a couple of games. The frustration I am feeling is the pace. So my idea is twin games. Both set up with PBEM tracker, with only say...six players, who would participate in both games.

In my thinking we would launch and run the games simultaneously so that when you get your turn you'd do two (yum, yum).

I'm thinking standard BTS unmodded. I have no particular fetish for maps or such as that.

So, lets float the trial ballon and see if anyone else might be interested. And by the way, we don't have to go with the names Jill and Judy.

:mischief:

I found one secret about the pace -- it has to be 3 VERY motivated players and better if it is a private game. Every additional player slows down the pace exponentially. If some real life issues are keeping player from doing 1 turn, same will apply to two...

I'll join one game, but I don't care much for the simultaneous games idea unless we staggered the start date on them so like by the time we reach classical/medieval era in one game for example is when we would start up the second one. Something like that.

I'd be interested. Are both games are the same or just same settings with the same players?

I'd be interested. Are both games are the same or just same settings with the same players?

I'm open to some differences. What sort of setups have you in mind? I was thinking a small core of six players to keep the game moving.

Game names "Journey to Nowhere" and "Return to Erwhone" (Erwhone being anagram to nowhere)?

Defintely want some AI as I understand that its necessary to release a resigning human player.

I will have to develop a gamemaster skillset as I have none at hand. Tips will be welcomed.

Is Michkov Russian for Michael? Michael, or Michal was the name of the ancestor of our family, who, 10 generations ago left Switzerland with his only son to settle on ground not far from where I type today. Swiss-German stock with a penchant for marrying Irish girls and raising giant cattle.

We've taken heavy losses in every American war since the Revolution and managed to contribute heavily to insane asylums and prisons as well.

You are welcome indeed.

I'll join one game, but I don't care much for the simultaneous games idea unless we staggered the start date on them so like by the time we reach classical/medieval era in one game for example is when we would start up the second one. Something like that.

I'd really like to stick to simultaneous play?. Reconsider?

Hmm, well if you insist on simultaneous play, I'll join regardless. I do need my civ iv itch scratched somehow ;-)

I'm interested (and I agree, I like simultaneous. Even if we didn't start simultaneous, a player not being online for a day would turn the game simultaneous). Do we play the same leader in both?

Is Michkov Russian for Michael? Michael, or Michal was the name of the ancestor of our family, who, 10 generations ago left Switzerland with his only son to settle on ground not far from where I type today. Swiss-German stock with a penchant for marrying Irish girls and raising giant cattle.

No, its a combination of my first and last name. Russian equivalent for Michael is Mikhail IIRC. Although my surname is of Slavic descend.

I'm interested (and I agree, I like simultaneous. Even if we didn't start simultaneous, a player not being online for a day would turn the game simultaneous). Do we play the same leader in both?

Sorry if I wasn't clear, what I meant is that yes, in real-time, the two games would be played by the same person at the same time, but the actual start of the second game would be delayed such that we'd play the first turn of the second game at the time we'd be playing, for example, turn 50 of the first game. Just so there's a little more variety between the two games.

Although, I like Kokturk's idea of having one game have a classical/medieval start, as well, got the same basic principle of my idea, without the "can we start it yet??" factor. :crazyeye:

Okay guys my desktop has crashed and I am going to have to sort that out. Using a laptop for now. If I go missing its my technical lack of skills. Bear with me.

Going to accept players to game(s) based on first posted. I intend to limit to six humans and some number of AI. We seem to have an interest in doing one ancient and one later era start.

I need a yay/nay on the two eras.

Please post suggestions for all other options including map type size and victory conditions.

I would assume we'd all be free to choose difference civs of course.

For admin purposes please send private message to me with email address and GMT zone for turn order selection.

I'm okay with different starting eras as long its not too far down the line.

Random civ for me
Map type: Continents
How many AIs are you going to use? 1 for each player?
Victory conditions all but time.

PM send

Random civ as well.
I like Perfect World, but I'm cool with anything besides waterlogged planets.
I don't care about the AIs.
And I like all of the victory conditions.

This idea sounds greats! You still got room left?

I've never actually tried the Perfect World script in IV but I really like it in V so I'd like to try it out here.

Other options I'd prefer:
- Random civ for me (though I'd prefer not to get stuck with a civ with an obsolete unique unit in our later era start game)
- One AI per player
- Barbarians on
- No tech trading (or if we decide to have it, definitely no tech brokering)
- All victory conditions

my preferences:
-tech trading off
-difficulty - emperor (so that AI and barbs actually do something)
-if we go with advanced start in one of the games we need to remember that some religions will get founded in a random city in the first couple of turns

-if we go with advanced start in one of the games we need to remember that some religions will get founded in a random city in the first couple of turns

:confused: what, no they don't. They do if we start in another era than Ancient.

Have ordered a hard drive and hope to be up and running within a day at which time I will bring some heat to you guys so we can make decisions and get this rolling.

More thoughts in the morning.

Some have sent PMs with info, email and time if you haven't please do so by tomorrow.

:ninja:

Top Bottom