Dr kossin #1

kossin

Deity
Hello all, I've decided to start my own little forum games that have been called Dr kossin, which stands for Daily Round.

Yes, my goal is to get in a update every day - as long as I have the time (work, girlfriend, etc). I might skip a day here and there but I will compensate by playing an extra round here and there.
Now I don't plan on very long updates, sometimes just 10 turns, and will stop at strategic times.

That being said, I'm not a great player but I can manage at times. My goal is to improve and, if possible, help others improve as well. I couldn't beat Noble when I started reading this forum (could barely beat Warlord) and I am now in the process of moving up to Immortal.

That's where you come in. I need your ideas, your criticism and everything else you can throw at me - even if you can't beat Noble. Since I plan on an update everyday, there will be mistakes from my part and I might not always get the best advice going forward. That's life!

You are also welcome to shadow this game, although I would prefer you post it in spoilers and no further than I have already played. You can still shadow the whole game and post it but it is important that no one uses that knowledge (land, AIs) to help me.

Without further time wasting, let's go to the first game.

Dr kossin #1

Round 0 Warrior move & settling
Round 1 Initial scouting until first settler
Round 2a Some fog uncovered...
Round 2b To rush or not to rush
Round 3 Consolidating the Empire
Round 4 Until the birth of Christ (well, a Guru anyway)
Round 5a Short round, short question
Round 5b What would you like to build next?
Round 6 To Liberalism and further preparations.
Round 7 Shift+Enter

Game settings:
Immortal
Fractal (I've had a friend check that it is not isolated or semi-isolated)
Normal Speed
No Huts/Events
BUG 4.1 in Custom Assets
Everything else normal.

To start the series, I've picked my favorite leader: Hatshepsut.

Creative for easy border pops, fast libraries, theatres and colosseums.
Spiritual for anarchy-free civic/religion changes, fast temples and Cristo Redemptor.

Her UB: A monument with 2 Prophet slots.

Her UU: A chariot with 5 strength. Great for taking barb cities.

We start with Agriculture and The Wheel

These are the 2 most expensive starting techs. Moreover, pottery is only 1 tech away.

And the start:

2 corns, one riverside (and a riverside wine). Looks pretty good.

Here's what I think is in the fog:

Where should I move the warrior?
I will post a new screenshot after some feedback.

Agreed.

Warrior 1N. Settle in place. Start building a worker and research Animal husbandry.

I would move the warrior 1 NE. As opposed to moving 1 N you lose out on seeing the guessed "forested plains hill" square 3N and 1W of the settler. Since judgeing by the maps all hidden tiles next to the hill 1N of the warrior are hills, there is no benefit to moving onto a hill. Since the square you miss out on is forested, you aren't likely to be missing a resource on that square either. By moving 1NE you get to see the grass? square and the grass that are 3N, 3E of the settler and 2N, 3E of the settler. Also, since these squares don't look like hills, if there are hills behind them you will get a further bonus to tiles uncovered.

Since you can see that everything south and west of you (almost everything besides 1 square) is forested. If the warrior finds something of interest to the north east, you don't risk losing much by going after it, and Wine is definitely not a necessity to have in your BFC. Moving away from the river might not be ideal, but it's worth considering if the warrior uncovers something fun.

just for interest what you all find in one N. Forests and hills will block any advantage on vision radius. 1NE gives four unforested tiles [probably] with max info.

Settle in place first then use the extra vision as a means to get a jump on which direction the warrior should go.

Double corn, one irrigated, is very strong. It looks like you're headed straight to BW with this start unless you have a livestock resource. After that maybe AH/Writing but we'll have to see the surroundings (will probably shadow).

Warrior 1N.

Tech goes -> Mining -> BW, the rest depends on surrounding resources (you have a lot of forests..)

Build order would go Worker -> then it all depends. If you have a lot of land to fogbust, go warriors, but with all of the forests, you could go something odd like Worker -> Worker -> Settler (Double Chop) -> Warriors. This would work if you tech Pottery third, as you could pay for it all easily (what also helps is that Hatty is a Creative leader). Would also help if you find Copper for a second site (assuming you go BW #2).

Warrior 1n or 1ne. I think it doesn't matter settling in place looks best unless there is a nice resource north. On river for health bonus and 2 corns (1 irragated) and wine looks strong.

Round 0

I agreed that 1NE would reveal the most tiles so I got this:

Seeing nothing too great, I settled in place, getting stone in the BFC.

I got right most of the fogged tiles and we are close to coast.
Looks like we're way down south with perhaps a little backfilling land to the east.

With all these forests, is wonderspamming in the books?

I will try to play the first round tonight, but in case I don't, look for it tomorrow!

You *could* do a religious economy here.

Mining -> BW -> Mysticism would be a good way to nab Stonehenge, which will unlock your UB for all cities, and will help you on your path of religious domination.

Go with the mining/BW as suggested. Keep scouting. Worker and farm the corn.

Unless there is a war-monger nearby consider masonry next and a big push for the Great Wall. Possibly Stonehenge, but the Great wall at Immortal is a big thing.

I think you should take advantage of the stone to build the great wall, and then just chop out as many settlers/workers as you can.

I haven't gone after the great wall in any game in quite a bit of time. Assuming there are a couple of industrious civ's to compete against, is it safe to go mining>BW>masonry and using 2 workers to chop/slave out the great wall?

Round 1

Research went Mining>BW>AH>Just started Masonry... should switch for fishing I think

Worker first. Our warrior explored a bit and ran in a lion which I tried to dodge for a while but he kept following me. Luckily, he didn't kill my warrior but I lost precious scouting time.
Turn 4 - He came from the north

Turn 5 - North East

When the worker was completed, he went ahead and farmed both corns. By the time the second was grown, Thebes was size three and produced a second worker with the help of a chop.
The first worker then made a mine while the second worker started chopping for a settler while growing to size 4.

Turn 35 - North West but he could be anywhere

Turn 37 - The settler is ready.

I had started roading to the second city site, but now seeing as Justinian is starting to box me in, it might be time to rush him with War Chariots. The alternative is to turtle down with the Pyramids, 6 cities and go for a cavalry war. I still need to scout westwards but seeing as Brennus found me so early I don't think I have a lot of room to expand.

Thankfully, Justinian is despised by everyone I know so no Diplo hit.

Techs so far

If we rush, fishing is next for growth.
Otherwise, Masonry>Fishing

Thoughts? HA rush with Pyramids?

Edit: forgot save.

"HR Kossin"? Hourly Rounds...?! I was just in the act of posting a reply to the starting position when we're at round 1 already! :eek: I love fast games though.

Don't see any way you can rush J at from here on immortal, especially with the horse there in such a poor production position. Get the gold/oasis/anything else in the fog nearby settled, and review the situation after some more scouting with WCs. Looks like a good fun start actually - a nice lot of resources but somewhat cornered. Let's see what's directly north before jumping to conclusions.

I say get the horses and start a war chariot rush of Justinian. Your land is soso and Justinian's laready looks pretty good. TEch I say masonry and Pottery. Then hit writing for the cheap libraries.

Don't settle any of those spots, especially not the Pig/Crab spot. You need to settle north, not south! Go for the Pig/Crab spot as a 4th or 5th city, but 100% not a second city. Settle a second city on the Silk for a bit of extra commerce, as the Corn will feed the Gold. Third city should go by horses or go way north (but I'm not sure what is north, as there's no screenshot). A chariot rush is still possible, but I'd go 3 cities before and go Horse Archer rush instead, as you can get a good BPT on this land (well, a good early BPT).

Why are you playing rounds so quick? If you want to improve, let people comment and reply to their comments. Don't go ahead and play another round without reading what people have to say. I have no clue why you went worker -> worker, as Justintinian was so close by that you probably should've (and could've) went worker -> Settler (improve both corns) -> Worker (Chop it) and then warriors to size 4, and another settler and worker. If you would've done something like that, you would have hit a higher BPT than you have now, and would be in a better position to attack Justin.

If you ask for people opinions, listen to them

I think Kossin wsaid he was going to do 1 round a night, which I guess is round 1, not round 0.

I agree I was also confused by the 2 workers. I would have went a few warriors or as Kadazzle said an earlier settlers as Justinian is Imperialistic. Still you are creative and can fight fo culture early.

I still say take the horses with the next city though.

Advice on posting games. Always give everyone at least one day to comment on where to move the warrior, otherwise we all get grouchy!

Top Bottom