Dr kossin #38

No visible coast, all green....

I'm betting Pangea and you're right in the middle semi-isolated.

You're going to want some serious barb defense.

Shyuhe's tech order sounds good. How many turns assuming his worker order for archers? I'm hopeless at calculating that.

Gotag

If there's 20+ tiles in a direction without an AI, barbs won't be able to do the job or I'll have to build so much it'll cost a fortune in hammers/upkeep.

This sentence is very confusing...
I guess you mean to say warriors won't be able to do the job, not barbs. ;)

If so, I agree.
Warriors are great spawnbusters, but even on immortal, they often start dying too fast. Barbarian spears and axes show up so early... On deity, warriors must be next to useless. :(

Maybe just one warrior to stand on your gems and tell the jungle to 'go away!' would be worth it? How many turns would it be between moving warrior #2 to gems and moving your worker there to start a mine?

No visible coast, all green....

I'm betting Pangea and you're right in the middle semi-isolated.

Gotag

Doesnt being Pangea preclude isolation?

Based on the high quality of your capital, I would wager that there is at least one AI within 15 tiles of you. Can't find the thread, but somebody proposed that strong capitals meant cramped lands. Seems true enough.

Doesnt being Pangea preclude isolation?

What I mean here in my rather poor way of expressing it is that there is no AI nearby. Way too early to tell mind you.

At diety levels, while such a start is great from an expansion POV, it is hell from a barb POV. You don't have a bunch of wandering AI units killing barb spawn and spawn busting AND you have generally a much larger area they can spawn from compared to a true isolated start. True it fills up fast but plays hell on your inprovements in the meanwhile.

Assuming you survive intact, you'll have great possibilites to grab barb cities for further expansion.

Gotag

Course it's only turn 1 but y'know, production is going to rather low in this capital for quite a while. I wonder if going straight for BW would be best, get a second worker at size 2 or 3 and have the pair of them chop some forest. There's so much of it that 6+ can easily be used on REX/defence and leave enough for a tactical wonder or two later if appropriate.

Two big foods is good for settlers but don't forget the IMP bonus only applies to real hammers, not food hammers, so without chopping or whipping settlers will still be quite slow. Clearly whipping away gems is a painful thing to do, so that's another reason to focus on chopping. The chop hammers will be +50% if put into settlers - not to be sniffed at, as not many leaders have a hammer bonus that can be used straight away like that, and Sully's next one is on universities which is a long way off. (Well GLib with marble perhaps).

Round 1

Well this was a quickie.

Daggered on t48.

I'd seen him go after the barb city but he seems to have turned around and decided to pick on me instead (good choice btw).

And it looked like such a fun game with the marble close at hand!

I noticed one of the diplo demerits was " A first impression is a lasting one." I have never seen this before, what does it mean?

I noticed one of the diplo demerits was " A first impression is a lasting one." I have never seen this before, what does it mean?

its part of a mod which shows "Hidden Modifiers"

I believe it's for Higher Difficuiltys, such as Diety for Kossin, to make Diplomacy even more of a :):):):):).

Bad luck, what will the next DR bring?

Oh no :(

I guess a retake may be in order. Or could you try to pop a modern armor from a magical hut?

No, that first impression thing isn't only for higher levels, I saw it on monarch as well. I don't know about lower than monarch cause I didn't use the BULL mod when I was playing noble/prince. :)

@kossin
Is there any way a player can have enough defense so early in the game? I mean... I understand that the game should be difficult in deity, but that isn't difficult, that's absurd.

@CivilizedTiger
The only way you could have enough defense so early... is if you knew it was coming. And if you did put up such a defense everytime, you'd end up losing more often due to underexpansion. Barring extreme circumstances of course :).

wow, bad luck...

I shadowed this game a bit to 1AD, similar opening.

Spoiler :

Mining-BW-Hunting-archer-AH-Myst-Pottery-writing-Anesth-Math-poly-literature-COL-bulb Philo to found Tao and traded for bunch of techs. Jao even gifted jungle city he took from barbs to me lol.

very light on military, 2 AIs converted to Tao hoping all pleased soon.
Burned a GS on a golden age to switch to HR/Burea/Caste/Pacifism and to Tao.

Top Bottom