Duchy of Brittany

I can also make a set of screenshots like that with the technology and the corresponding unit.
But I do not know if we understand well for the technology tree.

Attachments

• Tech_Caraque.jpg
    Tech_Caraque.jpg
    274.7 KB · Views: 177
  • Caraque.jpg
    Caraque.jpg
    457.1 KB · Views: 194
As you have probably noticed, some of the texts are in English and the other in French for a game in French.
So I thought, for the translations, make me a text file with the paragraphs to translate and I will send it to you translated.
This could make it possible to have an available mod fully translated into both languages.
I tell you this but if you have a solution that suits you better or is easier for you tell me how you want to proceed.

Or for techs I can do a screen like this. It may be even better, right?

Attachments

• Donjon.jpg
    Donjon.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 183
Thanks, @Blackrainbow831. I'm going to an appointment this morning, but hope to work on the mod this afternoon.

- Right now - the most important thing to do is to test the mod to make sure it's stable and it is working they way you want it to (all the bonuses from buildings, trait, etc.). We are looking for things that are incorrect, i.e. when the bonus doesn't match the description or is missing, etc.

- When the mod is finished testing and all the problems are fixed, we can start collecting pictures, etc., for the STEAM package. I am mostly interested in screenshots of battles between Breton units and other civ's units. But I want to wait until I fix the unit names and icons before collecting too many pictures.

- I don't need any more maps or pictures of Anne. Unless you want to change the ones currently in the mod.

- The Breton motto "kentoc'h mervel eget bezañ saotret" - is probably too long. Most Traits/UAs are only 2-3 words long. The UIs that display the Traits aren't designed for this many words, and will look broken. Is there a shorter version of this motto?

- Looking at your screenshots, it looks like if a French text key is missing, the game will use the English version. This is OK for now, until we add the French keys. We can add those a few at a time as we continue testing.

Back online later.

The pictures in posts #41 &43 look quite good. However, I have changed the name of the Caraque to the Karakenn, so it will be confusing to anyone playing. So, we should wait on screen grabs until after the mod is finished testing.

The text file for translation sounds like a good idea. Probably Friday, I will make the text file with all the text keys that we need translated. I'm hoping this won't be too much work for you. Most of them are not long.

Alright I continue to test the mod to see what could not work properly.

I will wait for a lot of screenshots so anyway it's quick and easy to do so it's better to do it at the last moment.

No, there is no shorter version for the currency so it does not matter if you can not use it.

And yes indeed in absence of translation, the mods displays the text in English by default.

A quick note. You can change the "zoom level" of the game, allowing you to get closer to the map, making the units much larger. It sometimes helps to get better screen grabs.

You're looking for the "config.ini" file, which is located at some place like:

C:\Users\XXXX\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5

Where XXXX is the account used when the game was installed.

You can open the "config.ini" file using Notepad.

Once the file is open, use CTRL-F to search for "Minimum Zoom Level"

The value is set to 11.0 by default. I changed mine to 4.0 so I can zoom in very close. You can adjust this value any way you prefer.

Next, save the file and exit Notepad. Restart Civ V and test to make sure the change worked.

No need to make these changes, if you don't want to. But it may help get better screen grabs later.

For the motto, Gedemo used the motto, "Kentoc'h mervel" - which I guess means "Rather Death" according to Wiki (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breiz_da_Zont)

How about using "Bro Gozh ma Zadoù" for the motto/Trait name? It's quite shorter than "Kentoc'h mervel eget bezañ saotret" and probably will fit in the current UI's.

Would that sound better to Breton ears, or should we stay with the shorter motto that Gedemo used?

I'll work on a few changes this afternoon, then post a new version later today. If I have enough time, I'll send you the text file here as well.

The mod is really coming along nicely. I think we'll have it more or less done by the weekend. And, if I say so myself, I think it will be a beauty that's quite fun to play! Well, at least on maps with some coast-lines... :lol:

Morning! Here are the latest versions of the icons and screenshots:

upload_2018-7-26_4-33-59.jpeg upload_2018-7-26_5-0-1.jpeg upload_2018-7-26_5-0-18.jpeg

Top Row:
1. Civ Icon
2. Leader Icon
3. Donjon
4. Tourtan
5. Dolmen
6. Karakenn (Galleass)
7. BK (Privateer)
8. Cog (Trireme)

Bottom Row:
1. Fourgadenn (Frigate)
2. Klezenvden (Longswordsman)
3. Man at Arms (a type of Landsknecht)

After adding these, the only things to do on my list are to get Breton/French names for some units (Musketman, Rifleman, Great War Infantry, WW2 Infantry and maybe the Cog?) and provide you with a list of Text Keys to translate.

I'll start on the list this morning, but have many things to do today, so it will probably be late tomorrow before I'm finished with it.

That is all that is on my list. If you can think of anything else, let me know.

UPDATE: I uploaded the latest version this morning. It has about all the actual content I'd originally planned to include. I'll run a couple of test games this morning with LiveTuner to make sure it's stable. Heck, I may even play one myself - as the civ is quite fun to play! :lol:

Last edited:
Awesome ! You really do a remarkable job especially with the units and icons. I like a lot.
Regarding the names of the inuties I found only infantry-> Troadegiezh in Breton
for the rest nothing so I guess to leave like that or give you the French translation of the game for the units.
Regarding the Cog it is difficult to find accurate information for warships in Europe before anything caraque or caravel (except for triremes or ships Viking) so I have no better idea.
So for Musketman-> Arquebusier
for Rifleman-> Fusilier

Thanks. Am glad it's looking like you want it to.

I found an online Breton-English dictionary (https://glosbe.com/en/br). Using it, I attempted to create unit names. Here is what I have so far:

Musketman -> Mouskeden

Rifleman -> Fuzuilhden

Great War Infantry -> Karabinennden

WW2 Infantry -> Troadegiezh

Do these sound OK or would a Breton think it is terrible?

I was thinking about the "Cog" name. Since Brittany was largely Celtic in the late Classical/early Medieval period, maybe a Celtic word would be better? Looking online, I found a few words that might work:
Eithear, Sgot (shorter words), although the best match might be Luingeas Chogaidh.

If this doesn't work, how does the French word "Cogue" work for the Cog?

Yes I tried a lot of dictionary and translator French / Breton (including glosbe) but whatever the direction in which I tried he gave me a name in French output.
Good if you gave it a result then.
As a result yes use the baths that you found in Breton it has not hurt.

And of the little that I know Breton it seems to me to be correct or at least as close as possible if this is not the case after I do not speak Breton so I think it is better to go above and if someone on steam so know better, he will make us by their suggestions.

In fact for all that is the cog it was a navirre especially used by the Germanic or Scandinavian countries (in fact one finds some especially in sea of nor and in Baltic sea).
So to be honest I'm not sure it's very Breton or even Western Europe.

But as I said before I have a hard time knowing what was really used as a ship at this time and therefore even more for Brittany.

Thanks. I'll use these names for the land units. When the old mod was first published, a couple of Breton players quickly made suggestions on how to change the unit names. Maybe something similar will happen with this mod.

The Cog was more of a northern ship - in the Medieval Era. However, Celts were building a smaller but similar vessel in/around the British Isles several hundred years earlier. And since the Celts were living in Brittany during this time, I would assume they had similar technology. I'll probably use the Celtic word "Eithear" for the unit and move on to the missing text keys.

I think we're almost ready to publish!!! :clap:

I have completed the review of the Text Keys that need translating. They are in the attached text file. I included the actual TXT_KEY_ in the file, so I can make sure I put your translations into the correct key later.

Really, really appreciate the help in getting this right!

Attachments

• DOB English Text Keys.txt
    7.6 KB · Views: 108
Ok I put on the translation of the texts.
I will re-read myself to avoid any typos or spelling mistakes ^^

however, when translating the dungeon, I realized that I did not quite agree with the definition of the dungeon. (in any case in France) Indeed the first stone dungeon seems reassembled at the end of the tenth century in France and indeed despite its first use which was for defensive purposes, it also served as home to the lord as well as family.
In peacetime the dungeon contained the treasures, the weapons and the archives of the family.

Can you also explain to me what you meant by "the royal and wealthy nobles sought to expand their influence by adding comfort and cultural features to impress visitors and the local populace." that I do not make mistakes in translating.

I continue to translate the rest while waiting.
And I guess the icons are not good for +1 [ICON_FOOD] Culture from Fish (TXT_KEY_BUILDING_TOURTAN_HELP)

The kings and rich lords wanted to impress people so they made their castles more than just defensive. They made them comfortable and added many decorations. They thought this would make them more powerful and respected.

Of you see the ICON_ANYTHING (e.g. ICON_FOOD, ICON_CULTURE, ICON_GOLD, etc.) just ignore it and translate everything else. I'll fix it when it goes into the mod.

I added the music into the mod - it sounds quite good while testing.

Top Bottom