Dumbest thing you've seen the AI do

wpfossil

Chieftain
For me, it was building a Great Prophet while in danger of losing its last city. I did get a free shrine out of the deal though.

How do you know the AI had the points to build another guy? Do you know what trees it was working on? What point in the game? What beliefs it had?

Actually you bring up a good point as it buys the GP with faith and didn't waste gold. Doh!

More like pointless rather than dumb.

Last night Cathy marched two settlers into the front line of our war. At first I thought it was a trick, but then I remembered that the AI is incredibly stupid, so I seized the settlers and used the workers as bait. :hammer2:

The list is endless but a very recent entry had Attila attacking an obsolete city of mine instead of defending his last cities which resulted extinction in 3 turns. This http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=469360&page=4 enlightens the situation with pics (last few out the 9).

G

To be honest, given how you have utterly dominated the world by then, I really can't see how Attila could have done better just by defending. Deity AI bonuses or not, by then he couldn't even outspam you even if he wanted. If he waited in his cities, it would only buy him a few short turns before the inevitable collapse.

Him attacking you at this point is more like a last ditch act borne out of hopeless desperation and the threat of extinction.

In my opinion, the pinnacle of AI stupidity is when it tries to get by your line of defense to get to an outlying civ it just DoW'd. This happened to me plenty of times. The AI simply gets his units freaking butchered, and never learns. You can expect the same thing happening 10 turns later :)

However, I have also seen the AI CoD'ing you with those units, so it is a two way street, you never know what it is :p

The AI do all sorts of things that seem dumb...like concentrating on your weakest or most vulnerable range unit, when it might make more sense to attack your melee unit that can actually finish off their city.

But having said this, sometimes they do surprise you and will nail that melee unit...making you have to "tread water" until you can get a new melee unit up to the front.

Hmmm, I sometimes wonder if they "know" that it will buy them time if they take out that melee unit.... But, I suspect not...;)

Turn 153 on emperor - the AI hasn't improved a single tile near its capital city, is this some sort of a bug?

Askia was retreating back to his city but went right through my buddy ally Yerevan. Needless to say his archer/warriors got owned while the GG also died with them.

Attila not rush buying a wall when he has the gold and the incentive for doing so in his second city. Ironically he has the wall build in his capital and I didn't even touch that until 30+ turns after while he lost his putrid 13 defense city in 3 turns.

I think the ai is alot better in gods and kings, that being said The dumbest thing I have seen the ai do so far is in one of my games I was drug into a war against germany that was on another continent long in short of it I was occupied with a war against siam on my continent, I never went over to there continent and only had a scout over there, never won a battle with them. After a while Bismark offers me a peace deal 2,500 gold, 168 gpt, several luxury's and 3 citys lol.

Carthage, separated from me by a mountain range, declares war and decides it is a good idea to suicide 3/4 of her units while crossing the 2-tiles-wide mountains.

Carthage, separated from me by a mountain range, declares war and decides it is a good idea to suicide 3/4 of her units while crossing the 2-tiles-wide mountains.

Yeah this happens a bit too often on just about every game Carthage is in. Maybe that's why she never becomes a run away civ in my games. :/

Yeah this happens a bit too often on just about every game Carthage is in. Maybe that's why she never becomes a run away civ in my games. :/

She almost did in my Huns game, but that's mainly because I did most of her legwork for her and even then the remnants gave her a good pasting for ages.

Earlier this evening just started a Deity game, turn 12/15 Austria comes to me all afraid. I only have a Warrior and Scout... Any one interested I can provide a link to the VoD on twitch.

To be honest, given how you have utterly dominated the world by then, I really can't see how Attila could have done better just by defending. Deity AI bonuses or not, by then he couldn't even outspam you even if he wanted. If he waited in his cities, it would only buy him a few short turns before the inevitable collapse.

Him attacking you at this point is more like a last ditch act borne out of hopeless desperation and the threat of extinction.

The outcome would've been the same even if Attila would have defended his cities - no question about that but the 1st priority for a civ should be to exist. Attila's action in that situation was just weird running towards totally useless city while leaving his capital undefended when I was on the doorsteps. This is not the 1st time by any means but most recent one. On several occasions AI has been completely wiped out by another AI while just banging one of my city for ages leaving another front undefended.

G

In my opinion, the pinnacle of AI stupidity is when it tries to get by your line of defense to get to an outlying civ it just DoW'd. This happened to me plenty of times. The AI simply gets his units freaking butchered, and never learns. You can expect the same thing happening 10 turns later :)

Yes, this happens all the time. Most recent for me was an attack on my allied C-S that marched units through a killing field over and over.

On Immortal I have seen Korea with 2 stone and 1 marble in their capital, and I was like "Oh, great, I guess I can't wonderspam" but Korea never put quarries on them. He even got Mausolom of Halicarnasus and didn't improve the stone and marble.

I once saw Napoleon build Chichen Itza a few turns before Monty conquered him.

The AI do all sorts of things that seem dumb...like concentrating on your weakest or most vulnerable range unit, when it might make more sense to attack your melee unit that can actually finish off their city.

But having said this, sometimes they do surprise you and will nail that melee unit...making you have to "tread water" until you can get a new melee unit up to the front.

Hmmm, I sometimes wonder if they "know" that it will buy them time if they take out that melee unit.... But, I suspect not...;)

I have seen people claim this, but I have never seen it in my games. In fact, just the opposite. In my games, the AI always, ALWAYS targets melee units first in any army I have attacking their cities. Therefore, I always hold my melee units in reserve or make sure to have two or three available for cycling.

Likewise, the AI always targets wounded units, and wounded melee units are the top priority, at least in my games.

As far as silly decisions, the AI can get flustered and change focus from one victory condition to another too quickly (i.e., if they had stayed with one victory condition they may have won, or would have been more likely to win, despite the pressure being exerted on them that caused them to change their focus). My last Immortal game, Wu was running away in the late game, but switched from Domination (first to get Manhattan Project) to Apollo (got to the SS Stasis Chamber) to Diplomatic (built the UN as my fleet of battleships was approaching her city state ally and her capital). The last switch was particularly silly because no one, including her civ and my own, had enough votes for a diplo victory.

Top Bottom