Dungeons and Dragons 3rd Edition

hmm...
I kinda like the memorizing thing but not completly.
They should have a combination of a Spell Point and a memorize system. Small things (say level 0 - 4) can be cast from a pool of points (wether they are spell, magic or fatigue points isn't important) and more powerful & complex spells require study.
You could give a spellcaster a Magic skill value based on level, spellcraft skill, special feats, intelligence and dexterity(for somatic stuff). Spells get a difficulty value based on the level, number of componen types (S/M/V), number of components, complexity of casting. Magic Skill > Difficulty = cast prom points, Magic Skill < Difficulty = memorize.

But well, we gotta live with what they give us or make a complete set of rules for ourselves :/

I like both of your ideas Magnus and DaEezT. I think I might try out that spell fatigue. So if you roll the 1d6-4 and on the die you get 1 do you take 1 point of damage or 0? The books always say at least 1 damage but maybe it works different for the spells?

Also ever run into the problem of animal attacks like eagles. They get something like 1d6-4 for their claws. What do they get on a crit? 1d6-4 x 2? Or 2d6-4? I never could find where in the book it says, but 1d6-4 x 2 sounds stupid since a critical hit is supposed to be a better hit and not the same result!.

D&D3 has a minimum of 1 per die rolled, so that hawk would crit and do 2d6-8 (everything is doubled on a crit!) so he is essentially gonna do 2 pts of damage but maybe get lucky and do 3 or 4.

The most fun thing about spell fatigue is say your wizard is down to 7 hit points and a nasty horde of monsters is bearing down on the party so he lets loose a fireball - and falls unconscious from the shock (i.e. 10 hp of self inflicted fatigue) as the monsters are blown to smithereens. How heroic! Like he KNEW it was gonna knock him out but he had to do it to save everyone else.

Originally posted by Magnus
D&D3 has a minimum of 1 per die rolled, so that hawk would crit and do 2d6-8 (everything is doubled on a crit!) so he is essentially gonna do 2 pts of damage but maybe get lucky and do 3 or 4.
Good point.

The most fun thing about spell fatigue is say your wizard is down to 7 hit points and a nasty horde of monsters is bearing down on the party so he lets loose a fireball - and falls unconscious from the shock (i.e. 10 hp of self inflicted fatigue) as the monsters are blown to smithereens. How heroic! Like he KNEW it was gonna knock him out but he had to do it to save everyone else.
I have read so many books where a situation like this came up and hated that D&D didn't allow it. 3e is the first time I have played a Mage and enjoyed it, making it all the way up to level 9. The other versions I might have made it up to 2, if I was lucky to live that long. :)

I know this is a long shot but I will try anyway. Is there anyone within a hour or so from Philly that is having a game that I can come to? I just moved up from North Carolina and haven't been to a game in months now. Thanks ;)[/beg]

LOL @ [/beg]

I am running my game Saturday but am a good 5 hours from Philly.

[evil DM] fun things to do with a party that has undercurrent dislikes for one another: throw a symbol of discord at them - they get to fight each other guilt-free for 2d4 rounds! (I only had one death - I was hoping for a little more - hehehee) [/evil DM]

I'd love to find a game in or near Columbus, Ohio, but I don't want to just find a bunch of strangers. I don't have any of the new 3E stuff, but I'd buy what I need in a heart beat.

I remember playing a few games back in the day on a message board. They never really lasted very long though...too bad.

I found a great site for finding players or groups to play with. Now this won't fit your criteria knowltok3 b/c they will be strangers but it is better than nothing. And now, the link: http://www5.ewebcity.com/mshensley/
I have listed myself (under PA) and found a group on there. I emailed the group offering the game and received an email back stating that they would be glad to have me in the game. I just now have to call them and get directions and find out what day they are playing. Will tell you how it went when I get back. Hopefully I don't get kidnapped ;) or would it be horsenapped?

Thanks for the website. I may have to see about joing a group. Civfanatics seems to be filling my need for intellectual coversation, now all I need is my need to act like a half crazed evil wizard (I'll just take Simon Darkshade as a model ;) ).

Update: Have not found a group yet. The guy I was in email correspondence with found out that they had already added 2 new people into the group and they are now full :( either that or the police were breathing down their necks for the other victims.....er, players that have come up missing. ;)

Top Bottom