Duplicate Icons

Here is an icon for the Wooden Ships category. I took a promotion icon from Realism Invictus, cut out the ship, and blew it up. The original Naval icon will stay with the Steam Ships category. I've got icons for all the other categories (Wooden, Diesel, Nuclear, Submarine).

View attachment 407609

I missed a duplicate along the way. Missionary units are currently using the same icon as the Crusader promotion. I am deliberately allowing unit classes to use the same icon as their counter-promotion (for example, Melee units use the same icon as Shock I) but Missionary units don't need a counter, so I think we should change this.

This is used for Missionaries in Fall from Heaven 2. I think it will work for us too.
View attachment 407620

I missed another duplicate. Nanite units and Nanoids promotion use the same icon.

I pulled this Nanites icon out of Planetfall and put it on the standard unitclass/promotion background. I don't think it even needs a recolor. Planetfall is good for futuristic promotions/unit classes because the icons are already very stylized and easy to color.

I think this would be best for the Nanite class units and leave the existing Nanoids promotion alone.

View attachment 407652

I like that image. The ywllow on blue is particularly good.

I managed to miss yet another duplicate. Heroic and Martial Arts use the same button. It seems weird to me looking at them again that Taoism gets two promotions: Martial Arts and Waidan. But for now, we just need to change the icons.

The easy thing to do here is cut out the heroic arm and put it on the blue background. Regular promotions are blue; the green is for Lead by Warlord promotions, and while the religion promotions are also Lead by Warlord, Taoist Monastery and Hellenic Gymnasium bypass the check, so I think for the sake of consistency, let's keep all the religious promos blue.

View attachment 407665

I have nine icons left on my list: Automate Hurry, Bunker [the improvement, not the building], Burn Forest, Burn Jungle, Command Center, Global Positioning System, Industrial Complex, Plant Animal Herd (I still want to go back and look at this one a little), and Small Diameter Bomb.

I also am working on assembling the buttons into atlases. I still have hundreds of buttons left to do, but I think a lot of them don't need any real work. They are leftovers from when some of the buttons were assembled into atlases and the originals weren't deleted. Once you have atlases, you don't need separate files.

Besides that, the only things I want to do before I release a new update are new unit models for the Colonist and Pioneer (Pioneer using the Wagon Train from Colonization) and perhaps create a few building links. I like the idea of retooling Sculptor's Workshop into an upgrade of Stoneworker's Hut. Stonemason is not part of that, though. Stonemason is specifically part of the Carpenter building chain.

The upper arm shading looks rather excessive, I think.

The upper arm shading looks rather excessive, I think.

Where exactly do you think it looks bad? I cut the arm directly out of the original icon. I did add a drop shadow to it after pasting it on the promotion background.

It's the thick band of shading just to the left of the elbow. It make it look rather like a tattoo or an armband.

I think it looks slightly better with the light shading, yes.

What do you think of about using different icons for units with ethnic art styles?

I'm going through the buttons files and assembling them into atlases now. I think I'm done with buildings and promotions. Technologies are almost done but I haven't incorporated the icons for the religion-founding techs yet (the variant icon that shows up when discovering a tech will found a religion). I've done the work for the base units but I think there are some opportunities for different buttons for the ethnic units.

I found this file labeled akula_button.dds. We do have a separate art definition for the Russian Attack Submarine. I personally think it would be interesting to use these buttons when possible, but the drawback would mean extra buttons to recognize.

View attachment 407826

I'm trying to hunt down the last few icons I need to replace. I went looking for icons to use for Burn Forest and Burn Jungle. In this case, I think we can use one icon for both since the two missions have the same purpose (remove a feature with no hammer gain) and you will never see them both together (a tile cannot be both forest and jungle).

Here are three I think would work.

This one is Slash and Burn in Quot Capita.
View attachment 407848

This one is from the Elemental Promotions button pack. It's very visually striking but I think it is a little too dramatic for this purpose.
View attachment 407850

This is the one that I like the best, but I would not use it directly for the burn action. Instead, I would use this button to replace our current Fire Pit and the current Fire Pit button for the burn action.
View attachment 407849

Let me know what you think.

3rd option seems the best.

I like the third icon for Fire Pit. What's the current icon?

Top Bottom