Dwarf Tossing in Florida?

Miles Teg

Nuclear Powered Mentat
Palm Beach Press said:
Some news on the job-creation front in Florida.

A state legislator has found yet another example of government regulation getting in the way of job creation.

So Rep. Ritch Workman, R-Melbourne, filed a bill this week to bring back "dwarf tossing," the barbaric and dangerous barroom spectacle that was imported from Australia and thrived briefly in Florida before it was outlawed in 1989.

"I'm on a quest to seek and destroy unnecessary burdens on the freedom and liberties of people," Workman said. "This is an example of Big Brother government.

"All that it does is prevent some dwarfs from getting jobs they would be happy to get," Workman said. "In this economy, or any economy, why would we want to prevent people from getting gainful employment?"

State lawmaker's not-so-lofty effort

Yes, the viral government-kills-jobs theme is being repackaged into what might be called a Leave No Tossed Dwarf Behind bill.

"I would never force anybody to take this form of employment or pay to watch it," Workman said. "I think it's repulsive and stupid. But it's none of the state's business if somebody wants to do this."

Workman's efforts to create employment opportunities for little people willing to be objectified as flying objects was not done after consultation with anyone eligible for this line of work.

"The people who were thrown were alcoholics with low self-esteem," said Robert Van Etten, 62, of Stuart. "Many of them were injured. One committed suicide."

Van Etten, a 3-foot-5-inch engineering consultant and former president of Little People of America, has worked with his wife, Angela, for years to educate people about the physical and psychological dangers of dwarf tossing.

Dangers and painful memories

Bringing dwarf tossing back to Florida is a step backward, he said, a move that signals a permissive air of mockery on an entire class of people.

"It's something that brings out the worst element in some people, and it's focused on people who are the most vulnerable," Van Etten said.

David Dodge, 43, of Vero Beach is a computer network consultant and the 4-foot-4-inch Florida district director of the Little People of America.

"The possibility of getting paralyzed is high," Dodge said, "and then to be used as an object for people's amusement is very degrading."

The little person credited with bringing dwarf tossing to Florida died of acute alcohol poisoning in 1989.

David Wilson, 27, was a former carnival worker who had been traveling with a promoter, getting tossed by barroom patrons around the state. Wilson died in Gainesville with a blood-alcohol level of 0.43 percent.

Later that year, the state legislature moved to end dwarf tossing by passing a law that punished bars with $1,000 fines and a revocation of their liquor licenses if they staged these events. The Palm Beach County Commission voted that same year to pass a local dwarf-tossing ordinance if the state legislature failed to act.

Ten years ago, Dave Flood, who was employed as "Dave the Dwarf" by a Tampa morning radio station, filed a federal lawsuit to challenge the state law that banned dwarf tossing.

But the suit was more of a publicity stunt than anything else for Flood, 37, who engaged in a variety of stunts imagined as humor by his bigger-sized radio co-workers.

"Why should there be a law against something because other people find it humiliating?" Flood told me after filing his lawsuit. "If you want to be tossed, and you're a dwarf, that should be up to you."

But Flood, despite his lawsuit, wasn't interested in having his own body hurled.

"I want to start a small agency, no pun intended, to hire other dwarfs," he said.

The judge ruled that the lawsuit was "without controversy" because Florida had passed the law, but took no actions to enforce it.

So Flood's lawsuit was, pun intended, tossed out of court.

Link

As this is a Red Diamond thread and a very serious subject, please post about the subject of dwarf tossing with all due dignity and seriousness.

What are your opinions about the dwarf tossing sport? Are you against dwarfs getting a chance at employment? Do you wish that you could get paid to wear a padded suit? Do we have any dwarfs in OT who might be able to speak more authoritatively on this issue? (This may be the one issue where Dachs is the opposite of an expert)

Personally of course, I'm in favor of any proposal that involves acrobatic dwarfs.

"the barbaric and dangerous barroom spectacle"... Good to see that the article writer doesn't presume to opinionate in a straight news article.

"the barbaric and dangerous barroom spectacle"... Good to see that the article writer doesn't presume to opinionate in a straight news article.
Worse yet, he writes the wrong opinion. Had I been writing: "an anti-choice, moralistic government that prohibits consenting adults from controlling their own bodies and finding gainful employment."

I think its hardly gainful. Seems dangerous, and preys on depressed, alcoholics. Florida doesn't need this to gain what, 20 (terrible) jobs?

It certainly seems degrading and very unsafe, but I don't like the idea of outlawing something for these reasons without more information. We don't outlaw strip clubs or the negative portrayal of minorities and we don't outlaw bull riding or skydiving, which seem at least as unsafe as this. As long as it remains voluntary and necessary precautions are taken to ensure its safety, I can't justify outlawing it.

To ensure it remains within legal bounds, perhaps they should require licenses to participate. Perhaps Florida should open a State Bureau of Dwarf Tossing to enforce all dwarf tossing related laws.

While the state perhaps should require heightened safety standards for those that stage such an event, they should not impose an outright ban.

I think a bit of recent Florida history is in order here. Our current Tea Party governor wants to repeal 1,000 state rules which are obsolete or are covered by other statutes, and this one in particular was slated to be kept due to the obvious inherent problems with revoking it.

Gov. Rick Scott on a mission to repeal 1,000 state rules

"Every dime a company spends on regulations is a dime they add to what you care about as a purchaser of a product or service," he said. "You hear the stories. Why do we have to do this? What's the benefit? The federal government already mandates it or the local governments should do this. Why does it take so long to get an answer and why is it so confusing?"

Take the dwarf-tossing rules.

In 1989, the Legislature passed a law banning dwarf-tossing after bars popularized a promotion that involved throwing dwarfs against a Velcro wall. Rules created to implement that law prohibit "any exploitative contest, promotion or other form of recreational activity which results in the endangerment of the health, safety or welfare of a dwarf on any premises licensed under the beverage law," but specify the law shouldn't be interpreted to "prohibit dwarfs from engaging in non-exploitative sporting or recreational events of the type engaged in by persons who are not dwarfs."

Those rules will stay.

But Scott wants to repeal a rule that defines dwarfism and another that authorizes the Division of Alcoholic Beverages and Tobacco to penalize bars that exploit dwarfs. The second rule already is covered in statute.

That's potentially two rules off the books — though it would be hard to argue they hinder the state's economic growth.
And this wacky legislator apparently read about this and decided that dwarf-tossing wasn't so bad after all...

And Scott also wants to throw the baby out with the bathwater in a number of cases:

Yet some recommendations have hit roadblocks.

The Department of Transportation recently began the process to repeal a rule regarding competitive bidding for consulting contracts. But the process has been halted, DOT spokesman Dick Kane said, pending further review.

And last week, the Florida Real Estate Commission agreed to repeal only one of the five rules related to its industry that Scott had targeted.

The commission agreed to nix a rule regulating recordkeeping but quickly rejected a suggestion to repeal a rule that gives the commission authority to fine real estate professionals and unlicensed practitioners.

"There's no way in God's green earth we're going to get rid of that. No. It's not going to happen," said Michael Gujo, vice chairman of the commission. The rule is critical, he said, for maintaining the integrity of the real estate industry.

"I'm a Republican. I love the governor, he's a good man. But I also have a duty to my commission and a duty to the public and a duty to be a good citizen," Gujo said. "Our job is to protect the people of Florida. Everything else takes a back seat."

Rep. Chris Dorworth, R-Lake Mary, who is chairman of the House Rulemaking and Regulation Subcommittee, said he's open to the idea of taking the decision away from agencies and boards like Gujo's.

"We're very desirous of seeing a comprehensive reduction of rules that negatively impact Florida's business climate," he said.

Not to mention how many bullseye velcro wall manufacturers.

Is it true that watching The Jersey Shore (or any other reality television shows that is similar to it) is somewhat the same as allowing dwarf tossing? You know? The very idea of both being somewhat an exploitative spectacle in which people either watch or partake in? Is the Howard Stern show banned in Florida?

It certainly seems degrading and very unsafe, but I don't like the idea of outlawing something for these reasons without more information. We don't outlaw strip clubs or the negative portrayal of minorities and we don't outlaw bull riding or skydiving, which seem at least as unsafe as this. As long as it remains voluntary and necessary precautions are taken to ensure its safety, I can't justify outlawing it.

To ensure it remains within legal bounds, perhaps they should require licenses to participate. Perhaps Florida should open a State Bureau of Dwarf Tossing to enforce all dwarf tossing related laws.

:lol:

I see no reason anyone should be forbidden to work in any career they want to work in.

So abortion doctor or prostitute are valid career paths?

I think if an unmarried woman chooses to work as a prostitute, she should be legally allowed to do so (A married woman has a duty to her husband, both not to commit adultery against him, and more importantly in the legal realm, not give him an STD, which prostitution is likely to do.)

The right to choose a career path doesn't include violating someone else's rights. Was being in the German SS a valid career path? Should it have been?

It's a pretty dumb issue. This is not a career option. I doubt many people are going to regularly require the services of a dwarf to toss. They might do it once or twice as a publicity stunt. The same way they have "but her face" contests, woman with the hottest body and ugliest face (I'd vote for Donatella Versace). I don't really care if it's legal or illegal.

I actually think fat people tossing would be a more challenging and worthy sport but potentially a lot more dangerous.

I see no reason anyone should be forbidden to work in any career they want to work in.

The right to choose a career path doesn't include violating someone else's rights.
So a dwarf shouldn't be able to work in the dwarf tossing business because it risks an injury serious enough to prohibit the dwarf from fulfilling the dwarf's marital conjugal duties, thus violating the rights of the dwarf's spouse?

Wasn't this originally from The Onion?

Is the "Red Diamond" an additional joke by the CFC admins?

So a dwarf shouldn't be able to work in the dwarf tossing business because it risks an injury serious enough to prohibit the dwarf from fulfilling the dwarf's marital conjugal duties, thus violating the rights of the dwarf's spouse?

Adultery is currently legal, as is divorce, so unless (Until) that changes, this isn't a worthy argument.

That said, doing something that leads to a high probability of giving your husband (Or wife) an STD should definitely be banned.

If a man chooses to marry a prostitute then he's knowingly taking that risk. I don't see how her getting paid for it changes the fact that much. If someone is having promiscuous sex and not taking money for it then it's the same danger.

Adultery is currently legal, as is divorce, so unless (Until) that changes, this isn't a worthy argument.
My argument wasn't about adultery or divorce - it was about the possibility of brain damage or paralysis that would cause the dwarf not to be able to meet his or her marital duties in the bedroom.

That said, doing something that leads to a high probability of giving your husband (Or wife) an STD should definitely be banned.
A spouse would have a private cause of action against you if you knowingly gave him or her a STD. Why add more government regulation than that?

Top Bottom