Earth 1914-1918 AD: WWI

Very interesting scenario. I love the way you've created scenarios of major time periods like the 1860s, WW2, and now WW1, on a world map- it's much better to get the full scale than just one continent, and to include colonies.

However, I have to agree with JEELEN on the historical inaccuracies. I started playing as Britain, and was confronted with ridiculously established Austro-Hungarian colonies just to the north, and even worse, a random Austrian island in the Bay of Bengal south of India, and Austrian control of northern Borneo!

To my knowledge, Austria never had any colonial aspirations; it's possible they had a few, but they certainly didn't have any in 1914. The fact is that they're not a very strong, nation, and needed to be propped up by Germany at every turn; making them a great power with the addition of unrealistic colonies doesn't seem to be the way to fix it.

One thing you could do is weaken the extra-European civs by adding some more rivals for them, like a Colombia or Peru to counter Brazil. If you're at the civ limit or don't want to make more civs for speed reasons, perhaps Canada and Australia could be made part of Britain instead of vassals? The vassal system works pretty well to show how they were Dominions, but the problem there is with warfare- with the AI controlling the vassals, there's no way for a human British player to keep Australia from gaining a random Ottoman city, for example.

Thanks very much for making what has the potential to be a great scenario, though; take my advice as constructive criticism only.

Yeah, there is a problem with Austria. The island near India represents the Austrian Nicobar islands and the Borneo represents another failed colonial attemt. The problem is, that they are very weak without those colonies I'll try to fix it in a more "historical" way.

What do you think of combining Germany with Austria as a single empire? (Austro-German Empire) it could solve the Greenland thing and will make room for another civ.

But not historically. Traffic across the Skagerrak dates from prehistoric times; the Germanic peoples originated here. (Just following up on your non-arguing.)

You might wanna check this thread: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=274385

I think its going to be hard within the limits of CIV to get an accurate world war scenario on a full earth map. I love the many full earth MODs that are out there right now (1862 being a good example!) but when focusing on certain historic event I think a regional map works best.

I'm a bit of a realism nut, so when you have to do the Greenland thing to create game balance it kind of ruins it for me. Also, I know its a "Best of WWI" mod but the Russian Revolution in 1914 is a turn off also. Tsarist Russian getting spanked for a few years on the eastern front was what precipitated the revolution.

What do you think of combining Germany with Austria as a single empire? (Austro-German Empire) it could solve the Greenland thing and will make room for another civ.

That might work.

Although I'd have to agree with cav scout - partially that is. The Russian revolution itself isn't a problem (considering your mod allergy), it's the October revolution. If the Germans hadn't funnelled Lenin to Leningrad, he might just have withered away harmlessly in Zürich. They purposely brought Lenin back to end the Eastern deadlock and force Russia out of the war. As it was, this occurred too late: the Americans had already entered the war... (Although actually the war was only ended by internal revolution in Germany itself - another thing which isn't quite feasible in a standard scenario.)

hi,

i started several games with this scen and i really like it, its very good balanced and i really enjoy that germany is strong in europe but not TOO strong. i also played as china and i was very pleased to see that i can get my native citys via cultural swaping back. very nice indeed.

but i have some points that really disturb me about it.

- intrastructure is to advanced, we talk about 1914 and all countrys have an almost perfect infrastucture. africa and asia is perfectly developed (except some roads instead of railways). this i really dont like it also puts africa in a too strong position (in reality the colonies brought no economical benefitt to any european nation and they never reached more then 2% of the economical power of the home nation).

- buildings in citys are too advanced as well, my german colonies in africa could produce almost as effective as my european citys.

- tech trade should be deactivated (this is my very personal opinion) it makes the game to fast, in 1918 we already have lasers because everybody trades arround like hell ;-) its also quiet stupid if you play an underdog nation like china ...

thats all, not may points actually ;-)

- tech trade should be deactivated (this is my very personal opinion) it makes the game to fast, in 1918 we already have lasers because everybody trades arround like hell ;-) its also quiet stupid if you play an underdog nation like china ...
I might do this.

I think these are also very valid points:

- intrastructure is to advanced, we talk about 1914 and all countrys have an almost perfect infrastucture. africa and asia is perfectly developed (except some roads instead of railways). this i really dont like it also puts africa in a too strong position (in reality the colonies brought no economical benefitt to any european nation and they never reached more then 2% of the economical power of the home nation).

- buildings in citys are too advanced as well, my german colonies in africa could produce almost as effective as my european citys.

Most of Africa and Inner Asia was (and to an extent still is today) unreachable by railroad. This also applies to Russia whose infrastructure even in 1941 was terrible compared to European standards.

I think these are also very valid points:

Most of Africa and Inner Asia was (and to an extent still is today) unreachable by railroad. This also applies to Russia whose infrastructure even in 1941 was terrible compared to European standards.

yes, thats basicly my point i also think that the infrastructure in some regions should be much less developed then it is right now

As I saw in one of you're threads that you didn't play the scenario, I don't know if you can have an opinion...

I don't play a lot of scenarios, but I check them all out and give criticism and praise where it's due. It's up to you to make use of that or ignore it. (And I don't like to play what-if scenarios, but...that's beside the point. I also don't expect you to play my scenarios, but if you raise a point, I'll look into it, 'cause - being human - I may have missed something.) I studied history and it's still a serious hobby of mine, so yeah, I care about realism and stuff.

Apart from that, I don't have a lot of time to play out scenarios or mods. Which brings me to my most basic point: if you want to do a WW I (or WW II) scenario, you're up to quite a challenge IMHO - not just because there are a lot of them out there (especially on WW II), but to produce a result that actually takes into account some of the essential events of those years.

If I, for instance, get criticized for making a boring scenario, I take that very personal - even if I get an A rating. If you care about what you create, you should too - and I'm sure you do. (Not that I think your WW I scenario is boring.)

Nuff said.:mischief:

As I saw in one of you're threads that you didn't play the scenario, I don't know if you can have an opinion...

i did ... and not only one time :lol:
i like your idea of using normal civ and no mods

as mentioned the infrastucture causes the problem of great development, for all nations i.e china can catch up with the big nations in several turns as theu just need to advance their citys a bit (all infrastructure is given) same with africa.

if you consider taking of the tech trade and reduce infrastucture a little it would slow down the speed and the big nations could have accurate "wars"

btw i also checked out the 1860 scnearioa, its very nice, also infrastructure looks more realistic then in WW1

anyhow, thanks for the nice scenarios i spend atm 100% of my civ time with them ;-)

if you consider taking of the tech trade and reduce infrastucture a little it would slow down the speed and the big nations could have accurate "wars"

Once again: a valid point.

btw i also checked out the 1860 scnearioa, its very nice, also infrastructure looks more realistic then in WW1

I'd have to disagree: India is totally undeveloped. Exactly the opposite is happening in Brazil which is completely developed, whereas the Mato Grosso even today constitutes the largest single jungle on the planet. (I can understand why you did it, but realistic it is not. But I realize it gets harder to give an accurate representation in civ terms the more one approches the present day, as the complexity of the situation tends to grow rather than diminish.)

Anyway, to curb my earlier criticism a bit: how a certain historical setting is represented is, in the end, up to the maker - and the civfans don't seem to disagree.;)

i did ... and not only one time :lol:
i like your idea of using normal civ and no mods

as mentioned the infrastucture causes the problem of great development, for all nations i.e china can catch up with the big nations in several turns as theu just need to advance their citys a bit (all infrastructure is given) same with africa.

anyhow, thanks for the nice scenarios i spend atm 100% of my civ time with them ;-)

I said that Jeelen have'nt played my scenario.

I said that Jeelen have'nt played my scenario.

Not this one no. (As a history buff I don't play What If? scenarios. That's why I only commented on the set up.) And you've gotten me curious about the next one, w/the Middle East map. Care to elaborate?

BTW, you didn't actually answer xxJFKxx (and he did play it).

I just don't have what to answer, I will try to implement the infastracture and the tech trading.

As I have more than 1000 downloads, I would like to see someone rate this scenario.

Top Bottom