Earth Map 362x325 Conquests (Feb. 2004)

I LOVE this map. Yes i know im bumping it but it deserves it. ive found that you can eliminate that long dowtime late in the game by putting all the civs on the eurasia/africa supercontinent, because one main reason the game slows down is that it checks all possible trade routes every turn. AS you progress through the ages, there are more and more viable trade routes through more and more cities, and it takes FOREVER to check them all. With this, theres no question about it, roads is really all you need, so it takes me maybe 30 seconds, if that, to wait in between turns, and im about mid industrial era. THis is why AOI and TCW (trademark to El Justo :) ) can get away with crazy fast wait times.

I've been intrigued by this map ever since I first saw it and desperately wanted to use it, but the bottom line is that it is just too damn big for the CivIII engine to handle. Trade & the fight over resources is a big part of my mod, so removing overseas trade to speed up turns isn't an option. Also, if you're only going to play on eurasia/africa, then you don't really need a map this big after all.

I guess the biggest problem I anticipate with this map is the 512 city limit. There's just too much space. I can make it so you can only build cities on grasslands, plains, floodplains, or hills, but the AI isn't going to clear forests or jungles in order to build cities - but a player will.

Really is a damn shame, because this is my favourite of all the maps out there.

gorn said:
Trade & the fight over resources is a big part of my mod, so removing overseas trade to speed up turns isn't an option.
Even reducing overseas trade can heavily speed up the game turns. I gave the ability of overseas trade only to international ports, that need the ancor resource in the city radius to be built. And this limitation is a big win for naval strategy too.

Attachments

• Map.jpg
    Map.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 1,242
Civinator said:
Even reducing overseas trade can heavily speed up the game turns. I gave the ability of overseas trade only to international harbours that need the ancor resource in the city radius to be built. And this limitation is a big win for naval strategy too.
Nice to see this in action :)

now thats a good idea, the whole anchor thing.

Oh, and i didnt plan the whole eurasia thing. It was more that, as a result of my playing as the English, I wanted the americas free of indiginous civilizations, so i at least have a chance against civs like Russia, who has an enormous advantage in this map. AS i got to about the Magentism area, i realized that the game ought to be taking a lot longer than it was, and identified said reason above as the culprit. Now, however, as more and more 'colonies' emerge in the Americas, the game is slowing down, but still not more than a minute between turns. Ive actaully come up to 4th place against the points leader, Russia, and now match her in land area, nearly in population, and exceed her in culture. Oh, and im ahead of Russia research-wise too, much more now thanks to a recent Theory of Evolution. I dont have any rubber tho, this makes me sad :(

Thanks for the comments. Some more hints to that screenshot: The green spot under Tripoli (and other cities) is no normal terrain. It´s "cityspot-terrain". So the location of cities are fixed to the place were they should be.
It´s marsh terrain set to transparency that couldn´t be cleared to grasland by worker jobs. The vulcanoes did get a much more useful task, too. And even the different hight of the city names (compare the hight of the Arab and Roman names) has a very special and useful meaning. But before I tell more about it, I must do a very time consuming test and I don´t know when I have the time for it.

@Civinator: Thanks for using my terrain. ;)

Where did you get the cities? I don't think I've seen them before...

Hi Ares de Borg,

your terrain is the best I could get for Civ3 (in my eyes) around the whole globe. :worship: The cities are converted Civ2-cities (made by BeBro) and converted by me. As these cities make a good figure in Civ3 too, we can imagine what incredible job Bebro did with his graphics, as the Civ 2 city-icons are much smaller than those for Civ 3.:clap: (for Bebro).

Top Bottom