Earth2000.OneBillion Se

s3d said:
Late medieval age turns are very long even with lite version.
Welcome to the world of 31 civs. It is still faster than most other earth-map, 31 civ affairs.
What are you're specs? I'd recommend 1.8 Ghz and 500k ram
(if its real bad, try the 8 player earthish2 map (I stopped updating the first earthish map, the second was better)

Hey, Im just finishing up a game as the Greeks which has been alot of fun. I was determined to reach the modern age early so I could have a decent modern age war (hit the modern age around 1980). I went a route different from what I usually do (tanks, artillery and navy) and decided to concentrate my military might into my air force. Of course I had lots of bombers and fighters, but the most fun came from using tons of paratroopers and from having a large number of helicopters dropping off my special forces and modern infantry. Needless to say i was pleasantly surprised when I was able to upgrade most of my troops to shock troopers.

As far as the Ai, the same usual civs were my main competitiors (rome, england and china). I was surprised to see France develop into the 2nd largest civ (besides me) by conquering all of Russia and most of germany during the middle/industrial ages.

Korea managed to form a nice empire by squeezing 4 cities onto mainland china and by having many island colonies.

Rome's legions had me in trouble during the late ancient age, but I managed to hold them off and actually gained a city or two during our first short lived war. Later in the middle age I had built a force large enough to fight a long drawn out war with them (40+ turns) and finally grabbed all of italy for myself. After that I concentrated on money and science, only going to war a couple times with Austria and Rome to acquire a couple nice production cities near my borders. Once I hit the modern ages I expanded my empire quickly, only calling for peace to quell the war weariness effecting my civilization.

My civ discovered Future Warfare with about 15 turns left in the game and Im actually still playing even though the official scoring game is over. My people yearn to be ruled by robots. :)

The only possible bug I encountered was concerning air defenses. My jet fighters/flak/mobile sams never once shot down an enemy aircraft. The ai's fighters were working fine (shot down quite a few of my bombers), but none of my jets, which were set to air superiority, ever even attempted to shoot down an enemy plane. Same goes for my mobile SAMs.

PS. Would you consider giving Celts/Japan woodworking as their starting tech? By the time they actually can build boats to meet other civs, they are so far behind in the tech race that they never are able to catch up. It also makes sense since they needed boats to settle their island civs in the 1st place.

Found a glitch Playing the English, once you reach medievil (spelling challenged)
it stays on the same city graphic type, so when you hit Industrial & then Modern Civ's you still have the same 14century towns (Avoided using word Medievil)

Havent played as anything but the english, so i cant say id the glitch rolls over to the other civs, kick ass mod other than that.

Just a couple things to fix (Civipedia wise that I noticed so far.. not big on a list but when you get to it)...
for the Great Wonder Holy War, when you click on Fanactics (as it builds 1 / 4 turns) you get "Invalid Entry".. I didn't realize it actually works if you go other way via units to find out what they do.... and the quingermeres<sp?> don't say they upgrade to any other unit, but they actually upgrade to Galleass

One last thing I noticed.. could be that in all my time playing C3C I never noticed this till I played your mod.. interesting atleast.. if you sail into someone else's cultural area you get that .. "Get Out.. Blah Blah Blah" thing.. but they never tell you the 2nd time till you put a unit inside their cultural zone.. so your free to roam around their area exploring to your hearts content...
-----------

Great Mod BTW... I am playing as Rome and its 1310... just going to the Americas for my first visit now....

Oh goody, feedback. From the top:

@Mr. Hosey:
Glad to hear things progressed so nicely. Your enterance into the Modern age is a little bit tardy. The tech progression in my game was slightly slow, too. See bold text below.
That is troubling news about your anti-aircraft not working. I recall seeing one of my jet fighters shooting down a bomber. Was the AI using stealth fighters/bombers? Were they bombing cities, or troops stationed outside of cities? I will test all the AA and Air superiority units and see what comes up.
Yes, that is a good point about island civs needing woodworking to secure early contacts. In my game as the Koreans, the first civ I established conteacts with was Japan: You can see their capitol from across the bay, if you explore the pennisula. I'm not sure at what point the Korean AI will do this, and Japan depends on them to make contact. I'll give it to them in the next patch. England seems to do okay meeting france and netherlands from across the chanel, so they're fine with warrior code (few civs has this tech to prevent archer rushes; isolated civs being the exception). The Celts could definately use another contact, but, they ceremonial burial gives them a shot and building the Newgrange wonder, so I'm tempted to leave them with that. I don't know if you noticed, but the AI (predictably) loves the wood working tech, so its often the first or second thing it researches anyway. But I'll keep an eye on them and determine if the lack of woodworking consistantly cripples the Celts.
"My people yearn to be ruled by robots." Heheheheh..

@EthanHunt: I haven't changed anything regarding era-specific city graphics, so that is strange. Sometimes, when I'm testing the mod in debug mode, I'll give myself all techs in a single turn and notice that while I'm in the modern age, my city graphics only change once, to the middle age-style city graphics. I think that's just because they can change only once per turn (as it's impossible to advance more than 1 age in a single turn). Were you in debug mode? And [I hate to ask but..] do you have the conquests1.22 patch? No one else has reported this..

@Baron: I've made a note of those civ-entry errors; will be updated next patch. (you can view the fanatic's entry, but not link to it from the holy war wonder, because the link is faulty (ie. typo), in case you were wondering)

Everybody, Thank you for the feedback!

Please consider the following:

I am thinking of reducing the Ancient age tech cost, or lowering the tech rate as a whole (making all techs cheaper). Either way, not by much, but just shaving off 1-2 turns research time per tech. For you guys that have played the mod enough, tell me what you think about the progression of techs vs. the date. I'd like to coincide the degree of technological advancement more or less to the year most civilitions' historical counter-parts discovered it. (Examples: Gunpowder-1300-1400's, Constuction 0-400 AD, Modern age-circa 1950). In my games I hit the Middle ages a few hundred years too late, on Napoleon difficulty. From there I think research progressed rapidly enough. So I think the problem is the ancient age techs cost too much (few librabries, no universities speed research). But I'd like to hear you guys' thoughts.
Also, has anyone had a problem wit AA units or fighters set to air superiority not working for the player?
Lastly, has anyone had any problems with the city graphics not "upgrading" past the middle age? Specifically the European culture group?

Since I don't have much time in a day to play games, my games are spread out over a long period of time.. but I swear I've never had an army let alone a winning won and I was able to build the Military Academy... O.o....

I went in and checked out the info in the editor, looks like you may have accidently removed the check mark beside "Requires Victorious Army"...
-----

The Tech Seemed to be coming very slowly in the AA (They were close to real life in learning thou..), but I started to catch up in the MA... pretty much just trading every tech for all my opponents cash (for libraries) and different techs... near beginning thou no matter what I did France was always 2 tech's ahead of me.. so I removed her from history.. but I needed the land anyways.....
----

1 last note I love your units... they look splendid.. and I am enjoying my game... I've always wanted a pirate type unit that could bombard... just for fun of blowing up enemies roadwork withour consequences<sp?>..... lol.. =D

I think the problem with the techs is that the ai doesnt research them fast enough. They seem to do fine up until the late middle ages, then I rarely am able to trade tech for tech. I usually have gotten to where I can research a tech in 4 turns right when I hit the industrial age, but by then the ai is 4 or 5 techs behind and the top civs seem to keep a steady research rate of 10-15 turns per tech.

The last game they were sending bomber at my cities. A couple of these cities had at least two jet fighters stationed and every city I had had at least one mobile sam.

One last thing I found is that bombers and tow infantry cannot be upgraded.

PS. I had fun switching to robocracy. The 1st attempt went bad since I did not prepare for the large amount of unhappy citizens that come from building the new improvements. I reloaded an earlier save and stationed vast amounts of "police" in my cities and made sure to keep the number of cities with these new improvements at a reasonable number. After getting the right infrastructure in place, I brought the pain to my top competitor, China. They had a large military of tanks and bombers, but they were no match for my robot army (not to mention the 16 icbms I dropped on them to "soften" them up a bit). One thing I did notice is that the great Foundry doesnt recognize research stations built by the Internet Wonder. I had to wait for my South America colonies to build some. I also think that maybe communal corruption would better suit this gov. It took me around 30 turns to get enough police units to all of my outer cities.

What are the news Bungus ? It's nearly completion ?

This weekend it will be comleted. I've had a lot to do at work and haven't had the chance to finish the changes or run any tests this week. But I see some free time on the horizon.

@Baron: I consciencously set the military acedemy to not require a victorious army. I can't remember the exact reason, but its just plain available at Military Tradition now. Oh yeah, that's so more AI civs can build it, as it provides them with automaticaly produced armies every 25 turns. (not sure if I edited the civ entry to reflect these changes).
And privateers only have defensive bombardment, they can't bombard terrain, sorry. That would cause chaos with coastal infrastructure.
Glad your having fun, and noticed the unit graphics. Oh god, I must have spent like 75% the time creating the mod adding or modifying unit graphics. I made sure virtually every unit was proportionately sized and properly offset to the pixel.

@cHosey: Regarding AI research rate: What difficulty was this on? On the middle to harder levels the AI actually gets a bonus to research. (Btw, in the next patch, the tech gap between AI civs will be reduced)
You seem to be saying you've double-checked that the AI's bombers are still un-shoot-down-able?
Checked the editor: Tow infantry upgrades to Gauss infantry (electromagnetism, req uranium), Bombers upgrade to advanced fighters (electromagnetism)
Oh, Robocracy, is there ever a greater gov't?
I actually threw that one in there without ever actually testing how it played, but from what you described it works more or less like I intended it to. The game is usually decided or over by the time Artificial Intelligence is researched, so I had no qualms with "winging it" when it came to that gov't. (Idealy, I wanted to add a Godzillarchy gov't as well, to counter balance robocracy and reward the player with some more sillyness for making it that far, but alas, no godzilla graphic exists). I can change corruption to communal, as long as it wouldn't be too overpowering a gov't. I want the God-fearing, freedom loving Democracies of the future to have a chance..
Oh, and the great foundry-research station thing must be inherit with all imrovements requiring a potentially Great Wonder added improvement. I guess imrovement adding GW's (like the Great Lighthouse) become obsolete before any possible conflicts (like commmercial docks not accepting the GL's harbors). Good observation.

By the way, anyone notice the industrial age music playing in the ancient age, or is that just on my computer?

I havent double checked the air superiority thing, I will on my current game.

As far as the bombers and tow infantry.. I had also checked in the editor and could not find any problems with their upgrade path. In my game I was building gauss and advanced fighters galore and still could not upgrade bombers and tow. I made sure the cities had airports and barracks.

In my current game I upped the difficulty one slot higher to napoleon and the ai is keeping up alot better in techs.

PS. I think the tet turkhan (sp?) mod has a T-rex unit. ;)

I'll take a closer look at the Tow and bomber upgrade issue. I'll assume you had the necessary aluminum and uranium for the upgrades; will test it out today.
Yeah, on Napoleon the AI always got ahead until the middle ages, when I'd close the gap and sometimes take the lead. There's not much I can do to control the amount of funding the AI gives to science, but I as long as I'm playing on a higher difficult I don't see a problem with the AI's advancement. On lower difficulties they don't build as many libraries and improvements.

The T-rex is actualy inclued in the PtW expansion, or available for download from Firaxis or Civ3's site. They have a whole bunch of dinos. Rex doesn't look quite right for what I want, but there is some interest in a godzilla scenario, and there are new unit graphics being created, so in time I'm sure somethng will come up..

I play on "Alexander" Level, but i found that is already enough difficult :mischief:

Columbus day is considered part of the "weekend" right? Because I didn't get time today to finalize the patch..

Lachlan: Yeah, I amped up the difficulties levels considerable, so don't feel bad, that's probably almost the equivalent to emperor. Also some civs are harder than others. The Mayans, for example, suck (no offense if anyone's Mayaish..). I played my first game on Alexander and lost in the early middle ages.

Strange Bug - (See previous post by me) Ive played the game as other civ's now and the city graphics roll over to each era ok, so its just the english that seem to have the problem. Im using the latest update also its not in debug mode. I may just reinstall CIV3 to see if it go's away. Just like to say again what a fantastic mod it is.

What are the news Bungus ?

Oh ! I have taken an specimen of Civ 4 US Bonus Edition at EbGames !
Can't wait for Civ 4 :)

Donno if its been mentioned before, just got to modern era, and I can research the new techs (like Electromagnetism) without researching the previous techs O.o.. maybe I don't have the most up to date patch or donno... just something I noticed...

edit***
Also Noticed, that the Iroquois didn't build a single road in my entire game... odd I say... O.o...

My computer was down while I upgraded a few things this week. With work and everything else, I didn't get the chance to make the changes I said I would. But I'm working on it now.

But no news is bad news, so here's some good news: Hopefully Sunday I'll have a new patch with several significant changes to the gameplay.

@Ethan Hunt: That's puzzling. The English are part of the European culture group of course, and no changes have been made to it. And any change would effect the culture group as a whole, so you would see Germans, Celts, France, Etc, with the same graphics. You've seen other European city graphics "roll over" into the next era too, right?

@Baron: Yeah, that modern/future era tech-thing was corrected some time ago in one of the patches.
Ever see an indian build a road? Me neither..
How'd the Iroquios do in you're game though? What tech were they up to when you met them?

Sorry can't remember exactly what they were at... but it wasn't very advanced, I think I was able to trade them Cultivation.... when I had galleous's... They also weren't trading with anyone, they didn't know the Aztecs.. as they never took out the barb places around them so they never expanded west of the mid-west, it wasn't till after I took out the bards (to ensure they wouldn't attack my city in Northern Florida I made for the Lux's)... after that they started to expand to the west and made a couple cities west of the rocky's...

I encountered a problem similar to shap.pcx for éthiopia and siam

for ethiopia it was "haps.pcx"
for siam "17shap.pcx"

Bump for news... Plz ... What's the news Bungus your is very very beautiful, the best ever in civ 3

Top Bottom