1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Earth2000.OneBillion Se

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Modpacks' started by Bungus, Sep 9, 2005.

1. knupp715

knupp715 Chieftain

Hate to be a "noob" so to say everyone. Im not really a noob at Civ 3 just a noob at downloading mod. I usually only play single new game or MP. Anyways to the point I wanted to download a patch/mod to play until I get Civ 4 in the mail. This looked like a great one (good job Bungus) but I dont really know what to do. If somebody could give me directions that would help me immensly. I'm not to good with this stuff. Sorry to be such a pain. Thanks

2. Bungus

Bungus Chieftain

Yes, the process is slightly more complicated than it should be at the moment. Ah, technical difficulties.
    You'll need 3 files:
    1.The bulk of the mod, download at http://www.3ddownloads.com/civfanatics/civ3/modpacks/Earth2000.OneBillionSe.zip
    2. The 9-16 patch, you'll find it towards the bottom of the first post.
    3. and the "Patch for the patch.zip" attached just below the Read This.
    Uzip the main part of the mod to you desktop, open the "Earth2000.OneBillion Se" folder, open the "Civilization 3" folder. Inside should be the "Conquests" folder. Cut this, and paste it into you ../Infrogames Interactive/Civilization III/ folder. Overwrite when prompted.
    Then unzip the two patches to your ../Civilization III/Conquests/Scenarios/ folder and overwrite when prompted.

There is one extra step. Go into ../Civilization III/Conquests/Scenarios/Earth2.Onebillion /Art and change the name of the "Leaderhead" folder to "Leaderheads". Without adding the "s", the game may occassionaly crash while displaying the victory or diplomatic advisor screen.

You start the mod by clicking on the "Civ-Content" at the Conquest's main menu. Earth 2000.OneBillion and Earth 2000.OneBillion lite (slightly faster on slow PC's) are the massive world map games. Earthish and Earthish2 are small 8 civ maps, for quicker games or multiplayer.

I will be re-uploading the entire mod tomorrow or Tuesday to avoid all this confusion. I will also make a few minor gameplay tweaks, so you may want to wait or just start a new game then.

3. knupp715

knupp715 Chieftain

Thank you very much Bungus. You've been a great help.

4. Bungus

Bungus Chieftain

And you've been not too much of a problem. Do share how your game goes or any thoughts about it.

5. s3d

s3d Chieftain

@ Bungus:

If I have two those patches ( 9_16 and PfP) do I have to download a new full version ? Or it will be combination of old and two patches ?

Started at the Alexander(3rd) level, lite map, Russia. So far so good. Turn time good for a while (600 BC now). Rome leading, Persia next, me third.

6. dc82

dc82 Chieftain

Started a new game with the new patches - this time I used all the civs included - so far so good, load times were better than previous versions.

Computer is expanding much better than in the previous game.

7. Bungus

Bungus Chieftain

The updated full version will just be a compilation of the patches and improvements to date. If you are currently patched up you won't need to redownload it.
    As the mod is played more thouroughly, I'm sure minor tweaks will be made in the interest of gameplay (Last night, for example, I moved 1 rice closer to India's starting location to make them a little bigger). From the point I re-upload the whole mod on, I'll just post the biq's and txt files in small, consecutively named patches, starting with 1.0, then 2, then to 3, so on and snow forth. Also, I'll include a log in all patches that lists the changes from previous versions.

Happy playing, and remember, the more details you give about your game experiences the better we'll be able to make the mod

8. dc82

dc82 Chieftain

Well replaying the game similiar to how I played the first game - one thing I noticed this time, even though it seems like I'm ahead in the tech race, I have yet to get a single scientific leader (in the previous game I had a handful of them).

The Romans have risen as one of the dominant civs in this game. Persians have also expanded pretty wide. More details to follow.

9. Bungus

Bungus Chieftain

scientific leaders are random as they ever were; you must have had a good run of luck last time.
    Yep, those Romans really make an empire for themselves in the ancient age, and refuse to let it fall like their historic counterparts. The same could be said for the persians it seems, although I would rather them not be such power. Perhaps I will weaken persia a little. The location they occupy in present day is rather unfavorable, after all.

10. dc82

dc82 Chieftain

Haha, a moment later, I received a scientific leader.

I mean, I don't think you necessarily need to weaken the Persians - they were a formidable force, esp. to the Greeks. Same with the Romans - they were a powerful force through a good chunk of history.

Game details, eh? Dunno what you meant, but here's some details in story format.

So early on, the Chinese expanded throughout eastern China, just churning out settlers as fast as possible. Tianjin, Qingdao, Shanghai, Fuzhou, Hong Kong, are all lined up against the eastern coast, while Nanjing, Chongqing, Xi'an, Guangdong established along the main rivers of China. Manchuria with quickly established with the cities of Shenyang, Harbin, and Vladivostok (thus containing the Koreans), along with southwest China (with Chengdu and Kunming) and India, south of the Ganges (including Calcutta, Chennai, Vishakhapatnam, Patna, and Gandhinagar).

Abroad, settlers were quickly dispatched through a perilous journey to America - full of sea monsters and other nautical dangers. But those who survived were able to populate the American West Coast. Along the Pacfic coast are the cities of San Francisco and Los Angeles, separated by the vast deserts of New Mexico and Arizona from the rest of the colonies. Unfortunately an expedition sent up to the Pacific Northwest were lost when Mt. St. Helen's erupted - perhaps another group will try their luck in the future. Land east of the Mississippi proved to be especially fertile, with cities such as New York, Boston, and Washington, DC blossoming. Chicago, Detroit also enjoyed good land around the Great Lakes. The American Southeast, stretching from St. Louis to Atlanta, Miami, and Texas (Dallas and Houston), was a bit harder to colonize, with native raids and forests (that needed to be cleared). In addition, the Sioux in the Midwest and Iroquois (up in the Canadian forests), also stood as a barrier against American colonization. However, due to their low tech. and little expansion, most of America was able to be established. The priority in North America is to setup infrastructure - connecting the two coasts, as well as expanding the territory grab, before the Aztecs and Native Americans can grab anything else.

As if knowing how the world was shaped (^_~)V, settlers and workers were sent down the Central American coast. Before the grand Panama Canal project (and Panama City) can be built, Chinese workers need to cut through the thin strip of forest separating the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans.

Another group of settlers moved along the Indian coast towards the Arabian peninsula. However, Roman ships stood at gate to the Red Sea. Unable to sail around, the Chinese settlers set off near modern day Aden and journeyed up the Arabian desert. Staying east of Mecca, the settlers soon requested permission to pass through Persian territory, which occupied as far west as modern-day Israel. Receiving a confirmation, the settlers crossed the Sinai and settled, creating the city of Port Said (after eliminating the barbarian camp). With the city established, the strategic Suez Canal was thus created, which will help eliminate the need to sail around Africa to reach Europe.

Right now, junks are still mapping out the African coast, with the interior sections still a grand mystery. Parts of Europe have been explored, revealing a very fragmented yet very developed continent. In the South Pacific, the city was Sydney was just established, with plans on the way to populate the rest of the eastern Australian coast.

That's it for now... we'll see what happens as the Chinese continue to expand throughout the world - will they continue uninterrupted, or will a competing civ stand in their way? Only time can tell!

11. Bungus

Bungus Chieftain

Jeez, I ask for some details, not your life-story!
    Coincindental, I started a game as the Koreans. My first war was with china: they tried to boxe me in by building in manchuria. Took me like 1500 years and 10 archers just so I could raze their damn city. They had like 12 warrioirs running around my countryside at any given point, pillaging everything. Only thing that kept me alive was bronze working. A start like this on (napoleon) probably means I won't be winning the game, but its fun being the underdog.
    Then again, its fun destroying everyone in your path.. (Tough to do with Korea).
    Nice post though, it was fun to read. With that huge an empire (I assume communism, right?), I'd expect some of the smaller civs to get together and dogpile you soon..

12. dc82

dc82 Chieftain

You're right...

The Panama Canal was completed allowing for ships to cross the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans with greater ease. For a while it was peaceful, as the American and East Asian territories continued to develop. Chinese ports even opened to outside trading - receiving exotic goods such as Roman wines.

However, while things seemed peaceful, a wave of violence began brewing in Europe. Pretty soon, war flared between the Ottomans and Germans, dragging in the rest of Europe through a web of alliances and treaties. Though China and its territories were far from the battle, a sudden sneak attack by the French through the Gobi Desert soon brought in the Asian-American superpower.

As the French attacked, the Greeks, Persians, and Spanish were formed a coalition against the Chinese - in the meantime, the Chinese convinced the Indians, Scandanavians, and Dutch to join the cause. The Chinese, having technology far superior to some of the European civs were able to repel attacks and even invade the European continent - Brest (in Brittany) and Paris were one of the first cities to be liberated (in fact, the locals didn't seem to mind the new rulers). Marseilles, Rome, Verona fell soonafter - with in fighting between the different European civs, it became rather easy for China to swoop in and liberate the divided continent. However, as the war came in, another series of alliances soon took the Chinese allies into enemies. By then, though, most of the European and Near Asian nations were weakened by centuries of fighting.

By the late 18th century, most of Europe, from Lisbon to Moscow fell under Chinese control. In fact, the Chinese nation was linked from Normandy, France, through Istanbul, the Mideast all the way to mainland China. Many of the former nations have fled into the forests and tundras of Siberia and Russia, setting up shadows of their once great empires. The Ottoman Turks, still powerful, benefiting from the buffer civs that took the brunt of the war, have turned to guerrila warfare in hopes of deterring the Chinese forces.

Despite the great advances made by the Chinese, the war came at a large cost too - parts of Siciliy once liberated by the Chinese were razed by Greek forces. Delhi, going back between Chinese and Persian control was reduced to a small town. Most of Eastern Europe is in shambles.

Of course now, with the large vacuum in Europe, it's open for other secondary civs to step in and take the stage...

So yeah, I got sucked into WWI in Europe and the Near East - was pretty fun to play - quite a challange to play, dealing with attacks on numerous fronts. At any moment I left a city with little protection, any given civ would come in and attack, raze, or plunder my cities.

A few notes on gameplay so far... I still hate the pollution - especially on such a large map, it distracts my workers from focusing on developing infrastructure. Oh, my biggest gripe though I think, is with bombardment - I've gotten accustomed to other mods that allow bombardment to kill other units - it's annoying to at most dwindle a unit down to 1 hit point. Perhaps modern naval units as well can receive larger movement points to more closely simulate real world travel.

Other than that, the game's still very fun - this time the game took me down a different route, but it was fun nonetheless. Heh, can't wait to see how things turn out.

13. Bungus

Bungus Chieftain

Chairman Meow would be pleased. My game as the Koareans didn't go nearly as well, I ended staying alive until 640 AD when China reduced me to a one city civilization (on the Korean pennisula, so at least they were respecting modern political boundries.) And I had to fight and weasel my way into keeping that. So, I'm starting a new game.

About your gameplay notes, dc82:
    Pollution: It's less than in the standard game, but I could still lower it more. I just don't want to take away big industry's only drawback. Deciding to build a factory or coal-plant should be based on the productivity of the city and whether a large enough supply of workers are available. I mean, in the late game pollution control is primarily the worker's only job, once railraods are in place. Doesn't the automate button relieve some of the micromanagement?
    Bombardment: Lethal land bombardment for artillery is a huge no! Aside from lack of realism (artillery is not used to completely annihilate armies down to the last man), it severely unbalances the game by making bombardment a too powerful, end all military strategy. Artillery barrages must be followed by a ground assault.
    Modern naval unit: Really the only reason industrial on naval vessals move don't move faster is because of the size of the Pacific Ocean. I didn't want japanese ships to be able to cross the pacific and bombard califonia all in one turn Pacific is 15 tiles wide at its narrowest point, just enough so that a destroyer (14 moves) would only make it to the coast of north america. But I could increase industrial or modern naval movement if its a real nuisance.
    And I have a question for you. How advanced were the native amreicans and zulus when you first discovered them? I noticed a bug, apparently hardcoded into the game, where governments with science-funding restrictions (stratocracy 50%, fuedalism 70%) reset to the maximum science amount. For example, in stratocracy my science funding automatically changed to 50% at the begining of every turn (it could be changed, the player would just have to adjust it every turn). But 50% to 70% is usually ideal, so its not a big deal, anyway. Unless, this also applies to the AI. Since stratocracy is often the first available government, the "crippled-Civs" (native americans, zulus) may research at 50%, instead of their usual prefence. This may result in these civs climbing out of the ancient age early than intended (its more fitting to meet the iroquios when they're still running about clubbing each other.) So from the games you've play, has this ever happened? what techs were they up too?

--------------------------------------------
    Update delayed until end of week:
    I've noticed a few small things, such as some civs (like Arabia) getting off to a bad start, as well as a few tiny gameplay issues (seasonal Hq requiring to many cities to be useful, Great library over-powered, etc) and I've decided rather than upload the mod tonight, I'm going to postpone it until the end of this week. Until then, any feedback of gameplay issues would be useful, such as any particular civ being too powerful (usually the result of a too-good starting location), or any irradic AI behavoir.

14. dc82

dc82 Chieftain

Before the continent is full of workers, I actually like micromanagine my workers - plus w/ so many civs, I hate it when workers start wandering on their own and become prey to random attacks from barbarians or other civs. I think at this point I'm just not a fan of pollution either - I mean, who's ever heard of a factory making New Jersey or Long Island uninhabitable? I rather deal with high upkeep costs to offset industrial development than having my civs distracted by random pollution popping up and eating away slowly at my pop. points.

In terms of bombardment - I guess the frustration comes in either trying to eliminate barbarians or especially random scrub units (really weak units the AI may still use). So as much as I want to use my stealth bombers against the random warrior or horseman (using an extreme case as illustration, although sometimes you will run into stone age units in modern times) - the most I can do is bring it down to one point - makes it seem like guerilla warfare I suppose.

With naval movement - it's hard reconciling a unit needing a full year to transport a unit across a body of water. Maybe more attack-oriented navel units can keep smaller unit numbers while transport vessels can travel larger distances.

In my last two games, the Native Americans (Sioux, Iroquois, Incans) were last in the tech race and were the least expansive. Same with the Zulu - however, I kinda enjoyed it, as it kept it more realistic - Europe, was advanced and expansive, like real-life as well. I actually have no qualms with how the computer used the different civs.

The Arabs seemed fine as well - they pretty much took over the Arabian peninsula by the time I ran into them - if it weren't for the Persians, Ottoman Turks, and Babylonians (all of which anachronistic with one another), they would have most likely dominanted the Middle East.

I think one thing needed is just a general clean up - some of the text is offset, so for example, in the Score/Power/Culture/Goals screen - everything is off and unaligned with one another. The week number also shows with the year. I can't think of other ones off the top of my head, but those are a few. The tech. tree can be cleaned up as well - again, smartest weapons can be researched before smarter weapons - do any of those techs serve purposes? Also, the arrows can be cleaned up (I know you had fun with those when designing).

Question - with the workers - for example, my Chinese workers in the modern age still look like the ancient workers - do they operate at the modern level, though?

That's all I can think up for now... getting kinda tired. I'll write more later.

15. s3d

s3d Chieftain

My observation so far (300 AD)

There is aproblem with switching from despotism to monarchy. If answer yes on the first prompt to swith I never exit from anarchy.

Carfage is not strong enough comparing to Rome ?
    May be it should have some starting boats and cheap galleys

Mongols too isolated and arn't expanding fast enough.
    May be they should have chariots from start.
    Historically they (and other nomads) were technological bridge between China and west.

Catapult with bomardment 2 is practically useless.

Anarchy too long, it's no fun.

What is the deal with knight and heavy cavalry ?
    Two of the three hevey cavalry untis available to no one in the lite version. Knight avalable only to England, Franse and Netherland. Is it intentional ?

16. Lachlan

Lachlan Great Builder of Civs !

@ Bungus : i have a very kind suggestion : what of air units same as they were in Civ 2 ? In Civ 2, planes could attack directly cities with very cut sounds of flying upon these cities ... Do you remember it :) ?
    If if, it feasible ! :mischief:

17. Bungus

Bungus Chieftain

Is this in the regular game? Despotism and Monarchy are two things that are thoroughly un-modded. Are you sure you didn't just get unlucky with an 8 turn anarchy? The only change is to anarchy, where I reduced the max research rate. I'll try restoring it to normal though.

Yeah, those Carfaginians suck. The Carthaginians on the other hand..
    Actually, my last game they did pretty well in the ancient age, they built they Great lighthouse and own most of the African west coast. Sometimes civs behave differently each game. For example, in your game if carthage didn't get into any wars, they wouldn't have a victorious numidian mercenary or war elephant, and their golden age wouln't have been triggered. Rome out-produces them in the long run, so if carthage was just hanging around in africa without fighting anyone, it would be eventually out-developed.

I agree. I beefed up the mongolian starting location a bit.

It can cause 2 damage. Doing the math, the catapult is superior against units with a low defense, while seige towers are much more powerful but can only cause 1 damage. Try using catapults against anything with less than 2 or 3 defense (including terrain bonuses). A spearman fortified on a hill in a city is definately a job for a Seige tower, while a swordsman marching across a plains is more vulnerable to a catapult.

Yes, same as in the standard game. Unfortunetly, this is very difficult to change, and would make the religous trait nearly useless. I could tinker with making Anarchy a slightly ****tier version of despotism. It would be great if the max anarchy time could be lower to about 4 turns, I don't really mind the anarchy as it is.

Yes. The knight is a unique unit available only to some European civs, like the camel warrior is to some middile eastern civs. The old Firafax knight graphics is now used as European heavy cavalry (seemed strange that to call a Persian medieval horseman a "knight") Knights were distinctly European, this is just one of many changes done to make the game less "Euro-centric".
    There are several flavor units that appear in the civlopedia that aren't availabel to anyone. If fact, beyond cilvilopedia picture and entry, they don't exist (their files aren't there). But I may add them later, in which cause all I have to do is add the folder and make one click in the editor. But yeah, they don't affect the game in any way.

@Lachlan: Actually, I never played civ 2, so I don't know how air units worked back then. Weren't they treated the same as ground units?

18. Lachlan

Lachlan Great Builder of Civs !

They were treated like air "ground unit" who could attack cities like a ground unit but don't invade them ...

Planes had only for mission of destroy units in cities ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Same for the ships ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I find that air and sea units are useless in Civ 3

19. Bungus

Bungus Chieftain

Ok, I update the "Patch for the patch" with new biqs. They contain some gameplay tweaks:
    -strengthened starting locations of the following civs:
    Mongols
    India
    Arabia
    Korea
    -Weakened starting locations of the following civs:
    Persia
    China
    -Anarchy max research rate restored to civ3 default (100%)
    -Chinese spearman now upgrades to warband, which upgrades to pikeman.
    -Number of cities required for army changed from 5 to 4.
    -Great Library culture reduced to 3, can no longer become a tourist atraction (books are boring!). This was way too powerful a wonder
    -Quinquereme (produced by Cothon wonder) transport capacity reduced from 2 to 1.
    -That's all I can think of, but there may have been a couple other minor things

20. Bungus

Bungus Chieftain

@ Lachlan: There's some problems with that model. If a city was surrounded by infantry, a bomber couldn't attack the city if it was a ground unit. And wouldn't the infantry be able to shoot down the attacking bomber (bombers fly at such altitudes to make this impossible).
    I think the problem with air units is civ 3 is that their bombard is weak. All air units have had their values adjusted in E2k. Have you reached the late industrial/ modern ages yet?
    Naval units have also been greatly improved. Their bombard values have been raised substantialy, so they posed a threat to coastal cities and units. Naval units have higher attack and defense values, so artillery isn't as effective at destroying navies (battleships in particular are real tough). Not to mention increased movement rates..