1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Earth_realsimV1-18 civ realistic and balance game play is the aim

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Pre-made Maps' started by niust, Dec 8, 2005.

1. fannarh

fannarh Chieftain

Well I´m currently playing this map and its great. I´m Rome and I saw has very early that I whould never be big by just creating seatlers. so I rushed up +2 citys. rushed to pretorians, and then it was just mass production. just barracks and pretorians until 1000 AC.

1 time I have played the game and my capital has no ancient wonder. around 1500 I owned western greece, balkans, spain, france and germany. underdeveloped country with 10% of its population in the army. (by the way I play epic) 1870. I own all europe, northern africa. russia west of Ural mt. midle east and india. + i am in good relations with americans after big conquest war with astec where i own now midle america south US. and have defence pact with malasia wich owns africa.

future tech 2 coming up. I play prince level. worst thing now is that the empire is so vast that it take hours just to play couple of turns. at the year 1600 I had played for 9 hours give or take. now i have played for 16 hours and its 1890. and its growing longer and longer.

Hey you invated germany to prevent spacerace with china. i´m doing it almost reversed:)

sugestion: make one map of this one where spacerace isn´t possible. It will force people to try and win with conquest and domination. thats always fun.
    And the problem with Rome and other badly placed civs is: they need to be humans and the need to be at constant war. In Europe you don´t get your "breething space" by asking nicely. strong military is rule nr 1.

English is my second language so this text is probably very badly writen.

thanx for this great map.

2. tbmes11

tbmes11 Chieftain

Hello,

I love this map. I have spent the last 2 months playing this map.

I edited some parts of the map and thought to share with you all.

Here are the changes I made to the map.

1. Moved Egypt settler a bit to the southwest and moved their resources to where the capital city can gain access to them. This allows a civilization to create a city where the suez canal is. A important trade route between Asia and Europe.
    2. More plains for the Arab
    3. Moved the settler for Spain back to the original start position where Madrid is. Added a extra piece of land near Barcelona's location so the CPU would build a city in that location more often.
    4. Moved some resouces and rivers around in Europe so CPU would build cities more closely to the real Europe.
    5. Moved some resources and rivers around in China so they would build cities more closely to the actual locations of Cities.

Hope you like it. :)

Attached Files:

3. Drogear

Drogear Prince

Really great map, I have been using this map for alla my civ games for a long time. With sevos mod its so f*** great!

My favorite start position is China (on emperor/marathon) which has the best start location and expansion roome.

But IMO chinas startposition is a bit missplaced, the optimal startin spot is 1 tilt to the east (giving a horse, weath and grassland, losing 3-4 desert tilts!).

By analysing the map its clear to me that the mapmaker original plan was to have china build there start city on the spot 1 tilt East. All the other ideal spots correspont to this one and makes the ultimate city plant pattern.

But the very spot is an Hill and by this Im losing 1 valuable turn by having to move there!

Suggestion: move the starting spot of the chinese one tilt east plz.

4. geebo

geebo Prince

I have been playing this map for a while now and i was wondering is there a way to have the new resources as in the Total Experience and GreenMod mods show up? Is there a certain way to implement them or something? thanks in advance...

5. boazman

boazman Chieftain

I really like the idea of having more barbarians on the map, so I have made my little modification to the original map.

Added: many more barbarians, in particular in Africa and around China. The number of units in each barbarian city is reduced to make it easier for human players. Civs no longer have a scout with them from the start, as I don't like civilizations get in touch with each other too early. Made some changes in North America too, hoping to make it impossible to cross the Atlantic with Galley (currently they can go the Greenland route), although it is still possible to reach Asia by Galley.

6. phatboi

phatboi Chieftain

This map is really awesome, but I guess I don't have enough RAM because it gets unbearably laggy towards later stages in the game, and even starts crashing a lot. Is there any way to remove civs in worldbuilder or something? I can't figure it out. When I load the scenario, all the options to close out players are disabled. Please let me know if there is a simple way to do this. Thanks.

7. JosefStalinator

JosefStalinator Я буду снова здесь

Great map, the balance and scale really provide for an excellent game.

8. Houman

Houman TR Team Leader

Boazman,

You named your modification as 1.3.2. Does it mean you have made your changes upon tbmes11's modification (two posts above you) or upon the original 1.3 ?

Thanks
    Houman

9. boazman

boazman Chieftain

Houman,

No I didn't based my modifications on tbmes11's version but elhoim's modification (page 4) instead. Thus it is called 1.3.2.

Let me explain some of the changes I have made here.
    The Galley thing, I changed the Labrador Sea (the sea between N.America and Greenland) from coast to ocean, so it should be impossible to cross with Galley. The Greenland route should no longer work, in theory (at least with human players, I'm not sure if AI can cheat on that).

Also, list of Barbarians added:

In East Asia:
    Goguryeo (Northern Korea)
    Manchus
    Yuet (Southern China, near Canton)
    Hmong (South East China, near Kunming)
    Tibetans

In Central Asia/Middle East:
    Gokturks (Kazakhstan)
    Kipchiks (Ertis River)
    Samarkand (it's intended to be Sogdiana, but Samarkand is much more famous, right?)
    Alans (Caucasus)
    Tatars (Volga River)
    Lydia (Turkish Coast)
    Assyria

In Africa:
    Nubian moved to where it should be, upper Nile
    Aksum (Ethopia)
    Bunyoro-Kitara (Lake Victoria)
    Great Zimbabwe
    Kongo
    Tingis (North Africa, Morocco)

In America:
    Guarani (S. America, Uruguay)
    Chickasaws (N. America)

I am not a history experts and most of my informations comes from wiki and the historical map in Perry-Castañeda Library Map Collection. So please tell me if any changes are needed.

I also rework some terrain features and fix some river problems, relocate the starting position of Chinese and Spanish.

Posted here is the lastest version as I found some gitches with the previous one.

Cheers,
    Boazman

N.B. English is not my first language so please forgive me for the poor and clumsy writing...

10. Houman

Houman TR Team Leader

Thank you Boazman,

It seems to have put a lot of work here. Thanks for updateing this map.
    Te reason why I asked is, that I am going to take this realism map and put in into the realism mod I am working on.

I like the real names you have chosen for "barbarian" cities.However I would prefer Sogdiana rather than Samarkhand. The latter came 1000 years later there. ;)

Anyway, one thing about the Greenland route. Why do you prevent this? Historically the vikings went through that route to NAmerica. Since this map serves realism, I would say this should still be possible, right?

Thanks for your work,
    Houman

11. boazman

boazman Chieftain

I am pretty sure there were some kind of contacts across the Atlantic in the pre-Columbus era; certainly the Vikings, and I have read of things like West Africa and even Egypt having contacts with South America too. At the same time, it is also widely agreed that despite all these early contacts America was relatively isolated before Columbus.

So we have two things here: the pre-Columbus contacts, and the isolation of America; and we have to decide which one should be implement in the game as they can't co-exist (in the game). I opted for the latter, partly because it is more significant historically speaking, and partly because I don't like seeing American Civilization making it to Europe in 1000BC in the game, which is not very realist.

12. Houman

Houman TR Team Leader

Thanks for the new map Boazman.

Yeah you could see it from both ways like you said. I have to test it throughly. BTW if I would like to edit the map, how do I do it best with WorldBuilder?

I guess I have to start a game with this map and pick the Egypts, becaus ethey are the first to start the game correct? Then I press CTRL + W and make the changes and save it correct?

Or is there an easier way to enter teh Worldbuilder?

Thanks
    Houman

13. boazman

boazman Chieftain

Yea I did it in the way as you described...
    Not sure if there are quicker ways though...:confused:

14. niust

niust Chieftain

HI, I am back ..stop for a while..... good jobs for map improvement... i cannot do it better.... people been working hard.... :).... I will put this latest version on the front page.. for people can dowload more... all to you guys cradits....I will check for any errors... and will post it as 1.4...... thanks all....this is your map.. every one... it will be a hard one to play ....

15. niust

niust Chieftain

the Update to 1.4 is Done, Enjoy !!!

16. geebo

geebo Prince

grazie... this is by far the most realistic world map so far and it is highly appreciated...

17. Cafegio

Cafegio Warlord

Just played on ver1.4 great map love the barbarian cities. The only problem is they evolve way to quick. The barbarians have most of the religions , longbowman in 1000 bc , and were building wonders. Now I would not care for myself but the AI was getting crushed. I had the most points as russia and the only reason for that was because I robbed all the barbarian cities around me right away. I think it needs a little tinkering

18. niust

niust Chieftain

I test 1.4 map 3 times....24 hrs maraton test.... one on emperor level but lead others civ by 2.5 time in term of points.... got industrialism in 1100....... so..... easy.... not bullfeathers:lol: I rush worrior and took most of babarian states.. and cripple next door CIV..... no challange...got most of wonde too so just give up.....

My cuurent game is more interesting... I make sure babarian got boost up a bit by give them 30 percent tech share chance ( edit globaldefine.xml) now...they kick asss...:goodjob: I play on Immortal level :king: this time...
    .there are 3 babar cities in the north ..2 with wall.. and 3 in the south 1 really big and strong.. babar.... I rush one guy... with worrior... take his first worker before he improve his city... and place 2-3 unit seige his capital... his is out... because he can build up and get rid of my units..:mischief: I then... spam out the colony cities..... have five total cities by 500bc....I am on the 3-5 position in points compare to others civ....then the problem start.... from the south of my empire ...the stakes of axeman, swordman and horseman.....like 10 units.. most of my spammed city is 2-3 size and got only worrior... SOOOOO... they all get destroy..... BURN baby BURN.....

with 3 with left and my 'real' army is up way north..4 swordman......fighting the norther babar.... ok.... so kinna piss off...:mad: I rush out several axeman for defense... send out the to fight in the battle field and horribly...most of them.... babar unit are so strong ...2-3 promotions each.....my is FOB..fresh of the boat....:lol:

but...that do save my civ....coz the babar army are weak... they did not stop to heal the battle damage... but keep push for my cities... the most southern city have on 1-2 units left.... I try to put more man out but it just not possible.... the city have stand alone and fight for itself.....:sad: BUT...the luck is on my side..... my norther army... manage to took 2 babar cities and left only 2 units ... I put them on hold to defence the new loot... the Babar army in the south... badly weaken from the battle try to take my souther city....... the only unit fight out to their last man.:eek: ...... when dust was clear.... the souther babar army was on more!!!!!... the the city survive..... :D

the next few century I stop building... just pump more units... create a huge army... of almost 15 units....with catepults........I simply drive all the babarain out to the sea:lol: ....they are more.... later I finally took out the norther Babar state.... and lunch and amphebious landing to my annoying eastern civ.... finish them off..... left them only on small city in the island...

By 800AD... I came out the second place.... france is number one... most advanced... and took out russian... even India....:lol:

I think it will be hard to fight france..... this time 4-5 civ got wipe out now.... 4 more civ just a minor state in the Eurasia continent........ the story will continue.....:cool:

19. niust

niust Chieftain

Yes... they are strong... you have to take them out quick....they are worst then other CIV... coz... they attck with out reason... they are BABARIAN... after all:lol: ....... ... too hard them adjust the Babarian level... at GlobalDefine.xml in CIV folder or... MOD.. if you got one.. search for it and edit tech share... or fight babarian bonus:goodjob:

20. Tommy1234567890

Tommy1234567890 Warlord

i like it because it is more realistic bettert than one turn