1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Economy Mod

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Modpacks' started by Valkrionn, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Babri

Babri Emperor

Is Economy mod compatible with 'City-State Diplomacy Mod' ?

2. os84

os84 Chieftain

civ 5 truly sucks without the mod. so unbalanced!

3. Slowpoke

Slowpoke The Mad Modder

btw, if you're waiting on economy mod to get fix, try my temporary fix mod. It's got most of the essentials of various big mods, like this one, MM, and BC

4. Sivistys

Sivistys Chieftain

After quick testing (less than 50 turns) the mod seems to work ok with Kaltoraks changes

5. themartianist

themartianist Chieftain

I'm guessing this is in reference to the unit command menu disappearing? I've been having this problem as well. I have the latest update and tried the suggestion on post 493 (I did my homework). I guess i'll just wait for the next update of this mod and see if it works then.

Until then, some random economic ideas which I'm not sure could ever be modded, but might be fun. Does anyone think its possible to create the option to choose a currency in the game rather than the default being gold? To me it doesn't make a lot of sense to be trading in gold if the civs with whom you are trading have no access to it. I think it would be cool to have competing currencies, but I imagine that concept would be a modding nightmare.

Also I wonder if its possible to include delayed effects of certain social policies. Like for instance if there was an option for fiat currency. There's an initial benefit of being able to buy pretty much anything you want, but you run the risk of hyper inflation. Like say it provides a huge initial boost in income, but after a set amount of turns, the cost of everything goes up and maybe unhappiness increases. Other things could work this way too like having options to nationalize various aspects of economic activity, which could initially provide a huge boost, but deteriorate overtime potentially resulting in disaster.

Generally speaking i'm really surprised how stable governments are in this game and I think some of the real risks should be more apparent. Perhaps implementing things like this would be too complicated? Any thoughts?

6. Sivistys

Sivistys Chieftain

After a bit longer testing: Civ has crashed twice today, something never previously happened (lucky me, I know :) ). Both times the crash happened while moving a unit. Might be totally unrelated of course...

7. kaltorak

kaltorak Emperor

This happened to me too, also when moving a unit. But I switched to dx9 and never happened again.

8. Palance

Palance Warlord

Same thing here. Zero crashes prepatch, many many post-patch. It always occurs during movement (either mine or the AIs).

Using DX9 both pre and post patch.

9. heinous_hat

heinous_hat Prince

Thanks for confirming this, I've got it too (DX11). Has anyone seen this without mods? My setup is minimal: SQL from Economy for tech and production cost along with buildings and resource XML. Also Atilla's updated UI mod and Improved Demographics.

10. sirroman

sirroman Chieftain

Man, in real life trying to predict economy is really hard. Yeah, we can simulate currency, inflation and all that, but in a game it would be a nightmare and not satisfactory. For instance, the effect of hiperinflation would be much greater and catastrophic than a mere "the cost of everything goes up", it would influence commerce and production of all goods in some way or other.

Nationalization would be easier to implement. But it would be much better to do it if we had "civics" like Civ4 and we would need a much more complex economy system for it to really work like it "should" (there isn't something like that in economy xD). I never even saw some international commerce in Civ5. =/

IMO:

For instance, on everything except free-market, when nationalizing you receive a happiness bonus but the maintenance costs increases and stay high, while the production bonus decreases overtime. You should be able to nationalize only factories and such.

On free-market, nationalizing gives mild happiness to mild unhappiness, depending on your other civics (democracy=unhappiness, monarchy = happiness, and so on) and increase maintenance costs, but the production bonus only reduces on civics like monarchy, while it's maintained on civics like democracy (competition and meritocracy inside the company). Also on free-market, you have a better influence on the economy, so possibly inflation would be lower overtime.

Talking about inflation, we could have some tweaks like: when you buy a building, you increase inflation. When inflation increases, productivity instantly increases for a set time, but the higher the inflation, the less taxes you receive (in the sense of 100$ received on taxes aren't 100$ anymore) or your treasury may be "corrected" (you lose money in treasury, yeah, money that is just sitting there loses valor =/). When inflation raises to a set % you start to lose productivity, which increases inflation. Then all hell breaks loose.

Some possibility is to let one player invest on another player territory (increases his productivity, possibly increases inflation), even financing him (I give you 1000 and you pay me 1010 in 30 turns). This would let you lose less treasury money on inflation while not causing it in your country, you would even receive some money with time.

But then, it would open a whole lot of diplomacy problems: if you invest a little on some country and war between you two happens, you lose that money and investments (nationalization? lol). If you invest a LOT on one country, you can destroy their economy (if the risk of dragging yours along if you two have a lot of commerce between you two).

What would be interesting is giving the option of implementing an "economy/fiscal plan" with which you reduces inflation at the cost of productivity and commerce (exports) in a slightly random time.

If we add currency, then the effects of inflation on one country would have to influence others in some way or other (commerce and investments between two free-market countries).

*Whew*...

By then the game would be waaaaay complex. Or maybe I'm trying to be too much realistic? :D

11. vp21ct

vp21ct Chieftain

New here, and didn't want to read through 30+ pages, but I've been having a huge bug that I feel the need to point out. This mod seems to be removing my comand menu for my units. I cannot order them using my mouse, I have to do it with my keyboard. Understandably, this is a problem.

12. kaltorak

kaltorak Emperor

It is because the game has been patched recently and there is no new version of this mod after that patch.

13. Casta

Casta Chieftain

I tried to use the mod in the way kaltorak suggested, but I have now crashed 5 times in about 200 turns under what seemed like random conditions, it was however always when the AI took their turns.

Played a full game with no mods post patch and didn't crash a single time.

I didn't expect otherwise because the mod was obviously not made for this patch, looking forward to an update :)

14. Valkrionn

Valkrionn The Hamster King

I will be updating it soon. Some mod updates that I'm waiting for first.

15. Trivas

Trivas Chieftain

I deeply apologize if this has been mentioned somewhere, but I have spent about four hours poking around looking for the answer (and the answers to other questions). How/where do you apply this line to cut/increase costs of things like research, unit costs, building costs, and even something like worker improvement times? Is it in the SQL database (I do have SQLite Manager as recommended by Kael in his superb tutorial) or is it in an XML file? And, how would you insert it or where would you add it? I have very little experience with XML and virtually none with SQL.

Plus, if you ask, by updating the database's SQL, would that affect all games loaded up present and future or just a particular one?

16. kaltorak

kaltorak Emperor

nice, great news :) thanks for the effort

17. ossmobilus

ossmobilus Chieftain

Brilliant mod! Thank you :)

...Although, I miss parts of the UI concerning the active unit. I don't know if that's part of the mod or not, but now I don't know what to do about unit upgrades, because I don't know what's offered or what the hotkeys are... So basicaly I'm stuck... :(

Can't go back to vanilla after a taste of your mod though =P

18. Valkrionn

Valkrionn The Hamster King

You apply it in the same method as an xml file; In my mod files, it is in Economy Mod/SQL. One file each for techs, buildings, and units, serve as fairly good examples.

The database is reloaded out of the xml each time the game starts, so no worries there either.

:goodjob:

Well, that's because it's not updated for the new patch yet. Will be as soon as a few things I'm waiting on happen. :goodjob:

19. Abraxis

Abraxis Emperor

Just one... more.... update :twitch:

20. inort123

inort123 Chieftain

Why the mod inst working with the new update?