Effenciently get a listing of religious buildings in your civ and temple requirements to make more

UltraMind

Chieftain
As can be seen from https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/why-cant-i-build-some-cathedrals.640507/, gauging where you are at in terms of how many temples you have/are required to build cathedrals and monasteries is rather vague and unreliable. What I need is the ability to see:
  1. How many temples I've built to each religion
  2. How many temples I can yet build
  3. How many cathedrals and monasteries I can build based on 1.
I frequently find myself reluctant to build cathedrals and monasteries in the interior as doing so threatens to starve my border cities from the ability to build them. This probably leads to some serious missed opportunities in terms of cultural buildings I could have had. When I am able to build one, I'd like to be able to easily know if I can afford to build one.

1. Info Screen -> Statistics has a list of how many of each building you've build. I'm not sure if it keeps track of buildings you've captured from cites you conquered, and whether it counts buildings you've had to re-build because of either spy shenanigans or having to recapture a city, but barring a Cathedral telling you that you've only build X of Y needed temples I think it's the most accurate source of information the game will give you.
2. The maximum amount of Temples you could build for a given religion is simply the amount of cities you've got, since you can build a maximum of 1 given religion's Temple in each city. If the Info Screen is accurate, you could simply do Current Cities - Build Temples for how many you can still build.
3. For Cathedrals, that depends on map size, since larger maps will require more temples per cathedral than smaller maps. As for Monasteries, they're like Temples, max of 1 per religion present in a city. At least up until you tech Scientific Method, which obsoletes them.

The city info screen supplies the info you need, as Acametis alluded to. (F1 ---> "Religious Buildings" ). Screen does not tabulate this info, but not hard to do the math. Not sure how exactly BUG mod affects these screens, as I've been using BUG for so long that I don't recall what the vanilla advisor screens look like.

Not sure what you mean by "afford to build one".

I will say this though - in terms of optimal gameplay in Civ IV, Cathedrals are quite worthless unless you are going for a culture victory, which maybe you are doing here.

There is no limit to building monasteries, so I not sure what you are alluding to here. You can build 1 temple and 1 monastery for each religion present in all your cites. It's the Cathedral type buildings that are limited.

Standard speed/Standard map size requires 3 temples for each Cathedral type building. This fluctuates on map size (I guess game speed is irrelevant..not sure)

I was actually talking about the F9 Info Screen, but looking at the Domestic Advisor a bit more closely apparently the Bug mods does indeed adds something to it? No clue how it works since I've never used that particular aspect of Bug mod, personally.

Ah..the F9 Statistics screen...I see. You know, I've never really used that much before at all. It does sum up the buildings empire wide, include temples by religion. That can come in handy sometimes.

Cathedrals, one would have to kinda track on one's own. However, say if Standard map, knowing three temples are needed for each, you just check the total # of temples for that religion on the F9 - Statistic screen and use multiples of three / # of Cathedrals. So if you show 2 Christian Cathedrals built and see 11 Christian temples, you know you need to build 1 more temple to open up a new Cathedral.

Useful for National Wonder requisites as well.

So F9 shows empire-wide totals, and F1 will show you exactly which cites have the buildings in question. From the F1 screen you can even go directly to a city that does not have one to start building what you need.

What I need is the ability to see:
  1. How many temples I've built to each religion
  2. How many temples I can yet build
  3. How many cathedrals and monasteries I can build based on 1.
I frequently find myself reluctant to build cathedrals and monasteries in the interior as doing so threatens to starve my border cities from the ability to build them. This probably leads to some serious missed opportunities in terms of cultural buildings I could have had. When I am able to build one, I'd like to be able to easily know if I can afford to build one.

I think you're complicating this a bit, it's not nearly as complex.
You have all the information you need on the religion screen:
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/religion-advisor-columns.539139/

and even more information in the F1 panel.

If you are serious in playing Civ4, you should install at least BUG and BULL mods at very minimum. The info they provide is invaluable.

If you are using BUG (highly recommended), you can choose one of several screens to look at using the Domestic Advisor. You can look at all of them but only one at a time and switch among them easily. You can also enter a mode of any of those screens where you can add any of many things to show on the screen, remove ones you don't want, and sort the order they appear in. You can use this to add whichever religion's buildings you want, all of them if that is your choice. That mode is one of the icons at the bottom of the screen.

However, for temples, monasteries, cathedrals, etc, just enter the religion screen. The cities are all listed. The ones that can build something show a circle in that column, an 'x' if it is already built, and another symbol which I don't recall offhand but perhaps a hammer if it is under construction. A dash is shown if the building can't be built in that city, which means the city lacks the religion or in the case of cathedrals that you don't have enough temples at the moment. To switch among which religion is displayed for the buildings columns, click on the religion of choice at the top of the screen. Just remember to click cancel when you are done or you will switch to that religion.

I will say this though - in terms of optimal gameplay in Civ IV, Cathedrals are quite worthless unless you are going for a culture victory, which maybe you are doing here.
Not exactly. I don't know how others do this, but border cities need as much culture as they can get. When I take over another civ's city, they tend to be at a huge cultural disadvantage when bordering other civs' cities which are already highly developed. I need these cultural building as a buffer against them.

There is no limit to building monasteries, so I not sure what you are alluding to here. You can build 1 temple and 1 monastery for each religion present in all your cites. It's the Cathedral type buildings that are limited.
Really? In that case, maybe the reason I can't is that I've discovered Scientific Method :think:
So, once I've discovered SM, then all the monasteries I've built are all I'm every going to have? And if I'm not working the Organized Religion civic, I'm not going to be able to build any missionaries in cities that don't already have the monasteries, so I won't be able to propagate religion? That puts me in a difficult situation, because the way I play, I tend to be a bit late to do the missionary work. If I want to propagate a religion at this stage (which would be purely for cultural reasons) is there a better way than switching to OR?

If you are serious in playing Civ4, you should install at least BUG and BULL mods at very minimum. The info they provide is invaluable.
Ok, BUG... but from what I can see that's for BTS, which I don't think I have, but it's "build version 174" and "Civ version 1.7.4.0.

Not exactly. I don't know how others do this, but border cities need as much culture as they can get. When I take over another civ's city, they tend to be at a huge cultural disadvantage when bordering other civs' cities which are already highly developed. I need these cultural building as a buffer against them.

I handle border issues very simply...I kill them or vassal them. Fighting for culture is "passive" play..just saying.

Really? In that case, maybe the reason I can't is that I've discovered Scientific Method :think:
So, once I've discovered SM, then all the monasteries I've built are all I'm every going to have? And if I'm not working the Organized Religion civic, I'm not going to be able to build any missionaries in cities that don't already have the monasteries, so I won't be able to propagate religion? That puts me in a difficult situation, because the way I play, I tend to be a bit late to do the missionary work. If I want to propagate a religion at this stage (which would be purely for cultural reasons) is there a better way than switching to OR?

SM disables the monastery bonuses (science and mishes) and ability to build new ones - existing monasteries and their culture bonus remain though. OR would be your only way to spread religion yourself. If religion is important to your game, and religious civics like OR are powerful, then you should spread the adopted religion as soon as you can. AIs will often spread much of their religion. OR and Pacifism are really THE religious civics to run anyway, but usually I just stay in OR much of the game unless I opt for Free Religion later. (Note: In BTS, Golden Ages boost great person production 100% like Pacifism and this is usually when I run Pacifism to really pump out great folks fast)

Also, note that in BTS the Apostolic Palace feature is added, when gives +2:hammers: for AP religious buildings. So I tend to spread the AP religion whether I adopt that or not, also to be more of a factor in AP voting. (there is a new AP diplo victory as well or essentially a religious diplo victory)

BTS is THE definitive version of Civ IV, and I highly recommend you acquire a copy asap. IV Complete version often goes on sale on sites like Steam or GOG.com for around 7 bucks. Lot's of improvements over the prior versions including many addtions, but also better culture mechanics earlier (monuments expire at Astro, not Calendar), and war weariness has been toned down considerably as it was pretty ridiculous in vanilla.

BUG + BULL mod significantly improves the UI and info screens. (Note: If you can to play vanilla Civ for now, I recommend installing the HOF mod for vanilla. You can go into the option screens and select some of the checkboxes to add improved advisor screens, which are just plain terrible in vanilla). You can find it here - just select the link at the top "Civ IV Download":

http://hof.civfanatics.net/civ4/mod.php

Regardless, BTS is the way to go. Plus, once you get it you can participate in many things over in the Strategy & Tips forum to really learn how to play the game, as well enjoy Game of the Months and HOF games (see my sig). Lots of fun to be had with this game, and lots to learn.

I'm pretty sure you can continue to build missionaries in cities that build a monastery before they were obsoleted. The science modifier and AP hammers (if any) do get wiped, though, as do UoS beakers and SM gold if you've build either of those wonders.

I handle border issues very simply...I kill them or vassal them. Fighting for culture is "passive" play..just saying.
The problem w/that is, war in Civ is too realistic: looooooong periods of tedium w/short bursts of excitement and danger.
Vassal, eh? Is that a BTS thing, because I haven't seen it yet.

BTS is THE definitive version of Civ IV, and I highly recommend you acquire a copy asap. IV Complete version often goes on sale on sites like Steam or GOG.com for around 7 bucks. Lot's of improvements over the prior versions including many addtions, but also better culture mechanics earlier (monuments expire at Astro, not Calendar), and war weariness has been toned down considerably as it was pretty ridiculous in vanilla.

GOG turned up empty, but I found "Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword" on Steam for 10.99CAD. Is that what you're thinking? I hope I can get it to run in Wine, because I'm running Linux.

Last edited:
Vassals aren't a vanilla Civ IV thing, not sure if it was added in BtS or Warlords though.

Hmm...GOG's Civ IV compilation doesn't support Linux apparently. Steam doesn't have an all-in-one package, but it does have Warlords and BtS separately. I'm not sure if they'll work if you're not running the base game through Steam as well, though. But if you are, than yes, the Beyond the Sword expansion is the one you'll want (maybe the Warlords expansion as well, maybe not, I'm not sure).

Ah yes, vassals in BTS (introduced in Warlords). We all think BTS here , so it is habit.

Not sure on Linux stuff, but apparently some folks run it on that OS, but non Windows can have some problems with Mods.

Stteam’s versions are standalone, i.e., you don”t have to have vanilla to run BTS.

GOG definitely has CIV IV Complete Edition. I don’t know if Linux/Wine is something they state outright or something, for an older game, you just make work somehow.

Wine is a windows simulator, no? So not sure Linux support directly is required.

Oh ...as for war, that is your experience so far, but once ypu really learn how to play this game you will learn how to manage things better.

Ugh! Seems I can't buy BtS if I don't already own the Steam version of the vanilla. Damned if I'm going to pay for it twice!
Gog doesn't seem to have it. Any others?

On GOG, look for "Sid Meier's Civilization IV®: The Complete Edition". The page says it's Windows only, but on a linked forum discussion there's a topic about running Civ IV on Linux. No clue if it's actually what you need/helps, but it's there.

Ugh! Seems I can't buy BtS if I don't already own the Steam version of the vanilla. Damned if I'm going to pay for it twice!
Gog doesn't seem to have it. Any others?

That should not be the case. Steam does sell a "Complete Edition" which is essentially all the versions stand-alone -different from like GOG or disk version, or others. But you can buy each version separately and run them separately. Standalone BTS is 9.99 on Steam. If I can buy, you can buy it. I own it all on Steam.

Yep Complete Edition runs for like 7.99 on sale pretty much everywhere, but there has to be a sale. You just missed the Winter Sales on both Steam and GOG.

You can also do a google search on Civ IV Complete to see if any other vendors have it on sale right now.

edit: probably a bad time for sales since most vendors just ended their winter sales, but IV goes on sale ever so often on its own.

Shouldn't but is:

Ok, I've put vanilla, BtS, Colonization and Warlords on the wishlist, so hopefully I'll know when whatever I need goes on sale.

Ah..I thought you had Civ IV on Steam. I misunderstood. (Steam versions will not work with any other vendors versions or the disks) Odd that it requires it since BTS (and Warlords) can run completely standalone. The vanilla assets files are installed with those versions. I think it is just a holdover from the old days when you did have to have vanilla installed to run the expansions, but they never really fixed it, or just simply as it is an "old timey" expansion pack one is required to buy the base game. Most folks just by the Complete Edition these days. Complete gives you Colonization as well, if you ever want to try it.

Top Bottom