eldar04 - Every Winner Loses

:wavey: Skip me up to Tues 26th, then I'll be back and report for duties :salute:

I was assuming that eldar was playing since his wife is MIA with the in-laws. I'll be at my parents until Sunday evening starting tomorrow afternoon and won't have civ but will have internet access. So keep those screenies coming.

eldar 04 SW 1750bc-1500bc

preturn NADA
1-Seoul settler > warrior. Magellan rests his weary bones. we spot tusks NE of Rykavik. i see AC's coming our way soon.
2-move and rest
3-Seoul warrior > warrior. lower lux to 20.
4- writing is in. start philo in 30 :cry: 50%. Pingpong granary > settler, Magellan moves to get that booty.
5-Seoul warrior > settler, Wonsan built near wines > warrior, checking deals i find that Isabella is the only one without Writing, while they are ALL up about 6 techs.
Magellan promotes gaining us much needed cash.
Issa wants 20g, 2gpt and Writing for Mas and WC. i :cry: and count it out as i believe we need archers and MAS. we will keep pumping the settlers for cash.
5-i guess the people like being poor, as the donated a lawn. Issa wants a big, blond guy next to her, but cant get any. she starts building a prototype guy.
lux up to 30 to avoid riots. now -3gpt.
6-our heroic curraghs complete the tour and meet off the chinese town Nanking. they are dubbed THE NANTWINS.
Pingpong settler > settler, running VERY low on cash.
9-missed some loging but all is in, just no dates attached.
Seoul settler > archer, Wonsan warrior > worker,
had to lower sci to 10 so we wont lose money.
settler heads west. Magellan is at a choke to block spanish theft of our incense. if were lucky we can also land teh furs down there.

sci at 10% and just ONE coin in the box. we are desperate for cash.
also note the huge amout of traffic to our east.

:confused:

Well, at least we've got this thing rolling again. I think that the learned book dealer once said to research max or not at all. dropping pennies in the science bucket just doesn't cut it. Maybe we're too behind to compete well. But we're supposed to lose anyway right. All we need is some luck somewhere somehow. Thanks for getting things rolling again SW.

eldar <- kicking GOTM42 butt.
Tubby_Rower <- in SC or would play. NO civ just internet
soul_warrior <- just cried like a sissy over tech situation ;)
Hirachi Divano <- up now
Beorn-eL-Feared <- out of town til 26th
Cuivienen <- still grounded and skipped next time around dropped?

Thanks for rolling the ball :) Yeah, research at Max is better than 10% research, even if it doesn't seem that way. You're still dumping more coins in the coffer, for when you get the cashflow going.

With all those rivers, we should be okay... it's just things are looking cramped. A war with Izzie may be brewing.

If they get mapmaking anytime soon, they'll settle the furs, so I think we have a better shot at racing the incense if we don't go directly for the furs with one of the setlers we've got now.

Then, Izzie has incenses, only Ragnar would go for the incense west, and we would have a shot at them, too. I'd go for that because the terrain is crappy around incense anyways.

:bump: :whipped:

Roster:
eldar <- up.
Tubby_Rower <- :gripe:
soul_warrior <- starting up in SW5
Hirachi Divano <- in the same boat as Cuivienen
Beorn-eL-Feared <- out of town til 26th
Cuivienen <- still grounded and skipped next time around dropped?

Figured I ought to play this... *cough*

Idiot-stylee:
Early: Eek! (see below)

Middle: decided we, er, didn't need the Barracks in Seoul.

Late: We have more cities! Hurrah!

Okay, the heart-in-mouth moment:

What happened next?!

Spoiler :

Phew! Thank you heroic Spanish (or was it Chinese? colours are too similar for my eyes!) Warrior!

More's the point, here we are in 1250BC:

The Settler could finish in 1, but switch to the Forest next turn to time it with growth to size 6.

I have the Incense area locked down, but if Lizzie gets Map Making soon (and she probably will), I doubt we'll secure the Furs.

Other than that... Settlers from PingPong (should be able to do Warrior/Settler from sizes 4-6 soon enough). Archers from Seoul, with the odd [edit]Worker[/edit] before it hits 6.

Neil. :cool:

Ok I can play tonight.

QSC save

We have a couple of settlers moving down to claim the incense and furs. Ping pong is generating settlers at a good clip. Seoul is due for a worker build after the next archer or two. It's building an archer every other turn. Cheju was planted on horses and workers are currently making a path to that city. We are starting to look good.

Philosophy came in and I traded like we'd get the free tech but no dice. The other continent might be booming. I did get us caught up. we are now only behind IW & Myst. China also has jumbos so it will be interesting to see who gets the SoZ.

Dot map for lux cities

Spoiler turnlog :
Preturn- bump lux to prevent pinog pong from rioting

T1- Seuol barracks -> archer
switch prefs to slow down AI units
switch Cheju to curraph to explor NE island
drop sci Phil still in 3

t2- Pingpong settler -> settler
start suicied run off west coast

IT: Kicked out by Vikings
see barb on fur island

t3- Pusan worker -> worker
suicide curraph dies
start another suicide off of southern Western shore
hire taxman in Seoul to prevent going red and keep phil due next turn

IT: kicked out by chinese

t4- learn Philo -> goto big picture
trade Philo to Mao for MAth, CB, & 46G
trade Philo, Math 46G, & 3gpt to Izzy for MM & wheels
trade Vikings Philo for HBR straight up
Seoul Archer -> archer
Izzy established embassy in our capital
no currency so switched to CoL
drop lux to 10 & sci currently @ 50%

t5- Nampo worker -> worker
suicide lost
bump lux to 20%
moving all workers to road to Wonsan (wines) & Cheju (horses)

t6- zz

t7- Seoul Archer -> archer
MM Seoul & Pingpong to make sure I get settler next turn in PP

t8- Pingpong settler -> settler
re-MM Seoul & PP
pillaged banana road near China

t9-road on wines complete
Mao gives us the boot
seoul archer -> archer

t10- MM Ping pong
roading to Cheju
wines should be connected to seoul & PP next turn

Move the Blue Dot 1NW to the Desert.
Light Blue doesn't belong, but a Settler by the Oasis would be nice.
A city on the choke will be helpful as a canal, me might want to move Namp'o 1SW to take advantage of it at some point.

I'm sorry, eldar, but I'm going to have to back out of this game. Well actually all of my games. I realized last night that I'm spending way too much time playing civ and not enough time with my family. I'm becoming obsessed with Civ every waking moment I either want to play it or talkto someone about it. I'm going to tell my wife to hide the CD (but not break it which is what she'd rather do). I'm sorry to do this to you but I have to. I'll be lurking around because I really don't think that I can quit cold turkey.

Thanks for all of the help that you guys have given me.

but they all come back, every one of them.
my guess is we havent heard the last of you.
If I had to guess, it will be when civ4 comes out in the fall, but yes I will be back and active again. For now I'll be lurking. I'm going to try to get an advisor spot on a SGOTM team. That way it's almost the same as playing and I can still have something to do during lulls at work.

Tubby, many have to go through that kind of things, but not enough actually do. Have fun out there, and come back moderately when you do. Going back to the family is never a loss. Nice to have met, it was short but pleasant.

I'll probably be next! Finish SGs, finish my HoF QC, then take a break 'til Autumn.
At least, I'd like to think I could manage that, but they keep coming out with a new XOTM every fortnight....

Top Bottom