Elder Scrolls V: Oblivion Part 2?

Thats the thing, i'm kind of hoping avoiding armor will make my magic stronger so that i'm not gimping myself by wearing a bath towel instead of knights armor, i dont want the strongest type of mage to be one in armor is what i mean i guess.

Oh I see. Well there is an armor penalty in Oblivion in the case of magic and stealth moves. If it was imperceivable to you, it might be a good case to argue increasing those kinds of penalties. A 'pure' mage should be better at magic than a battlemage, absolutely. But whether a pure mage should be stronger or as strong in COMBAT than a pure mage is something I don't necessarily needs to be the defacto understanding or paradigm. If anything, it makes sense for a battlemage to kick a mages butt in the case of overall fighting ability.

Oh I see. Well there is an armor penalty in Oblivion in the case of magic and stealth moves. If it was imperceivable to you, it might be a good case to argue increasing those kinds of penalties. A 'pure' mage should be better at magic than a battlemage, absolutely. But whether a pure mage should be stronger or as strong in COMBAT than a pure mage is something I don't necessarily needs to be the defacto understanding or paradigm. If anything, it makes sense for a battlemage to kick a mages butt in the case of overall fighting ability.

Thats a good point, i'd be content with a mage that is viable in cloth, it does'nt need to be an uber class or anything, as for whether a battle mage would beat a cloth mage, i expect that would depend on the skill they both had as individuals in their respective disciplines :D

I still want a game where magic acts like it should, IE you shoot a lightning bolt at a guy in plate armour, he's going to fry if the bolt is powerful enough. I still want to see fireballs actually set things on fire and people react to being on fire properly!

But I guess i'll keep waiting and accept how its implemented (with maybe some mods :) )

It would be awesome to use an ice spell to freeze a lake to avoid swimming in it.
It would be great to see a warrior's sword act like a lightning rod.
It would be cool to see metal armor turn red from being hit w/ fire and burn its wearer.

The article posted earlier makes me think the magic might look like Bioshock's plasmid stuff. And being able to combine spell effects will be cool.

i wonder if we'l be able to place lanterns around the place like in morrowind, if i remember that wasnt in Oblivion, sometimes i miss little things like that.

i wonder if we'l be able to place lanterns around the place like in morrowind, if i remember that wasnt in Oblivion, sometimes i miss little things like that.

There were only torches in Oblivion. I know in my game when I drop them, they are unlit, but when I re-enter the area from a different interior/exterior, the torch is burning. I do not know if that is due to a mod or if it is from the original game. I am also sure that people made mods which add new light sources.

Also, the whole unarmored question could be fixed if Bethesda would not be dead-set on simplifying the game by nixing skills. IMO it is extremely annoying when gamemakers decide on "simplifying" games by removing things.

Yeah, the Fallout 3 system wasn't too bad, but it still had that skill bonus on levelling from Intelligence(?) that made me feel the need to run for the Int Bobblehead asap.

And capped stats that made a max. almost any stat. at the start a waste due to bobbleheads and some quest rewards.

I dislike levelling systems where you can clearly waste potential by not gaming the system. Once I know its there I can't help but try to follow the best path and it usually gets in the way of enjoying the game.

Vague memories of multiple levels spent jumping and whacking crabs with a crappy staff in Morrowind. *shudders*

Re: Fallout 3 I would have preferred if they just didn't cap stats, that is max 10 on creation but allow any permanent/apparel bonuses to push the stat. up as high as you can get it. Means you don't get halfway thru the game and realise the super gear you just picked up is a waste to equip. 'cause you didn't design your character with it in mind.

Would solve part of my problem with the system, though I'd still feel compelled to make a no xp run from the Vault to that Aircraft Carrier asap ;)

I agree.

Also, the whole unarmored question could be fixed if Bethesda would not be dead-set on simplifying the game by nixing skills. IMO it is extremely annoying when gamemakers decide on "simplifying" games by removing things.

Indeed. I hope they won't simplify it.

In terms of armor, I kind of liked their system of Damage Resistance and Damage Threshold that NewVegas had. And I don't think there is any reason to bring back medium armor or unarmored. I would much rather have polearms as a skill for spears and melee staffs.

I hope they'll make a good character creation for once, that won't require modding to create a good looking character. The one that would provide decent amount of good options. Not 20 or so hairstyles of which 2 maybe are useful, the rest look horrible, 3 eye color choises etc. and most importantly without idiotic head-body discoloring. Also perhaps Dragon Age "static" slider would be a better choice. It was much easier to create decent looking characters in DA:O with it, when your character's face won't go crazy after tweaking some slider a bit.

It's a very big factor for me. I can't start enjoying a game until I create a character I'm fully satisfied with. The most common reason for me to start a new game, which is very frustrating.

Speaking of that, I want them to do something along the lines of what I recall Mass Effect doing for character appearance/creation.

IIRC, you could customize your appearance and at the bottom of the screen, a serial # was displayed, which could be entered any time you want for recreating the same looking character.

I'm really disappointed that more games don't include this kind of feature. It would be great for people to get that one look they like and not have a hell of a time trying to recreate it every new game.

A little off topic, but it would be cool to start a thread where we create our fellow posters within different games via in-game character creation. Someone could upload a photo of themselves and we could hold a competition to see who can most closely recreate the poster in game...

I hope they'll make a good character creation for once, that won't require modding to create a good looking character. The one that would provide decent amount of good options. Not 20 or so hairstyles of which 2 maybe are useful, the rest look horrible, 3 eye color choises etc. and most importantly without idiotic head-body discoloring. Also perhaps Dragon Age "static" slider would be a better choice. It was much easier to create decent looking characters in DA:O with it, when your character's face won't go crazy after tweaking some slider a bit.

It's a very big factor for me. I can't start enjoying a game until I create a character I'm fully satisfied with. The most common reason for me to start a new game, which is very frustrating.

How about a way to get beards that DON'T look like you just colored on yourself in marker?

In terms of armor, I kind of liked their system of Damage Resistance and Damage Threshold that NewVegas had. And I don't think there is any reason to bring back medium armor or unarmored. I would much rather have polearms as a skill for spears and melee staffs.

I like the idea of bringing back Spear as well. I also do not see the need for Medium Armor, since it can be incorporated into both other armors through modifying weight and protection. I would like to see Unarmored which would allow the unarmored mage or stealth character to be playable. Also, if they continue to have enchanted clothing, unarmored would be fair to have. It was annoying that Oblivion had enchanted clothing, but no unarmored skill.

What is "unarmored" supposed to represent in game mechanics anyway?

As far as natural ability to resist physical trauma, endurance is appropriate and specific enough for me, no need for a skill, I don't think a skill would make much sense, getting an armor bonus for not wearing armor is dumb.

If the ability to dodge attacks is what you think unarmored should mean, than I feel like the label "Dodge" is far more appropriate for that skill than "unarmored."

The issue of unarmored characters being unplayable is as you said, solved by enchanted clothing, magic effects and a dodge skill. The game would be way to ridiculous if unarmored players didn't die easily at the hands of a berzerker armed with an axe. But if you are an unarmored character, you need to play to your strengths and melee isn't one of them.

Unarmoured is for when you don't use any armour... just clothing or nothing at all.

But what does it do... increase dodging ability, increase damage resistance? Why not let those things be determined by Agility or Endurance?

"Don't worry guys, he hit me with a hammer but I'm really good at getting hit in the face, I'm good. Anyways, I'm going to go stab myself with a dagger so I can get better at not bleeding."

Maybe there should be a skill called magicless, that makes you better at using magic when you don't use magic...

And admittedly, Unarmored might be good as perk (even though it still won't make sense to me). I recall New Vegas had a toughness perk that gave a DT bonus...

The problem with having unarmoured be governed by Agility / Endurance rather than a separate skill is that it makes being unarmoured/wearing clothes a worse choice than wearing any armour (for which you got skill points and get increasingly better use out of).

Over the course of the game, not wearing armour became a significant burden that way. You might feel that to be realistic, but it means that any mage / thief / assassin roleplayers had to game the system instead of play it, and were pretty much forced to wear armour in the end.

The problem with having unarmoured be governed by Agility / Endurance rather than a separate skill is that it makes being unarmoured/wearing clothes a worse choice than wearing any armour (for which you got skill points and get increasingly better use out of).
Well DUH. You're not wearing armour, of course you're not going to be able to resist as much damage, that is hwy they invented armour in the first place!

Over the course of the game, not wearing armour became a significant burden that way. You might feel that to be realistic, but it means that any mage / thief / assassin roleplayers had to game the system instead of play it, and were pretty much forced to wear armour in the end.
Or you could enchant clothing or wear armour, there are plenty of light armours for those classes and indeed the Battlemage class NPCs are often wearing heavy armour.

But what does it do... increase dodging ability, increase damage resistance? Why not let those things be determined by Agility or Endurance?
I think it just increased damage resistance, dunno as I never really cared or used it.

"Don't worry guys, he hit me with a hammer but I'm really good at getting hit in the face, I'm good. Anyways, I'm going to go stab myself with a dagger so I can get better at not bleeding."

Maybe there should be a skill called magicless, that makes you better at using magic when you don't use magic...
Thats just silly.

Top Bottom