1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Elder Scrolls V: Oblivion Part 2?

Discussion in 'All Other Games' started by GoodGame, Nov 23, 2010.

1. civ_king

civ_king Deus Caritas Est

When you play on maximum difficulty you take any advantage you can get

2. Kraznaya

Kraznaya Princeps

On god mode maximum difficulty is just as "difficult" as the easiest difficulty.

3. civ_king

The challenge is to get there first

4. PeteAtoms

PeteAtoms FormulaRandom

"The Next Elder Scrolls Has New Combat & Levelling" - Kotaku

Vrry interesting... Speshly the bolded IMO...

5. Rub'Rum

Rub'Rum Hates acronyms

Doesn't sound like much of a revolution.

6. Owen Glyndwr

Owen Glyndwr La Femme Moderne

My thoughts precisely.

7. civ_king

Meet the new boos same as the old boss?

8. Yeekim

Yeekim Deity

Haven't played Fallout, what does that mean?

9. Rub'Rum

Rub'Rum Hates acronyms

In Fallout 3, there are still enemies levelling with you mechanics. Except it's limited to ranges depending on the region.

So, for instance, a specific region might be a level 3-8 region, which means that from level 3 to 8 you'll see an increase, but once you're level 8 and above you'll own everything there because the enemies will always remain in the 3 to 8 range. At least that's how I understood it.

There are also regions that have fixed low or high levels, so that some areas are always "inaccessible" until later (like the dangerous Old Olney in Fallout 3).

Anyway, that's what I gathered. It's not perfect but it was a huge improvement over Oblivion. I never had the same Oblivion feeling where some place that had rats before now had minotaurs.

As for Skyrim, it sounds like it's going to be Oblivion with some features taken from Fallout 3 and the return of the use-to-increase system from Morrowind. Can't wait to put a brick on my space button to train the athetics skill while I'm having lunch watching TV. Wait no that was in Oblivion too right? haven't played these games in a while.

10. Owen Glyndwr

Owen Glyndwr La Femme Moderne

What's a boos? :p

11. civ_king

It's how my geometry teacher pronounces boss...

12. Tacit_Exit

Tacit_Exit King

So is this version going to have the same Efficient Levelling that made me hate Morrowind and avoid Oblivion?

13. Rub'Rum

Rub'Rum Hates acronyms

Yeah this mechanic is horrible. It was almost mandatory too in Oblivion to account for it (or at least when I ignored it I ended up over levelling or under levelling or something, I dunno, it was screwed up). I don't think they'll be stupid enough to fool with this again.

In Fallout 3 you start with set attributes that don't really change throughout the game (well they do change, but through things you find or quests and whatnot, not through levelling). It's more like D&D in that department.

14. Tacit_Exit

Tacit_Exit King

Yeah, the Fallout 3 system wasn't too bad, but it still had that skill bonus on levelling from Intelligence(?) that made me feel the need to run for the Int Bobblehead asap.

And capped stats that made a max. almost any stat. at the start a waste due to bobbleheads and some quest rewards.

I dislike levelling systems where you can clearly waste potential by not gaming the system. Once I know its there I can't help but try to follow the best path and it usually gets in the way of enjoying the game.

Vague memories of multiple levels spent jumping and whacking crabs with a crappy staff in Morrowind. *shudders*

15. Yeekim

Yeekim Deity

In Oblivion there were Everscamps, Best Buddies of Level-Grinder (TM). :D

16. Rub'Rum

Rub'Rum Hates acronyms

Yes, that. And I too hate the bonus to skill points by intelligence. It means that even if I want to create a brute that hits people hard with unarmed, I am still tempted to give him high intelligence... and well... damn. If I don't give him high intelligence he won't be able to learn many other skills.

17. PeteAtoms

PeteAtoms FormulaRandom

I think it's an issue of balancing the importance of skill and attribute values.

A high intelligence means less points for strength and endurance which are clearly beneficial to a brute. But I think the developers make it a little too easy for someone with low str/end to get away with a brute playing style. There should be increased importance and necessity in having sufficiently high or adequate skills/attributes to play a certain kind of character.

Not that a high intelligence, low endurance character should be RESTRICTED from being able to play brute style, but it should be incredibly difficult compared to how it is now.

From what was in the article, I don't see jumping to conclusions as very timely, but like I said earlier:

I don't know how to solve your guys' problem with the metagaming however. There really isn't anything the developers can do to keep you from saving 1 point from Intelligence in anticipation of a bobble head. I don't know how you expect them to fix that, unless they pull bobblehead like items all together (implants a-la New Vegas, books, apparel bonuses, etc).

18. Rub'Rum

Rub'Rum Hates acronyms

It's just that intelligence seems to have an impact with how much content of the game you're going to experience, which is a bad design. Being a brute just means you can use unarmed and melee better than other people. Having high intelligence allows you to use more skills and unlock more conversation options, computer hacking ,whatever, you can just have more options in general. Of course, that seems logical in the sense that this is what intelligence is, more options... But it sort of comes, as I said, at the expense of content experienced or unlocked, which makes playing a brute with low intelligence a lot less appealing suddenly.

19. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

Oh, duel wielding, yay. I like being able to use shields offensively and use a shield/weapon and magic, but I couldn't care less about dual-wielding weapons.

20. Tacit_Exit

Tacit_Exit King

Re: Fallout 3 I would have preferred if they just didn't cap stats, that is max 10 on creation but allow any permanent/apparel bonuses to push the stat. up as high as you can get it. Means you don't get halfway thru the game and realise the super gear you just picked up is a waste to equip. 'cause you didn't design your character with it in mind.

Would solve part of my problem with the system, though I'd still feel compelled to make a no xp run from the Vault to that Aircraft Carrier asap ;)