[BTS] Emperor Shadow Game: Willem

Culture flip means you get the city for free. Easy enough with barb cities.
Happens when culture ring extend over the city.

Im off now, can wite more tonight.

@ xzight - On a normal continent I'd expand about how you have done here but

Spoiler map :
This is not a normal continent. The land has food and not much else. The continent is large and Hammy is the only other one. In this position I'd settle north towards the flood plains much sooner to prevent Hammy from grabbing it and backfill you other city spots much later which can be settled anytime. if not Hammy will get 15 cities and grab some nice spots. Flood plans are great with a financial leader.

Also, you should definately scout better. it is very useful to know what Hammy has got. IF his capitol and surrounding area were great with lots of happy resources I'd instantly plan to kill him and take his land as he won't trade with you anyway. Only on deity does scouting become a bit dicy as the barbs are everywhere.

Yeah I was suprised you surged ahead to 7 cities without TW and pottery. You are losing 5 gold a turn. You can run coast tiles to fix this. You need to be running scientists instead of hammer tiles.

Low commerce starts sometimes require some more thought. I was able to get TW in 4 turns with scientists.

My advice was to expand after pottery. 3 more cities have slowed down your game greatly. Now you have workers building farms that are probably not that great.

Cities further away from your capital have higher upkeeps.

You can still fix this but I fear you have delayed cottages by 10-20 turns here. Once you have The wheel build roads for trade routes.

Long term your land will pay off. For now you are limping along.

Research vs expansion. Hmmm.

Yeah, I went cottages early here especially by the river to get the advantage of the financial trait. Before monarchy you should also run scientist in most of your cities. I got 3 of them so I could get an academy early in my capitol. Then a 2nd to bulb philo. You really need a religion as you need happiness and converting Hammy helps with relations too. I only settled cities along the rivers for the cottages 1st. Backfilling cities is something you can do after astro. But cottages early is something you will benfit from the rest of the game. The fp are golden for Willem.

The most annoying part with hammy is that he will not trade unless friendly. Which means you have to selftech everything as he will get friendly late. You can't even trade resources with him for realtions.

I made a save (no turn advanced) with how cities could look like until you fixed your economy ;)
Corn is important for Rotterdam so you can work 2 scientists (copper not doing much currently).

Also important that workers are ready for roads when wheel arrives (can maybe be managed in 2 turns, should spend your last gold on it next turn).
With so many libraries up already and scientists, i guess that pottery can be done in at most 7 turns.

Attachments

• mkbli BC-1080.CivBeyondSwordSave
    105.3 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
Looks good. My only comment is that maybe Mastricht coulda been settled a bit more N. Even 1N can it would get a trade route after the border pops.

Do you guys think it would be better for learning if I try to fix my economy and keep going with what I have done so far...or go back 10 turns or so and get TW and POT before I settle Maastricht?

Play along imho, it's a common occurance that you find yourself in these situations. Sometimes you are forced to settled alot of land in a short amount of time, and after a conquest the situation is often similar, and learning how to work from that is good.
Take a look at Fippys save and see what can be done to recover efficiently.

Quick run to 1000bc. No real spoilers.
Going TW/Pottery first seems a better move.
6 cities. TW/Pottery and writing all teched.
5 granaries built no libraries yet.
5-6 cottages up and running.
+15 gold at 0% science.
Still have 4-5 forest left. Only did a few chops.
All cities have trade routes too. Should of got a workboat out for Hammy sooner. Albeit warrior has reached his borders anyway. So 2c trade routes soon.(Need sailing!)
Had to whip axe due to archer.

Overall I think you needed to run more coastal tiles sooner and slow expansion a bit. I should be able to build 2 more settlers here to grab land. Economy will flourish once these cottages hit 2f3C.

Attachments

• mkbli BC-1000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    99 KB · Views: 125
Wow, very nice! It is cool and inspiring to see what great players can do! I just hope I get half that good! :)

Main difference was tech path! Just set up roads and cottages. Normally roads are a terrible idea early on. On a map short of commerce early trade routes really help. Chopped a lot less. Got the resources set up as quickly as possible. Chops really helped to get granaries up and whipped.

You will get your first great person much sooner here. Your economy and cottages will be 10-20+ turns behind. That is your biggest issue.

Still good practise to manage a broken economy. You really do need to be watching gold surplus. As you could see on T49 you were low on surplus gold to finish techs.

Yeah, again, when I first recommend Writing I for some reason thought this was a Noble game. So TW has merit. Still think Writing first could work fine here simply being a tad more cognizant of the commerce you do have available and more judicious settling. 3 to 4 quick cities is fine, but you can even build those additional settlers and hold them a bit until writing is in...snap..quick Creative Libraries and all is fine.

Regardless, you are learning some good things here and likely expanding far faster than you've ever done before. The semi-iso will present some challenges with trading. Indeed you want to open coastlines for those foreign trade routes. I would use a workboat for that. Sailing is probably a good tech to go for after Pottery...it's not like you can trade for it anyway and those routes will be vital here.

Basically you will be stuck in a no tech trading situation until Optics, except for maybe some specific techs like Monarchy.

You are not looking too bad here. If you max tiles for commerce you can get the wheel in 3 turns and pottery in 5 turns. It's what to do after sailing regarding techwise that is my question. You need happiness.

What about going optics so I can discover some other civs and trade for happiness resources?

Attachments

• Emperor Willem (Shadow) T92.CivBeyondSwordSave
    125.5 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
Personally I like alphabet as this allows science build for faster teching. You will want calendar too.

You want more settlers here. As cities reach size size 3 pop whip settlers. If you don't grab the land hammy will. Also a risk Hammy will capture those barb cities. Keep warrior 11 in place. Axes/spears can spawn now. So connecting the copper could be useful. Sooner or later Hammy will likely decide to attack.

There are more happiness resources for grabs. There is fur north of Hammy. Incense in the desert. Plus likely others. With sailing you merely have to connect the resources to a city.

Rotterdam should be using the corn instead of unimproved grassland.

I would be cottaging river grassland ahead of plains tiles.

How many more cities should I settle? I don't want to destroy my economy again. I only see 2 spots that might be worth settling but there could be more that I missed. First one is the pig resource on the west coast but I would be surrounded by jungle without IW. Second is NW of Middelburg I can grab some more floodplains and an incense.

Edit: I tried to turn 106 let me know what you think...Leiden doesn't do anything but cost me money right now but I guess it does secure land and it could be useful once I get IW...I don't know if this city was a decent choice or not.

Attachments

• Emperor Willem (Shadow) T106.CivBeyondSwordSave
    142.7 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
Okay I meant grab the best land. Leiden should not of been settled. I would gift this to hammy. Should get you to pleased. So somewhat useful. I would connect the road to your network and his empire from that city first. 3 roads required. This should help solve the foreign trade route issues. Plus give you some much needed commerce.

Your capital should be working the cottages. Working sea tiles long term will not increase their yield.

You have 5 unit cost here. Delete all warrior you don't need. There are at least 3 you don't need. 5 warriors to delete where a city already has 2 defender.

Running some scientists here would really help for sailing. (Use high food tiles for this).

Would be useful to search the remainder of the continent too. You really need to secure a happiness resource. Settling on that fur would help. Especially once you have sailing.

You have all those juicy flood plains and your building roads? Focus on setting up your economy. Harlem should be running 3 cottages.

For this date you are well behind on tech. Yet you have an impressive amount of land.

Yeah I actually didn't realize there was a jungle on the pig tile. Felt really stupid when I got a worker there ready to build a pasture lol.

Top Bottom