Votes: 25 24.3%
  • Tall

Votes: 70 68.0%
  • OCC

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters

ekat2468

Warlord
I would like to know what your guys preference is for empire: OCC (1 city), Tall (2-4 cities), Wide (10-20 cities), ICS (20+ cities).

Moderator Action: Not really a strategy thread -> moved to General Discussion.

I didn't vote...i often play semi-tall, between 6 and 9 cities, probably the best number of cities for science pace.

You do need a category between 4 and 10 cities. Also, some way to distinguish between your cities and puppets?

When I say cities I mean cities founded by you, as well as cities you annex. Puppets don't count in this consideration.

On a game I am trying hard to win, it would be 2-4 with puppets.

Going tall at the start (2-5 cities) but adding puppets as happiness allows is probably the best strategy IMO, with the occasional annex if it's a really powerful city or in a strategically useful spot. This strat seems to be the best for all 4 victory types, with the possible exception of diplomacy where you are sometimes better off playing nice the whole game.

Completely depends?

I will play small and tall (< 4 cities) if going cultural (other than acquiring puppets if possible).
I'll expand as i can optimally for science games, so depending on map, this could mean small and tall again, or quite spread out via conquering neighbors.
For domination, i'll obviously end up with a LOT of cities all over the map.
ICS i'm not a fan of. It's extremely tedious, and frankly is not going to get you overly fast times anyway. I tried it once with the Maya and probably never will again.
I just don't see it being all that great.

On a related note, when do people usually find it too late to found a new city?

ie. usually in continents, by the time you've explored the map and dealt with your neighbours, you'll see some far off spots that look like good locations. however by the time a settler is sent there and built the required buildings (monument, granary, library, etc), you're always close to victory. You can either rush buy buildings to make that city useful, and waste that gold which you could be using for other things.
or, you build them the normal way, and by the time that city is useful, the game has been decided (you know if you're going to win/what you need to do to win)

I agree with ense7en. But I consider puppets to still count, which is why I answered sprawling. If I am playing a culture game, I still try and get a few puppets if possible. I like how Civ is set-up so you can choose to have a smaller empire and still keep pace (even with just one city), but I get terribly bored just clicking next turn 200 times looking at four cities.

On a related note, when do people usually find it too late to found a new city?

How late are we talking? Note that due to several techs (Civil Service, Fertilizer, Biology) a city can be up and running in a fraction of the time it took one of your originals. I'd say it heavily depends on how the game is currently being played, but usually I won't bother unless it is conveniently in my way towards victory.

I always want an empire of 10-15 own cities, it makes it challenging in many ways. But these games are normally on King-level. If I play a notch or two up, I definitely go tall as it gives you different choices.

Still, I like the slower games better, where I settle 3-4 cities early, find a neighbour and make some puppets. When I can afford it I annex them and the struggle continues from there, mainly happiness of course.

I'm never fussed with early victory dates, when I have a good map.

5 to 6 self founded cities; large population in each.

If I conquer anything, half of the cities are razed, the ones I keep will eventually be annexed.

I usually go tall to start, and then see how crowded my neighborhood is. If I have room to grow and some prime city locations left, I will go for it and spread out quickly. I find that if I spread out too early, I end up with several under-producing cities that won't produce units fast enough when war eventually comes my way. However I typically fail to take advantage of national wonders because I am normally founding new cities once they start becoming an option.

on founding late cities:
I find it is totally worth it to found some late cities, especially for strategic resources, or a strategic location such as a naval base or beach head for an overseas assault. You can really get a city growing fast if you pile on the workers, buy aquaduct, granary, hospital, workshop, factory, etc. it is pricey, but if you have the cash, you need to spend it on something, I rarely buy units so I think buildings are a good investment. bribing CSs is a gamble unless going for a long term ally.

If I'm going diplomatic or science, I go wide. Mostly with founded cities, and some puppets.

If I'm going cultural, I found 4 cities then puppet as many as happiness will allow while still growing my main four as tall as I can.

I never go domination.

I do tall as well. 4 cities + puppets ( or 3 and I annex a fourth, or sometimes annex a 5th if strategic location,etc like mentioned above.

Thing that makes me wonder I spose is, if most everyone is doing it that way does that mean there is a balance issue of some kind, or just that most of us hate micromanaging more than 4 cities?:crazyeye:

You cant always go tall of course I spose, but it seems like the only reason I wouldnt would generally be a lack of resource diversity in my area

I basically only go domination these days. 4-8 founded cities is normal, and at least twice as many puppets is standard if I can handle the happiness hit. I usually only annex after getting a few good happiness policies (e.g., Order opener and protectionism).

4 cities, 5 if I see a rEALLY nice spot later on. 4-6 puppets as well. This is only usual, and I do go wider (5-8 cities, 4-6 puppets) if I'm feeling like something different. I have never founded a tenth city.

In my experience going Tall has always produced better results on higher difficulties, initially planning to found 3 cities plus capital. You can then expand if you need strategic resources, and puppet as necessary.

Additionally, it seems to me that going Tall tends to be not just an effective strat, but also a safe strat, whereas if you go Wide you can certainly screw yourself over in more ways than one.

Depends on victory type, civilization and map of course, but in general I prefer sprawling games the most. ICS is a bit too much for me unless playing in a huge map and really want a long and super micro intensive game, otherwise sprawling is as far as I go, with puppets who I eventually anex, slowly, to keep up with happiness as well as I can.

Top Bottom