End of the Beginning of the End

Starborn Walkers
Spoiler :

The Starborn Walkers resolved a minor issue with poor ventilation in the dungeon, but have otherwise been focused on the story of the voyage of the Blizzard in Summer as it heads to explore lands to the south. While the fertile farmlands to the southeast had been previously scouted, the ship sought to head southwest along the coast instead. They found a new land that had soaring towers built of solid steel, sunk into winding waterways and swamps. The entire area appears to consist of sunken ruins and swampland, and most it was navigable by the longboat. They were able to retrieve a modest amount of ore with the crew, along with some discarded weapons, but the expedition was halted when they witnessed a giant creature entangled among the ruins, with appendages wrapped around the great towers. It appeared not to notice the small longboat and black abominations seemed to scuttle into and out of its gaping maw, and the crew was quick to beat a hasty retreat, deeming the largest creature “the Risen One.”

Turn Stat Changes
Spoiler :

-40 Magicka towards Death Curse
-20 Magicka towards dungeon wards
+40 Ore, +10 Swords from Zone 47 salvaging
+10 Population from natural growth
-210 Food, -200 Water, -20 Magicka from consumption
+45 Magicka from generation

Challenge: A great demon has emerged from a previous sealed chamber in the dungeon. Our forces were prepared to fight it when it suddenly offered us its services. It has stated that it has watched us from its slumber and hopes to aid us in our goals to rebuild a society. It has further stated that should we request it to leave, it will. Our people are understandably nervous about a demon in our midst. How do we respond to this offer?

Stonebeard Clan
Spoiler :

The Stonebeard Clan has undertaken extensive works to make sure that the society remains safe and prosperous. Steel and iron was used to reinforce decaying parts of the old fortress, helping to prevent unfortunate collapse. A group of individuals sought to gain the favor of the great Stone Giants wandering Zabad-fakâk, leaving them an offering of iron dug out from the fortress. When they returned the next day, they found a small hill of crossbows where the offering had been left. Where the giants had found the crossbows and why they thought the dwarves would need them is a mystery. The crossbows were returned to the arsenal in the fortress. Other scouts in the mountains had the misfortune to discover living shadows, which consumed whole dwarves in a matter of seconds, leaving only the bones, without a scrap of flesh. These shadowfolk are better to be avoided, as they seem to be unstoppable. Scouts sent further south managed to leave the mountains, reporting an area that seemed to be nothing but rolling hills and the wreckage of human farmlands.

Turn Stat Changes
Spoiler :

-600 Ore to shore up fortress
+6,400 Gold, -100 Lumber from market sales
+250 Lumber from Zabad-fakâk woodcutting
-10 Ore, +600 Crossbows from offering to stone giants
-5 Population, -5 Clubs from losses to shadowfolk
+5 Population from natural growth
-222 Food and Water from consumption
+250 Ore from surplus production
+15 Magicka from generation

Challenge: The gifts from the stone giants have spurred some to begin vaguely referencing these creatures as minor dieties. Should we crack down on this new worship?

University of the Rose
Spoiler :

The University of the Rose has taken a dark turn, as almost half of the population was hauled out kicking and screaming for a ritual sacrifice. The halls ran with blood as person after person had their throats slit on a black alter while mages chanted arcane words of summoning. Seeking to survive the coming years and a desperate need for food had led to these dark circumstances as well over a hundred people of all ages and sexes were slaughtered for the mages. Through this blood magic, the mages were able to summon a demon and ask for aid and food to survive. The demon granted their wish with the summoning of a Bloatworm, a giant worm-like demonic creature from which the people of the University could cut off slabs of meat to consume and ward off hunger. The meat would always regenerate so long as the Bloatworm lives in the halls of the University. The meat similarly would always taste like whatever the eater viewed as the tastiest meats whenever consumed. Hunger thwarted, the much smaller University now has a stronger hope for survival, but at what cost?

Turn Stat Changes
Spoiler :

-112 Population, +1,120 Magicka from ritual sacrifices
-1,220 Magicka, +1 Bloatworm from ritual demon summoning
+288 Gold, +400 Water, -40 Lumber from market transactions
+6 Population from natural growth
-177 Water from consumption
+223 Food from surplus production
+80 Magicka from generation

Challenge: Some of the survivors have cautiously asked our leadership exactly what qualified the people selected for the sacrifice. Why did we pick them over the ones allowed to live? Who were the people we chose for sacrifice?

Vinya Falas
Spoiler :

The elves of Vinya Falas have continued to work hard in maintain the resources and supplies they need to expand and thrive. Woodcutting has continued at a rapid pace, as much of the population is dedicated to the task. A massive order of ore was placed with merchants, but it was revealed shortly after the deal was completed that the merchants had swapped out the regular ore with balls of harden clay instead that collapsed upon touch. Many of the elves blamed the treachery on unreliable human merchant traders. Thankfully magicka was used to provide the needed resources for the construction of a new lumber mill that has aided in more rapid collection of lumber for the community.

Attempts were made to further protect the elves, as a force was sent to subdue and capture one of the stone elementals of the region. For a moment it seemed as though the whole plan would be successful, when dozens of the elementals erupted from the earth to free their captured brother from the elves. In the ensuing rampage, a number of elves were killed, including veteran archers and mages. As she had in the past, Mariel Gorumrim managed to led the elves to victory in the brutal battle, wielding powerful magic against the elementals threatening her people. The elementals were destroyed and dispersed and the surviving elves returned back to the town.

Other excitement was had by a group of scouts that rendezvoused with dwarves from the newly allied Blackfist Clan. They met in Attea Runya to scout out the Deepdrill Mine’s defenses and capabilities. The dwarves provided armored muscle to the more supportive soldiers of the elves. The mages cast invisibility upon the scouting force to better survey and explore the exterior of the mine, looking for any weaknesses or defenses. It seems clear that outside of the exterior fortifications, there exists only one entryway into the mine, which is heavily defended. Plenty of heavily armed, but occasionally drunk, bandit patrols cover the walls and courtyard, making it obvious that they are prepared for a major fight if need be.

Turn Stat Changes
Spoiler :

+3,800 Gold, -300 Food, +10,000 Ore from market trading
-8,400 Ore from false ore
-300 Magicka, +300 Lumber from magical transfusion
-300 Ore, -600 Lumber from construction
-50 Magicka from invisibility spells
-19 Population, -110 Magicka, -3 Mages, -5 Archers from Enna Runya elemental uprising
+200 Lumber from Enna Runya woodcutting
+2 Population from natural growth
-96 Food and Water from consumption
+75 Lumber, +50 Ore from surplus production
+179 Magicka from generation

Challenge: Some of our people believe that with recent events the merchants are more trouble than they are worth. Clearly the humans continue to dominate trade on the seas and have once more tricked us with false ore and resources, likely doing so again and again should we give them a chance. These people suggest that we simply stop participating in the open market and work to seize any merchant ships and supplies as they pass. How do we respond to this proposal?

Windgard
Spoiler :

The elves of Windguard have gone to war with the forests and the dryads that defend them. With these creatures attacking the settlement on occasion, it was deemed prudent to rid Grey Vale of them once and for all. Ample amounts of ore were purchased for the forging of new swords and the construction of armor for needed warriors. These new soldiers were outfitted and prepared, along with new clerics and mages to support them. New fortifications were creature around Windguard itself, to help defend against counterattack and the humans of Lost Town were approached to lend aid in the fighting. The humans obliged by providing some of their strongest guards to assist in the protection of the workers sent out to cut down trees. Hundreds of laborers were sent out under guard to begin clearcutting areas around the town, and they were able to do so without some harassment before the fighting started. Unfortunately, the dryads were more powerful than previously expected, wielding natural magics against the mages and warriors of Windguard. Both elves and humans were slain in the battle, while the mages attempted to set fires to scour the old trees in that manner. Through unknown magic the fires were quenched and eventually the elven workers and warriors were driven back into their stronghold and the dryads dispersed.

Turn Stat Changes
Spoiler :

-4,000 Gold, +4,000 Ore from market purchases
-2,000 Ore, +400 Swords from production
-65 Population, -4,500 Gold, -600 Ore, -60 Swords, +60 Footmen, +4 Clerics, +5 Mages from recruitment and training
-400 Magicka, +400 Lumber from magical transfusion
-400 Lumber, -900 Ore from construction
-22 Footmen, -11 Archers, -1 Mage, -10 Magicka from losses in fighting dryads
+266 Lumber from woodcutting in Grey Vale
+6 Population from natural growth
-191 Food, -411 Water from consumption
+50 Lumber from surplus production
+339 Magicka from generation

Challenge: A strange very hairy orange dwarf has shown up at our gates claiming to speak for the trees. He claims that he could negotiate for the dryads and bring peace, asking that we stop our woodcutting activities and stick to the sustained lumber mill operations. He has decried the humans, claiming that the dryads will forgive our past trespasses if we aid them in exterminating the human settlement of Lost Town. This will protect our town from future attack in exchange for our support. How do we respond to this odd dwarf?

Wissenschaft
Spoiler :

The land bound crew of the Wissenschaft have found themselves struggling to survive in their new environment, running short on basic necessities. They have sought out aid from the town of Wooden Landing, which has graciously given it in exchange for more advanced weapons than the clubs they were wielding. The crew found itself busy hunting any local wildlife and gathering various foodstuffs of the wilderness, but they were still running desperately low on both food and water. The water provided from Wooden Landing helped keep the community alive that much long, but there are still considerable concerns about the future. Scouts that were about found another intact human settlement deep in the woods, calling itself Haven. Friendly contact was made, as they passed by the community.

Turn Stat Changes
Spoiler :

+314 Food from hunting and gathering
+200 Food, +400 Water, -50 Swords, -50 Crossbows from Wooden Landing trade
+14 Population from natural growth
-508 Food and Water from consumption

Challenge: The fuel for our old airship remains somewhat intact, and with our desperate water situation, some of our engineers believe that they have a solution. They suggest that they can carefully turn the fuel of the airship into completely clean and fresh water, and that they could generate enough water to help our faction make it through another year. On the other hand, this will mean effectively abandoning any hope of getting the airship up and running again, as we will have used up all of the fuel. How do we respond to this proposal?

Market Prices​

Food: 1 Gold for 1 Food

Water: 46 Gold for 1 Water

Lumber: 88 Gold for 1 Lumber

Ore: 392 Gold for 1 Ore

Swords: 23 Gold for 1 Sword

Spears: 25 Gold for 1 Spear

Crossbows: 52 Gold for 1 Crossbow

Horses: 56 Gold for 1 Horse

NPC Diplomacy​

To: Windguard

In the wake of the new hostilities with the evil dryads, we hope that you will provide us with some more advanced weapons than the clubs we are currently using. We do not yet have a forge established and could use any swords you could space. We would be interested in considering a trade for this aid if you would like, but hope you will see your way to supporting us in our common conflict.

To: Wissenschaft

We appreciate the recent trade, but it should be clear that the amount you gave was hardly sufficient to keep our people going. We cannot support both you and ourselves. We can spare you no more food nor water at this time.

OOC​

@Unweeldy Glov: You were right, you were overcharged in the construction of that building last turn. The lumber spent was refunded to your stats.

In case isn’t clear, Soldiers don’t scavenge, cut wood, or anything productive besides fight and guard. Therefore they will not collect anything, as they need their strength for their weapons and fighting.

Note to all: You cannot buy or sell items collected or crafted in the turn you collect or create them.

@Double A: It is possible to teleport an entire settlement to another zone, the cost of magicka is dependent on the population of the settlement, the type of settlement, and how many resources are stored/produced in said settlement. If that’s a course you want to follow, let me know and I’ll work out what the cost would be.

@Tolni: I’m assuming that you meant instead of 50 Footmen, 50 militia with swords, as you do not have any Footmen and could not afford to create any.

@Seon: I was unclear about your orders, and whether or not you intended to recruit 10 Archers with Crossbows or not, so no one was converted into soldiers at this time.

@Terran Empress: You need longbows or crossbows to create archers. Therefore those orders could not be executed. Also you can only sell one resource at a time.

@J.k. Stockholme: Only swords or spears can be used to create Footmen, and they were used instead of clubs in your orders.

@Zappericus: You can only buy or sell one resource at a time unless you have a Merchant leader. Therefore, only food was sold and only crossbows were bought.

@Shadowbound: because the swords could not be sold this update, not all of your recruitment orders could be completed. Only 4 Clerics were recruited.

@Calgori: No lumber could be gathered since you directed your men to gather food and they could not be assigned to both tasks. Also the only way Wooden Landing would give up the supplies you needed to survive was by giving them those weapons, so that liberty was taken as an understanding of your orders agreeing to perform a “favor”

World Map​

Spoiler :

OOC: Nice update.

Question: how do heroes arise? Are they random?

Awesome update! (Still reading)

I think my gold stat should be my ore stat and vice-versa.

Question: If i build a college, do i get to use the college prices for other buildings in the same turn?

To the Lorax

Yeah, the part where you keep asking us to kill all the humans is what we're not very keen on.

@christos: Heroes arise in extraordinary circumstances, such is when the odds are against a faction or group, but they persevere anyways.

@Immaculate: You will not receive the college prices in the turn the college is built.

@Shadowbound: Glad you caught that.

@Immaculate: You will not receive the college prices in the turn the college is built.

So you can't build a shipyard in the turn you build a college? Correct?

Correct.

118 shall be named: The 'Whites'

- Yang Kang, King of Shu

Yang Kang was more a disappointed than angry; he was able to march a large army through darkness, surprise the enemy, initially defeat the superior (in terms of numbers) militia of the Followers but then his attack was stopped by a weird nun and this was followed by a counterattack by the numerically superior Followers. He had gambled and lost.

'Victory was mine!', he thought. 'But then a damn nun appeared out of nowhere and saved them! Damn my luck! Why am I so unlucky? Why?'

As he walked to the town center, all residents gathered around him. For the first time as a King, he was going to make a public speech. Kings are sacred persons and their orders are carried through by their Ministers. But this time, Yang Kang decided it was best to talk by himself to his subjects.

"Some of you have asked that our Knights should kill themselves due to their failure in battle. I would have agreed with you, had those Knights run away from battle. But they did not. They fought hard and retreated only when victory was utterly impossible. They also distinguished themselves in the night march and the following battle. So, they should live and fight an other day for the glory of Shu! Also, now that they have battle experience, they are far more valuable. How many non - soldiers here have battle experience? None. That means that those Knights are invaluable. This battle tested them, showed their weaknesses and now they can cover those weaknesses through strict training."

This part of the speech was applauded by the Knights but also satisfied the civilian leadership, as even the most critical Ministers were forced to admit that their King was right.

"Now, let's talk on whose responsible for the defeat", the King continued. "When the soldiers fail, it is the King's fault. We had the right conditions for victory and yet I failed to defeat the enemy. I cannot continue being the King after failing my soldiers and my people, and, most of all, the parents of the soldiers who died in the failed attack. For this reason, I shall resign, give up my crown and kill myself in front of my ancestors' graves. For I have failed my ancestors!"

None of those who witnessed this scene were able to withhold their tears. Minister Cao Bi bowed before Yang Kang and shouted, "You Majesty, please take back your decision!!"

"I cannot!", Yang Kang replied. "I have failed my people. How can I face my soldiers!? How can I face my people!? How can I face the parents of those who died?! How!?"

A foot soldier came forward and said, "My King, I do not know about the others, but I still trust you despite our defeat. We were defeated only due to superior numbers and that nun. All those years, you have been a great King. The people have prospered, the state coffers have been filled with gold and you have never used even once your powers to tyrannize the people. If you kill yourself, I will also kill myself alongside you, my King!"

Immediately, all foot soldiers bowed before the King and said with one voice: "If you kill yourself, we shall also kill ourselves!"

The Knights repeated this oath.

Then, an old man came forward and said: "I am the father of one of the Knights who died during the battle. At first, I was full of grief and hatred for you. But hearing you say that you are willing to take full responsibility and kill yourself, all of my hatred has vanished. You are a King, and yet you are willing to kill yourself rather than disappoint your people. You care about each one of your subjects and you do not view us as mere servants but as your family. Please, revise your decision!"

Yang Kang, with tears in his eyes, spoke once again: "Very well. Since you want me to remain your King, I will take back my decision. I vow to either defeat the Followers or die trying! I shall not disappoint you again!"

Yang Kang's Palace

Yang Kang was in his study. Only Minister Cao Bi was present.

Yang Kang sighed and said, "Both my personal affairs and state affairs are in a terrible situation. Dong Ying married an other man and no woman has been able to fill that vacuum in my heart. At the same time, I have failed to defeat the Followers and Shu faces the prospect of total destruction! I am totally useless!"

"You should not talk like that, your Majesty", Cao Bi replied. "Attacking the Followers was a risky gamble and you should have expected the possibility of defeat."

"Indeed. You are right. It was a gamble. In history books, the great Kings of old times made even riskier gambles and yet, they were able to win against all odds. So, I thought I too could take a risky gamble and succeed. But I failed. I overestimated myself. I am not a great King it seems. And my father was right to warn me to never wage war."

"Still, even though the attack failed, the Followers were badly damaged by our soldiers. We can still win."

"Indeed. I will take another gamble. This time, this gamble has to succeed or it will be the end of my reign. Great Kings distinguish themselves during times of turmoil. Maybe I can distinguish myself during this time of trouble and war? Who knows. But I have to succeed! I cannot fail!"

To: The Shu State

To the King of Shu this evil act you committed against the followers of Orbaes was unprovoked we send a message say well would withdrew our priest yet you came trying to kill us. Many of our followers have said we should fight you to the death but I am a men who feel that that would be wasted of life for nothing. I ask that we don't make so many of our people suffer more from a pointless war.

Sincerely, Father Urgale

To: Father Urgale

I am most displeased that things have come to this and I admire your willingness to make peace. However, Kings should solve their differences on the field of battle. Let us meet on the field of battle. If you manage to defeat me, I shall willingly sing a peace treaty with you next year and compensate you with gold. However, if I defeat you, I will become your new King.

Spoiler :
Kingdom of Celestis: Seon
Leader: King Chardonis the Red, the First of his Name (Mage)
Race: Humans
Faction Trait: Adventurous
Capital: Celestis (Town; Zone 26)
Structures: None
Population: 320
Education: Basic
Gold: 7,250
Food: 400 (+350)
Water: 400 (+250)
Lumber: 50
Ore: 2,000
Magicka: 59
Weapons: 50 Crossbows
Animals and Transports: None
Soldiers: 34 Mages, Munstrum the Brown (Level 1 Mage)

Spoiler :
Trade Orders:

Buy 50 Spears with 1250 Gold.

Sell 100 ores for... 39200 Golds 0_o

Trade caravan will be guarded by 20 men with crossbows, and 4 mages. Mages will be allotted 10 magicka for whatever they deem necessary to keep the caravan safe... and merchants honest.

If Centaurs prove to be troublesome, they will also be given 10 archers as reinforcements and their magicka allotment will be increased to 15. A few fireballs and wind arrow spells should send the buggers scurrying.

Spoiler :
Construction Orders:

Build fortifications around the Kingdom of Celestis with 500 ores. Use it to make shovels to dig out moats and stick jagged metallic objects in it. Cut some stones with metal tools and put some minor walls around the city. That should keep the Centaurs at bay. Hopefully.

Spoiler :
Recruitment Orders:

Tap 30 people into Footmen with 1500 Gold and 300 Ores. Arm them with Spears that we will get from the trade.

Tap 20 people into archers with 2000 gold. Arm them with crossbows.

Spoiler :
Salvaging: Send out 100 people with axes to harvest wood from the local area. They will be guarded by 5 mages with 10 magicka allotment and 10 footmen with spears.

Send out our hero Mage on a mission to explore the unknown lands of west, 25, where the Centaurs have originated from probably. There's something magical going on there, and I would like to know if I can get a slice of it. He will be allowed 10 magicka to use as he sees fit to help explore and bring back interesting stuff from the ruins. (suggestion use it to scout ahead and detect trouble before they find you first!). He will be protected by 10 footmen with spears, 10 civillians with crossbows, 4 mages, and 40 unarmed civilians to help carry whatever he finds back.

Spoiler :
Challenge: He's a hero, and he will be treated as thus. Nonetheless, we were looking for talented young man to send out to explore the strange lands to the west, and he does seem to fit the bill... we will give him every resource to actually succeed in this endeavor, however.

Excellent update EQ!

I take it these are the guys I've been kidnapping people from? :p

Also are the food elementals essentially a static fortification or can I take them with me on expeditions, etc.?

@Grandkhan: the cornbeasts are more of a static defense.

Gumzâzahushemel will be the name of zone 2.

Salchazia will be the zone I just explored

Top Bottom