Enforcers of the Dune... what the hell.

Deon

Lt. of Mordor
I hope you guys don't mind if I start a dune-related discussion here, some more life to the forum wouldn't hurt, right? :) I just want to share some news I've found, and they are quite disturbing for me.

http://nwn.blogs.com/nwn/2009/04/enforcers-of-dune.html

Look what I've found. Those men really have no shame :).

I hope no guys like those ever get their hands on Civilization modding. But still, I see no reason to ban names from free mods and roleplaying.

I mean, in the end everything stayed the same, they just forced them to remove dune-related names, but they were ok with spice, sandworms and uniforms... I always thought that those guys get paid for nothing and their "work" mostly is the critical example of bad bureaucracy...

People who are less short-sighted realise that these kind of mods are good for business. We've had several people post around this forum that they actually bought and read the Dune books after playing this mod. We're bringing Frank Herbert's Dune to an audience who may not even have heard of it.

Also Dune is not the biggest franchise to have a mod on this forum e.g. Star Wars, Star Trek.

So, overall, I wouldn't be too concerned.

I am sure that nobody like those will appear here, however I found that fact to be quite disturbing... Also yeah, I plan to buy the book now, because I've realised how cool the world is only after watching the movie again, and i watched again because I started to play your mod ^_^.

I am sure there must be some reason why the Herbert estate picked on that particular SL group. Maybe some personal grudge from another SL group?

I read through some of the links. I guess there is nothing preventing the Herbert estate from coming after us; but one key point is how much money did we make? (none). And another key point is the numerous posts here saying like, "Oh, there is a book? I should go buy that!" or similar. So, we can easily justify that we are helping the estate.

Nothing to worry about.

Top Bottom