England - Victoria Thread

BTW, Queen Victoria ruled United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland , not England. Is this a mistake?
For a third reply, she was also the Queen of England. This also leaves Scotland (mainly) as a future faction (I doubt Wales or Ireland would sadly show up).

For a third reply, she was also the Queen of England. This also leaves Scotland (mainly) as a future faction (I doubt Wales or Ireland would sadly show up).

Yeah, I expected you to find some solution :lol: But serioiusly, I doubt Scotland will appear. The Celts are enough.

I see myself playing as England, acquiring land on other continents to have archaeological sites galore for a culture win. I know I may be in a minority, but I think I will enjoy this version of England much more than Civ V.

Yeah, I expected you to find some solution :lol: But serioiusly, I doubt Scotland will appear. The Celts are enough.

We had Vikings in several versions before we had Denmark. Scotland is unlikely, but you never know.

I see myself playing as England, acquiring land on other continents to have archaeological sites galore for a culture win. I know I may be in a minority, but I think I will enjoy this version of England much more than Civ V.

Minority? I think this version of England is much, much better and I think many people would agree with that, as well. :)

Ol' "Would you like a trade agreement with England?" Elizabeth was quite dull to play. Not to mention all the baggage that comes with Civliization 5 like global happiness and other terrible mechanics.

Yes, New England sounds like a really fun civ. :D

Not to mention all the baggage that comes with Civliization 5 like global happiness and other terrible mechanics.

Polite request that you stop saying things like this like they're fact in every post regardless of relevancy. :)

no she wasn't.

Anne was the last Queen of England.

After the union, there was never an 'English' sovereign. It was all GB until 1800's and then even that got wiped (Kingdom of GB stopped existing) before Vicky took over.

So yes, in it's current form, Vicky leads the UK not England.

This version of England is pretty neat. I could see myself using the Sea Dogs to bully the navies of rivals until they declare war on me, then take their coastal or near coastal cities with Redcoats. Then build RNDs for a glorious global economy.

It's fine and all but UK is not a name for a civilization.

I hope her voice acting is a good match for those sassy animations. She's throwing mad shade, especially the way she fans herself while subtly checking the player from head to toe.

I hope her voice acting is a good match for those sassy animations. She's throwing mad shade, especially the way she fans herself while subtly checking the player from head to toe.

Yes, I was disappointed that we didn't get to hear her voice in the First Look.

But the game is still about civilizations and not just leaders, so the name of the civilization doesn't have to be exactly what it was in the time of the leader. So Victoria, who ruled the UK represents the civilization of England (which is not the same one as other places she ruled - she also ruled India and they are a different civ).

So UK is not a civ, Britain (or GB) might have been but I think they see the Scots and Irish and Welsh etc. as belonging to a different culture, ans so to a different civ (be it Celts or any other civ or even a civ that won't exist in the game).

But the game is still about civilizations and not just leaders, so the name of the civilization doesn't have to be exactly what it was in the time of the leader. So Victoria, who ruled the UK represents the civilization of England (which is not the same one as other places she ruled - she also ruled India and they are a different civ).

So UK is not a civ, Britain (or GB) might have been but I think they see the Scots and Irish and Welsh etc. as belonging to a different culture, ans so to a different civ (be it Celts or any other civ or even a civ that won't exist in the game).

All of this is very confusing.

Today I learned England is a Civilization but not a Country (not listed in any database, the ONU lists or any other official list).

United Kingdom is a Country, but apparently not a Civilization.

And I thought Spain was complicated. :lol:

Yes, New England sounds like a really fun civ. :D

Polite request that you stop saying things like this like they're fact in every post regardless of relevancy. :)

Yes, England looks like a lot of fun.

My point was indeed relevant because global happiness was dropped like a hot potato with the newest iteration. It is a terrible mechanic and the makers of CBP and Civ VI obviously agree. :)

As to your request, I'll also politely request that you allow other people to have opinions that are contrary to your own. :)

Today I learned England is a Civilization but not a Country (not listed in any database, the ONU lists or any other official list).

In England, I was taught:

England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are all countries (= 4 countries).

Britain = England + Scotland

Great Britain = England + Scotland + Wales

United Kingdom = England + Scotland + Wales + N. Ireland is an Empire/ Union of four countries.

BTW I can see Scotland becoming fully independent (and joining the EU) very soon. I don't know what would happen to the definitions then.

I think the definition of "civilization" is up for grabs; it's argued about a lot on here.

It's not that confusing.

Imagine for a moment that the European Union becomes a unified federal country (and it's actually not that implausible as mid-term scenarios go...), with one president ruling over the 27 countries.

Spain would then cease to be a country in its own right, wouldn't it? But it would still retain its culture and history -- its civilization, if you will. In other words, there would still be a distinct Spanish culture, different from the French culture and the Italian culture, even though they all would be simple regions ruled by Germany one elected president.

On the other hand, would you say the mix of cultures and peoples that that "United States of Europe" would comprehend are part of the same civilization? (you can argue that they're all part of the Western civilization, but then you're entering another level of comparison).

What Felis is saying (as I interpret it) is that England is a different civilization -- as in, represents a different culture, people, and history -- than Scotland. The United Kingdom is a nation-state that unifies those different civilizations under the same rule.

Celts were a great civ and deserved their spot in the franchise.

Yes, and while we're at it let's give Tartars and Chechnyans their own civs outside of Russia. And Uighurs, Tibetans and Manchurians their own civs outside of China.

Jesus Christ.

It's pretty silly that Firaxis is more than happy to "balkanize" European civs to make them all special snowflakes while mostly letting the rest of the world fall under umbrellas.

Top Bottom