1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[BNW] Enjoyable Deity Games

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by Nizef, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Shark Diver

Shark Diver King

EDGE#123 - 1st 52 Turns
    Spoiler I got my first galley! :

Settled on the gems. It looks like some good early game tiles for some Wonder-mongering before it runs out of growth. I'll want a couple of coastals to feed it.

Warrior went North and found a Pottery ruin on t3. Next ruin was 70 gold, and then he found a Sailing ruin. Then he came home to handle barbs.

Scout went East and found a Culture ruin just 2 turns past optimal. He then stole a worker from Austria (quick peace) and the two slogged their way home.

Cleared a couple of barb camps with more on the way and just got a gifted Warrior. Kept a captured worker, so still haven't decided to war on my nearby CS. I think I will because I already have a Military ally if I can get some luck and keep him around.

BO: Scout, Shrine (thanks Pottery ruin), Monument, Granary, Trireme, Pyramids, Caravan (to make up for slow Libraries). I was going to go for a late Great Lighthouse but only got one turn in when it was built on t53. I chopped the Elk to help with Pyramids and to make it a 4-food tile.

I took the Tradition Opener and then the Left side of Liberty. I'm thinking this might be a Diplo game. I think I will build 3 more Settlers and then attack my CS. It'll take while so hopefully he can build some infrastructure for me. I like Gibraltar to help with Diplo GPT.

Tech Path was odd due to only getting 1 turn into researching Pottery. I then went Mining, Animal, Husbandry, Masonry, Optics. I may make a run at a late HG to compensate for the lack of a river. That should time Philosophy for right about when my expos finish their Libraries, aided by a lot of chops from my soon to be 6 uber-workers. Since I already have Optics, I'm going to consider an early run for Navigation and Observatories.

I got 3rd Pantheon thanks to early Shrine and took the obvious Tears of the Gods. One Religion has been founded across the world and took Mosques. I still feel like this is going to be a good Religion game as I'll be settling on one or two more Gems.

I sent the first Seller up to the Mountain/Lake tile and bought out to the Religious Wonder which I was able to work in 5 turns, so now I'm pumping out 11 FPT. There are some pretty good natural borders and I've got great inland defensive terrain, so this land mass should be peaceful for as long as I want it to with 2 reasonable neighbors.

I sent the Trireme South and he looped around to get to to Byzantium's land, but had to turn around because I couldn't get past her cap without Open Borders. I was rewarded with a Galley capture, and I've got another potential one sitting at my cap:

Corsair t.png

We'll see how the game develops before committing to a strategy. Right now I'm just trying to explore and get my cities up.

Nizef likes this.
  2. Nizef

Nizef King

Here is a recap of all games in the Enjoyable Deity Games Experience (EDGE) series so far:

1. Korea (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Page 1
    2. the Shoshone (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Modded with Really Advanced Setup (RAS)), Page 1
    3. America (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Page 3
    4. Denmark (Continents, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Page 3
    5. Byzantium (Fractal, Standard speed, Standard size, Modded with RAS). Page 3
    6. Germany (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Page 3
    7. Polynesia (Small Continents Plus, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Page 4
    8. Brazil (Continents, Standard speed, Large size, Modded with RAS), Page 4
    9. Mongolia (Pangaea, Epic speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Page 4
    10. Spain (Terra, Standard speed, Large size, Modded with RAS), Page 5
    11. Carthage (Continents, Standard speed, Standard size, Modded with RAS), Page 5
    12. the Aztecs (Lakes, Epic speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Page 5
    13. England (Continents, Standard speed, Standard size, Modded with RAS), Page 6
    14. Korea 2 (Small Continents, Standard speed, Standard size, Modded with RAS), Page 6
    15. Venice (Fractal, Epic speed, Standard size, Modded with RAS), Page 6
    16. Egypt (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Modded with RAS), Page 6
    17. the Huns (Oval, Standard speed, Standard size, Modded with RAS), Page 6
    18. Japan (Hellblazers Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Modded both with RAS and Hellblazers map script), Page 6
    19. China (Pangaea, Epic speed, Standard size, Modded with RAS), Page 7
    20. Babylon (Hellblazers Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Modded both with RAS and Hellblazers map script), Page 7
    21. Polynesia 2 (Hellblazers Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Modded both with RAS and Hellblazers map script), Page 7
    22. Korea 3 (Hellblazers Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Modded both with RAS and Hellblazers map script), Page 7
    23. Russia (Hellblazers Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Modded both with RAS and Hellblazers map script), Page 7
    24. Portugal (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Modded with RAS), Page 7
    25. France (Lakes, Epic speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Page 7
    26. Germany 2 (Lakes, Epic speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Page 7
    27. England 2 (Fractal, Standard speed, Standard size, Modded with RAS), Page 7
    28. Sweden (Fractal, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Page 7
    29. Arabia (Sandstorm, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Page 8
    30. the Mayans (Tectonics map, Standard speed, Standard size, Modded with both RAS and the Tectonics map template), Page 8
    31. Ethiopia (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Page 8
    32. Assyria (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Page 8
    33. Poland (Fractal, Standard speed, Standard size, Modded with RAS), Page 8
    34. India (Pangaea, Standard speed, Small size, Modded with RAS), Page 8
    35. the Aztecs 2 (Hellblazers Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Modded with Hellblazers map script), Page 8
    36. Morocco (Sandstorm, Epic speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Page 8
    37. Babylon 2 (Large Islands, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Page 8
    38. Spain 2 (Inland Sea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Page 8
    39. Greece (Fractal, Epic speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Page 8
    40. Carthage 2 (Fractal, Epic speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Page 8
    41. Indonesia (Archipelago, Epic speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Page 8
    42. the Mayans 2 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Piety challenge, Page 9
    43. Siam (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Patronage partial challenge, Page 9
    44. the Shoshone 2 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Page 9
    45. Poland 2 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Honor challenge, Page 9
    46. the Netherlands (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Liberty challenge, Page 10
    47. the Aztecs 3 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Page 10
    48. the Celts (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Page 10
    49. the Zulus (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Aesthetics challenge, Page 11
    50. Austria (Pangaea, Epic speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Page 11
    51. Persia (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Page 11
    52. the Ottomans (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Religion challenge, Page 11
    53. Rome (Fractal, Epic speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Page 11
    54. Songhai (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Page 11
    55. the Incas (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Page 11
    56. Russia 2 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Page 11
    57. India 2 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), CV challenge, Page 11
    58. Germany 3 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Page 11
    59. Byzantium 2 (Fractal, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Religion challenge, Page 11
    60. the Iroquois (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Aesthetics challenge, Page 12
    61. America 2 (Pangaea, Epic speed, Standard size, Unmodded), DomV challenge, Page 12
    62. Sweden 2 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Petra challenge, Page 12
    63. Morocco 2 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), partial Commerce challenge, Page 12
    64. England 3 (Fractal, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), partial UN challenge, Page 12
    65. Portugal 2 (Continents, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), partial elimination challenge, Page 12
    66. Egypt 2 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Page 12
    67. Polynesia 3 (Archipelago, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Page 13
    68. Sweden 3 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Page 13
    69. Germany 4 (Pangaea, Epic speed, Large size, Unmodded), War academy, part 1, DomV challenge, Page 13
    70. the Huns 2 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), War academy, part 2, Page 13
    71. Spain 3 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Huge size, Unmodded), Page 13
    72. Denmark 2 (Lakes, Standard speed, Standard size, Otherwise unmodded but Rotate Starting Position was used), Page 13
    73. Venice 2 (Fractal, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), DipV challenge, Page 13
    74. Carthage 3 (Hellblazer´s Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Modded with Hellblazer´s map script), CV challenge, Page 13
    75. China 2 (Pangaea, Epic speed, Standard size, Unmodded), War academy, part 3, DomV challenge, Page 14
    76. Mongolia 2 (Pangaea, Epic speed, Standard size, Unmodded), War academy, part 4, Page 14
    77. Brazil 2 (Pangaea, Epic speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Page 15
    78. the Shoshone 3 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Page 15
    79. Assyria 2 (Terra Incognita, Standard speed, Standard size, Otherwise unmodded but Rotate Starting Position was used), Page 15
    80. Indonesia 2 (Small Continents, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), No Liberty challenge, Page 16
    81. Portugal 3 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Page 16
    82. Japan 2 (Ice Age, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), No Order challenge, Page 16
    83. Persia 2 (Random map, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Page 16
    84. the Netherlands 2 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Page 17
    85. Denmark 3 (Tiny Islands, Standard speed, Large size, Raging Barbarians, Otherwise unmodded but Rotate Starting Position was used), Page 17
    86. America 3 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Large size, Unmodded), No Tradition challenge, Page 18
    87. the Incas 2 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Page 18
    88. Korea 4 (Pangaea, Quick speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Page 19
    89. the Ottomans 2 (Continents, Standard speed, Large size, Unmodded), Page 20
    90. Arabia 2 (Lakes, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Page 20
    91. Ethiopia 2 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Pantheon challenge, Page 21
    92. Greece 2 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Page 21
    93. France 2 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), CV challenge, Page 21
    94. Siam 2 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded),Incense challenge, Page 22
    95. Byzantium 3 (Continents, Epic speed, Large size, Unmodded), Page 22
    96. England 4 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Page 23
    97. Sweden 4 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Page 24
    98. Babylon 3 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Page 24
    99. the Zulus 2 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Large size, Unmodded), Page 24
    100. Germany 5 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), CV challenge, Page 25
    101. Brazil 3 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Page 25
    102. Austria 2 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Page 26
    103. England 5 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, modded with RAS and Acken´s balance mod), Page 27
    104. the Celts 2 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Page 27
    105. Rome 2 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Large size, Unmodded), Page 28
    106. Songhai 2 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Page 28
    107. Poland 3 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Page 29
    108. Russia 3 (Lakes, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), DomV challenge, Page 29
    109. China 3 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Page 30
    110. the Aztecs 4 (Lakes, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), DomV challenge, Page 30
    111. the Shoshone 4 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Page 32
    112. Korea 5 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Page 32
    113. the Mayans 3 (Continents, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Page 32
    114. Assyria 3 (Continents, Standard speed, Huge size, Unmodded), Partial domination challenge, Page 33
    115. Japan 3 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Page 33
    116. Egypt 3 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Page 33
    117. India 3 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Religion challenge, Page 33
    118. Germany 6 (Lakes, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), DomV challenge, Page 34
    119. the Zulus 3 (Lakes, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), DomV challenge, Page 34
    120. Carthage 4 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Page 34
    121. Ethiopia 3 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Piety and CV challenge, Page 34
    122. the Mayans 4 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), CV challenge, Page 35
    123. the Ottomans 3 (Fractal, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Page 37

The subseries MIDGE consists of:
    1. Finland (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size. Otherwise unmodded but the civ to play is Finland), Page 26
    2. The Papal States (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size. Otherwise unmodded but the civ to play is The Papal States. You also need Austria-Hungary.), Page 27
    3. Phoenisia (Continents, Standard speed, Standard size. Otherwise unmodded but the civ to play is the Phoenician civilization.), Page 27
    4. Norway (Ice Age, Standard speed, Standard size. Otherwise unmodded but the civ to play is Norway. You also need the modded civs Finland, Iceland and Scotland.), Page 29
    5. Belgium (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Otherwise unmodded but the civ to play is Belgium), Page 30

3. Shark Diver

Shark Diver King

Has anyone thought to put together a spreadsheet of all of the completed finishing times for each Challenge?

4. Nizef

Nizef King

Nope. This is the first time I read about it. In itself I don´t think it is too much work since the number of reported games is really quite limited. Some games have been downloaded nearly 100 times without a single report unfortunately...

5. Nizef

Nizef King

You sent your Trireme south and east as I did. The other direction could have been more revealing... City placement for cap and expand #1 seems to be the same in our games. Probably because they are fairly obvious.

6. Shark Diver

Shark Diver King

If I recall correctly, the old Deity Challenge Series had a spreadsheet on Google Sheets. It was pretty well done, with a lot of fun detail. I'll try to track it down over the next few days if nobody has it handy?

As you can probably tell, I enjoy the statistical comparison of games, but putting something into an "official" record might give people a reason to post results and perhaps increase the activity here. I'm pretty good at building spreadsheets but don't know diddly squat about sharing sites with the public. Hoping somebody else takes on this task, but I'll help if needed.

Yes, the other direction would have been more rewarding, but since I had good luck with Barbary Corsairs, I've got several boats and a scout out making up for lost time. I can see why you found this map fun. I haven't fully explored it, but the variety is interesting. One thought was that with the interesting topography, the Archeologist part of the game will likely be easier, which will help with theming my 6 future Museums.

Another interesting aspect of most Fractal games is that it is harder for other Civs getting on a roll. In this game, all of the demos are much more balanced than normal. I'll post my t100 update soon, but just wanted to put a word in support of the occasional Fractal map for the sake of variety and also for the opportunity to explore different paths.

7. Nizef

Nizef King

I knew that such a spreadsheet existed but have no further clue on the subject. However, I am all for a spreadsheet like that for the EDGE series as well.

8. Nizef

Nizef King

Yes, also my game started out surprisingly even. The light yellow guy picked up the tech pace around t100-150 in my game and for a while I was even afraid that he would snowball. Surprisingly he just sat still and made it possible to catch him by bribing him to unconclusive wars.

9. Nizef

Nizef King

EDGE#124: Sometimes a detour is faster than the highway (CV challenge)

This game will probably be remembered as one of the easiest tasks in the entire thread. Furthermore I took the first roll and just started playing. Thus I can already now present this game on these pages. Those who are looking for fast finishing times could get what they want. Based on my own game, I would not be surprised to see finishing times in the low 200s or even below!

As suggested we play as the Aztecs, this time on their "home turf", an unmodded Lakes map with Standard size and Standard speed. QC and QM are turned on and all VCs are enabled as usual. The designed VC is CV, preferably assisted by some strategic conquests. It took me to t284 to finish myself but I made a total mess of the last 30 turns and should in all honesty have won around t270. However, as I many times play too fast, my concentration let me down at the end and I made some silly mistakes. But the whole game was just so easy that I suspect that better players will just slaughter this one. As an example I beelined Machinery before Education and still I was able to build Sistine and Uffizi. Obviously you will also make the best of the arguably best UB in the game. I must say I really love Floating Gardens and would like every civ to have them. :) Anyway, if you do not enjoy this one, then you are probably bored with the whole game! Have a good one!

I played according to HOF rules and also submitted my game. There is a short recap of it behind the spoiler.

Spoiler :

SIP. BO: Scoutx2, Shrine, Settler, Floating Garden, Settler. I settled Uluru with my first expand and forwardsettled Pacal with my second. Floating Gardens before Libraries and third religion with EM/Tithe/Pagodas/RC/IP (which is pretty much my preferred mix of beliefs). NC on t73 and I got the idea to beeline for Machinery to take out Pacal early. I reached XBs on t93 and immidiately went for Palenque. It had only a battlestrength 29 and fell in a few turns. Pacal had already built 3 wonders for me. What a nice guy!

Education on t115 and then I went via Chivalry to Acoustics and hard built Sistine. LToP and GT went too soon however. I continued by building Uffizi and entered Industrial on t159. I took Industrialization first and only went for Archeology after that. I had instant Coal and even by hard building two Factories, I was first to choose Ideology and took Freedom. Polynesia came to visit me with 20 units or so but they were mostly outdated and they only managed to pillage two tiles while losing 15+ units in the process. Brazil and England followed on the Freedom path while Polynesia opted for Authocracy and wanted to war anybody just for the work out. Pacacuti beat up Elizabeth quite badly. He got Nottingham in a peace deal and that suited me fine: now I had a direct border to the Incas for my future GMus. Washington chose Order but we stayed BFF despite differing Ideologies. In the meantime I managed 10 AS and that was enough to fill the slots I had planned for. I was also able to rush Louvre and hard build Eiffel.

With the hard work already done, my focus dissappeared and thus my science game did not get the attention it would have required. Instead I decided to teach Polynesia a lesson and together with Washy we took 3 cities from them. After that he cooled down and accepted his fate. The GMu bombing was a little bit trickier because Spain, the Incas, Brazil and Polynesia all needed one GMu. It was a logistical nightmare and I messed around before getting to grips with it. Very easy win on t284 but in all honesty I should have shaved off about 15 turns with better tech focus and GMu logistics. Anyway, my win was clear already when I secured Louvre, Eiffel and 10 AS. Had I not gone for the late war, I could have shaved off additional turns. But all in all this was an easy and entertaining journey after the clearly more demanding #121, #122 and #123. SP: full Tradition, full Aestethics, Exploration opener, full Rationalism and Freedom 6.

Attached Files:

JeffreyLXV likes this.
  10. vadalaz

vadalaz Emperor

To T100 in #123

Spoiler :
    After game #89 my default play with the Ottomans is to go for an Honor DomV and upgrade Warriors all the way up to Infantry, grabbing Janissary promotions along the way.

Cap BO: Scout - Scout - Monument - Settler, have to secure Mt Kailash quickly here. Then Granary - Caravan to send food to Kailash and grow the cap to size 5, then two more Settlers. One for the Cocoa spot, another to forward-settle Maria Theresa.

20210108094239_1.jpg

Stole 2 workers from Austria and Byzantium each, plus one from a barb camp next to Budapest. Didn't return that worker because Budapest is a hostile militaristic CS with a lux I can get from Ur anyway. Tradition opener into Honor, right side first for culture and happiness.

I attacked Theodora first and she put up a good fight with her stupid UUs, so I chose to get some gold from her in a peace deal, something like 150g and 28gpt. I needed the gold anyway, as I had to buy a library in my 5th city that I planted by the Pearls.

Vienna wasn't difficult to capture. I planted a citadel right next to the city to speed up the process as my second GG had just spawned. I also took Graz in a peace deal because Maria didn't have anything else, then sold it to Ashur for 9 gpt, which he apparently paid me just for the opportunity to raze the city.

Still haven't found the time to build ships for scouting, research is slow, happiness is an issue and I have no faith generation. Not the greatest start, but things should improve after I take Constantinople. I think I should bribe Theodora to declare war on Austria, maybe she'll actually move her units to attack now that Maria's basically defenseless. If I'm lucky, Theodora takes Salzburg while I snipe Constantinople, and then I can liberate Salzburg for style points.

20210108135607_1.jpg

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
    Nizef likes this.
  11. Shark Diver

Shark Diver King

You and I took very different approaches to this one. Will be interesting to see how this plays out. I'll post a t100 update shortly.

12. Shark Diver

Shark Diver King

EDGE#123 - T100 Update
    Spoiler Nothing too exciting :

I founded the Holy Order of Shark Diving on t60 as the 3rd religion and enhanced on t87. If I go into Piety, it'll be for Glory to God and late game Wonders.

Religion t87.png

Exploration is going well and I've met everyone relatively early. Trading is going well, so happiness is now solved now that I've got my roads up. The world is not a happy place, and there's war on my continent and elsewhere. I'm staying out of it for now:

Diplo t100.png

HG went early, so I diverted back to Philosophy. I built Oracle and will have a late t107 NC. I used the Liberty finisher for a planted Scientist to make up for the slow tech start. The Cap is going to need Cargo Ships soon. I've got Corsairs to protect trade routes, so that's a nice Ottoman bonus.

Cap t100.png

I'm not sure which Social Policy direction I'll go in next. Piety, Patronage, and Aesthetics all have an argument, but I'm tempted to go Exploration since I have 5 Coastals and for some variety. I've got to decide in 3-4 turns, but don't have a feel for which direction this game is going to go yet. I may just take Piety as a default plan to get my Shrines and Temples up quicker, but Faith isn't really an issue right now.

Sp t100.png

I should reach education a bit late around t115. From there, I'm thinking beelining Banking and/or Astronomy. 3 Observatories should take care of low science, but not sure when to make that move. I was thinking about going Diplo, hence the Banking thought, but haven't met many CS yet, so that makes that a challenge. I'll let the gameflow decide tech path, but since there are no apparent runaways, I may go with a more traditional (for me) approach and look to grab some Renaissance Wonders.

All cities are starting to be effective thanks to Pyramid powered Workers (please don't make fun of my city names, as I do that for entertainment but also as a better reference for myself). This should be a decent production and faith empire.

Demos t100.png Econ t100.png Empire t100.png

No predictions as I don't have a feel for the direction of this game yet.

13. Shark Diver

Shark Diver King

Spoiler Update to my t100 Update :

I had mentioned I had some thoughts about going Diplo. I then took a closer look at the game and realized some of the strongest Diplo Civs in the entire game are in this game. I also realized I was winning both Faith and Culture (I've got 2 Cultural allies) quests, so I'm immediately switching strategies and going for a CV. None of the AI are off to a good start and I might even be able to steal some Renaissance Wonders and also control World Congress. I don't regret the 2 Policies from Exploration as that +3 hammers in 5 of my cities came just in time for Workshops and Unis. I might even have somewhat timely Guilds, or maybe just about 10 turns late.

Screen Shot 2021-01-08 at 6.15.23 PM.png

Unlike Nizef's game, the AI is not competing in religion very hard, and I might go steal an Arabian Prophet to spread some more Faith buildings to my empire. I'll definitely do it if he reforms with Sacred Sites, given that he has 2 Faith buildings. Also unlike Nizef's game, my nice neighbors on our land mass have been warring pretty hard with Austria losing one of her 3 cities in a peace deal. I'm friends with Byzantium but not Austria, so this is fine with me. More resources to trade for.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
    Nizef likes this.
  14. Nizef

Nizef King

Interesting that I could not get the ladies to fight at all until the midgame and even then I would have had to pay ridiculous amounts.

15. Shark Diver

Shark Diver King

What happened in my game was that Alex and Theodora DoW'd Austria very early. My assumption was that he was the instigator. Of course, since I had a few Galleys laying around, I blocked the narrow stretch connecting our continents, so he couldn't join in the fun and settle on our side. The peace deal gave Theodora a city, so now there's permanent animosity. That probably also contributed to the AI not doing as well in other areas.

16. JeffreyLXV

JeffreyLXV Chieftain

Terrific, thanks.

Meanwhile, I lost "48. the Celts" to Ahmad al-Mansur who launched before me. Nice map with some isolation. The A.I. seeing and grabbing all the coal may have slowed me down too much.

Religion doesn't seem worth great effort since many A.I.'s generate so much faith as the game progresses that the player's religion can't be relied upon.

Anyway, browsing for another game.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
    Nizef likes this.
  17. vadalaz

vadalaz Emperor

Finished #123 with a T228 DomV

Spoiler :
    I bribed Theodora to attack Maria, and sure enough, Salzburg fell in 4 or 5 turns and Austria was out of the game. The problem was that it was Panama City that took Salzburg and Theodora didn't move her units at all. Salzburg got razed and I wasn't in position to liberate it in time. And Theodora got no hate from other AIs for killing off a civ.

Then I start the siege of Constantinople, double-citadel my way in and farm XP to get some Range and Logistics CBs. I'll upgrade those to XBs after I take Constantinople and move on to Adrianople. I brought Byzantium's last city down to 0 HP and I was hoping that my ally Ur would capture the city, so that I could avoid AI hate. Unfortunately Ur showed absolute incompetence and I had to take Adrianople myself, eliminating an AI, causing everyone else to hate me. Apparently I also broke some promise I made to Maria Theresa, though I don't even remember making any promises. Whatever.

Spoiler T150 :
    20210110085801_1.jpg
    Keeping all my expos at pop 10 because I went Aristocracy after finishing Honor. Growing them further seemed unnecessary, and I just microed the cities to pick 10 best tiles to work depending on my needs - production when I'm spamming units, science when I'm bringing up the GS bulb value, gpt when I'm bribing AIs etc.

The midgame from turn 150 to about turn 180 was rough. I was DoWed by everyone, which normally I wouldn't really care about, but in this game there were three factors that made this really annoying:

1) I had little to no fleet as I focused on land units. On this map it would've been good to capitalize on the Ottomans' UA and amass a huge fleet, but sometimes (in domination games especially) I get this tunnel vision and focus on one thing only. In this case, getting well-promoted XBs and Janissaries. Weak navy resulted in my trade routes getting pillaged, and I also lost a few units to Alex's Frigates that showed up near Assur for whatever reason

2) Four religions had been founded by turn 50, and I got the last one with no happiness beliefs. Didn't bother spreading it and planted my 300 faith Prophet, so all I really got from religion was +15% production in my capital and like 5 gpt from Tithe. Poor faith generation too - I should've probably gotten Temples up everywhere, but again I prioritized other things

3) Explored the other continents really late, so by the time I found most of the city-states, they all had allies with 100+ influence. And then those allies chain-DoW me, so I get no happiness or culture or faith or anything from CSs. My only ally in the game for like 200 turns was Ur

At some point I was at -21 happiness and -130 gpt, but I knew I had a good enough empire to recover. Things improved greatly when I'd finally taken Assur and Athens, and other AIs accepted peace:

Spoiler T200 :
    20210110092520_1.jpg
    Moved all my troops to the west, demanding tribute from every CS along the way. First army went on to take Carthage and liberate Utique, ressurecting Dido. Harun liked this so much he offered me a DoF, which I happily accepted to sell him all my excess luxuries and strategics. The fact that my second army was already disembarking on his shore didn't seem to bother him at all.

Taking Mecca and London was trivial. Elizabeth didn't have too many units next to her capital, and whatever Harun had I could just one-shot with my Great War Infantry. Got one of those guys to level 8 and another one was a few XP away from that as well. Not sure if I really needed to go Cover II first with these units. Maybe getting Blitz ASAP is the right play.

Spoiler T228 :
    20210109224450_1.jpg

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
    Shark Diver likes this.
  18. Nizef

Nizef King

Well played! In a way I am happy that #123 gave you some sort of challenge, even the slightest one. Given the geography, Ur was my only ally as well. Austria didn´t do well in any of the games (Shark, you, me) and in all honesty their starting position was probably a little too rough for the AI to handle. I also noticed that Alex started a city next to Istanbul in your game. I would have been so annoyed, and to prevent that, I had a worker occupying that exact tile for a couple of thousand years.

What about Assyria? Did they get their science going in your game?

19. vadalaz

vadalaz Emperor

Usually I don't mind such AI cities. I knew this one would eventually grow its borders to the Cattle tile though, and that would break my road connections, so I planted a citadel there to prevent that.

As for AI performances in my game,

Byzantium: went Piety-Tradition, managed to quickly get 100+ influence on several CSs on her continent, had a pretty strong start with a good army, Colossus, Great Mosque and quick religion with Mosques and Jesuit Education

Austria: went Piety, didn't do anything other than getting a fast religion. Embarrassingly got eliminated by a city-state

Assyria: Tradition-Honor, good early game with HG, Petra and Machu Picchu. Then Ashur just stayed on his continent and didn't really do much though. Had a lot of units for me to chew through

Greece: it's Alex on a Salt start going Tradition-Patronage, so he did very well. Great Library, Oracle, Temple of Artemis, Great Wall, Hagia Sophia, Terracota Army and Parthenon all by turn 100, first to Renaissance, tech leader the whole game, 13 cities including 29-pop Athens, 28-pop Sparta and eight cities above 10 pop around turn 195, big army. Not too many CS allies though. Those were split pretty evenly between England, Arabia and Greece.

Arabia: Piety-Patronage, got Chichen Itza, LToP and Globe Theatre. Had low population and like 20 one-shottable Camel Archers when I arrived around turn 220, so I wouldn't call this a good performance

England: Tradition-Patronage-Aesthetics. Typical of Elizabeth, she just sat around doing nothing but denouncing everyone and building her UUs. Stonehenge, Mausoleum, Borobudur, Uffizi, Red Fort

Carthage: Honor-Piety... built Great Lighthouse and Statue of Zeus, got crushed by Greece, not much else to say really

20. Shark Diver

Shark Diver King

You went to war with Byzantium about 15 turns earlier than I did. I wanted to use Janissaries, and it took me awhile to get the gold to upgrade my Warriors while I was building X-bows. Janissaries, with Pyramids-enhanced workers can last quite awhile while salvaging my GPT issues.

Not sure how much of a fleet is possible on this map at that stage, given the lack or iron. I had to trade for some just to get my melee upgrades done. (I was trading 5 for some Marble and had to renew that to maintain happiness). When I went to war, I had only 3 Galleys defending my coasts.

I'll be finishing up this evening and I don't think I'll be beating your win time even though my AI's appear to have played worse than yours.