1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[BNW] Enjoyable Deity Games

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by Nizef, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Shark Diver

Shark Diver King

Since I haven't figured out this interface yet, I'm going back to the old school cut-and-paste quote response here:

"Your write-ups are just excellent and it is pure joy to read them. Thank you!"

Thank you for the encouragement. The write-ups actually help me with the gameplay as I'm forced to iterate a strategy. Plus, I enjoy the storytelling.

"To be honest, I knew that Piety might work but your finishing time just blew me away! I think that other skilled players (of those now active), like Tiberiu and TMNTurtle will have it all to do, if they are to beat your finishing time! Maybe vadalaz could beat you, if he finds the time to try."

I hope I have thrown down the proverbial gauntlet and other skilled players will get more involved. As I made very obvious, the scenario you gave us for #121 has really interesting potential. I'd be surprised if someone didn't beat my time. I'm aware that there are several Civ5 players still lurking around here that are better than me........hoping to entice them to get active again with a bit of spirit of competition.

"I found the following description of the Long Count bonus: "The Long Count begins when the game does, and triggers at predictable turns, every 394 years in-game: Turn 62, 72, 86, 101, 117, 133, 152, 183, and 234." This goes for games on standard speed."

Now I need to do some homework. My understanding was that the Long Count begins once Pacal reaches Theology. If it's changed, or if I'm wrong, I'd like to find out before I get deeper into this game. To be honest, I've not figured out a strategy for how to order the GP's in a normal game, but this game won't be normal, so I'll just figure it out as I go.

"I will be bold and suggest some other games that might be of interest to you, because they are more culture oriented: EDGE#42, #59, #93, #100, #101 and as a joker also #105."

Just wrote those down for future endeavors. My gaming time is really sporadic (I'm on a bit of a binge right now if you can't tell), but I'll make time for something interesting.

It's a lot of work to provide interesting games like this, so please accept my compliments. Keep em coming.

2. Nizef

Nizef King

I made a test run just to make sure. I got Theology on t79 and my first GP spawned on t86 at the beginning of the sixth baktun and my second on t101 at the beginning of the seventh baktun. If I were to reach Theology on t90 for example, my first GP would be available on t101. So the information I shared, seems to be correct.

TMNTurtle likes this.
  3. Shark Diver

Shark Diver King

Your logic seems sound to me. For some reason, I was under the impression that the clock doesn't start ticking until you reach Theology. The last few Maya games I've played, I've made mistakes on the GP timing. I'm going to go hunt around for tips on how to handle these important GP decisions. This game, I suspect a General might be in order for the first one.

4. Nizef

Nizef King

Here is a recap of all games in the Enjoyable Deity Games Experience (EDGE) series so far:

1. Korea (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded)
    2. the Shoshone (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Modded with Really Advanced Setup (RAS))
    3. America (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded)
    4. Denmark (Continents, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded)
    5. Byzantium (Fractal, Standard speed, Standard size, Modded with RAS)
    6. Germany (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded)
    7. Polynesia (Small Continents Plus, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded)
    8. Brazil (Continents, Standard speed, Large size, Modded with RAS)
    9. Mongolia (Pangaea, Epic speed, Standard size, Unmodded)
    10. Spain (Terra, Standard speed, Large size, Modded with RAS)
    11. Carthage (Continents, Standard speed, Standard size, Modded with RAS)
    12. the Aztecs (Lakes, Epic speed, Standard size, Unmodded)
    13. England (Continents, Standard speed, Standard size, Modded with RAS)
    14. Korea 2 (Small Continents, Standard speed, Standard size, Modded with RAS)
    15. Venice (Fractal, Epic speed, Standard size, Modded with RAS)
    16. Egypt (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Modded with RAS)
    17. the Huns (Oval, Standard speed, Standard size, Modded with RAS)
    18. Japan (Hellblazers Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Modded both with RAS and Hellblazers map script)
    19. China (Pangaea, Epic speed, Standard size, Modded with RAS)
    20. Babylon (Hellblazers Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Modded both with RAS and Hellblazers map script)
    21. Polynesia 2 (Hellblazers Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Modded both with RAS and Hellblazers map script)
    22. Korea 3 (Hellblazers Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Modded both with RAS and Hellblazers map script)
    23. Russia (Hellblazers Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Modded both with RAS and Hellblazers map script)
    24. Portugal (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Modded with RAS)
    25. France (Lakes, Epic speed, Standard size, Unmodded)
    26. Germany 2 (Lakes, Epic speed, Standard size, Unmodded)
    27. England 2 (Fractal, Standard speed, Standard size, Modded with RAS)
    28. Sweden (Fractal, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded)
    29. Arabia (Sandstorm, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded)
    30. the Mayans (Tectonics map, Standard speed, Standard size, Modded with both RAS and the Tectonics map template)
    31. Ethiopia (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded)
    32. Assyria (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded)
    33. Poland (Fractal, Standard speed, Standard size, Modded with RAS)
    34. India (Pangaea, Standard speed, Small size, Modded with RAS)
    35. the Aztecs 2 (Hellblazers Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Modded with Hellblazers map script)
    36. Morocco (Sandstorm, Epic speed, Standard size, Unmodded)
    37. Babylon 2 (Large Islands, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded)
    38. Spain 2 (Inland Sea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded)
    39. Greece (Fractal, Epic speed, Standard size, Unmodded)
    40. Carthage 2 (Fractal, Epic speed, Standard size, Unmodded)
    41. Indonesia (Archipelago, Epic speed, Standard size, Unmodded)
    42. the Mayans 2 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Piety challenge
    43. Siam (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Patronage partial challenge
    44. the Shoshone 2 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded)
    45. Poland 2 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Honor challenge
    46. the Netherlands (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Liberty challenge
    47. the Aztecs 3 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded)
    48. the Celts (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded)
    49. the Zulus (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Aesthetics challenge
    50. Austria (Pangaea, Epic speed, Standard size, Unmodded)
    51. Persia (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded)
    52. the Ottomans (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Religion challenge
    53. Rome (Fractal, Epic speed, Standard size, Unmodded)
    54. Songhai (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded)
    55. the Incas (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded)
    56. Russia 2 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded)
    57. India 2 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), CV challenge
    58. Germany 3 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded)
    59. Byzantium 2 (Fractal, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Religion challenge
    60. the Iroquois (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Aesthetics challenge
    61. America 2 (Pangaea, Epic speed, Standard size, Unmodded), DomV challenge
    62. Sweden 2 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Petra challenge
    63. Morocco 2 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), partial Commerce challenge
    64. England 3 (Fractal, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), partial UN challenge
    65. Portugal 2 (Continents, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), partial elimination challenge
    66. Egypt 2 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded)
    67. Polynesia 3 (Archipelago, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded)
    68. Sweden 3 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded)
    69. Germany 4 (Pangaea, Epic speed, Large size, Unmodded), War academy, part 1, DomV challenge
    70. the Huns 2 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), War academy, part 2
    71. Spain 3 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Huge size, Unmodded)
    72. Denmark 2 (Lakes, Standard speed, Standard size, Otherwise unmodded but Rotate Starting Position was used)
    73. Venice 2 (Fractal, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), DipV challenge
    74. Carthage 3 (Hellblazer´s Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Modded with Hellblazer´s map script), CV challenge
    75. China 2 (Pangaea, Epic speed, Standard size, Unmodded), War academy, part 3, DomV challenge
    76. Mongolia 2 (Pangaea, Epic speed, Standard size, Unmodded), War academy, part 4
    77. Brazil 2 (Pangaea, Epic speed, Standard size, Unmodded)
    78. the Shoshone 3 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded)
    79. Assyria 2 (Terra Incognita, Standard speed, Standard size, Otherwise unmodded but Rotate Starting Position was used)
    80. Indonesia 2 (Small Continents, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), No Liberty challenge
    81. Portugal 3 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded)
    82. Japan 2 (Ice Age, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), No Order challenge
    83. Persia 2 (Random map, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded)
    84. the Netherlands 2 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded)
    85. Denmark 3 (Tiny Islands, Standard speed, Large size, Raging Barbarians, Otherwise unmodded but Rotate Starting Position was used)
    86. America 3 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Large size, Unmodded), No Tradition challenge
    87. the Incas 2 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded)
    88. Korea 4 (Pangaea, Quick speed, Standard size, Unmodded)
    89. the Ottomans 2 (Continents, Standard speed, Large size, Unmodded)
    90. Arabia 2 (Lakes, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded)
    91. Ethiopia 2 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Pantheon challenge
    92. Greece 2 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded)
    93. France 2 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), CV challenge
    94. Siam 2 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded),Incense challenge
    95. Byzantium 3 (Continents, Epic speed, Large size, Unmodded)
    96. England 4 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded)
    97. Sweden 4 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded)
    98. Babylon 3 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded)
    99. the Zulus 2 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Large size, Unmodded)
    100. Germany 5 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), CV challenge
    101. Brazil 3 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded)
    102. Austria 2 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded)
    103. England 5 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, modded with RAS and Acken´s balance mod)
    104. the Celts 2 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded)
    105. Rome 2 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Large size, Unmodded)
    106. Songhai 2 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded)
    107. Poland 3 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded)
    108. Russia 3 (Lakes, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), DomV challenge
    109. China 3 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded)
    110. the Aztecs 4 (Lakes, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), DomV challenge
    111. the Shoshone 4 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded)
    112. Korea 5 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded)
    113. the Mayans 3 (Continents, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded)
    114. Assyria 3 (Continents, Standard speed, Huge size, Unmodded), Partial domination challenge
    115. Japan 3 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded)
    116. Egypt 3 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded)
    117. India 3 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Religion challenge
    118. Germany 6 (Lakes, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), DomV challenge
    119. the Zulus 3 (Lakes, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), DomV challenge
    120. Carthage 4 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded)
    121. Ethiopia 3 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Piety and CV challenge
    122. the Mayans 4 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), CV challenge

The subseries MIDGE consists of:
    1. Finland (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size. Otherwise unmodded but the civ to play is Finland)
    2. The Papal States (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size. Otherwise unmodded but the civ to play is The Papal States. You also need Austria-Hungary.)
    3. Phoenisia (Continents, Standard speed, Standard size. Otherwise unmodded but the civ to play is the Phoenician civilization.)
    4. Norway (Ice Age, Standard speed, Standard size. Otherwise unmodded but the civ to play is Norway. You also need the modded civs Finland, Iceland and Scotland.)
    5. Belgium (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Otherwise unmodded but the civ to play is Belgium)

JeffreyLXV likes this.
  5. Shark Diver

Shark Diver King

EDGE#122 - T86 Update

Spoiler Playing outside the box..... :

My spearman has been harvesting free workers from Mongolia and leveling up. I've grabbed so many workers (and 1 Settler) that I've already sold 3, which really helped with my weak gold start. Spearman already has Cover 2.

My Scout has cleared 2 nice Barb camps, getting 2 valuable Cultural friendships and 2 Military allies (they'd give me a Catapult and a Chariot on ~t75, with more coming. The Scout also stumbled upon a late ruin and got a very much needed 60 Faith:

60 Faith t29.png

Here's me blocking Genghis from stealing my first Expo location with my Spearman and his former Worker. I'll trade my worker for his Settler, but he doesn't take the bait. I delayed settlers for Wonders.

Settler Block t42.png

I hit Theology on ~t78 and got my first Long Count GP on t86. Tough decision here:
    • I should build Great Mosk of Jeannie, which will give me 2 GE points with an early Garden. I really want a naturally spawned GE for the Renaissance Wonders and should be able to get one at 200 GE Points if I take the Great Prophet to enhance (I've already founded the Holy Order of Shark Diving and took Cathedrals/Tithe and am hoping for Production follower belief), but I've got a good shot at building Hag Sophia and can enhance with that or do so naturally now that I've got my Temples almost up.
    • I also have 2 CS quests for a Great Admiral, which would be awesome for exploration (if I can keep him alive by ending turns in deep water). That would get me a 100 GE Point Engineer and then I can take a Scientist and plant him with the next Long Count. Sounds a bit greedy.
    • Because I already have a GA from Parthenon, I could take another GA and put it in my Palace for an early 4 Tourism. Monte has a good Cultural start so this may be important. This will also allow me to spawn the natural GE and then use the next Long Count for a planted scientist.
    I went with option #3.

My Capital is cranking out every Wonder it wants. I can't remember the last time I built Parthenon, so it'll be interesting to see how the early tourism helps. 5-turn build for a t86 NC, and I'm about to build Great Mosk of Jeannie.

Cap t86.png

Here's my empire. Both Expos came a bit later than expected, but my collection of enslaved Workers has both up and running pretty well. They'll be sending Cargo Ships to each other shortly, as the Cap isn't going to need any help for the foreseeable future. I'm satisfied with my city placement. I think there's room for a 4th further West, but that'll put me in an aggressive Kammy's face.

Econ t86.png Empire t86.png

I'm finishing Construction next turn, and will try to take the Mongolian Cap as my 4th city with a Comp Bow rush. I think I'll need to build a 1-2 turn Catapult to make this work. I'll have my 1st General in a few turns and that Cover 2 spear should come in handy.

The rest of the world is not a happy place. Kammy took out Brazil's Cap early and Demo leader Monte just DoW'd England. Meanwhile, Sweden failed to launch and Incas seem to have all the room in the world to expand with some good Terrace Farm locations if the AI ever figures out how to use those properly. Incas could be a late game threat.

Demos t86.png

I'll be finishing Construction next turn, and then I'll upgrade my 3 Atlantists and begin the assault. It looks like Genghis settled a 3rd city to the East, so I'll take his cap, raze city #2, then leave him alive as a feeble trading partner and block for Monte. He was nice enough to build Pyramids for me, probably inspired by all of his workers being employed in my lands.

The plan then is to maybe divert for Machu, but definitely beeline Education then off to Printing Press. Will build a Cargo Ship and send it to Kammy for a science/gold boost, and then the two coastals can feed each other hammers after Workshops.

Prediction: too soon to tell, but this has a chance to be a pretty strong game. I'll set a goal to finish a CV by t220, but Monte may have something to say about that.

Edit to add: Karakorum falls easily on t93 without any losses. He had no buildings built, but 3 Wonders (no wonder he had no units). Those Writer slots may come in handy if I decide for some late game conquest (looking at you Incas as Kammy just gave me DoF).

Screen Shot 2021-01-03 at 12.48.17 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-01-03 at 12.48.49 PM.png

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
  6. Shark Diver

Shark Diver King

This was helpful. Thank you.

7. Shark Diver

Shark Diver King

EDGE#122 - T148 Update

Spoiler All The Wonders Are Mine :

After dealing with 10 turns of unhappiness after taking Karakorum, it was time to settle down and build infrastructure. My cities don't have very many good tiles to work, so Artemis is really carrying a lot of weight driving pop growth.

Since we're going for CV, the Renaisance Era Wonders are pretty important for both Culture generation to blast through Rationalism/Aesthetics/Ideology and also for the earlier theming, which fits with my early Tourism strategy.

I didn't get Hag Sophia, so I enhanced naturally with over 400 faith before the Prophet spawned. Reformation came shortly thereafter. Jesuit Education was gone, and I would have considered that given the relatively weak production of my expos. I took Sacred Sites to compliment my early Tourism. An extra 8 early Tourism will shave a lot of turns later on. I don't think I'll ever win a Faith quest, but I should be able to get up to 60 FPT, so Glory to God wasn't an option, even though it could be over-powered combined with Mayans' UA if you have strong Faith. I haven't even had time to build Grand Temple yet, but will prioritize that soon.

Religion t148.png

The whole world is a very angry place. The only people who like me are my ally Kammy, and Monte (who hates everyone else). This has made trading difficult, and my empire is so Gold and Resource poor, It's been a struggle to maintain happiness and satisfy CS requests. I'm slowly making progress with CS now that I've got a spy.

England sent a brand new Prophet to my lands (my scout was in her Cap when it spawned and I tracked it as it meandered towards my cities), so I asked the very eager Monte to War her with me and I planted the Prophet (it cost me a Scout, but that's a pretty good tradeoff). This is a good era for Liz to be at war, so I'm hoping she can hold her own. It's also tough terrain between them. Problem is, Monte has no coastal cities, so SoL's won't really be a factor.. Indeed, 30 turns later, York has flipped back and forth several times.

York t148.png

Kammy had told me that the Incans were sending an army my direction, so I also got Monte to war with them. The downside of that is that Kammy doesn't like the Incans and he might be able to roll through them if they are on a 2-front war and I don't want to deal with 2 runaways. I want the Incans to stay alive and strong, even if they don't like me much. The diplo situation will be important. On the bright side, this is pretty much just a 4 Civ game at this point, as Sweden and Brazil have been eliminated, and England and Mongolia are down to 1-2 cities. I'm vulnerable on the coasts if Kammy ever gets mad at me, and the Incas can threaten my southern flank due to their mountaineering, but Monte can't really reach me at all. Monte is pretty strong, and I've got some concerns about him beating me in WF and IG.

Demos t148.png

I did get the 100 point GE and bulbed it on Alhambra. That 20% Culture boost is a nice luxury, as I normally don't get that Wonder, and I'm now over 100 CPT. Since I was first to Printing Press, I hard built Pisa, used the GE for Globe, and that overflow helped me build a relatively quick Sistine. I'm now up to 8 Wonders in my cap and 3 in Karakorum. I need to focus on CS really hard, as I need to propose Cultural Heritage Sites next, and then IG on the 3rd Congress. I absolutely MUST control the Congress this game. Here's the cap, after a very successful Renaissance Era Wonder-building mission.

Cap t148.png

Growth has stagnated in my cap, even with Artemis, and the expos are all out of good tiles to work. The added benefit of this was that I could work the Scientist slots early. Karakorum took forever to get up and running as having no buildings upon capture meant I had to start from scratch, and I just recently got a hammer caravan to them. It'll be my 2nd best city late game, but it's still playing catchup. It'll be awhile before I can work Musician's Guild, and I may put it in Karakorum once it's a few pop bigger. I won't really grow much more until Ideologies. The cap was great at early growth and production, but is working too many mines to get much bigger for now.

Empire t148.png Econ t148.png

The early Tourism has me up to 10.7% influential with Monte. He still has me by about 1200 total Culture, but I should win the rest of the Culture quests going forward now. I've got no control over my Golden Ages and likely will need all GA's for theming bonuses, so this will slow me down in Social Policies in the next phase.

Culture t248.png

I opened up Rationalism about 6 turns after hitting Renaissance, so not too bad. This has been a pretty strong Culture game and it'll snowball from here. There are several more Cultural CS I can get allied with as well. The path from here is to get as much into Rationalism as I can prior to Ideologies, then rush through Aesthetics and ideology to maximize theming bonuses.

SP t148.png

Tech has been a strong point, even if the Demos don't reflect that. I used my 2nd Long Count bonus on a Scientist (right after the GE spawned) and planted it, which is a nice early bonus. Karakorum will have its Uni up shortly and should be able to work slots. I diverted to get Astronomy for the tasty Observatory in my cap, and now am beelining for Radio. I've still got the Long Count GE in reserve and will use it on one of those Wonders.

Tech t148.png

I had 3 CS quests for a Great Admiral, so used the 3rd Long Count bonus on one. There's another Natural Wonder hiding somewhere off the main continent, and Admiral Nelson should find it first being so early to deep water. The 4th was used on a GW.

There's a chance I can get to a Golden Age just in time for WF, so winning that is my near-term priority. After that, I'll be turtling and building science and culture buildings. No chance I'll ever have enough money to buy any production buildings, but Hydro Plants won't exist in my empire so that'll save time.

Prediction: it all depends on if Monte keeps getting bigger or not. If he stays near his current size, I can maybe pull off a quicker CV, but this game might be a slog due to the city size limitations. t220 victory is still possible, but it'll take some good breaks going forward. Maybe the CS can carry me now that I'm starting to control that aspect.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
    Tiberiu likes this.
  8. Tiberiu

Tiberiu Warlord

Hi guys! Nice activity on this thread! I was curious to try edge 122 with Maya and completed the challange.

Spoiler :
    I haven't played for a while but I figured it will be easier to micromanage 3 cities and I played faster than my normal pace, just staying peacefully and with a small army and focusing on growing the empire.

The start location was weaker than other Edge games I played so I am content with how my turn 100 looked like. I stole 3 workers from Mongolia and one from Bucharest so the early game went smooth. Because I had enough workers I skipped Liberty and went for Tradition in this game which for me seemed like the normal option anyway, considering the limits of 3 cities. I delayed Theology to built the Temple of Artemis and other infrastructure but it did not feel that bad because at least I built a few wonders. (ToA, Oracle, Hanging Gardens, Maccu Picchu). I had an early friend in Polynesia and then I made 3 more ( Sweden, Aztecs, Inca). England hated me all game for apparently no reason while Mongolia acted as if I didn't exist until the late game when they tried an attack and got wiped out in retaliation. I chose a Scientist as the first GP, and then Engineer and Merchant and built improvements with them.

t100.jpg

The first important moment in the game was turn 160 when I entered Modern Era and I decided to backstab/attack everybody except Polynesia to gain some cash. I took 2500 from Inca and 2500 from Aztecs, I used the money to buy Banks + Stock Exchange in all cities. I remained tech leader until the end game but with Polynesia just behind. I chose Freedom as my Ideology in order to have access to the Voluntary Army when the time comes. My friend Polynesia kept some units near my area and it was bothering me. I paid him to attack other people but he did not move his units. He denounced me the next turn too. I couldn't grow the cities very well without any CS allies and without a food pantheon but the internal trade routes helped a lot.

t160.jpg

From this point on the game I started to lose interest in playing the game as best as I can, and I just wanted to finish and as a result made a lot of mistakes. Polynesia got strong and I had to make some army eventually. Something particularly amusing is the fact that in this game I proposed World Fair 2 times and both times I voted against the resolution because I wasn't sure I had enough production. The third time I won it easily. In the endgame, I put 0 production into International Games, which was won by Polynesia, opting instead to produce army.

Around T200 Polynesia + Mongolia attacked me. I got to Plastics and upgraded the Voluntary Army to Infantry, I used them to take out Mongolia for their Chichen Itza and Zeus Wonders, while at the same time I switched all my caravans to land since the sea was pillaged and I had no fleet to combat Polynesia's submarines. I used Infantry + Artillery and 4-5 citadels to take out Polynesia's capital city. Brandenburg Gate + Military Epic were very useful to produce strong army.

The ending was not particularly interesting as from ~t250 I just set all units to sleep and hit next turn (really!) but science was pretty low and it took a long time to reach Internet.
    I actually had the victory ready in turn 297, by holding 1 concert into Polynesia land and 1 concert into Aztec land but I did not bother to calculate and held both in Polynesia, which was overkill and left the Aztecs uninfluenced. I had to wait a few turns more for faith generation to buy the 2500-faith Musician. Neither Aztecs or Polynesia were even close of building the spaceship, I can't understand how these AI's were not programmed to try to win games.
    Total Tourism output 69.000
    Wonders built: 20
    Religion: Earth Mother/Tithe/Feed the World/ Swords Into Plowshares/Itinerant Preachers.

Pretty relaxing game, a bit easier than other edge games, I think.

edge122victory.jpg

policies_edge122.jpg

Shark Diver likes this.
  9. Shark Diver

Shark Diver King

You certainly did a great job on the Pop growth part, much better than I did. I compared your t160 pic to where I was. Your Cap is already 30 pop and mine is just 18. I'd love to see the inside of your cap at that stage if you have it saved. We both built Artemis and HG, so it's a fair comparison. Were you pleased with your city locations?

Obviously, the difference had a lot to do with your growth follower beliefs. I considered taking Swords Into Plowshares instead of Religious Community. My logic was that there weren't that many tiles in the cap or expos to work, so no need to grow a monster (and I already had Artemis and HG). Were those your first choices or just best available?

Nice game and thanks for sharing.

10. Shark Diver

Shark Diver King

EDGE#122 - t179 Update

Spoiler WF Success and Ideology :

My cities are pretty much maxed out on decent tiles to work, so the lack of growth hasn't been a big concern. Will definitely need Chemistry and Fertilizer for the late game, but this is not going to be a populous empire.

Monte made peace with Incas, but I easily bribed him back to DoW after the 10 turns were up. Incas and England are allies and denouncing me very loudly and rudely. I do not want to give Incas a moments' peace, and will start ping-ponging Kammy and Monte on them for the rest of the game. The Mongols got back into the game by killing nearby CS and stealing a bunch of techs from me. Now I've got to keep my eye on them the rest of the game, because they are not happy that I'm occupying their native lands. England appears to be holding on too London and she's being a pest in the CS game with her extra spy.

Here's the Incans actually getting some damage on an Aztec city. Are they actually holding their own?

Aztec City t154.png

I was able to time a Golden Age for WF almost perfectly. Perfectly would have been the turn before, IMHO. All cities are ready to suicide for this WF as Monte has a big hammer lead and I'm up to 3rd. This is going to be closer than I'm used to.

GA WF t164.png

Genghis DoW's my CS ally Almaty and I want Almaty's Foreign Legions when I get to Replaceable Parts. So I sent some units over there to block him, and to keep an eye on his troop movement.

Block t176.png

I was first to Ideology and went with Freedom. That growth policy will get be back to growing.

Normally, I stop building WF when I get to 850-900 hammers. With only 6 Civs allowed, 2 of which are unlikely to put anything into the Fair, I figured I'd need at least 1100 before breaking off to get my Public Schools up in cities 2&3.
    The Cap was busy using the Long Count GE for Eiffel and Broadway the next turn with a faith purchased GE. I'll use the upcoming Great Count on a Musician and Broadway will be themed. Karakorum was working towards Opera House so my Hermitage wouldn't be delayed too much.

Theming t179.png

I was right about the 1100 hammer need:

WF t179.png

3 Cultural CS have requested I build Porcelain Tower, so that's next up for the cap (8-turn build but nobody else is showing Rationalism). My only RA's are with Kammy, but I want those CS and that free Scientist is nice in an empire without rivers. Here are my spies going to take over the CS:

Spies t179.png

The cap is a bit behind on infrastructure but will be ok, and the Wondermongering has been worth it:

Cap t179.png

I'm up to 17.1% influence with Monte and Archeologists are coming soon. I need to send him and Kammy trade routes soon, as Kammy has been coming on strong in Culture. I'll be passing Monte for the total Culture lead in a couple of turns now that I've won the Fair.

Tourism t179.png Culture t179.png

Here's the empire. Next on my list is to get factories up to get ready for Archeologists. I'm going to need to build 14 or 15 just to fill up my buildings. Kammy took Louvre already, so those digging spots are going to be up for competition. Time to get Kammy to war with Incas.

Empire t179.png

Culture and Science are going to have to carry this game, as my growth, production, faith, and GPT are all below par. Maybe my CS can give me a push.

Next update will be with my finishing time. I'm pretty sure I can now defend myself from any single attacker, but I'll be readily accepting Foreign Legions. I've built a couple of Galleas as well, and have defensible Coastals if someone were to send something like....SoL's my direction.

Given the early tourism, I think if the Archeology game goes well that I can finish sub-240.

11. Tiberiu

Tiberiu Warlord

Spoiler :
    Yes, the growth part was ok, but in all other aspects I think your empire is more solid. Btw, I must say I would have never expected such a settling place like you did, and it looks like it worked very good for you.
    I was pleased with all my 3 city locations, I can say. Normally I would have settled at least 1 more city myself, possibly to connect the Gold luxury to the north.

Also since growth was not really that important - as you too seem to suggest, I think I ended up hurting myself too much by needing to buy so many luxuries, at times I had to sell units to make GPT to buy luxes.

luxuries.jpg

Religion: I can say my religion did not really help that much during the game and it was a pretty poor religion, there were better options. I knew it's suboptimal, I normally rarely take Swords into plowshares because I declare wars very often or stay at war with 1 city state for XP training but I took them just for the sake of trying to grow very tall. Religious Community surely would have been better and a good choice in general. And Feed the World also seems underwhelming, especially for an empire with few cities. Religion mostly helped late game when I had a 50% tourism boost in capital thanks to World Religion. Another weak choice for me was to not complete Rationalism as it would have allowed me to reach important techs faster.
    Lastly I totally messed up the World Congress in this game. All in all, still a win, albeit clearly nothing very special.

Looking forward to see your endgame, there are many useful things for me to learn from a very different and efficient approach.

the inside of my capital who is receiving 2 caravans - 1 production =11 hammers, 1 food = 11 apples: (Sistine+Globe were built in Chichen Itza, Writer's Guild+Oxford are in Tikal) capital.jpg

I see you like comparing stuff too, here were my demographics:
    demographics160.jpg

and tech tree + policies
    science.jpg
    policy160.jpg

Shark Diver likes this.
  12. Shark Diver

Shark Diver King

Spoiler Thanks for the response :

After seeing your cap working those ocean tiles, the food vs production argument is interesting. Your pop-driven science is very nice, but I suspect my Cap will end up more productive once it grows enough to work more mines.

The other interesting thing I saw in comparison is that you already had a science lead. I thought I was doing pretty well in tech, but was still 3rd or 4th at this stage of the game. Of course, we had different AI experience, but I don't anticipate taking the tech lead until around t200.

This really was a tough GPT game.

"(Sistine+Globe were built in Chichen Itza"

OK, I'd love to know how you pulled this off. I rarely get an expo good enough to build a Wonder.

Last question: what was the thinking for opening Exploration when you did?

13. Tiberiu

Tiberiu Warlord

I settled Chichen Itza quickly by buying the settler, (early I declared war to most civs so that I can sell my salt and my GPT for cash. I then also feeded it quickly with a cargo ship, and there were enough forests there to cut for production during wonder construction. Sistine Chapel was easy as AIs rarely tech Acoustics, but Globe Theatre was lucky, I wasn't sure I would make it but it was worth the risk.

About Exploration - main reason was to have access to a happiness policy if I need it. Also 3 production / city seemed good enough, and of course, I built the Louvre. These all seemed good at the time but in truth puting the same policies into Rationalism would have been better. I just tend to underestimate Rationalism. :)

Shark Diver likes this.
  14. Shark Diver

Shark Diver King

Interesting. I haven't used that early war/Gold exploit very much, but it seems to be a nice early boost. I'm going to play around with that.

Did any of the Warmonger penalties affect the game?

15. Tiberiu

Tiberiu Warlord

As far as I am aware, diplomatical penalties are very low in the ancient era. It is not uncommon to declare war and few turns later after the peace to receive a DOF proposal. By the medieval nobody seems to care about what you did in the ancient era. Except declaring war on a friend. But very early that's impossible anyway.

In a way, considering how time and years are simulated in Civilization, i.e each turn represents more years in the early game compared to late game, it makes sense.
    But gameplay-wise, it's exploitable.

Shark Diver likes this.
  16. Shark Diver

Shark Diver King

EDGE#122 - T255 Culture Victory

Spoiler Hope Those Blue Jeans Fit :

My CS dominance was really carrying me. I had 5 Cultural allies (Genghis had conquered the 6th).

CS t203.png

Passing Cultural Heritage Sites was a nice boost, given 14 Wonders in the Cap and 3 inherited in Karakorum.

Monte eventually killed off England and Kammy finished off Mongolia very late, so we had a 4 Civ finish. Monte took a couple of Incan cities somewhat late, but they held their own against a rather massive Aztec army well enough to buy me breathing room.

I was worried about International Games given that Monte had 2.5x my production even with 54 turns of continuous Golden Age. I was thinking 2500 hammers would be enough to secure it, so diverted to beat Monte to Brandenburg by 1 turn and still easily won:

IGt234.png

After that, I got my Tourism buildings up in a timely manner, even in Karakorum (where I rush-bought a Lab). Then it was all about building enough advanced military to ensure no sneak attacks could catch me off guard. Incas followed me into Freedom and became good friends. Kammy got ticked off at my CS dominance and Wondermongering and started denouncing. Monte remained an obedient enforcer and good trading partner, but never DoF.

I faith bought 2 Musicians and sailed them the short distance to Monte's recently settled expo right near Karakorum. This should have ended the game on t251, but he must have popped a Writer. I ended up having to wait for the naturally spawned Musician 2 turns later. Kammy had a decent Culture game, but I didn't need any concerts to push him over the top.

GM's t250.png Tourism t250.png

This was a strong early-game cap, but it was pretty average the rest of the way. The Observatory was nice, as the lack of Pop in all cites kept Science from every reaching >1000. Still, I almost got to Internet (I used the Rationalism finisher for Telecommunications but that was just for show). I didn't get tech lead until t206 and never ran away with a lead.

Cap t250.png Tech t254.png Econ t250.png Empire t250.png

Culture carried me all game, as I had time to open Patronage after finishing all of the important trees. Theming bonuses helped. I built Uffizi just for one last GA for theming.

SP t254.png

Monte really was a beast. Had I not won WF and IG, this game would have been much longer.

Demos t250.png

Very fun game with some unique challenges. I'm getting better at the Long Count strategy, and the early Admiral turned out to be a good call. God King paid off and helped drive the early game. I know there's a Mod out there where the GS/GE/GM/GP's all have their own counting, but Maya would seem to be overpowered using that, and a big part of the challenge of playing them is to figure out which GP to select. It'll be interesting to see if anyone plays this game without a runaway Monte.

How soon until EDGE#123? I'll have some free time again soon. Can I put in a request for an Aztecs game soon?

Nizef and Tiberiu like this.
  17. Shark Diver

Shark Diver King

Yes, you can get away with being a bit of a bastard early on, and I always worker steal a near neighbor knowing the early caravan (for science) will almost always get a quick DoF. I was just wondering if warring more than one early Civ might draw a bit more ire. It sounds like you've already answered that with your early game play, so maybe I'll be a bit meaner going forward.

18. Nizef

Nizef King

Monty is always fun to play. At the moment I am tied up with RL stuff so it will probably take a few days or a week. In the meanwhile, I could recommend #110 and #47. The former is a DomV challenge but the map is soooo good that it could easily be played to a CV as well. The latter is more demanding and not a lot of lakes to utilize. Those who tried early Dom on that map were more or less crushed, while a CV would make sense.

19. Shark Diver

Shark Diver King

Tiberiu suggested I take a shot at the Portugal Game #65. The way he described it sounds like a real challenge to get a victory. I can't pass that up, so take your time on the new map as it looks like I'll be busy playing a hard map.

20. Nizef

Nizef King

Yes, #65 is just complete madness and together with #42 the toughest in this thread. Also #66, #72 and #86 are quite rough.