[EQMC1] Elite QM Challenger - Game One - Hi Everyone! :)

I'm not going to lie. I thought that tile might be tundra before we even moved, and now I'm more inclined towards settling in place and simply collecting the fur on capital border pops. I'm also inclined towards settling in place simply because we don't know what will eventually be the right side of our BFC, but I'm pretty sure whatever it will be will not be tundra, and I think we'll be more apt to get a strategic resource in our BFC for our capital if we settle.

That's my thoughts on what we know now. What are yours? :)

EDIT: also let it be known that I'm not against the tundra, but I generally would prefer not to have one in my capitals BFC in a continents map, especially considering we have three resource tiles already and will still easily get the fur benefits and a tradable one as well.

Definitely 1W. You get 1 useless tundra tile but 2 furs.

I vote 1W aswell. Getting the furs in your BFC will allow you to research alot faster early on + you can hold off on pottery a bit longer. This will really boost your research. Ofcourse working the furs will slow down your settler production, but you have plenty of forests surrounding your capital. So 1 chop/settler ought to speed things up (you may even consider just whipping).

I would have moved the scout one north of the settler to see what is there. Anyways, i would just sip right now and trust the mapgenerator. By moving one west you might waste a fish resource and the furs you can pick up with a second city.

btw, why did you choose marathon? Wouldn't a game take a very long time?

Definitely 1W. This is not close. The furs are far too valuable to throw away. If there is something to the east, another city will probably be able to work it.

Can you post the save, BTW?

Settle 1W for sure. Thi is not even close, IMO. Financial furs are gold mines- 5:commerce:1:hammers:1:food:1:) is huge, plus you gain an extra forest and hill for a very nice 4 hill capital with plenty of food to work everything. Definitely worker first - the corn is a much better tile to work than the crabs. Ag> mining> BW to start, then see what your scout shows about land/neighbors. I'd definitely consider chopping out the oracle for MC. GLH + colossus will be overpowering, and those furs will get you to PH very fast.

EDIT: I'll second the request for posting the starting save. :)

1W looks very good. I bet it's a trap, and you're settling on some strategic resource.

Even if iron or bronze shows up there it's not bad with the 3 food specials and 2 furs.

Sorry gents (and possible ladies) - I sleep a weird schedule, but have a few minutes before work.

I had hesitated on posting the save until I checked about the "HOF Validity" of these games, but being as I don't care and people would like to play shadow games, I have no problem with posting the save and will do so now. I'll edit the first post and link it there if possible.

I agree with the sentiments about the furs also, just thinking it could have been a solid second city, depending on the scouting. Every time I am in a "blue circle" and I move initially - I pay for it in the end no matter how good it looks!

However, I have seen only one person think settling in place was even a remotely good idea - so I will move 1W, settle - and post the new screenshot. I will be playing the first block of turns when I return from work tonight (early morning for most of you).

I'd like to say thanks for all the support though, I had a feeling this would be a lot of fun and it is - very much so - already! :)

Well, I know I won't get to say it often, but I'm gonna say "I told you so" on the fact that I knew we were going to miss out on a good resource by moving. So, we traded early marble for 2 furs. :(

I only played til the opening of year 3940, just long enough for me to toodle over and scout what we were missing (which may have been a suboptimal scouting move, but I simply couldn't resist. Working unimproved corn tile, building worker, researching Agriculture.

As I said, I'll be playing the first block of turns tonight, and I will gladly post the starting save if either someone can recommend a decent place to store it or I find one before I leave. Thanks for the input, once again, friends! :)

EDIT: obviously, we will still get the Marble on the second border pop, so this is not the greatest loss as we didn't lose out on quality tiles to improve. It may work out in the end. :)

2 fur > marble. These furs would probably been very hard to pick up with a second city as well compared to the marble

2 fur > marble. These furs would probably been very hard to pick up with a second city as well compared to the marble

Oh, I definitely agree. The "I told you so" was rather that I knew there was another resource over there, not that we made a bad decision. :)

OK folks, I found a spot to host the save with no problems... I'll be posting it here as well as in the initial post of the thread.

As in Sisiutil's great series that inspired the start of this one, I do ask that if you play a shadow game that you please keep any information about the map to yourself. I will not be submitting these games even though it's supposed to be for EQM, but I would still like to play the game as if I was submitting it to the HOF, which means absolutely no knowledge of the map or it's leaders, etc... I thank you for this courtesy!

OK, so I'll be getting ready for work in a moment. Going to take the laptop in and hopefully join the conversation if I have time at work (I am a manager, so it's quite possible if we are slow), but here's my thought so far.

Tech Path: finish Agri, Mining, BW. I'm guessing that we will want to go with masonry rather early now as well for wonder possibilities, but not too early as we won't be able to utilize it until the 2nd pop of our capital. Tech path is definitely an area where I feel my game needs work, so I'll be interested to hear where folks think we should go after we discover Bronze. We'll also probably want early pottery, even though the capital is hardly a "cottage paradise".

Scouting: after grabbing that goody hut, I'm thinking I will probably come back to the west and try to open as much land around the capital to discover possible sites for the second and third cities.

I would probably play till the discovery of Writing this evening, unless the majority of folks think that this is not far enough. This is the first time I've ever done this after all, so I will be guided by the community in this.

Thanks again to everyone for all the interest, make a poor bored guy smile! :)

JJ - you can attach the save directly to your post. Click "Go Advanced" and then "Manage Attachments

My firewall says that's a dangerous site and won't let me open the page. Follow lymond's advice and attack it directly to your post (use the little paper clip icon on the "reply to thread" page).

I know what I'd be thinking with this start: settle city 2 on the marble (looks like it'll be coastal) for auto connect to the capital, chop out the oracle there and take MC, chop a quick forge in the capital and run an engineer there to get a GE for bulbing MC and you're well on your way to BCs berserkers. GLH and Colossus later in the capital will give you a shot at a GM for bulbing CS. ;) OFC, make sure you're not isolated first. :lol:

Top Bottom