eurekas

craney1987

Warlord
I'm not sure if anyone else has suggested this, or if it's workable, but what I would like to see is multiple Eureka's per tech.
let's say maybe 3 or 4 for early techs and more for later techs. These would all have smaller weighting than the current Eureka's, but would seem more like we are actually "researching" the techs through experience.

eg. Sailing
20% build city next to ocean
20% build fishing boats
20% have seen another civs ships 3 times
with the remaining to be researched as per normal. These aren't exactly hard o meet and they all wouldn't need to be. Later techs with Eureka's weighted at 5% or 10% would mean that yes there would always be progression somewhere, but isn't that similar to how tech progresses in real life? We are always learning little bits of this and that?

I would prefer that eureka numbers and exact trigger were random in each game. Example:

War techs:
Kill 2-8 barbs
Destroy 1-4 barb camps
Kill 2-3 barbs with a swordsman

These would every game be randomly distributed to techs tagged as early 'war'. Then you wouldnt know how much you had to commit and what you would get. More realistic I think.

I like this idea too, expecially after having read Tom Chick's review.
Eureka triggers should be random, but at least categorized (military, economic, religious, technologic, etc).
This would still make sense, while avoid fixed best practices in every game.
About revealing to the player the current trigger for each tech, it could be a decision. Is it better to know how triggers are arranged in the current game (in order to build a research path and game strategy), or instead just have the surprise to discover it after the eureka has triggered off?

I had never considered the hidden idea but I think I like it.
could there be a compromise? Where say maybe the first eureka is revealed to us, but the rest are hidden. This first eureka would give us an idea of what we need to achieve in order to fast track the tech (and therefore what the hidden Eureka's may be(, So we could still plan a long term strategy, but we would still get genuine eureka! Moments when we meet those hidden criteria

You may have a look at Real Eurekas 2.1
He made a mod where Eurekas are random every game and may be hidden I the options.
The problem is that they change every time you reload a game :/
But when hidden, it doesn't change anything.

Related to your idea, mine was to divide the Eurekas in two parts :
-an easy one, like we have in vanilla, still called Eurekas, for 20%
-a harder one, called specialization, for another 30%

Top Bottom